Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/4/2008 4:31:32 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger
I have made my suggested improvements/changes previously (only units in combat effected, etc), but another suggestion is to restrict malaria effects to combat personnel ONLY (ie. any ITEM with AV greater than 1 (note ITEM not unit - so within a base force unit the combat troops ARE affected by malaria, but non-combat components NOT affected) - so support personnel, bulldozers, etc dont wither away).

And BTW - should it be effected or affected?????????????????? AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!! I hate english - and it is my language!

Affected in this case.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 451
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/4/2008 4:50:22 AM   
Flying Tiger

Thanks Blackhorse. Glad somebody knows right and wrong!!

Still no comment on the actual issue (ie. malaria) from AE team though.....

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 452
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/6/2008 2:32:48 AM   
Knavey

Thought I saw comments on the malaria issue in the Land thread.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

Post #: 453
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/6/2008 9:26:05 AM   
Andy Mac

Not really a lot I can say on it we are not making huge changes in this area although rest mode would have an impact.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 454
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/7/2008 6:36:11 PM   
Japan

QUESTION ABOUT AE

1] Will it be Possible for the Japanese to Build Pilot Schools, or in any Way Effect the amount of new Pilot's that gets availeble?

2] In realety, POW's post both a Problem and a Resours, will this in any facion be implemented, for example by adding an amount of Light Industry for every Divition the Japanese Destroy, who would simulated Forced Labour.. (or is this to Sencetive to be in a computer game maby..)

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 455
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/9/2008 8:26:39 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyland

A drydock (lenght 160m, depth 9.5m, width 22m) was build in Saigon in 1885 as well as some ship repair facilities (French Arsenal de Saigon).
The drydock and facilities are still in use nowadays : 10°47'7.00"N, 106°42'35.00"E in Google Earth.

Will AE have those facilities?

Thx

Interesting. I had no idea this existed. Was it used at all by the Japanese?

Andrew

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 456
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/9/2008 8:31:26 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

quote:

Hope this is right place to ask about Malaria zones (yet again?! - I hear you venting... ).

Did you change (or will you?) in AE criteria for deciding if units in a base within malaria zone are immune to malaria effects? Currently the only criteria - besides of explicit exclusion list based on base index (slot) - is Airfield SPS assigned to base by scenario designer. That is only units in bases with AF SPS > 8 are immune to malaria disease. That criteria does not seem to be very helpful (most such bases - like Singapore -are excluded explicitly anyway), is rather counterintuitive (I would expect actual size of AF/Port to be used in criteria instead), and from what I remember is inconsistent with the manual (well, yes I know, I know ...).
OTOH the change would be rather easy to do without (hopefully) much of side effect. Well, it always easier to talk then walk but I keep my hopes high

Any response from the AE team???? This malaria issue comes up in the forums AGAIN AND AGAIN!! We all vent our frustration at the current system.... but very little response from anyone on the team.

Please, is anything being done about the malaria zone effects?

I have made my suggested improvements/changes previously (only units in combat effected, etc), but another suggestion is to restrict malaria effects to combat personnel ONLY (ie. any ITEM with AV greater than 1 (note ITEM not unit - so within a base force unit the combat troops ARE affected by malaria, but non-combat components NOT affected) - so support personnel, bulldozers, etc dont wither away).

And BTW - should it be effected or affected?????????????????? AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!! I hate english - and it is my language!

I don't think there have been any changes to how malaria effects are calculated. But I do agree that port size as well as airfield size should be a factor in determining malaria effects. I will add this to my list of things to be checked, but that is a long list and not everything on the list will have time to be looked at, unfortunately.

Andrew

Post #: 457
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/9/2008 3:52:20 PM   
Japan

1] Will it be Possible for the Japanese to Build Pilot Schools, or in any Way Effect the amount of new Pilot's that gets availeble?

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 458
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/9/2008 3:56:05 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Japan

Sorry, but I don't really know. Perhaps ask in the air thread?

Andrew

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 459
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/9/2008 3:57:44 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Japan

QUESTION ABOUT AE
2] In realety, POW's post both a Problem and a Resours, will this in any facion be implemented, for example by adding an amount of Light Industry for every Divition the Japanese Destroy, who would simulated Forced Labour.. (or is this to Sencetive to be in a computer game maby..)

No, there is no provision for making use of POWs. Not a question of sensitivity, but of game scope.

Andrew

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 460
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/9/2008 4:23:08 PM   
JeffroK

Supresses thoughts about how the japanese used and abused their POW's

AB, 
Have you seen the series of booklets issued in WW2 which covered the terrain and characteristics of various points of the Pacific, and has maps of the areas??   I saw about 50 in the collection, had a quick read of the Manila booklet which had population details, industry etc about 50 pages.  The booklets are about 6" X 3".
The ones I saw were at Deakin Uni Geelong, if you, or anyone else is interested I could get the titles next weekend.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Post #: 461
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/9/2008 4:38:28 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK
AB,
Have you seen the series of booklets issued in WW2 which covered the terrain and characteristics of various points of the Pacific, and has maps of the areas?? I saw about 50 in the collection, had a quick read of the Manila booklet which had population details, industry etc about 50 pages. The booklets are about 6" X 3".
The ones I saw were at Deakin Uni Geelong, if you, or anyone else is interested I could get the titles next weekend.

No I haven't heard of these. Sounds very interesting! If you are able to borrow one or two I would be very interested to see them. You work in Southbank don't you? Might have to arrange a "business" lunch...

Andrew

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 462
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/9/2008 5:39:51 PM   
Skyland

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

A drydock (lenght 160m, depth 9.5m, width 22m) was build in Saigon in 1885 as well as some ship repair facilities (French Arsenal de Saigon).
The drydock and facilities are still in use nowadays : 10°47'7.00"N, 106°42'35.00"E in Google Earth.

Thx

Andrew

Saigon harbor facilities were controlled by japanese and used for exportation from Indochina to Japan (rice, rubber, tin, coal, manganese).
Saigon was also used as a stage for merchants convoys from Singapore to Japan.

I see no reason for the japanese not to use the drydock itself if needed.

Drydock in use (1931)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Skyland -- 6/9/2008 10:46:02 PM >

Post #: 463
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/9/2008 10:38:15 PM   
Alexander Seil

quote:

I assume you already suppressed any thought about the Allied treatment of Japanese POWs? There's hardly much evidence for the Allies having a high moral horse to sit on, in the Pacific at least

Although, it's rather unfortunate that many operational wargames ignore this issue. Certainly, shepherding, organizing, directing POW's to the camps and guarding them took up a lot of time and effort, although more so in Europe than in the Far East.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 464
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/9/2008 10:48:02 PM   
Skyland

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thx

Andrew

Saigon harbor facilities were controlled by japanese and used for exportation from Indochina to Japan (rice, rubber, tin, coal, manganese).

Drydock in use (1931)

Saigon drydock in construction (1886)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Skyland -- 6/10/2008 2:59:40 PM >

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 465
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/10/2008 2:07:15 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alexander Seil

quote:

I assume you already suppressed any thought about the Allied treatment of Japanese POWs? There's hardly much evidence for the Allies having a high moral horse to sit on, in the Pacific at least

Although, it's rather unfortunate that many operational wargames ignore this issue. Certainly, shepherding, organizing, directing POW's to the camps and guarding them took up a lot of time and effort, although more so in Europe than in the Far East.

Please explain more, apart from the disinclination to take japanese prisoners, who were disinclined to allow themselves to be captured, I find very little organised and officially sanctioned maltreatment, starvation & outright murder of japanese POW.

Always willing to learn a bit more.

(in reply to Alexander Seil)
Post #: 466
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/10/2008 2:09:31 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

quote:

AB,
Have you seen the series of booklets issued in WW2 which covered the terrain and characteristics of various points of the Pacific, and has maps of the areas?? I saw about 50 in the collection, had a quick read of the Manila booklet which had population details, industry etc about 50 pages. The booklets are about 6" X 3".

Andrew,

I've bailed out of the city and now have a 7 minute drive from home, sheer luxury!!!

I'll be back at Deakin on the weekend, I'll see if I can troll up the titles on the catalogue. (I'm sure they were US Army booklets, many about the Phillipines)

No I haven't heard of these. Sounds very interesting! If you are able to borrow one or two I would be very interested to see them. You work in Southbank don't you? Might have to arrange a "business" lunch...

Andrew

Post #: 467
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/10/2008 7:12:49 AM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please explain more, apart from the disinclination to take japanese prisoners, who were disinclined to allow themselves to be captured, I find very little organised and officially sanctioned maltreatment, starvation & outright murder of japanese POW.

I'm with Jeff on this one - what do you (Alexander) know about Allied mistreatment of Jap POWs?? I know of some very 'nice' (relatively speaking) prison camps for Jap POWs around rural Aus. And  i know that generally the Japanes soldiers chose not to surrender, but have not heard much (any??) about Jap POWs being mistreated. Please enlighten us!

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 468
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/10/2008 9:45:10 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm with Jeff on this one - what do you (Alexander) know about Allied mistreatment of Jap POWs?? I know of some very 'nice' (relatively speaking) prison camps for Jap POWs around rural Aus. And  i know that generally the Japanes soldiers chose not to surrender, but have not heard much (any??) about Jap POWs being mistreated. Please enlighten us!

I'm not with any of you on this topic. Crosses the line into politics. Take it elsewhere please.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 469
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/10/2008 2:58:03 PM   
Skyland

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thx

Andrew

Drydock in use (1931)

Saigon drydock in construction (1886)

Postwar picture (not dated)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Skyland -- 6/10/2008 3:01:06 PM >

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 470
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/10/2008 4:03:01 PM   
Andrew Brown

Thanks for the pics and info Skyland

Andrew

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 471
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/11/2008 2:36:09 AM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

JeffK

titleAndStar(1315,0,0,false,"","")
Matrix Legion of Merit

Hey Jeff, thought you were in Vic? But it sure is'nt raining here a whole lot!!!

Post #: 472
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/15/2008 9:55:09 AM   
JeffroK

AB,

The booklets I was talking about are as follows

ALLIED GEOGRAPHICAL SECTION
SWPA
TERRAIN HANDBOOK (About 50 in the series)
Published about 11/44

Chapter headings
INTRO & GENERAL DESCRIPTION
DESCRIPTION OF COASTLINE & LANDING BEACHES
ROADS & TRAILS
AIRFIELDS, POSSIBLE AIRFIELD SITES & SEAPLANE LANDING PLACES
PHISIOGRAPHY & VEGETATION
POPULATION, ADMINISTRATION & TOWNS
TRANSPORTATION & SIGNAL COMMUNICATIONS
RESOURCES
MEDICAL PROBLEMS
METEOROLOGICAL

I looked at the Manila & Manila City booklets, lots of maps & photos. Does your map show the Dewey Blvd Airfield?????
They cover all of the coasts fought over by the SWPA.

If you want some specific info let me know.

Post #: 473
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 6/23/2008 2:50:10 AM   
JeffroK

AB,

A further recce,

They also have the folio size map binders, not able to be borrowed but I could copy them.

Approx 100 in the shelves, they cover a wider area than the booklets, one was for the Kanto plain!

Jeff

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 474
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 7/9/2008 7:16:21 PM   
Charbroiled

I was wondering if ship traffic is still going to be allowed between India and Sri Lanka in AE. These 2 land masses are connected by "Adam's Bridge" (Rama's Bridge) and is only 3 to 30 feet in depth. Historically, it is only navigatable by small crafts.

It can easily be seen using Google Earth.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rama's_Bridge

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 475
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 7/9/2008 9:26:11 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

I was wondering if ship traffic is still going to be allowed between India and Sri Lanka in AE. These 2 land masses are connected by "Adam's Bridge" (Rama's Bridge) and is only 3 to 30 feet in depth. Historically, it is only navigatable by small crafts.

It can easily be seen using Google Earth.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rama's_Bridge

No.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 476
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 7/15/2008 2:41:14 AM   
Cap Mandrake

The Burma Road between Lashio and Kunming does not cross the Red River as shown on the standard WITP map....or if it does it was a smaller tributary. It does cross the Salween and Mekong (Lancang) which were significant obstacles. In fact, I think what is labeled the Red River is actually the Mekong.

Is this corrected in AE?

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 477
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 7/15/2008 7:29:05 AM   
bradfordkay

Since it was corrected on Andrew Brown's map as used in CHS, I expect that it will be correct in AE.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 478
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 7/15/2008 12:00:49 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

The Burma Road between Lashio and Kunming does not cross the Red River as shown on the standard WITP map....or if it does it was a smaller tributary. It does cross the Salween and Mekong (Lancang) which were significant obstacles. In fact, I think what is labeled the Red River is actually the Mekong.

Is this corrected in AE?

Yes it is corrected in AE. The Burma Road crosses the Salween and the Mekong (which gets short shrift on the stock map), and not the Red River. As bradfordkay mentioned I corrected this on my WitP 1 map as well.

Andrew

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 479
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 7/15/2008 4:38:11 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Is this corrected in AE?

Yes it is corrected in AE. The Burma Road crosses the Salween and the Mekong (which gets short shrift on the stock map), and not the Red River. As bradfordkay mentioned I corrected this on my WitP 1 map as well.

Andrew

Ah, thank you sir. It appears I am late to the party.

BTW...is it just me or does anyone else think the Sierra Nevada and the moutains on Formosa are too silver/grey?
Perhaps it is just the sharp demarcation at the hex border that is jarring

In contrast, the mountians in Yunan province are absolutely beautiful. Are there two kinds of mountain terrain? The map of SE Asia is absolutely beautiful. The roads and rail graphics are great.

Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI