Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 4/25/2008 9:25:04 PM   
Barthheart

Sept. 1 1940

Germans pour over the Polish border!

Poles pull back to protect Warsaw.
(Normally I collapse all the leftover Poles to get the free PP. This game it would have been 11 PP, but there are enough of them left I felt it might make a good defence and cost him some time and men.)

French and British governments pledge the protection of Polish borders... but really just start protecting their own interests.
(BEF landed in France and attahed to the French GHQ. Maginot troops start repositioning to protect border. The Germans will lose the "Blitz" card if he occupies the border forts so I'm not staying while he can bombard me with arty!. French start building engineers to build more forts. Also PP production stepped up because I'm going to use the "French Prepared" card, costs 60 PP to play. This gives the French 2 armoured corps plus cancels the German bonus against the French.)

Royal Navy bombards Kiel in hopes of keeping the Kreigsmarine bottled up in the Baltic.
(This is only mildly annoying to the Germans but keeps him honest. But if it's ignored, I'll land troops there and be a real pain.)

Commonwealth nations around the world flock to the Empire's call to arms.
(Canada starts making destroyers, India starts making engineers to build a road/bridge to China, South Africa ships troops to fight in Italian East Africa, Australia starts recruiting troops to spread around the Pacific Islands.)

Attachment (1)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Post #: 1
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 4/28/2008 2:01:31 PM   
seille

Please keep us informed how this version plays compared to the original waw32.
I´m interested to know how the changes "feel" in the game for both sides
Things they make possible/impossible/harder and so on.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 2
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 4/28/2008 9:37:24 PM   
Barthheart

Oct. 1, 1939

Poland Surrenders! Germans occupy Warsaw!
(Well I didn't delay his capturing Warsaw even 1 turn. So I only got 6 PP out of left over Polish troops/HQ, ie wasted 5 PP. To work the delay would have had to have been many turns more, he has until April to get ready for invasion of France, and since this isn't possible, I blew this operation completely. Oh well, always go with what you know works!)

Australia sends troops to protect Pacific interests of the Empire!
(First troops sent to Rabaul)

South Africa sends troops to help against Italian East African agression!
(Not much else happend this turn. Building lots of supplies and PP for coming upgrades.)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 3
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 4/28/2008 9:45:20 PM   
Barthheart

Nov. 1, 1939

Royal Navy withdraws from German coast!
(Well, after 2 turns of blasting German troops, he rolled up with arty and Carrier Air. I lost a Crusier and a Battleship for his 1 arty and 5 carrier air. Not a good trade but he was forced to build 20 carrier to drive me off and as they are not as good as fighters I'll count that as 10 fighters not built as well.)

Canadian Navy puts to Sea!
(4 destroyers leave Canada and take up station to guard against u-boats in the Atlantic.)

(British commandos and troop ships positioned to fight for Norway when the Germand invade. Keeping Norway out of German hands does two things: keeps Swedish Iron Ore from Germany (1000 supplies) and protects Lend-Lease lanes to Russia when the time comes. If Germany owns Bergen then you lose some of the lend-lease you send to Russia)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Barthheart -- 4/28/2008 9:49:26 PM >

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 4
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 4/28/2008 9:50:57 PM   
Barthheart

Nov.1 , 1939

France's Gen. DeGaulle convinces government that a new kind of war is coming and the old arrangement of armour units will have to be changesd.
(Used this card this turn. Germans won't know this until he plays his "Blitz" card in April.)

(Expensive, but worth it!)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Barthheart -- 4/28/2008 9:52:37 PM >

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 5
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 4/28/2008 9:58:09 PM   
Barthheart

Nov. 1, 1939

Indian forces on the move in asia!
(Indian engineers are preparing to build a road and brides to Hanoi to later help the Chinese. Also the Saigon garrison moves to Bangkok. If Germany establishes Vichy after the fall of France, Hanoi and Saigon and all the land east of that north-south river become Japanese. If Western troops are there when that happens, they are lost! Road to Hanoi can only be completed up to second bridge until hat time so we don't lose the engineer unit.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 6
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 4/29/2008 3:45:25 AM   
Barthheart

Dec. 1, 1939

Sitzkrieg.... this is the term the press is using to describe the Allies indecision about attacking the Germans while the Germans continue to mass along the borders of France and the Low Countries.
(Not much happening. Winter set in so a lot of northern production is going to supplies. India, South Africa and Australia continue to build troops. I need to build more PP to upgrade my troops.)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 7
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 4/30/2008 3:29:56 AM   
Barthheart

Jan. 1, 1940

Sitzkreig continues in Europe, while in other parts of the world teh Commonwealth continues to gear up for a wider conflict.
(Still not much happening, so I'll show a pic of the Allies production schedule.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 8
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/1/2008 2:43:01 AM   
Barthheart

Feb. 1, 1940

Still the mighty armies of France and Britian sit idle as the German war machine grinds Poland under it's iron heel of oppression.
(Still quiet and winter. Winter uses a lot of supplies, so not much being built either. Here's what the Aussie delpoyment looks like so far.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 9
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/9/2008 5:09:37 AM   
Barthheart

March 1, 1940

The German grip on Poland seems firm as ever as Allied forces do nothing.
(Still nothing happening and still winter. Madly producing PP for research.)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 10
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/9/2008 5:15:27 AM   
Barthheart

April 1, 1940

Snow in April! No April Fools joke here folks, this has been an especially long and hard winter. Just one more thing to add to the tension and dread in Europe.
(Late snow is rare and really heurts the Germans more than the French as hie readiness doesn't fully recover by the time he wants to attack. Also, something new, I guess, is that I can't build forts in winter! Very frustrating and putting a wrench in the French defence plans. I usually have threee forts around Paris by now, but have one so far!!! Used PP to get Fighter II upgrade. Real hard decision about this Infantry II or Fighter II?!? I desided that Fighter II will help more to keep England safe from sealion than Inf II.... we'll see....)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 11
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/9/2008 6:02:17 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

(Late snow is rare and really heurts the Germans more than the French as hie readiness doesn't fully recover by the time he wants to attack. Also, something new, I guess, is that I can't build forts in winter! Very frustrating and putting a wrench in the French defence plans. I usually have threee forts around Paris by now, but have one so far!!!

The problem isn't that you can't build forts in the winter. The problem is that you're not producing enough supplies.

My mod that Tom used a few versions back as a new base for WaW introduced constructable LocTypes having a supply cost, in addition to PP and EP. If you have insufficient supplies in the engineer unit's HQ, then you can't build the LocType. Since many players neglect their supplies during the winter, especially with the very high supply costs in the last few versions, you can be in for a nasty surprise...

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 12
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/9/2008 6:14:35 AM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

(Late snow is rare and really heurts the Germans more than the French as hie readiness doesn't fully recover by the time he wants to attack. Also, something new, I guess, is that I can't build forts in winter! Very frustrating and putting a wrench in the French defence plans. I usually have threee forts around Paris by now, but have one so far!!!

The problem isn't that you can't build forts in the winter. The problem is that you're not producing enough supplies.

My mod that Tom used a few versions back as a new base for WaW introduced constructable LocTypes having a supply cost, in addition to PP and EP. If you have insufficient supplies in the engineer unit's HQ, then you can't build the LocType. Since many players neglect their supplies during the winter, especially with the very high supply costs in the last few versions, you can be in for a nasty surprise...

James,

I don't think that's it. Eng unit has 690 EP, HQ has 500+ supply, 140 PP. Just trying to build a fortification - 250 PP, 4 PP, 66 supply....

EDIT: DOH! Just checked again and you're right HQ only has 54 not 540 supplies. I'm maddly producin supplies but just keeping up. It's this damn long winter!!!

< Message edited by Barthheart -- 5/9/2008 6:22:11 AM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 13
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/10/2008 3:26:01 AM   
Barthheart

May 1, 1940.

IT'S WAR!!!
German troops have poured across the frontiers of many peaceful European nations! Denmark falls without a shot being fired! Belgium, Luxemburg and the Netherlands all crushed by the fast moving panzers of the German Reich! Lille France captured! Norway invaded! Uboats spotted in the North Sea!

The Allies are slow to respond to this lightening attack. If it weren't for the forsight of French Gen. De Gaulle, more of France would have fallen in the opening thrust. Even so the loss of troops on the Allied side has been tremendous!

Canadian destroyer squadrons viciously attack the ubout menace in the North Sea. French and British troop in France dig in for a tough fight.

(He attacked as expected this turn and my "France Prepared" card has helped... but maybe not enough. He captured Lille which activates Italy.... My Canadian DD units maul the uboats by sinking 4 without loss. Nad he's got sub II!!! And inf II!!! I seem to be behind a bit. But I also notice that he is heavy into mechanisation - lots of tanks, halftracks etc. This will cost him a lot of supplies in this version... hope that slows done his troop rpoduction later on.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 14
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/10/2008 3:29:35 AM   
Barthheart

May 1, 1940.

Elsewhere in the world:
British troops invade Italian controlled Libya and take Bardia and advance on Tobruk.
(This is more annoying things I like to do. If he dosen't respond I get NA for little effort and can threaten Italy easily.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 15
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/10/2008 3:33:19 AM   
Barthheart

May 1, 1940.

Also:
British troops in Berbera set out to destroy the Italian control of Ethiopia.
(There are rifles, staff and a destroyer here. Many people forget about them. I like to kill them quick as the destroyer can threaten supplies to Egypt. Also don't want him to farm the HQ for 5 PP! If he watches his battle report closely he'll catch on... but it's worth the try.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 16
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/10/2008 3:58:59 AM   
zook08

quote:

Feb. 1, 1940

Still the mighty armies of France and Britian sit idle as the German war machine grinds Poland under it's iron heel of oppression.
(Still quiet and winter. Winter uses a lot of supplies, so not much being built either. Here's what the Aussie delpoyment looks like so far.)

Why do you garrison islands in the pacific?

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 17
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/10/2008 6:43:42 AM   
Barthheart

I'm attempting to keep the Japs from getting any free airbases/ports in the Pacific. It should make it harder for him to control the sea on the advance to his home islands.... I hope....

(in reply to zook08)
Post #: 18
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/10/2008 6:59:10 AM   
zook08

I still think the naval modelling is a bit broken here. Fleets can operate for a year without resupplying, and with no air/naval interception possible, airbases are pretty useless unless someone parks his fleet directly adjacent to your island.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 19
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/11/2008 1:02:59 AM   
von altair

So what version you guys are playing? If something else than waw33c1, it will be bugged and should not attack at all at winter, since mods are not there :)

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna

(in reply to zook08)
Post #: 20
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/11/2008 5:39:02 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: von altair

So what version you guys are playing? If something else than waw33c1, it will be bugged and should not attack at all at winter, since mods are not there :)

LoL...don't you mean that they should take advantage of the lack of mods and attack like fiends during the winter?

(in reply to von altair)
Post #: 21
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 5/12/2008 6:25:48 AM   
von altair

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: von altair

LoL...don't you mean that they should take advantage of the lack of mods and attack like fiends during the winter?

Well, there was a smile after my post. Everyone can take that advice how they own personality wants to take it. As we all know, there are many ways to act in such things :)

< Message edited by von altair -- 5/12/2008 6:27:07 AM >

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 22
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 6/1/2008 4:15:58 AM   
Barthheart

June 1, 1940

France and the Allies fight on in the face of overwhelming German forces! The BEF makes a daring move and re-captures Antwerp!

(France is holding reasonably well. However I have started to move some of the forces toward the coast. I can then rescue them with cargo ships and bring them to England for defence. The BEF make a dash up the coast and grab Antwerp. This more to annoy him than anything else. Just below then in Brussels is only a few paras and a lot of aircraft. I didn't have enough AP to attack it though. This should bring some forces back from the front.... hopfully...)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to von altair)
Post #: 23
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 6/1/2008 4:16:41 AM   
Barthheart

June 1, 1940

British troops land in Norway! This move is to dnigh the Germans access to Swedish iron shipments. Norway protested the landing of troops but did not oppose it.(I always fight for Norway, as noted above. This should be a good fight.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 24
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 6/1/2008 4:17:40 AM   
Barthheart

June 1, 1940

The war in the desert is going the Allies way. The Italins appear to have tried to abandon Tripoli, lossing many men to the Royal navy.
(This was a surprise to me, he pulled out of Libya! He lost many troops {grey bubbles} to AS from my ships that were stationed near Malta. Also lots of supply lost {blue bubbles}.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 25
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 6/1/2008 11:00:44 AM   
Joshuatree

How can you tell they tried to leave Tripoli instead of just reinforcing it? I mean the bubbles would appear just the same I think?

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 26
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 6/1/2008 11:22:46 AM   
seille

The allied fleet next to Tripoli would show the axis troops if there would be any left.

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 27
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 6/2/2008 3:47:24 AM   
Barthheart

July 1, 1940

BEF surrenders at Dunkirk! French lose heart and abandon Paris to spare it the carnage of war!(I managed to save 130 staff, 100 Eng. and 70 rifles. Had to disband a lot of troops though to "farm" the PP that would be lost if left to be killed. Played the Abandoned Paris card. I had hoped this would give the Germans Paris which would activate Russia. Odd that it did not happen....ah well next turn the Russians will wake up.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 28
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 6/2/2008 3:48:06 AM   
Barthheart

July 1, 1940

British forces advance in Norway! Oslo bombed from air and shelled from sea. Norwegians not impressed...(Managed to do some heavy dameage to his invasion forces. Also cut off help from the mainland. However I left my bombers in Bergen without ground protection. If he lands troops there, they are toast!)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 29
RE: IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) - 6/10/2008 7:57:53 PM   
Barthheart

August 1, 1940

Paris occupied by Germans! Some of France's brave warrior's have managed to make it to England thanks to a massive sea reacue including local village boats. (Well he took France... not much surprise there. At least I lasted a couple of turns more. We'll see now if he sets up Vichy France or not. Here's a look at the Allied production.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> IRONCROM-vs-Barthheart-WAW-(Allied view) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI