Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/2/2008 9:59:19 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: maikarant

Cuttlefish,

In face of your excellent narrative, especially concerned the japanese homelands, I wonder if you read

Japan at War.

It is an excellent read and almost the only collection of Japanese - civilian and military - interviews about Japan in wartime. I'd recommend it for anybody. :)

Thanks for the recommendation. In a bit of a coincidence a friend told me about this book just a few days ago and offered to loan me a copy. I hope to start reading it soon.

(in reply to maikarant)
Post #: 2941
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Honor - 6/2/2008 10:00:03 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 4, 1944

Course: None
Attached to: TF 33
Mission: Surface Combat
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 464

Orders: Prepare to sortie

---

“But what if Kira had died while they were waiting, of illness or something?” Oizuma asks. “They would have lost their chance for revenge and been forever disgraced.”

Riku stretches in his hammock. “But Kira was waiting for them, that first year,” he says. “Their attack would have failed.”

Oizuma places a fresh bowl of water in Benzaiten’s crate and closes the lid. “But would that have mattered?” he says. “I think that dying in a bold attack would have been closer to the spirit of Bushido than what they actually did.”

“But they would have lost!” says Riku. “Kira would be alive and they would have no revenge. What do the rest of you think?” Shiro, Yoshitake, and Shoji have all been listening to the debate between the two about the forty-seven ronin, the tale of honor and revenge from the early eighteenth century.

“Does it really matter?” Yoshitake asks. “It all happened a long time ago. The time of the samurai is long past.”

‘I’m not sure that’s true,” says Shiro slowly. Everyone turns their attention to where he is sitting against a bulkhead, whittling. Shiro lowers his knife and the piece of wood on which he is working.

“I’m not sure that it doesn’t matter,” says Shiro, clarifying. “I think the choice they faced is one that we may all face, sooner or later.” He pauses, searching for words. The others wait; they have all learned to respect the quiet man’s opinions. “We are fighting a strong enemy. Our inclination, as Japanese, is to follow Bushido and attack. But if we do, we would face the same fate as the ronin would have; we would be defeated.” Shoji makes a scoffing noise, and Shiro looks at him.

“It is true,” he says. “I do not like to say it. But think. We have seen our carriers burning, the pride of our strength destroyed. Two summers ago we were fighting around Fiji and New Zealand. Last summer we were fighting around New Guinea and New Caledonia. This summer it seems we will be fighting in the Carolines and the Marianas. Where will we be fighting next summer?” Shoji makes no answer to this, and the others are all silent.

“It is hard to do as the ronin did,” Shiro says, “to conserve our strength, to plan and wait until the moment is right. But I think that is what we must do if we are to have a chance to win.”

“There are a great many,” Oizuma says quietly, “who would say that honor is more important than victory or defeat, and many of them are admirals.”

Shiro nods. “And if we are ordered to die gloriously,” he says, “then we will, for we are men of the Imperial Japanese Navy and we understand loyalty and honor. But I fear for Japan, for my family and for the future.”

A somber silence fills the room after Shiro finishes speaking. It is late. The men turn in, one by one, each occupied with his own thoughts until he falls asleep.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2942
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Honor - 6/2/2008 10:15:31 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Yet another brilliant scene. From what I know, the story of the forty-seven ronin is as popular in Japan as the story of Robin Hood is in Western culture -- and similarly, it involves going outside the law. The different reactions of the various crewmen are very interesting to read.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2943
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/2/2008 11:54:27 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 5, 1944

Fuel: 475

Orders: Prepare to sortie

---

Captain Ishii takes the orders from the young ensign standing in front of him and looks them over. When he is done he looks up.

“I see,” he says. “Thank you, Ensign. Give my greetings to Captain Shibuya and please inform him that Hibiki will be ready to sail.”

“Yes sir,” says the ensign. He salutes and leaves, heading back for his boat. He has several other ships to visit. Captain Ishii turns to Lieutenant Sugiyura.

“Lieutenant, please recall all troops ashore and pass the word that we will be leaving Saipan tonight. Make all preparations to get under way.”

“Yes sir,” says Sugiyura. “Do we know where we are going, sir?”

“We are going to rendezvous with some heavy cruisers off Ulithi,” says Ishii. “From there the two forces are going to attack enemy shipping and facilities at Woleai.”

“Very good!” says the lieutenant. “Do we know what kind of opposition we will be facing, sir?”

“Somebody might,” says Ishii. “I hope so. But I don’t have a clue.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2944
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/3/2008 9:35:16 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 6, 1944

Course: South
Fuel: 434

Orders: Attack enemy shipping and facilities at Woleai atoll

---

Shibuya’s task force makes their appointed rendezvous with the heavy cruiser division, four heavy cruisers and six destroyers. Tomorrow the two task forces will move a short ways south, putting themselves close enough to Woleai to sprint in under cover of darkness and get far enough away by daybreak to avoid the worst of any retaliatory air strikes.

The weather is fair and the seas moderate. The fair weather is not necessarily a blessing; the Japanese would much prefer heavy cloud cover for this operation. But the skies remain free of any patrolling Allied aircraft and the Japanese ships remain undiscovered.

Japanese reconnaissance shows only light enemy shipping at the atoll. It seems, so far at least, that the mission to inflict a damaging blow to the facilities there has a good chance for success.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2945
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/3/2008 10:17:51 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 7, 1944

Course: South
Fuel: 402

---

Hibiki is once again the trailing ship in the starboard column. The task force is moving slowly south, with the heavy cruiser task force following them by a couple of miles. It is late morning, and so far the day has been without incident.

The quiet comes to a sudden end. The center ship in Hibiki’s column, destroyer Akizuki, suddenly heels to port in a violent turn. The sound of a klaxon rolls across the water.

“Captain Ishii, sir, I see torpedo wakes!” calls a lookout, his binoculars trained ahead and to starboard. A blinker begins to flash from the destroyer immediately ahead, confirming a submarine attack.

The columns are thrown into disarray, the port column not only by the need to avoid Akizuki’s turn but to avoid the torpedoes as well. Aboard Hibiki Captain Ishii issues quick orders and Hibiki turns to starboard and charges back down the torpedo tracks, seeking the submarine that launched them.

“Sonar?” he barks.

“Sir, I have a contact,” says the sonar operator. “Fifteen degrees to port, range 800 meters.” Ishii orders a course change to port and waits. “Contact is still there,” says the sonar man, “but it’s fading a little. He’s running, sir.”

“Going deep to lose us and then change course,” growls Ishii. “Let’s get him before that happens. Prepare for depth charge attack.”

The Y-guns are manned and ready. Hibiki raises the pennant indicating that she is launching a depth charge attack and sprints over the sub’s position. At Ishii’s order the Y-guns rattle and hurl their destructive loads to either side. A moment passes and then the sea boils in Hibiki’s wake.

“Bring us around again,” Ishii orders. “Set the charges for 200 feet this time.” Again Hibiki passes over the spot and launches four depth charges.

“Engines ahead one quarter,” Ishii orders after the charges explode. “What do you have, sonar?” The sonar operator hunches forward as the destroyer slows, adjusting his instruments and concentrating. After a moment he makes a frustrated gesture.

“Nothing, sir, we’ve lost him,” he says. “I am sorry, sir.”

“It’s not your fault,” says Ishii, though he is obviously unhappy. He turns to the rest of the bridge crew. “Maybe we hurt him, anyway. But I bet you a month’s pay that he broadcast our position before he attacked. We may have some visitors before long.”

Hibiki rejoins the task force, which has sorted itself out and is back in formation following the attack. Akizuki is unscathed, though it was a close call. The ships continue south.

---

“Here they come,” says Taiki, standing beside the forward 25mm AA mount and looking south through his binoculars. Around him his gun crew puts on their helmets and gets ready to fire. “I count ten planes, American B-25 type,” he says. It has been less than two hours since the submarine attack. The enemy is right on schedule.

Taiki continues to track the planes as they draw closer. “Altitude is 3000 meters. No, wait, what are they doing?” As the B-25s come on they drop in altitude until they are barely above mast height.

“Is this a torpedo attack?” he mutters, then checks the position of the ships ahead. The enemy is now so low that there is a real danger of hitting friend instead of foe. He orders his gun to track a plane out of line with any of the ships in the task force and waits to give the order to open fire.

What develops is not a torpedo attack but something even more terrifying. The bombers come in low, blasting ahead with their heavy machine guns, and attempt to bounce their bombs off the water into the sides of the Japanese ships. Their have been rumors of this new enemy technique but no one aboard Hibiki has ever seen it in practice.

The task force dissolves into a swirl of independently maneuvering ships as anti-aircraft fire sleets outward towards the oncoming planes. No plane comes directly at Hibiki, but Taiki’s crew and the other AA guns fire in support of the ships under attack.

The attack ends as quickly as it developed. The enemy planes roar close by overhead and then depart, chased by a few last bursts of anti-aircraft fire. Akigumo has taken a bomb and machine-gun fire but the other ships are unhurt. They linger long enough to make sure that the damaged destroyer can return safely to Saipan unaided and then they head south, nine ships now instead of ten. Behind them come the cruisers, still intent on their mission of destruction.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2946
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/3/2008 10:26:57 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

What develops is not a torpedo attack but something even more terrifying. The bombers come in low, blasting ahead with their heavy machine guns, and attempt to bounce their bombs off the water into the sides of the Japanese ships. Their have been rumors of this new enemy technique but no one aboard Hibiki has ever seen it in practice.

More pulse-pounding action! If Hibiki hasn't seen skip-bombing until March '44, she's indeed a lucky ship.

Wolffpack must be annoyed that both his submarine attack and the airstrike went after DD's instead of the more important heavy cruisers.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2947
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/3/2008 10:36:53 PM   
Feinder

Actually, the skip-bombing would have been (nearly) worthless vs. the CAs.  Even if the B-25s passed all their checks and carrying 2000# GPs, skip bombing is vs. the belt armor, and would have done little to the CAs (unless they were Furutakas).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2948
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/4/2008 9:39:26 PM   
Cuttlefish

I don’t say very much about the game as such in this AAR, but I wanted to step out of the storytelling role long enough to give a nod to my opponent. Recently in the game hundreds of Japanese land-based aircraft attacked the massed Allied carrier force. The result, coming as it did in the summer of 1944, will probably surprise no one: the Japanese planes were annihilated. Not one hit was scored on the Allied ships.

I was philosophical about it when I sent the turn to wolffpack – I really hadn’t expected anything else – but his response surprised me. He thought that watching Japanese planes being wiped out like that made the game less fun for both players and suggested redoing the turn with his carrier forces being a little more spread out.

So we did. This time the Japanese again suffered heavy losses but a CV took a torpedo. In addition a large strike lunged past the fleet carriers and did major damage to his replenishment task force, sinking two CVEs and damaging others. My opponent cheerfully accepted the result and the game continued.

This gesture of sportsmanship comes in a tightly contested game. The style of this AAR tends to obscure wolffpack’s presence, but I thought this was worthy of mention.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2949
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/4/2008 9:54:42 PM   
Mike Solli

This brings another point.  It's really too bad that Wolfpack can't enjoy this wonderful AAR that the rest of us look forward to every day.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2950
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/4/2008 10:14:32 PM   
Mynok

Why can't he? Isn't this AAR a good deal behind the game in time frame?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2951
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/4/2008 11:16:29 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

iirc, he has been allowed to read at least some of it.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 2952
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/4/2008 11:23:51 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

iirc, he has been allowed to read at least some of it.

Right. The game is far enough ahead these days that I've told him he can read whenever he wants to.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2953
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/5/2008 12:37:39 AM   
Cuttlefish

March 8, 1944

Course: North
Fuel: 367

---

Night lies over Woleai. It is a dark night; the moon is visible but is only a thin sliver low in the sky, two days past new. Hibiki and the other ships in Captain Shibuya’s task force arrive off the northeast corner of the atoll and turn west, cruising outside the encircling reef. There is no sign so far of any opposition and any shipping present seems to have already fled.

Still the Japanese ships go warily. The darkness can conceal many surprises and the enemy knows they are coming.

The Japanese ships are now in single column, with Hibiki second from the rear. They have not gone far when suddenly the night is ripped by an explosion. Directly in front of Hibiki destroyer Kazagumo has been struck by something on the port side forward. The destroyer slows and sheers out of line.

“Torpedo?” says Captain Ishii. “Or was it a mine?” The lookouts have spotted no torpedo wakes. Ishii orders Hibiki to come in close to render assistance. Extra lookouts scramble to the bow to watch for mines, though there is little chance of seeing them in the dark water until too late.

The explosion has revealed the presence of the Japanese ships to watchful eyes and there is a swift response. The Japanese are not caught off guard, however. As Hibiki slows searchlights stab out from the forward ships in the column. Their probing glare reveals half a dozen enemy torpedo boats slipping stealthily towards them through a gap in the reef.

The two light cruisers and the forward three destroyers all open fire. The torpedo boats are caught in a horrible position, lacking room to maneuver and unable to return fire. Four of the six are caught in a hail of shells and sunk. The two trailing boats, however, are able to turn back into the lagoon and escape into the darkness.

Kazagumo’s captain signals that he thinks his ship has been mined. The destroyer is down a little at the bow but reports the flooding is under control for the moment, so the two destroyers rejoin the column, Kazagumo limping along at the rear.

The task force proceeds ahead warily, now wary of mines. The next attack, however, comes from another squadron of six torpedo boats. These bear down on the Japanese column from ahead, but again alert lookouts spot them coming. The light cruisers turn swiftly to uncover all their guns and open fire. It is not easy to hit such small, fast opponents in the dark, but the Japanese fire quickly finds two of the torpedo boats. The resulting fires make easier targets of the others and the surviving four turn and flee.

On continue the Japanese ships. They approach the western end of the atoll and Captain Shibuya is about to contact the cruiser force to let them know that they may proceed with their bombardment when tracers suddenly lance out of the darkness from behind the column. The two surviving torpedo boats from the first attack have returned. Creeping up on the Japanese they now launch torpedoes and open fire on damaged Kazagumo.

The torpedoes miss but 20 mm shells rake the destroyer. Kazagumo returns fire.

Aboard Hibiki the rear 5” turret joins in and other destroyers turn to help. To Lieutenant Kuwaki’s frustration Kazagumo hits both targets before Hibiki can claim another torpedo boat kill. One of the torpedo boats takes a direct hit from a 5” shell and explodes, while the other is set afire and left adrift. Kazagumo has more casualties but is still seaworthy, at least for the moment.

At last the night is quiet once again. Shibuya now signals the heavy cruisers, not failing to mention the location of the probable mine field. Hibiki and the other ships turn north as the cruisers and their escorts move in to begin their work. As the atoll recedes behind them secondary explosions on the low, flat islands are already sending columns of flame high into the night sky.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2954
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/5/2008 1:31:20 AM   
John 3rd

Well written Sir.

I think your comment about Wolfpack is quite nice.  I think we forget about your opponent while reading the narrative.  He made a very gallant offer!

We just had something similar occur on the Forlorn Hopes AAR where I made a major mistake but caught it (thanks to my loyal readers) before anything terrible could occur.  I think it is one of the strengths of this forum that--while intensely competitive--WitP is about fairness, playablity, and fun!

BANZAI to Wolfpack!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2955
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/5/2008 3:16:50 AM   
Mobeer

Talking of carrier battles in 1944, I just fought one against the AI. Almost the entire Japanese carrier fleet sank 1 CV and 3 CVL without loss. Except that is for 250 aircraft, including just about every veteran pilot the fleet had. Average experience is now about 45, and I don't know whether to celebrate or cry.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2956
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/5/2008 4:15:12 AM   
John 3rd

Reality...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 2957
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/5/2008 10:34:43 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Aboard Hibiki the rear 5” turret joins in and other destroyers turn to help. To Lieutenant Kuwaki’s frustration Kazagumo hits both targets before Hibiki can claim another torpedo boat kill.

And yet another gripping combat scene! At least Kuwaki now has an example he can point to for his complaint about removing one of the after 5" turrets.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2958
RE: Small Ship, Big War - Orders - 6/6/2008 2:13:39 AM   
Cuttlefish

March 9, 1944

Fuel: 331

Orders: Proceed to Osaka

---

Kazagumo is diverted to Saipan. The eight remaining ships of the task force are ordered to return to Japan and dawn finds them making good speed to the north. Long wakes trail behind them as they steam towards home.

“Good morning, sir,” says Lieutenant Miharu. “Did you sleep well?”

“Quite soundly, all four hours of it,” grumbles Captain Ishii. An ensign hands him a cup of tea, which he accepts with a grateful nod.

“We are now out of enemy air range,” says the lieutenant. “Course is north, speed 24 knots. No sign of enemy submarine activity.”

“That fact that we suffered no air attacks on the way out is a good sign we did some damage,” comments Ishii. He sips at his tea. “Go get some rest, Exec. I relieve you.”

“I stand relieved,” says Lieutenant Miharu. He salutes and then heads below. Captain Ishii squares his shoulders and turns to face another new day.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2959
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/6/2008 2:17:04 AM   
Cuttlefish

March 10, 1944

Fuel: 302

---

Riku goes off duty and comes out on deck to get some air. He finds Oizuma standing by the port rail and joins him.

“Hey, Snake Man,” he says. “Looking at something, or just thinking?”

“Hello, Ariga,” says Oizuma, looking up. “Just thinking. There’s something about watching the water go past, it is very soothing.”

“I think that technically we are going past the water,” says Riku, “but I know what you mean. It must be why fountains are so popular in gardens.”

Not far from the ship a fin cuts through the water. Both men get a clear look at the shark before it falls astern, diving down and away from the noisy destroyer.

“Big one,” says Riku. “Four meters, at least.”

“I’ve seen those big blue ones before,” says Oizuma. “What kind of sharks are they?”

Riku shrugs. “I don’t know. Maybe Takahashi does, he knows a lot of stuff. Petty Officer Takahashi!” Taiki, who is passing by, strolls over. Both sailors come to attention before Taiki tells them to relax.

“What can I do for you two troublemakers?” Taiki asks.

“Those blue sharks, Petty Officer, do you know what kind they are?” Riku asks.

Taiki shakes his head. “I don’t know anything about sharks,” he says, “except that they eat you if you fall in the water. But I’ll bet that Chief Shun knows. He’s right over there.”

“No need to bother him…” Oizuma says quickly, but it is too late. Taiki already has Shun’s attention. The Chief walks over to the small group and the sailors again come to attention.

“Forgive the interruption, Chief,” says Taiki, “but we have a question about sharks. The big blue sharks, the ones with the large tail fin, what are they called?”

“Blue sharks,” says Shun.

“Yes, Chief Petty Officer Shun, the blue ones,” says Oizuma.

“That’s what they are called, idiot. Blue sharks,” growls Shun.

“Oh,” says Oizuma. “I see.”

Shun steps to the rail and looks down at the ocean before returning his attention to the others. “They are attractive fish,” he says. “All sharks are. Graceful and perfectly suited to their purpose.”

“I never thought of them that way, Chief” admits Taiki. “I did not grow up around the water, as you did. I mostly worry about them eating me if I ever have to go overboard.”

Shun shakes his head. “I have swum with and near sharks many times,” he says. “A man in the water has little to fear from them, unless he is bleeding. Usually.”

“Usually, Chief Shun?” Oizuma asks a little nervously.

Shun grins a wicked grin. “Yes, usually,” he says.

“What is the largest shark you have ever seen, Chief?” Riku asks.

“It was a whale shark, and those are truly harmless,” says Shun. “It was around 12 meters long.” He pauses. “Once, as a boy in the Ryukyus, I found a shark tooth on the beach,” he says. “I took it home and measured it carefully. It was 12 centimeters long, almost 17 centimeters on the diagonal.” He holds his big hands apart to indicate a tooth of truly alarming size.

The others make sounds of amazement. “How big would such a shark be?’ wonders Taiki.

“Big. Very big,” says Shun. He gestures at the ocean. “The waters now beneath our keel are among the deepest in the world, did you know that? No one knows what is down there. The spirits of the ocean guard many secrets. We sailors, we spend our lives on the surface and some make the mistake of thinking they understand the sea. We don’t. Not until the ocean swallows us and takes us down to the depths in her final embrace will we know, but what we learn there we can never tell. The ocean keeps her secrets.”

Shun falls silent for a moment and turns to look back out at the ocean. The others say nothing, not daring to intrude on the big petty officer’s thoughts. After a moment Shun turns back to face them.

“Leave sharks alone and they will probably leave you alone,” he says. “It’s a better deal than you will get from your fellow humans.” He gives Taiki a nod and departs.

After he is gone the others are quiet for a moment, then Oizuma breaks the silence. “I wonder if he knows anything about sea snakes?” he says.

“Let’s ask him another time,” says Riku.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2960
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/7/2008 2:10:08 AM   
Cuttlefish

March 11, 1944

Fuel: 274

---

Move and counter move. It is a game of shogi spread out over thousands of miles, with consequences of life or death for the pieces involved on both sides.

The Japanese task force continues to move north. They maintain good speed and a steady course. It has been determined that, for warships at least, speed is the best defense against the enemy’s lurking submarines. All zig-zagging seems to do is to slow fast task forces down enough to enable enemy sub commanders to line up a shot.

Reports of known or suspected enemy submarine locations are brought from Hibiki’s radio room to the chart room, where they are carefully plotted. These locations come from aircraft sightings, from intercepted radio transmissions, and from successful or unsuccessful enemy attacks. The Japanese have gotten better at this as the war has gone on; they have had to. It was initially very difficult to get competent officers to fill anti-submarine warfare positions. Such duty was seen as having little excitement or glory.

But the IJN has worked hard to attach a sense of prestige to commanders who succeed in sinking enemy submarines and to foster competition among the various anti-submarine commands. The result has been more officers willing to serve, better anti-submarine doctrine, and a steady upswing in submarine sightings and sinkings.

All this, however, has not been enough. There are increasing numbers of lurking enemy subs and their depredations are becoming ever more serious. They have better torpedoes now, and better radar, and other tricks besides. Their biggest advantage, however, is one the Japanese do not suspect.

It has never occurred to the Japanese that their codes might be broken. As reports of submarine sightings reach Hibiki and other Japanese ships they also reach Allied naval intelligence. These are quickly decoded and relayed back to the submarines, which shift location as a result. The hunt for them must begin anew, and the game continues.

But for today, at least, the game goes to Hibiki and the other ships in Captain Shibuya’s task force. Despite the fact that the Allies have a pretty good idea of their course and speed no submarines are able to intercept them. The Japanese ships continue serenely on towards home.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2961
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/7/2008 4:19:01 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

It has never occurred to the Japanese that their codes might be broken. As reports of submarine sightings reach Hibiki and other Japanese ships they also reach Allied naval intelligence. These are quickly decoded and relayed back to the submarines, which shift location as a result. The hunt for them must begin anew, and the game continues.

But for today, at least, the game goes to Hibiki and the other ships in Captain Shibuya’s task force. Despite the fact that the Allies have a pretty good idea of their course and speed no submarines are able to intercept them. The Japanese ships continue serenely on towards home.

Even the American codebeakers are no match for the blessing of Benzaiten . . .

My compliments on updating with impressive speed!

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2962
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/7/2008 3:07:43 PM   
tocaff

I thought that the Japanese changed the codes after Midway & the Allies had troubles with the new ones.  Not that they didn't get more info out of them too, just not as good.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2963
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/8/2008 3:43:11 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

I thought that the Japanese changed the codes after Midway & the Allies had troubles with the new ones.  Not that they didn't get more info out of them too, just not as good.

That's not my understanding. There were a fair number of different codes used by the Japanese Empire during the war, some considerably more difficult than others. According to "Codebreakers: The Inside Story of Bletchley Park", the code for Japanese Military Attaches in their various embassies (or JMA code) was read by the Allies pretty much throughout the war. The code used by the Japanese Army Air Force, known as 6633, put up more of a challenge until an intact code book was recovered during the Solomons campaign. (A Japanese officer had buried it instead of burning it per standard procedure.)

Block B, the section dedicated to Japanese naval codes, was always a poor cousin to the mighty effort put forth by the American code-breakers. They managed to make progress nonetheless, according to the book. They did receive a rude shock when Emperor Hirohito issued his declaration to accept a surrender: they were so used to the terse style used in coded messages that they found the wordy language, even though it was in plain Japanese, very difficult to read through!

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2964
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/9/2008 10:27:41 PM   
Cuttlefish

March 12, 1944

Course: North-northeast
Fuel: 245

---

Benzaiten the python has been growing slowly but steadily. She is now close to five feet long, a thick-bodied and powerful snake. She weighs about 35 pounds, and Seaman Oizuma can certainly tell she is there as she drapes quietly and companionably across his shoulders. He is seated on the floor next to her crate, his back against the bulkhead, and he is reading aloud to the snake from a book he is holding.

“In a cave near the village of Koshigoe there lived a dragon,” begins Oizuma. “This dragon was especially ill-tempered and cruel, and he delighted in eating small children. He would emerge from his home in a cave by the sea, snatch up a child or two, and take them back to his cave where he would devour them.

“The people of Koshigoe were filled with woe. Their…” Oizuma pauses to turn the page, “…their tears fell like rain and they prayed to the heavens for some hero to come and spare their children and deliver them from the cruelty of the dragon. But no hero came and the dragon continued to prey upon the children of Koshigoe.

“Finally their pleas reached the ears of the goddess Benzaiten. She looked down from heaven upon their plight and her heart was moved to pity. She herself was the daughter of a dragon and knew something of their ways, and so she left the heavens and descended to the earth upon a cloud.”

Oizuma continues to turn the pages as he reads and the snake twines a little down his left arm and gazes at the book. It looks almost as if she is following along while Oizuma reads.

“The earth itself trembled at her approach. There was an earthquake, and out in Sagami Bay the island Enoshima was lifted up out of the waters. The goddess alighted upon the land and went straightaway to the cave of the dragon.

“The dragon emerged to find out what was going on and was immediately smitten by her great beauty. His wicked heart was transformed, and he begged the goddess to become his wife. Benzaiten said she would only consider his suit if he would from this moment agree to eat no more children and to leave the village in peace. To this the dragon agreed, and so the two were wed. Koshogoe became peaceful and prosperous once again.

“The grateful villagers built a shrine to Benzaiten upon the island she created, and the island and the shrine both are there to this very day.”

Oizuma closes the book and slips it back into his duffel. “That’s all for now,” he tells the snake. He lifts her off his shoulders and deposits her gently into her crate.

“You need to spend more time ashore, maybe go on a date or two,” comments Riku dryly from the door, where he has been listening since he arrived. “I think the strain of the war is getting to you. You are talking to that snake more and more like you think she can understand you.”

“Oh, hello Ariga,” Oizuma says. He chuckles. “I am not sure she doesn’t,” he says. “She seems to like it when I read to her, and she especially likes the stories about Benzaiten from that book of tales I picked up.”

“You’re getting to be as bad as the superstitious ones who leave offerings by her crate,” Riku says, shaking his head.

Oizuma smiles. “Thus speaks the man who was almost murdered by Chief Shun two years ago and who is now dating his daughter,” he says. “Explain that by any logical means, if you can!”

Riku opens his mouth and then closes it again. In point of fact he can’t explain it, but he prides himself too much on being practical to admit it. He is spared from having to find an answer by the noisy entrance of Shoji and Yoshitake. The accident-prone Shoji has a bandage around his forehead and the two men are laughing as Shoji relates the tale of his latest mishap.

Benzaiten ignores the noise, which she is well used to, and curls up inside her crate. There she falls asleep, dreaming whatever dreams snakes might have.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2965
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/10/2008 1:44:13 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

As mentioned, the USN/Brits were able to read the Japanese codes pretty much throughout the war... they continued to crack more and more codes, actually, which added to the intel information.

The problem is that after Midway, two self-seeking brothers (the Redman brothers [John and Joseph]), were “claiming sole credit for the victory at Midway”, and managed to get the glory having the actual codebreaker Captain Joseph John Rochefort stripped of his command (and credit).

The Redman brothers, despite having vastly more resources available for codebreaking (literally many 10's of thousand of people in the latter part of the war) managed to mishandle things - badly. Some experts (the charitable ones) feel that the Redman's added at least 6 months to the time of the war.

Imagine how many lives were squandered...

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 6/10/2008 1:46:39 AM >

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2966
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/10/2008 4:22:46 PM   
kaleun

Reaching new hights Cuttlefish.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2967
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/11/2008 1:01:48 AM   
Cuttlefish

March 13, 1944

Course: North-northeast
Fuel: 210

---

As dusk approaches the task force nears the Kii Channel. Barring a last-minute submarine encounter the ships should reach Osaka before midnight. The weather is cool but the skies are clear and the seas calm.

Eight ships return of the ten that departed Japan. The two damaged destroyers sent to Saipan will return later, when sufficient escort can be arranged. All in all the Imperial Japanese Navy considers the mission a success, though it is considered regrettable that the Allied carriers departed before the trap planned for them could be sprung.

For the crew of Hibiki there are no such reservations. They are returning to Japan once again after yet another foray into enemy waters. As far as they are concerned any mission with such an ending is a successful one.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2968
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/11/2008 1:03:53 AM   
Cuttlefish

March 14, 1944

Attached to: Disbanded in port
Mission: None
Fuel: 475

Orders: Escort duties as assigned

---

“Escort duties as assigned?” says Lieutenant Miharu. “That’s a little vague, sir.”

Captain Ishii shrugs. “It means things are quiet in the Pacific right now,” he says, “and whether we like it or not the initiative is with the enemy. What we do next will be in reaction to their next move. Meanwhile we wait in port until needed.”

His executive officer nods. Captain Shibuya’s task force has been broken up and its component ships are already being reassigned. Hibiki, at least for the moment, has gone into the pool of destroyers waiting at Osaka for escort assignments. Front-line destroyers are not usually chosen for such duties, but many important convoys depart from the Osaka/Kobe area.

“We will probably have some notice before we are sent out again,” says the captain. “You may assign leaves of up to three days at your discretion. Have Lieutenant Sakati coordinate any needed maintenance work with the appropriate officer dockside.”

“Yes sir,” says Lieutenant Miharu. “Will you be taking any leave yourself, sir?”

“Just a couple of days,” says the captain. “I have a granddaughter I am well behind in trying to spoil.”

“Very good, sir,” says the lieutenant. If Captain Ishii detects a wistful note in his executive officer’s voice he says nothing. He knows the lieutenant and his wife are childless and suspects that this is not from choice, but it is not his place to ask about it. It is a sad thing if true, though, he thinks. Lieutenant Miharu would make a fine father.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2969
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 6/11/2008 2:25:52 AM   
vettim89

Me thinks the LT will have a sruprise waiting for him when he arrives home

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2970
Page:   <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  97 98 [99] 100 101   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI