Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HUD3-CaS Any Interest?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> HUD3-CaS Any Interest? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HUD3-CaS Any Interest? - 6/10/2008 1:09:00 AM   
Bucks

G'day All,
Been busy with normal life so there's been a little bit of a lag in HUD3 progress. There has however been considerable movement on what I hope will become the HUD3-CaS database. This will deal with the period from the 1920's through to the end of the Suez Crisis.

At present my work has been focussed on the "Proof of concept" stage and attempting to convert the CaS values to something the H3ANW engine can utilise while staying true to the Admiralty models. I've also been working on a number of small scale scenarios so interested people can try the new concept DB out. Progress is going well and I've even had time to start on a WW2 picture collection for use with the new DB. I'll hopefully be able to upload the Alpha DB to the HUD3 site within the next week and will be working on a complete update of the stock scenarios for use with H3ANW 3.9.3.

Cheers

Darren

Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1
Post #: 1
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#1 - 6/10/2008 1:24:06 AM   
Bucks

Example Pic:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 2
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/10/2008 1:26:05 AM   
Bucks

Example Pic:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 3
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/10/2008 11:38:08 AM   
ruixilyy

To be honest, I don't think it is necessary to pay much attention to the WW2 database. I think it's better to make the present DBs more perfect. Such as you can add more platform pictures into the ANW DB and Old School DB, instead of making a new db while not taking enough care of the old ones. And what's more, I think the game is called "Advanced Naval Warfare", so the units and scenarios in the game should reflect the naval warfare of the missile age. As Larry Bond said, "the era of modern naval warfare began on October 2, 1967 when Egyptian missile boats launched four Soviet-made Styx..." Thus, it is better to avoid nostalgia in making the new DB. And if you do have finished the ww2 db, I suggest that you can let it as a separate download for those who like it. After all, the 21st century is much more essential to this game, which deserves more attention.

You should fire when ready!

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 4
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/10/2008 2:14:58 PM   
Bucks

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruixilyy

To be honest, I don't think it is necessary to pay much attention to the WW2 database. I think it's better to make the present DBs more perfect. Such as you can add more platform pictures into the ANW DB and Old School DB, instead of making a new db while not taking enough care of the old ones. And what's more, I think the game is called "Advanced Naval Warfare", so the units and scenarios in the game should reflect the naval warfare of the missile age. As Larry Bond said, "the era of modern naval warfare began on October 2, 1967 when Egyptian missile boats launched four Soviet-made Styx..." Thus, it is better to avoid nostalgia in making the new DB. And if you do have finished the ww2 db, I suggest that you can let it as a separate download for those who like it. After all, the 21st century is much more essential to this game, which deserves more attention.

How little some of us know...

Can I have a suggestion as to why I should provide further picture updates free of charge? The current platform picture sets are what AGSI have paid me for. You are more than welcome to add your own photos, the process is relatively straight forward. I am not an employee of AGSI now or at anytime in the past. I took a contract to provide a set of DB platform pictures for the USNI "The Gouge" project and after that anything I have provided is for you a bonus. I mean you've got what AGSI paid for. Check the HUD3 site for further updates to the ship and aircraft picture sets, I'll be updating these when I have "free" time. I may even do the subs if I manage to convince myself that people are even mildly greatful for somebody spending their own free time improving something they didn't pay for in the first place.

I made it plainly clear that the work I was doing was a "proof of concept", if you were aware of the future direction of the project and for that matter the close working relationship we have with Messers Bond and Carlson, then you may have seen where this was going. I have not forced anyone to "sign up" for this and I was simply making those who may be interested in this further expansion of the HUD series of Harpoon databases. Most of us would have at least a passing interest in this period, I mean this is where the technology for Modern Naval Warfare started.

Oh and another thing. The way I choose to publish my work is afterall my own business. When I need to use the "executive decision maker" that seems to be in force around here lately, I'll be sure to consult the peanut gallery. I forgot to add that this WW2 era work has actually exposed several bugs in the ANW code that may not have been found due to the speed of missile engagements and the ability to pick the errant behaviour from the assumed satisfactory state. Of course I'm more than happy to shut up shop, have Herman pull the contents of the HUD-II and possibly HUD3 from the PDB and we can all get on with our lives.

Piece of advice to the noobs, if you have nothing nice to say about someone, please say nothing.

Cheers

Darren

(in reply to ruixilyy)
Post #: 5
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/10/2008 2:28:48 PM   
EagleMountainDK

Hi Darren, where do I read more about this HUD3 project. I think it sounds interesting!

Cheers
Mark

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 6
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/10/2008 2:48:50 PM   
Bucks

Cougar,
I've only really started and it's really a project Craig Paffhausen and I will be working on in an effort to lay the ground work for the evetual Harpoon 5 iteration of the game. I'm currently doing some final testing of gunnery and there may be an issue with the armour protection system that needs fixing for both a WW2 DB and the modern DB's floating around. That's another one of those issues I found the hard way. Had HMS Renown sink after taking some strafing from Zeros and their 20mm cannon!!!!

So ok the 20mm warhead was listed as AP but against that armour OMG... Don't worry being looked at as we speak. I've also found some interesting results from weapon arc restrictions and aircraft cannon that may evetually lead to full mount arc implementation. I'll be passing the alpha DB along to Craig shortly and I need to quiz Larry and Chris about some of my conversions. I'll make further announcements and release some Combat AAR's lifted from my testing logs. Oh and I've managed to get straight running torps working as designed.

DB editors may wish to note that to have straight running torps perform correctly they require a non-functioning sonar to be fitted to the weapon in question. This will allow the torp to reach it's proximity check point and then resolve it's chance of hitting. If the sensor is a valid sonar type, the straight running torp will be subject to any anti-torpedo countermeasures.

Example #1
Torpedo with seeker with no I/O values or flags set. Type = Passive sonar.

* Straight Running Torpedo
* Target Range = 45.0
* Target Range = 77.1
* Target Range = 0.0
* target within .1NM
* Target in front of Torpedo
* Hit target

-- If your straight runners aren't resolving as above they aren't working correctly and you may have torps that seem to change targets and go after something completely different from the intended target.

Example #2
Torpedo with fully fuctioning seeker. Type = Passive sonar.

-INCORRECT DB setup.

* Target Range = 83.4
----------------------
----------------------
Weapon MkXII 17.7in Torpedo (Air) is resolving its attack against Liberty #2
Attacking a surface target with base pH: 36%
++++++++
+ Starting Point Defense Calculations.
+ Defending Unit is Liberty #2.
+ Target weapon is MkXII 17.7in Torpedo (Air).
+++++++++
Final pH: 36%
Roll: 66 (Miss)
----------------------

As I said stay tuned and I'll get everything updated asap.

Cheers

Darren

(in reply to EagleMountainDK)
Post #: 7
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/10/2008 5:40:18 PM   
EagleMountainDK

This sounds really great.... This means it will be possible to do carrier operations in the pacific and German raids against Allied shipping in the channel?

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 8
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/10/2008 6:17:00 PM   
ruixilyy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bucks

quote:

Can I have a suggestion as to why I should provide further picture updates free of charge? The current platform picture sets are what AGSI have paid me for. You are more than welcome to add your own photos, the process is relatively straight forward. I am not an employee of AGSI now or at anytime in the past. I took a contract to provide a set of DB platform pictures for the USNI "The Gouge" project and after that anything I have provided is for you a bonus. I mean you've got what AGSI paid for. Check the HUD3 site for further updates to the ship and aircraft picture sets, I'll be updating these when I have "free" time. I may even do the subs if I manage to convince myself that people are even mildly greatful for somebody spending their own free time improving something they didn't pay for in the first place.

I made it plainly clear that the work I was doing was a "proof of concept", if you were aware of the future direction of the project and for that matter the close working relationship we have with Messers Bond and Carlson, then you may have seen where this was going. I have not forced anyone to "sign up" for this and I was simply making those who may be interested in this further expansion of the HUD series of Harpoon databases. Most of us would have at least a passing interest in this period, I mean this is where the technology for Modern Naval Warfare started.

Oh and another thing. The way I choose to publish my work is afterall my own business. When I need to use the "executive decision maker" that seems to be in force around here lately, I'll be sure to consult the peanut gallery. I forgot to add that this WW2 era work has actually exposed several bugs in the ANW code that may not have been found due to the speed of missile engagements and the ability to pick the errant behaviour from the assumed satisfactory state. Of course I'm more than happy to shut up shop, have Herman pull the contents of the HUD-II and possibly HUD3 from the PDB and we can all get on with our lives.

Piece of advice to the noobs, if you have nothing nice to say about someone, please say nothing.

Cheers

Darren

Bucks, I never said anyone "SHOULD provide further pictures update" and I had no intention to disturb your "own work". What I said is using a "advisory mood"---all I said is just "well meaning advice". I do think the game will become more perfect if those selfishless people like you can make continuous contribution to the Harpoon game series. So, do not sneer new players like me and you'd better respect opinions from others, since most of us here love this game very much and everyone wants it to be more perfect in the future.

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 9
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/10/2008 8:07:31 PM   
CV32

Database designers don't get no respect.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
Post #: 10
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/10/2008 11:18:12 PM   
Dagooz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bucks

quote:

To be honest, I don't think it is necessary to pay much attention to the WW2 database. I think it's better to make the present DBs more perfect. Such as you can add more platform pictures into the ANW DB and Old School DB, instead of making a new db while not taking enough care of the old ones. And what's more, I think the game is called "Advanced Naval Warfare", so the units and scenarios in the game should reflect the naval warfare of the missile age. As Larry Bond said, "the era of modern naval warfare began on October 2, 1967 when Egyptian missile boats launched four Soviet-made Styx..." Thus, it is better to avoid nostalgia in making the new DB. And if you do have finished the ww2 db, I suggest that you can let it as a separate download for those who like it. After all, the 21st century is much more essential to this game, which deserves more attention.

Cheers

Darren

Bucks, I never said anyone "SHOULD provide further pictures update" and I had no intention to disturb your "own work". What I said is using a "advisory mood"---all I said is just "well meaning advice". I do think the game will become more perfect if those selfishless people like you can make continuous contribution to the Harpoon game series. So, do not sneer new players like me and you'd better respect opinions from others, since most of us here love this game very much and everyone wants it to be more perfect in the future.

Do I have to say I agree? Don't really see what the problem is in ruixilyy's comment.
Personally: I dont have the slightest interest in ww2 era for H3. Plenty of other games to deal with that.

(in reply to ruixilyy)
Post #: 11
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/11/2008 4:50:57 AM   
Bucks

Great you guys make it better I'm sick of trying and being the target of people who know nothing. Enjoy your lives mine just got so much better. The HHQ guys were right this is doomed. Well done Herman and lackeys you are so smart...

Goodbye all

PS, I expect all HUD-II and HUD3 platforms will be removed immediately from the PDB before I employ a good Solicitor (laywer) with international law experience. Pull them Herman, the whole lot and then start again like I had to.

Good bye and Good luck

Darren

(in reply to Dagooz)
Post #: 12
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/11/2008 9:44:30 AM   
Dagooz

Sugesting in any way that I have anything at all to do with Herman and lackeys is just about the biggest insult one can make.

I'm just stating my opinion and I'm sorry if that offends you. If you really want to make this DB then why don't you?

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 13
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/11/2008 9:44:36 AM   
EagleMountainDK

I'm sorry to hear that Darren, but I guess the H3 community is to "close to the edge" that small drops make the glass flood over.

Darrens DB is a user created MOD for H3 ANW....

< Message edited by Cougar_DK -- 6/11/2008 9:52:45 AM >

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 14
RE: HUD3-CaS_Pic#2 - 6/11/2008 11:06:25 AM   
FransKoenz

And....... What is the role of "Herman and his lackeys" ???????
"We" even did not respond in this whole topic!!! So, do us a favor and stop trying to involve us in your topics. It is not my fault that you see in any critic, comment, or contradiction, a plot, directed by Herman Hum.

If you really want to publish new or modified HUD, then please carry on! You don't have to ask for permission to others.
Personally, I am not interested in WWII within Harpoon environment, but that is my personal point of view. But, other players might be very interested in your work. Looking at the attachments, I say. Looks very nice indeed [finally a game version without the text "picture not available" when you click on the image button? That would be nice!].

Greetings,
Taitennek

(in reply to EagleMountainDK)
Post #: 15
RE: Harpoon - 6/11/2008 11:20:39 AM   
hermanhum

Hey "lackey(s)", you have failed to comply with Evil directive 46.1.2(a) Paragraph 1 that states:

quote:

All Lackeys, Minions, or Henchmen of Herman Hum must note such in their signature lines. Failure to do so will result in expulsion from the Evil conspiracy for undue lack of evilness.

Please apply corrective measures immediately.

(in reply to FransKoenz)
Post #: 16
RE: Harpoon - 6/11/2008 11:35:00 AM   
FransKoenz

quote:

ORIGINAL: hermanhum

Hey "lackey(s)", you have failed to comply with Evil directive 46.1.2(a) Paragraph 1 that states:

quote:

All Lackeys, Minions, or Henchmen of Herman Hum must note such in their signature lines. Failure to do so will result in expulsion from the Evil conspiracy for undue lack of evilness.

Huh??????

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 17
RE: Harpoon - 6/12/2008 4:33:45 PM   
Shemar

HUD3 was my last hope for a well organised and properly maintained Harpoon database...

(in reply to FransKoenz)
Post #: 18
RE: Harpoon - 6/13/2008 10:14:52 AM   
Blacklight

Enough with the petty squabbleing already !!!  I for one am VERY interested in a CaS database so by all means, continue working on it !!  I'd be more than willing to give it a shot because I love Command at Sea !! If a WWI Fear God and Dread Nought database can also be made from what was learned in the making of the CaS database, by all means make it.
Now.. another issue:

As a third party who has lurked on these forums for quite some time, I see nothing that Mr. Hum has instigated here.  There is no reason to fly off the handle because ONE person said that they weren't interested and your "Herman and his lackeys" comment was way out of line and uncalled for.   Threads filled with hairtrigger flames like this one are only going to scare people away from the game that we all love and want to see improved.  I am not a "Lackey".  I am NOT associated in any way with Mr. Hum.  This is coming from a completely neutral party.  Flames like this make us look like a bunch of squabbling schoolyard children.  Is that the image you want to project ?  All this will result in is more flames.. followed by bannings... followed by more bad blood on both sides... followed by the game not getting fixed and going into the crapper.  AGSI has a FANTASTIC resource right now in that bug list and the people who maintain and test it.  Don't blow this for the rest of us over something stuped !

Make the database.  I said that I'm very interested in it.  I would love a good WWII database that worked accurately. If you make it, and it's good, people will download it.  Make the database.  Don't start name calling and squabbles.

< Message edited by Blacklight -- 6/13/2008 11:06:37 AM >

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 19
RE: Harpoon - 6/13/2008 3:10:15 PM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: hermanhum

quote:

Yup, but you forgot the Seventeenth Amendment:

If something either goes wrong or causes a flamewar, then Herman Hum is to blame. If Herman Hum is nowhere in sight, then an unusually smart and stealthy Herman Hum is to blame

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 20
RE: Harpoon - 6/13/2008 4:57:39 PM   
FransKoenz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

If something either goes wrong or causes a flamewar, then Herman Hum is to blame. If Herman Hum is nowhere in sight, then an unusually smart and stealthy Herman Hum is to blame

and........ finally Amendement 17b...............

Or kick the dog

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 21
RE: Harpoon - 6/15/2008 6:09:59 AM   
FransKoenz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shemar

HUD3 was my last hope for a well organised and properly maintained Harpoon database...

For me H3.6.3 was a rather proper maintained Harpoon DB.

But, that's my personal opinion

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 22
RE: Harpoon - 6/15/2008 2:35:51 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: koelbach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taitennek

For me H3.6.3 was a rather proper maintained Harpoon DB.

But, that's my personal opinion

Harpoon 3.6.X was a properly maintained Harpoon - yes ! But a database? It is correct though, that the standard database worked at least correctly under 3.6.X, while it is rather useless under ANW.

I think he was trying to say that Harpoon 3.6.X was his last hope for a functional version of Harpoon. It was very close to complete (unlike the current state of ANW).

Post #: 23
RE: Harpoon - 6/16/2008 7:24:43 PM   
Shemar

Same... tired... old... ****...

I can see why everybody that has actually tried to put work into making the game better gets disgusted and leaves.

Fortunately my version of H3-ANW works pretty nicely and it gives me many hours of entertainment every week.

Happy whining... I'll be over there actually playing and having a good time.

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> HUD3-CaS Any Interest? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI