Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RESOLUTION

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Tech Support >> RESOLUTION Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RESOLUTION - 6/12/2008 4:07:19 PM   
tomas1931

IS THERE A WAY TO SET RESOLUTION MY MONITOR IDEAL RESOLUTION IS 1440X 900 BUT THE GAME SEEMS TO BE AT ANOTHER
Post #: 1
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/12/2008 4:42:02 PM   
Marc von Martial

Run it in windowed mode and expand the window. You can set it to windowed mode from the game preferences menu.

Manual page 26

(in reply to tomas1931)
Post #: 2
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/14/2008 12:24:50 AM   
Suribachi

My laptop will only go to 1440x900 also - I can't get to the game preferences menu to change to the windowed mode - all I have is the game music playing and a black screen with a white mouse pointer - tried several times to restart, but I keep getting the same thing. Any ideas on how to overcome this black screen and see a menu?

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 3
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/14/2008 12:30:55 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ratsass

My laptop will only go to 1440x900 also - I can't get to the game preferences menu to change to the windowed mode - all I have is the game music playing and a black screen with a white mouse pointer - tried several times to restart, but I keep getting the same thing. Any ideas on how to overcome this black screen and see a menu?

The game actually defaults to windowed mode, so you don't have to reach the preference screen to have it. Please post a dxdiag report for your system so we can look into this. Thanks.

(in reply to Suribachi)
Post #: 4
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/14/2008 12:48:57 AM   
Suribachi

Thanks - dxdiag attached

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 5
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/14/2008 4:06:52 PM   
Suribachi

I removed and then reinstalled the game with similar results - my computer hangs after the Gettysburg Address with the photo of Lincoln or just a dark screen, music is playing and either a white mouse pointer which can be moved around or the windows small blue circle in motion. I have to do a control/alt/delete to bring up the task manager to cancel game out to access my computer. Task manager indicates that the game/program is running, I am not getting a "not responding" message. Suggestions????????????????????

(in reply to Suribachi)
Post #: 6
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/14/2008 4:37:59 PM   
elmo3

One workaround might be to hit the <Esc> key during the Gettysburg address. That will cancel it and take you to the main screen.

(in reply to Suribachi)
Post #: 7
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/14/2008 5:10:25 PM   
Suribachi

I tried that <Esc> a few times during both the initial and re-load - nothing - still hangs up at the end of the intro. Only control/alt delete to the task manager gets me out from the hang up. Seems like the game is running in the background (behind the black screen), waiting for me to choose my options, play, etc... but I just cant see it. 

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 8
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/14/2008 6:07:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Ratsass,

Is there a newer audio driver for your system than the one you currently have (from March, 2007)? When dealing with Vista, we always assume buggy drivers first, since 95% of the time that's the problem.

Second, the video files are in your installation in the /dat/video sub-folder. If you go there and double click on the ones below to play them, do they play normally or cause issues like they do for you when the game launches them?

matrixintro
2by3intro
waw_intro

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Suribachi)
Post #: 9
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/15/2008 8:31:45 PM   
Suribachi

Just installed the latest audio driver from Realtek.

Video files play normally when clicked directly from the video sub-folder.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/15/2008 11:14:04 PM   
Violatile

quote:

I tried that <Esc> a few times during both the initial and re-load - nothing - still hangs up at the end of the intro. Only control/alt delete to the task manager gets me out from the hang up. Seems like the game is running in the background (behind the black screen), waiting for me to choose my options, play, etc... but I just cant see it. 

Erik,

I'm having the exact same issue. The game did indeed default to Windowed Mode upon first execution. Before I started my first scenario, I went into Preferences and changed from Windowed Mode to Full Screen. I restarted the game.

Since then, I cannot get back to the main menu. After the Gettysburg Address, whether I hit <ESC> or not, I see nothing but a black screen and can hear the opening music playing.

I think a workaround for this may be to manually set the resolution back to 'Windowed Mode'. Which file/parameter do I need to manually edit to do this?

(in reply to Suribachi)
Post #: 11
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/15/2008 11:24:47 PM   
Joel Billings

You can regain the detfault settings by going to the /dat/save directory inside the game's root directory and deleting the cwpref.dat file. I think the game options are in the wawgame.dat file, and you can delete that file as well just to be safe. We have at least one tester that has had problems with his Vista system in Full Screen mode but has been able to play in Windowed mode (can't remember if this was because he was using 64-bit Vista).

(in reply to Violatile)
Post #: 12
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/15/2008 11:33:49 PM   
Violatile

Deleting those files did the trick! I'm running 32-bit Vista so may not be the same issue as your tester.

I've included a DXDIAG in the hopes that it will help resolve the issue.

Thanks for the quick turn around, Joel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 13
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/17/2008 3:03:40 AM   
Suribachi

I installed an earlier released Nvidea driver and the game now works.

(in reply to Violatile)
Post #: 14
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/17/2008 3:13:40 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I installed an earlier released Nvidea driver and the game now works.

Interesting, that at least confirms a driver issue. Can you tell us what version you had and what version works fine for you?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Suribachi)
Post #: 15
RE: RESOLUTION - 6/17/2008 3:28:18 AM   
Suribachi

Erik,

I dont recall the new/latest update driver version that I had but the older driver is 7.15.11.129 from 5/14/2007. This older driver was offered as a non essential upgrade when downloading Microsoft updates. I always skipped installing it because it was so old. Thought I would give it a shot to see if it would make a difference - it did.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Tech Support >> RESOLUTION Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI