Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: unrealistic air combat...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> RE: unrealistic air combat... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/19/2008 11:46:40 AM   
Ike99

quote:

even at static and big targets like kassel and other cities in germany, the hit ratio of the RAF bomber command was more then bad in 1942. and remember: we are talking about big cities and not a comparatively small target like PM AND we talk about the royal air force, which was way ahead in electronic warfare compared to the japanese.

the hit ratio of the RAF nightbombers in 1942 was lesser then 20% of the bombs in a 5 KM radius around the target. an RAF commander said about the question, if he had attacked the right city: "all i can say is that we dropped xxx tons of bombs over germany." and that was the situation in 1942 even with target finding systems like GEE.

air-surface radar (the british HS and the US HSX) were in development at the beginning of 1942 and not ready for action. the japs even did not developd such a radar in WW2.

so when large 4E bombers of a leading nation in electronic warfare had such a huge problems in 1942 to find a huge germany city at night, then tiny carrier aircrafts of a underdeveloped nation (in radar technique) were more then ever unable to find a small allied base in south pacific at night, attack it precice (killing 600 men and causing 100-150 hits on the AF) and fly back to their carriers and land safety.

The British almost always bombed from at least 17,000 feet and considered that ¨Low Altitude¨ Most times they were even higher.

Doesn´t take much to throw a bomb off target by five miles when you´re 25,000 feet high.

When you´re lower that´s another equation.

Why would one expect dive bombers and torpedo planes to be able to hit a 135 meter ship with a fair degree of accuracy as they did, yet expect them to miss what is at least probably a 1500 meter airfield illuminated by parachute flares almost 100% of the time?

Besides, if the British scored around 20% from what was probably an average bombing altitude of at least 20,000 feet in the dark...I would think my hit rate of, probably around 20-30% from between 3-5000 feet would be right in line with ¨realistic¨ It´s pure speculation of course. Seems logical though.

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 91
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/19/2008 8:53:44 PM   
tocaff

Gather & check your facts.  A large fixed target was hard to hit.  Now check on the definition of the British for the area of radius that they considered a hit.  What you might consider a miss just might have been considered a hit for those times.

A small moving target is much harder to hit from any altitude.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 92
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 12:02:41 AM   
Ike99

quote:

Gather & check your facts. A large fixed target was hard to hit. Now check on the definition of the British for the area of radius that they considered a hit.

I did gather and check my facts. If you do have some contradictory facts, post them and not some general ¨gather your facts¨ post.

quote:

A small moving target is much harder to hit from any altitude.

How do you figure a land based airfield to be a ¨small¨ & ¨moving¨ target anyways?

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 6/20/2008 12:10:37 AM >

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 93
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 1:01:37 AM   
Tactics

Interesting thread here.

I’m playing WITP, but not multiplayer since I’m too chicken; and because I’d still don’t fully understand production, yet.

.....but it seems to me this is just about PVP – Player vs. Player.

It doesn’t matter what game it is, orcs and elves, rainbow six or UV. Some people want to try and re-make history and see if they can do better, or recreate a knight vs. knight sword fight. Others just want to win, the end justifies the means with those people - This is PVP. Get used to it! PVP Happened, OMG! Thats what they always shout.

If I wasn’t having fun or thought some joker was gaming the game and hiding behind alleged facts or dodging the issue by posting obscure tidbits – I’d drop the game. Screw it.

Just log out and wait for the ganker to leave, then come back and find someone who thinks more like you.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 94
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 1:05:51 AM   
tocaff

Uh huh, and your facts are from where?  Don't ignore this question like you do to all of the others.  I want to read these "facts" of yours from the source, not on your say so.

Why is it for instance that when a daylight raid made by the US 4E bombers over Germany dropped their loads with the "vaunted" Norden bomb sight and had to go back and do it again against a sprawling industrial complex because all but a few bombs hit the actual target?  In WWII the radius of an area hit was huge compared to today so precision bombing then was a joke compared to today.

Land based airfields were small in comparison to cities.  Many airfields in the area covered by UV were nothing more than a small area carved out of a jungle, not like an airport serving cities of today.  I offer up Henderson on Guadalcanal as an example of this.  It was used by single engine planes (small) because it was small at first.  Facilities at Henderson were non existent at first, example: refueling was done from 55 gallon drums with a hand pump.  Moving targets are the ships you referred to, or did you forget?

Todd

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 95
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 2:42:04 AM   
Ike99

quote:

I’m playing WITP, but not multiplayer since I’m too chicken; and because I’d still don’t fully understand production, yet.

I´m not sure anyone does really.

quote:

Others just want to win, the end justifies the means with those people - This is PVP. Get used to it!

That´s why the games have PBEM code security.

quote:

Uh huh, and your facts are from where?

Here is a good place to start Tocaff...

Night Strikes on Truk

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 96
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 3:40:40 AM   
tocaff

So specially trained and radar carrying planes made the attack that you talk about.  The dateline here is 1944 while UV doesn't cover anything later than 1943.  The planes were USN and not IJN or IJA.

All this shows me is what I already knew. 

Todd

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 97
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 5:20:37 AM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

The few that say the IJN could pull off a night attack have failed to offer any proof of a successful mission.

Why do we need to provide "proof" of a successful mission ( or an unsuccessful one come to that?

From my perspective, I'm just saying the Japs could do night time carrier OPS if they chose to. I'm not saying it's not high risk with little to gain.

quote:

In daylight seasoned IJN pilots were mauled at Coral Sea even going up against pilots in the USN that had little to no  dogfighting expierience. Zuikaku had nine operational planes left by the end of the carrier engagement. Certainly if the admirals in the IJN thought they could night attack and have success they would have.

This is daytime Air to Air combat. We were discusing night time Base raids ( from carriers ).

quote:

If you choose to play a game using the night attack tactic you're not playing a game that's even close to historical but strictly gaming. Might as well play Star Trek.

If that's your veiw then by all means stick to it, but it does not make you right, neither does the majority view on this forum make it right.

Did you know that until some time in the last 50 years the Roman Catholic Church refused to acknowledge that the world was round.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 98
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 5:22:29 AM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: ILCK

quote:

The few that say the IJN could pull off a night attack have failed to offer any proof of a successful mission.

In daylight seasoned IJN pilots were mauled at Coral Sea even going up against pilots in the USN that had little to no dogfighting expierience. Zuikaku had nine operational planes left by the end of the carrier engagement. Certainly if the admirals in the IJN thought they could night attack and have success they would have.

If you choose to play a game using the night attack tactic you're not playing a game that's even close to historical but strictly gaming. Might as well play Star Trek.

I think this is a bit extreme since night attacks are POSSIBLE but the simple fact is that, based on what we've seen here they are:

a) Way too effective
b) Suffer a too low loss rate

The game should elegantly handle this by making the attacks not work and suffer losses plus the fatigue that means any reasonable player should not do them just as their historical counterparts decided not to for the same reasons.

Well said that man!

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 99
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 5:41:27 AM   
DEB

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

quote:

The complete absence of Japanese CV launched night raids at any time during WW2.

Proves nothing in the context of what I am saying . READ THE POSTS.

quote:

The extensive evidence that night operations from CVs had high operational losses merely trying to land and take off.

Proves nothing in the context of what I am saying . READ THE POSTS.

quote:

The absence of any Japanese accounts indicating that night operations were part of IJN doctrine and training.

Did you not see / read the Interigation report I posted a link to ? What's that if not evidence.

quote:

The observation that the only successful night CV ops were conducted by special night ops groups intensively trained for that specific purpose by the USN and first deployed in 1944. Both the USN and IJN were interested in night ops. Both determined prior to WW2 that night attacks on fixed targets much less mobile targets were not worth the casualties.

Can't disagree with that. Not saying OPS were done or successful, just POSSIBLE.

quote:

Targeting. Allied PBYs and other a.c. had surface search radar that allowed them to locate targets and make a radar guided attack approach. To make it work, the a.c. so armed notablty had a radar operator, a pilot and co-pilot both dedicated to the business of making sure the plane did not fly into the water, and a bomardier who took his weapon release cue from the radar operator. The Japanese did not have anything like that.

You're still talking AIR to AIR & Air to Ship, We are discussing Air to Base.

quote:

There is no evidence at all for any kind of 1942/3 cv based night attack capability.

Again, you are ignoring the evidence I have "listed" & linked so you can see.

quote:

As you note vis proficiency, sanity, etc. that is after all the point. A good *consim* might let a player attempt it, while guaranteeing "no successful attack" and while also guaranteeing higher than usual operational losses. Which elicits the question-- why waste the time coding for something something that if properly modeled no one would attempt to do?

Indeed, why waste the time. It was surely possible to exclude Carrier based Aircraft from night missions. So why did they ( the game designers ) NOT do it?

quote:

That is not correct. Romulan Birds of Prey was an analogy. Applying the analogy to WW2, any capability that did not in fact substantially exist might as well be a Romulan Bird of Prey. I use that analogy when confronted by a particular question, commonly deployed by people desperate for an ahistorical game about a historical subject matter, typically expressed as follows: "If you want to duplicate history, go read a book." My reply is that if someone wants a game that fabricates a capability that did not exist, don't play a WW2 Consim, go play Starfleet Battles.

Which ever way you put it , it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

quote:

Get a clue.

Get a life!!

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 100
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 5:46:49 AM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Been busy at work lately with little time to post, but I'm enjoying watching DEB................give a fool enough rope.....

I see you have not disagreed the comments I made to Tocaff, or even entered the general disscussion. I wonder why.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 101
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 5:51:57 AM   
DEB

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

You´re speaking of attacking ships at sea, at night.

Without radar, or perhaps even with the radar they had at the time, it would have been extremely difficult to just find an enemy task force in open sea much less attack it with a carrier strike.

I'm also speaking about finding their own carrier at night and landing on pitching decks after the attack if you read earlier in the thread .
The USN practiced night landings on the USS Langley in 1925, that doesn't mean they were night capable even some 16 years later.

But, "we" are talking attacks against bases, NOT ships.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 102
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 5:58:26 AM   
DEB

quote:

Finding specific night operational information would be more difficult for the Japanese side because of the language barrier but it is know they practiced and trained for night operations as well. I´m sure some information good be found by digging deep enough though.

According to the Combined Fleet website, finding any information about WW2 is more to do with the Japanese not covering that period of their history much. They keep away from it.

quote:

Ahem...how much rope have you got Hans?

Enough for most of the posters here I hope.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 103
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 6:04:19 AM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: ILCK

Yes but the example you gave of of Allied craft equipped with radar, the Feb 16-17 raid on Truk was 1944 and so outside the time of UCV. There's clearly no evidence of the IJN or any other Japanese force being able to mount large scale effective night raids as opposed to one off strikes by some Betty pilots and in fact there's precious little evidence of ANYONE mounting consistently effective night operations in WWII until planes became radar equipped.

I for one have never said that ANYONE mounted consistently effective night operations in WWII during 1942/3. Only that night raids on bases by Carrier based aircraft were POSSIBLE even if not really sane.

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 104
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 6:11:49 AM   
DEB

quote:

I still haven't seen anyone provide or even find in my research any successful night attack by IJN air. I believe Erik Rutins said it best so I'll quote him from a different thread regarding the same subject.

quote:

However, I think that since this is a historical game, most players will not be happy about repeated use of tactics that were not historically possible.

But thats just my point ( which you continue to fail to grasp ).
IT IS POSSIBLE; not practicable, sane, useful, or anything else you lot wish to throw at "us", just POSSIBLE. Read the link I put in !!

By the way, those little Blue boxes have now appeared, so I guess you changed some of your settings.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 105
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 6:16:29 AM   
DEB

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkhorn45

"I still haven't seen anyone provide or even find in my research any successful night attack by IJN air"
I think I documented successful night attacks by IJN air units if your reference is to IJN carrier night ops I wish you would specifiy this in your post as it is it makes a blanket statement which i have refuted in that the IJN DID successfully attack at night do I need to repeat my references

I made clear in my many posts in this thread I was refering to carrier operations, which just so happens to be the topic of discussion posted by the thread starter.

Of your many posts, I beg to differ. Reference to Carrier OPS has been missing from several, as I have pointed out a few times.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 106
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 6:30:47 AM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

quote:

even at static and big targets like kassel and other cities in germany, the hit ratio of the RAF bomber command was more then bad in 1942. and remember: we are talking about big cities and not a comparatively small target like PM AND we talk about the royal air force, which was way ahead in electronic warfare compared to the japanese.

How does WW2 Radar help you find a city/town?
By your sirmise, why does the game have night raids at all?

quote:

air-surface radar (the british HS and the US HSX) were in development at the beginning of 1942 and not ready for action. the japs even did not developd such a radar in WW2.

Is anyone disputing that? We are talking using navigation skills here.

quote:

so when large 4E bombers of a leading nation in electronic warfare had such a huge problems in 1942 to find a huge germany city at night, then tiny carrier aircrafts of a underdeveloped nation (in radar technique) were more then ever unable to find a small allied base in south pacific at night, attack it precice (killing 600 men and causing 100-150 hits on the AF) and fly back to their carriers and land safety.

I thought your problems were: The raiders were from Carriers & The lack of losses.

quote:

and although i could not see ikes reals OP-loses, they were low for sure, because he was able to repeat this attacks very often with nearly exactly the same number of AC.

Are you sure?, Ike said the OPS losses were high and only sustainable as you had already lost your Carrier's and Carrier Aircraft. Perhaps he used additional aircraft / squadrons to give you a false impression.

If he caused that much damage then maybe the night OPS raids do do too much damage, but that does not detract from the fact that Night raids from Carriers are possible for the Japs.

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 107
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 6:40:30 AM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Uh huh, and your facts are from where?  Don't ignore this question like you do to all of the others.  I want to read these "facts" of yours from the source, not on your say so.

Fairs fair Tocaff, let's see your sources too!!

quote:

Land based airfields were small in comparison to cities.  Many airfields in the area covered by UV were nothing more than a small area carved out of a jungle, not like an airport serving cities of today.  I offer up Henderson on Guadalcanal as an example of this.  It was used by single engine planes (small) because it was small at first.  Facilities at Henderson were non existent at first, example: refueling was done from 55 gallon drums with a hand pump. 

Makes you wonder how ANY bombing got done successfully, let alone night raids. Do you plan to make Non carrier night raids gamey too. How about ALL bombing raids as the results seem so "overstated".

quote:

Moving targets are the ships you referred to, or did you forget?

If you have some means to see the target, it can't be that much harder than it is at day time!

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 108
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 6:47:03 AM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

So specially trained and radar carrying planes made the attack that you talk about.  The dateline here is 1944 while UV doesn't cover anything later than 1943.  The planes were USN and not IJN or IJA.

The point was that Rader played No factor in the ability of the planes to hit their target. Some people here think it does. READ the posts, understand the disscussion!!

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 109
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 1:59:44 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Been busy at work lately with little time to post, but I'm enjoying watching DEB................give a fool enough rope.....

I see you have not disagreed the comments I made to Tocaff, or even entered the general disscussion. I wonder why.

Probably beacuse I am tired of this:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/tirelessrebutter.htm

If the shoe fits.......

That is, of course, the tongue-in-cheek reason. The reeal reason is just as I stated. My days of heavy posting activity here were a result of boredom at work that lasted for about 6 months as the architecture business has been slow. I had a new whirlwind project dumped in my lap last week (command breifing center at Command Forward Headquaters in Qatar for the four start general in command of CENTCOM) that I have only two months to produce. My posting on all forums here has dropped off to the "merely occasional" level. Right now I don't have the mental energy to waste on efforts to educate people like you.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 6/20/2008 2:08:25 PM >

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 110
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 4:13:48 PM   
tocaff

Would you consider what a B-29 crew member told me about the "accuracy" of the Norden bomb sight as a good source?

I'm not arguing that both sides could've struck at night, though returning & then actually finding their ships is a bit more than difficult.

Radar during the time frame of our game was new to the USN and virtually unknown to the IJN (except for very few ships).  Aircraft (carrier based) didn't attack at night until after the time frame of our game.  Based on this I question a person who proclaims historical settings and then acts totally different during a game.

If you want to play the game with great flexibility then do so, but don't hold people to historical and then dash it in their faces while playing.

Todd

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 111
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 4:41:00 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

quote:

I still haven't seen anyone provide or even find in my research any successful night attack by IJN air. I believe Erik Rutins said it best so I'll quote him from a different thread regarding the same subject.

quote:

However, I think that since this is a historical game, most players will not be happy about repeated use of tactics that were not historically possible.

IT IS POSSIBLE; not practicable, sane, useful, or anything else you lot wish to throw at "us", just POSSIBLE. Read the link I put in !!

By the way, those little Blue boxes have now appeared, so I guess you changed some of your settings.

Change my settings??? LOL, assuredly you have a much higher opinion of yourself than I have of you.

Night Carrier Ops would have been mass suicide for the pilots embarking on the mission. No commander worth his salt would have given the order to attack in that manner, not to mention the damage inflicted would have been minimal. If the IJN Carriers was capable they wouldn't have waited to just before dawn to launch their attacks in the carrier engagements. Strange you fail to be able to figure that out for yourself.

I've made all my points in this thread so I'll bow out and you can have the last word.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 6/20/2008 4:59:57 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 112
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 6:15:49 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

quote:

What you persist in demonstrating a failure to grasp is that what is "possible" is not what matters in a historical depiction that examines historical alternatives. What matters is what is "resonably plausible".

It's "possible" the sun could explode today. It's NOT reasonably plausible as we know enough about the sun to be realitively assured it will continue to burn on the main sequence for another 4-5 billion years before going into the red giant phase.

Was it "possible" for either side to engage in night carrier actions in the time period covered by the game. The obvious answer is yes. Is it "reasonably plausible" that either side would have? The obvious answer is absolutely not.

A realatively simple equation that doesn't even come close to rocket science. There continues to be no reasonable excuse for why you and Ike continue to fail to grasp it.

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 113
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 8:18:20 PM   
Ike99

quote:

What you persist in demonstrating a failure to grasp is that what is "possible" is not what matters in a historical depiction that examines historical alternatives. What matters is what is "resonably plausible".

Ahh...we are making progress. So now you admit a night carrier strike against a base was possible.

Was it plausible? Must have been or they wouldn´t have considered using them on several different occasions. And actually did use them in early 44´with the decision to use them made in 43´

quote:

Well if you knew my facts were correct then why did you ask for source? Now answer me this Mr tocaff and do not avoid the question...

It was no design error to include the night mission button on carriers. That was a concious choice by Gary Grisby and 2by3 games. If such mission were impossible or not plausible as you believe then why did they include it? We don´t see other impossible or not plausible buttons there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 6/20/2008 8:32:42 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 114
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 8:24:16 PM   
tocaff

I don't argue the possibility of such a strike, just that the losses would be devastating on the strike force so as to make it something that's not modeled properly.  If you find the fleet, in the dark, you still have to find a deck to land on and then do it.  No mean feat.  Remember a late returning strike was saved by MM's famous "light 'em up" order.

Todd

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 115
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 8:29:14 PM   
Ike99

quote:

If you find the fleet, in the dark, you still have to find a deck to land on and then do it. No mean feat. Remember a late returning strike was saved by MM's famous "light 'em up" order.

I looked that up. After the order to turn on lights not a single American plane crashed during landing on their carriers at night time.

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 6/20/2008 8:30:11 PM >

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 116
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 8:53:04 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

You're still talking AIR to AIR & Air to Ship, We are discussing Air to Base.

The same observations apply. You have not listed a single instance of a Japanese cv-based night raid on an airbase or indeed a single instance of any Japanese cv-based raid on any kind of target at all. That is because the Japanese had no ability to conduct such raids.

quote:

Indeed, why waste the time. It was surely possible to exclude Carrier based Aircraft from night missions. So why did they ( the game designers ) NOT do it?

My answer would be that the game designers erred. Very few powers developed any capability in it at all, during WW2, and the UK started out with the first and best capability both from CVs and lba, and the USAAF and USN quickly learned from and in some ways improved on the technique. The Japanese, in contrast, had no capability for night attacks from cv based planes and very little capability from land based mult-engine types.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 117
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 8:54:21 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

It was no design error to include the night mission button on carriers. That was a concious choice by Gary Grisby and 2by3 games. If such mission were impossible or not plausible as you believe then why did they include it? We don´t see other impossible or not plausible buttons there.

Ike, you never cease to amaze me with your ability to distort reality and bend it to your warped interpretation.
The only thing you are correct about is that it was no error.
It was a lack of desire to engage in the effort necessary to write the additional code necessary to create an entirely separate interface for carrier air operations.
A perfectly plausible explanation for what you see that does not distort reality in order to support your perception.

Oh my, what happened? You no longer claim to be the spawn of Tojo's loins??? Things do seem to be a bit unsettled in your neck of the woods. I hope all goes well for you (and I'm not being facetious).

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 118
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 8:56:24 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

Night Carrier Ops would have been mass suicide for the pilots embarking on the mission. No commander worth his salt would have given the order to attack in that manner, not to mention the damage inflicted would have been minimal.

Exactly. A good consim would probably let the Japanese player attempt a night raid from KB, automatically reward him with very high ops losses, result in no effect on the target, and then lock the Japanese player out of the game and hand over management of his assets to the AI for two or three months to simulate the reorganization period as the current "cic and staff" is removed from office, shot, replaced with a new cic and staff, and they gear up to figure out how to run the war properly.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 119
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 9:04:02 PM   
Ike99

quote:

The only thing you are correct about is that it was no error.

It was a lack of desire to engage in the effort necessary to write the additional code necessary to create an entirely separate interface for carrier air operations.

Send them an email and ask them. Joel Billings is active on these forums and has commented on design issues before here.

quote:

Things do seem to be a bit unsettled in your neck of the woods. I hope all goes well for you (and I'm not being facetious).

No, they lifted the road blockings today. If things get too bad I´m sure Tocaff will have no problems smuggling petrol across the border through angry people with sticks, guns and knives for me!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> RE: unrealistic air combat... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI