Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

bug? or not

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> bug? or not Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
bug? or not - 6/21/2008 3:58:36 PM   
dodod

as GB, in 2 different games, I declared on a minor.

I loaded troops onto heavy ships, intending to sail into the port/blockade box, landing troops and picking them up the next turn.

At the end of the naval turn, it kept asking me to evacuate the port.

In one game there was no enemy garrison, in the other there was...so this doesn't make a difference. I thought we can land into cities! but it appears that I cannot.
Post #: 1
RE: bug? or not - 6/21/2008 4:06:24 PM   
delatbabel

No, you can't sail a fleet into an enemy controlled city. You have to land your troops there first, then take the city, then your ships can come in.

--
Del

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 2
RE: bug? or not - 6/21/2008 4:58:00 PM   
dodod

ah...

I thought I could do that before...perhaps that was the bug...

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 3
RE: bug? or not - 6/21/2008 5:48:35 PM   
ndrose

I think the answer to this is complicated and probably does involve a bug or faulty implementation of the rules. Right now, the game does in fact let you do what dodod is describing, in some situations. I know I've taken minors from enemies this way. You can't enter the port until you control it, but you can enter the blockade box, and if you don't need the fleet for invasion supply, that gives you a month's head start in moving the troops elsewhere when you're done.

The game will also let you put a fleet in the blockade box of an enemy city when you're not landing troops, even if there are no ships to blockade. Why would you do this? Because the game views this as equivalent to having a corps in the area--you can then claim the province as a peace condition. So if you want Ireland, say, you don't have to drop factors there; just blockade Dublin.

I'm not sure what the rules are supposed to be exactly, but I'm pretty sure at least some of this shouldn't be allowed.

In the case dodod describes, my guess (though it's only a guess) would be that the major controlling the minor is not an enemy, and the game is looking at that to decide whether he can be in the blockade box.

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 4
RE: bug? or not - 6/22/2008 2:03:34 AM   
Jimmer

What you have described DOES work (or, used to), as the others have said. And, I think it is per the rules. However, it's a big change from the old rules. In the old rules, you ALWAYS had to spend part of at least three turns in an enemy port in order to get your troops out. One month to take control (or more, if occupied), plus the second month to sail in.

The problem stems from how the game codes blockade boxes: They are "part of" the city. While this is OK, it leaves open the possibility to do exactly what you said: Enter in one month and leave in the next. But, this should not be possible (at least, from the old rules' perspective). When you took the port, your ships STAYED in the blockade box, until you next were able to move them.

This is seen in section 6 somewhere, by the fact that it takes 0 movement to go between a BB and the port. It's not a free action; it takes place during naval movement.

CONFESSION TIME: I'm currently playing GB, and I used this loophole to exit French territory. I didn't like the rule being that way, but it was, so I used it. I would prefer the other method: Change the position from blockade box to port as part of naval movement (with no cost, but it still should require an action).

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> bug? or not Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI