Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Yellow or Red Shirt

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> The Red Zone! >> Yellow or Red Shirt Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yellow or Red Shirt - 6/21/2008 7:23:00 AM   
VCFL Commish

In American college your eligible for 4 years 5 CIS but NCAA has not sure if it its Red or Yellow what is the name of it and how does it work
Post #: 1
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 6/21/2008 7:30:39 AM   
DONMVP

our you talking about red shirting , ,if so usually the coach has to many good players like quarterbacks or such . And he might have a player sit out year . Still on scholar ship . They practice still, might run the scout teams and such . Hope that is what you want .

(in reply to VCFL Commish)
Post #: 2
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 6/21/2008 7:47:28 AM   
VCFL Commish

thanks

(in reply to DONMVP)
Post #: 3
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 6/21/2008 4:22:25 PM   
VCFL Commish

Now once Red Shirted can a player loose his red shirt status at some point in the season and play if needed?

Post #: 4
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 6/21/2008 5:38:34 PM   
DirkGildun

Yes, but he loses a full year of eligibility even if he only plays 1 game.

Post #: 5
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 6/21/2008 7:33:34 PM   
dreamtheatervt

But sometimes players can be granted one of two types of "medical redshirts".  In the first kind, a player who has already redshirted one year asks the NCAA for a medical redshirt when they know they are going to miss an upcoming season.  They are not always granted, and usually have the stipulation of academic progress tied to it.

The second way a player can get a medical redshirt is retroactively, even if they play in a few games.  Usually only one game is they played a lot of minutes, and two games if they were only special teams.  The most recent and well known example of this Ben Mauk, who entered the 2006 season at Wake Forest as the starting QB, but broke his arm in the first game.  He applied for a medical redshirt for the year, and it probably would have been granted had he not transferred to U. Cincinnati (because the third string QB, rFr Riley Skinner, went on to be ACC rookie of the year and had a stranglehold on the starting position, Mauk used a special transfer waiver to go to UC).  The decision is currently under appeal.

(in reply to DirkGildun)
Post #: 6
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 6/22/2008 4:19:44 PM   
garysorrell

Red Shirts are usually killed early on in an episode, to cause the viewer to 'feel' the anger that Captain Kirk is feeling, towards the alien antagonist.

(in reply to dreamtheatervt)
Post #: 7
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 6/22/2008 10:16:31 PM   
dreamtheatervt

KAHN!!!!!!!!

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 8
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 6/23/2008 4:03:32 AM   
StLee

There are three "shirts" in college that I know of.

The most common is red shirt, where, usually, a freshman sits out a year of eligibility. He still has four years of eligibility remaining afterwards.

The other two are for freshmen only, as far as I know. The first of that is becoming more popular with limited scholarships and huge football budgets. It is the gray shirt, where a freshman signs with a team but does not become a part of the team his first year. Instead he goes to the school, usually to raise his academics, and then starts the following year as a true freshman (on the team).

The final is the green shirt where a freshman joins the team for spring practice before he is even a true freshman (enrolls in the spring, rather than fall of his signing year).

StLee

If I didn't believe, I wouldn't be a Saint.

Post #: 9
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 6/24/2008 12:27:38 AM   
dreamtheatervt

I haven't heard the term Green shirt, usually just early enrollie.

Gray shirt isn't an official title, its more of a term created by the coaches and media to describe the situation you described.  Borderline prospects also tend to get grayshirted.  Grayshirt also don't usually enroll until the Spring as well, the difference is they enroll the semester after they graduate HS, where as what you called a green shirt enrolls in the spring the same school year as their HS senior year.

(in reply to StLee)
Post #: 10
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 8/25/2008 12:33:46 AM   
HuskerHunter

Anyone have an answer to this redshirt question? An athlete enters a D1 volleyball program and redshirts the first year just to improve skills, not because of injury. Player plays some the second year, then is injured in practice before the season start and will miss the entire season. Can she ask the NCAA for another year of competition, or is it a waste of time and seldom granted. She would have no more than 4 season of play, and would graduate in 5 1/2 years (academic progress is a not a problem). Any insight would be great--I can't really find anything on the NCAA site that addresses this particular situation. Thanks.

(in reply to dreamtheatervt)
Post #: 11
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 8/25/2008 12:45:14 AM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

Red Shirts are usually killed early on in an episode, to cause the viewer to 'feel' the anger that Captain Kirk is feeling, towards the alien antagonist.

HAHAHAHHA! Funniest answer ever.

To Husker: Might as well try. The sense behind asking for another "redshirt" year is too logical to pass up trying.

JD

< Message edited by jdhalfrack -- 8/25/2008 12:46:02 AM >

Latest Max FB Databse Editor: Max FB Database Editor (v 1.7.0)

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 12
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 8/25/2008 1:13:10 AM   
DAWUSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: HuskerHunter

Anyone have an answer to this redshirt question? An athlete enters a D1 volleyball program and redshirts the first year just to improve skills, not because of injury. Player plays some the second year, then is injured in practice before the season start and will miss the entire season. Can she ask the NCAA for another year of competition, or is it a waste of time and seldom granted. She would have no more than 4 season of play, and would graduate in 5 1/2 years (academic progress is a not a problem). Any insight would be great--I can't really find anything on the NCAA site that addresses this particular situation. Thanks.

I think the rule is >70% = medical redshirt. I know one of Ohio State's quarterbacks was on the squad for like 6 years

(in reply to HuskerHunter)
Post #: 13
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 8/25/2008 1:51:09 AM   
DONMVP

good example is the QB from cincinati university , he`s trying to get a 6th season this year , because of injuries.

(in reply to DAWUSS)
Post #: 14
RE: Yellow or Red Shirt - 8/25/2008 2:36:48 AM   
dreamtheatervt

@ Dawuss

I believe it is 30%, because that is what it is for basketball; link below is where that info comes from:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3544819

@ DonMVP

That was the case I sited in my post above.  He's still fighting, but it looks like its going to be denied.

(in reply to DONMVP)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> The Red Zone! >> Yellow or Red Shirt Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI