Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Origins 2008 *the Insider's View*

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 6/28/2008 4:20:31 PM   
Ron Belcher

We, the unfortunate lot who are unable to attend... would like to know what is going on !

Why can't you guys who are attending post up some pix and event happenings that grabbed
your attention towards be posted ?

Um, please !?

Post #: 1
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 6/28/2008 4:28:01 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: tactician93612

We, the unfortunate lot who are unable to attend... would like to know what is going on !

Why can't you guys who are attending post up some pix and event happenings that grabbed

Um, please !?

There is nice info about upcoming WitP-AE in WitP sub-forum...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Ron Belcher)
Post #: 2
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 6/28/2008 5:09:20 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

your attention towards be posted ? [8|

Let's put it this way, we are pretty busy over here

I'll post some shots when I'm back in Germany.

Post #: 3
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 6/29/2008 6:58:26 PM   
Ron Belcher

Busy... is good

... to add, photos on the way!? Now, that's awesome! I personally would like
to see the "view" from the Matrix perspective ! :)

< Message edited by tactician93612 -- 6/29/2008 6:59:31 PM >

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 4
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 6/29/2008 7:03:26 PM   
Ron Belcher

Thanks for the direction, Apollo11 !

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 5
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 6/29/2008 9:47:48 PM   
Gem35

I want an origins T-Shirt gosh darn it!!

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

Post #: 6
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 6/30/2008 3:26:05 AM   
TonyE

I'm just happy to have survived Origins!  It was great meeting other developers, the Matrix gang, and many others (seminar speakers, etc.).  My range of time at Origins was different, Wednesday night thru 1:30pm Saturday.  The time was filled and I really would have enjoyed spending more time at Origins, especially chatting with the other developers, sharing development tool hints/tricks/favorite components but time did not allow. 

This was my first gaming convention of any sort and my first non-mass market 'paper/card' gaming was done in the Matrix "room".  All I can say is that I wasn't the first to be knocked out (but I was the last to be knocked out, I had no Ninja's and Sean Drummy had many...).  Given poor health and much work to do before leaving for Origins I had no idea the breadth and scope the convention provides.  I was at the convention 2+ days and attended 14 hours of warfare seminars in addition to meeting the people (I finally met Uncle Harpoon and Larry Bond, coolness)(also met Erik Rutins and many of the other Matrix people; having a face to connect with Erik's name gives me a face to go along with the awe at how much he does here on the forums and that is only one portion of his Matrix day).

Would you believe I have not a single photo of my time at Origins?  Well, it is true .  I do however have 500 or so from visiting three air museums during the trip (one being the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH).

Anyway, I was at Origins with my 'developer hat' on and was amazed at the seminars and the benefits of meeting other people crazy enough to write code for grognards.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 7
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 6/30/2008 3:36:06 AM   
panzers

I wanted to go, but coulldn't afford to miss work, and cerainly can't afford the gas and lodging. Really sucks because those prices are milking us dry.
Would have loved to have met Erik and nist of all, Steve on the development team for MWiF. Anyone know if there was any information or beta testing for that out there?

< Message edited by panzers -- 6/30/2008 3:37:43 AM >

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 8
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 6/30/2008 5:12:39 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

I wanted to go, but coulldn't afford to miss work, and cerainly can't afford the gas and lodging. Really sucks because those prices are milking us dry.
Would have loved to have met Erik and nist of all, Steve on the development team for MWiF. Anyone know if there was any information or beta testing for that out there?

Panzers,

Just keep checking the MWIF forum for a request by Steve like the one below.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1819455

Flipper

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 9
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/2/2008 3:44:03 PM   
James Sterrett

At Origins, last Friday and Saturday, I ran four demonstration games, using Flashpoint: Germany, Conquest of the Aegean, Battles from the Bulge, and Close Combat Marines (aka Close Combat: Modern Tactics) to demonstrate the use of games for military training.  

First off:  a very big thank you to Mark Graves, Paul Roberts, Jim Snyder, and Rob Crandall for operating the sims; to Brant Guillory for numerous forms of assistance; to the US Marine Corps for loaning me all the computer equipment; to Matrix Games for their support; and to Dave O'Connor for a last minute fix to BFTB!

I used Close Combat in close parallel to the USMC training plan, with slightly modified scenarios.  Participants received a few handouts on a situation, with troops, map, and mission, and then had 5 minutes to write a fragmentary order for their force.  One of the players on each team was chosen to be the commander and issue their frag order to their fellow players; then we set up and ran the mission.  After running the mission, we discussed the mission's themes: topics such as support by fire, engagement areas, infantry-tank cooperation, and infantry anti-tank tactics; and discussed major decisions made by the various players.

In each of the other three, the participants were assigned to slots on a staff for one side of the scenario:  Commander, XO (executive officer, or second-in-command), Intel, Maneuver, Future Ops, & Fires.  After an introduction to staff roles and the MDMP (Military Decision-Making Process), participants received their mission briefing, and then conducted an abbreviated MDMP over the course of one hour.  Trust me, this meant some very fast work!  The sim operator put the plan into the computer, and then we ran the scenario, with the participants still acting in their staff roles -- so the Intel officer continued to try to track enemy capabilities and intentions, the Future Ops officer tried to concoct alternate plans to deal with potential events, and so on.

For Flashpoint: Germany, we had Jim Snyder and Rob Crandall as the sim operators for the two sides, using a modified version of the "Meeting of Titans" scenario.  Three people took on the Commander, Future Ops, and Intel/Fires roles on the Blue team.  They drove down the central valley on the Grafshcaft/Norderfurt map, with a company moving to cover the east flank.  Both ran into large quantities of Red, and as time ran out Blue was working to figure out a new approach.  A key realization by the Future Ops person in this scenario:  "I don't need to watch the map so much!"  This is true -- Future Ops needs to spend more time thinking about potential new plans than worrying about the details of what's happening now.  If anything important happens, somebody else on the staff should tell you about it.

For Conquest of the Aegean, a team of seven assembled to take command of the 9th Panzer Division in First Clean Break.  They planned to hook arund the British forces, encircle, and destroy them, then pursue south.  (Un?)fortunately, the British retreated out of the encirclement quickly and established a very strong position in Perdika.  The unexpected sudden success of their left hook threw the staff off-balance.  Their pursuit to Perdika and subsequent assault wasn't the best organized action, but over the course of 12 hours they decimated and scattered the British forces in the city...  and those forces were the bulk of the British forces on the map.  The road to Kozani lay open, but the staff had become so caught up in current events that they lost track of their mission, and never quite realized the scale of their success.  This is a real world phenomenon.  "Catastrophic success" cost them a win, but the staff was determined to do better on the next scenario.

For Battles from the Bulge, we ran Mayhem on the Meuse, a hypothetical scenario in which 2nd Panzer didn't meet 2nd Armored near Dinant, but instead gained a bridgehead, and then was replaced by 9th Panzer.  9th begins the scenario poised to drive westwards to Charleroi and hook north to Antwerp, opposed only by two battalions of the 53rd Welsh Division and the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment (which, along with 9th Panzer, was making a repeat appearance from the COTA scenario).  However, more elements of 53rd Welsh are on the way, and on the second day, 2nd Armored comes crashing into 9th Panzer's flank.

Most of the 9 players were on the staff of the Allied VII Corps, with the two maneuver staff slots set as the division commanders instead.  Because they could not be certain what situation they would face when 2nd Armored arrived, this was the most complex of the scenarios, forcing them to plan multiple courses of action for 2nd Armored and decision points for choosing among those options.  All but two of the players had taken part in a prior exercise, and those two were rapidly brought up to speed, one as the VII Corps XO and one as the commander of 2nd Armored Division.

53rd Welsh hung on grimly, suffering enormous losses in the largely successful defense, which they called "Operation: Don't Die", letting only the recon battalion of 9th Panzer slip past them.  2nd Armored then slammed into the flank of 9th Panzer in "Operation: Whoop-Ass", a grinding slugging match as the 2nd Armored advanced slowly towards 9th Panzer's supply line from the north while the remaining elements of 53rd Welsh advanced eastwards against the now-retreating Germans.

What was most impressive to me, Mark, and Paul, was the amount the participants had learned by this final scenario, both about their staff roles, about planning, and, above all, teamwork.  The planning process was less chaotic than before, with more and better products produced.  As the exercise commenced, the 2nd Division Commander sat down with his paper map, his force list, and a gridded worksheet, and created a synchronization matrix for the employment of his forces as they arrived on the map, paying little attention to the big projected screen until he'd spent around half an hour on this important process.  When 2nd Armored began to arrive, its actions were planned and ready to go.

Since my overarching objective was to demonstrate training with games, I was pleased to see the participants clearly learning parts of the planning and staff process over the course of their games!

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 10
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/2/2008 5:15:02 PM   
old man of the sea

James, sorry I missed that. It sounds cool. What the heck are you up to now?

E

"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.

(in reply to James Sterrett)
Post #: 11
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/2/2008 5:24:52 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Um, please !?

Leo "Apollo11"

Where exactly=? I didnt see any new posts there.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 12
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/2/2008 6:45:06 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

quote:

Um, please !?

Where exactly=? I didnt see any new posts there.

Here it is (just click on the link below):

Greetings from Origins

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 13
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/2/2008 8:59:04 PM   
James Sterrett

quote:

ORIGINAL: old man of the sea

James, sorry I missed that. It sounds cool. What the heck are you up to now?

E

Back to my normal day job, on the Simulations Team at the Command & General Staff College -- testing software, preparing exercises, and teaching the use of games for training.

It's a rough job, but somebody's got to do it.

(in reply to old man of the sea)
Post #: 14
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/2/2008 11:12:40 PM   
James Sterrett

A photo from the Conquest of the Aegean demo of staff training, during planning.

Thomas Marrone is presenting the Fires plan. In the blue shirt at left if Rob Crandall of the Flashpoint Germany team (maneuver); Chris is to his left (intel), then Marshall Ellis of Empires in Arms (commander), Thomas Pope in the black t-shirt and hat (XO) with Bryan (future ops) behind him; I'm the balding guy on the far right.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 12:21:36 AM   
TonyE

What, no photo of the Subway I got for you?  

Once again it was a pleasure meeting James.  The 2 hour session he was a part of to fight about wargaming was quite entertaining and I'd recommend it to anyone in the genre.  Mr. Sterrett and Mr. Weuve kept the talk very interesting.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

Post #: 16
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 12:29:37 AM   
James Sterrett

Tony, if I had a picture of it I'd post it...  it was a lifesaver.     (My demos didn't have enough of a break between them to get lunch - even at two hours between, there was enough setup, takedown, prep, and time overrun to prevent it.  Tony kindly brought me a sandwich & soda from Subway.)

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 17
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 1:30:24 AM   
CapnDarwin

James put on one hell of nice training demo. I just wish the Origins folks would have promoted the affair more (at all really). The group that did play through them all did get better as the days went on. I hope to be able to do it again next year.

Great job James.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Post #: 18
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 2:13:30 AM   
James Sterrett

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin
I hope to be able to do it again next year.

Me too!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin
Great job James.

Thank you -- but it wouldn't have been possible without help. Thank you!

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 19
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 9:15:14 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
I'll post some shots when I'm back in Germany.

I know you're back now, so ...

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 20
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 12:05:54 PM   
Grell

Thanks for the info James.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 21
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 4:54:16 PM   
James Sterrett

Two more pictures, from the Battles from the Bulge exercise. From left to right:

2nd Armored Division Commander; Marshall Ellis, Intel; Bryan, VII Corps Commander; Jim Snyder (Flashpoint: Germany), observing; Thomas Marrone, 53rd Division Commander; Rob Crandall (Flashpoint: Germany), Intel (second one); Mark, XO (orange shirt).

Edit: helps to look at the right picture when posting up who's who.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by James Sterrett -- 7/3/2008 4:55:58 PM >

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 22
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 4:57:40 PM   
James Sterrett

And picture #2. From left to right:

Jim Snyder (Flashpoint: Germany), observing; Rob Crandall (Flashpoint: Germany), Intel; 2nd Armored Division Commander; Bryan, VII Corps Commander; Marshall Ellis, Intel. (Yep, two guys on intel.)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 10:11:59 PM   
James Sterrett

Old Man of the Sea, you PM'ed me, but the forums claim you've got PM replies turned off and your email is hidden.....  makes a reply difficult. 

Post #: 24
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 11:24:19 PM   
Fred98

James,

Great post!

Post #: 25
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/3/2008 11:49:57 PM   
old man of the sea

Ok, I fixed it James,

Thanks,

E

"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 26
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/7/2008 6:10:54 AM   
pad152

Hey, did anyone get a look at the new close combat game?

(in reply to old man of the sea)
Post #: 27
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/10/2008 5:59:08 PM   
GuruDave

James,

Fantastic job running the Modern Tactics simulation. I learned a lot, and purchased CCMT using the $5 off token.

Thanks,

Dave

Post #: 28
RE: Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* - 7/10/2008 6:03:35 PM   
James Sterrett

Thank you!  

(in reply to GuruDave)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Origins 2008 *the Insider's View* Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI