Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game won't start

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Advanced Tactics Support >> Game won't start Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game won't start - 7/1/2008 7:51:37 AM   
Spadowski

Okay, so I run the launcher. It pops up fine. I hit to play... Nothing happens.

Now it DID work...

I've had several programs over the last few days just up and die on me. This has happened since I installed .net framework 3.5 after I installed Visual Studio 2008.

I am not sure if that IS the issue, but if anyone can come up with a fix, that'd be awesome.
Post #: 1
RE: Game won't start - 7/1/2008 10:30:01 AM   
Spadowski

Fixed my problem. Bloody .NET 3.5 service pack broke EVERYTHING. Fixed it using the program at the following link.

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

The .NET cleanup tool let me clean up and remove the 3.5 service pack and now it works again.

Figured I'd post how I did it in case someone else has the same issue.

(in reply to Spadowski)
Post #: 2
RE: Game won't start - 7/1/2008 12:34:44 PM   
Vic

thats nasty. 

i was just googling but could not find anything, do you have any clue why 3.5 would break 2.0 apps?

kind reg,
Vic

(in reply to Spadowski)
Post #: 3
RE: Game won't start - 7/3/2008 5:19:37 AM   
Spadowski

From what I can gather, the install of the 3.5 service pack seemingly fails to find .NET 2.0, and something gets corrupted. That's all I can imagine. Removing 3.5 fixed everything

Google "netfx20a_x86.msi" and that should find the stuff I found. It was on an ASP site I found the link to the fix I used. When I ran the service pack I downloaded it appeared to install. However, when I unarchived it and ran setup manually, it dies looking for the file name I just quoted, and even if you point it at that file (which it explicitly requests) it tells you it's an invalid path.

Clearly 3.5 is SERIOUSLY hosed.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 4
RE: Game won't start - 7/3/2008 2:23:19 PM   
Tac2i

I have .Net 3.5 installed on my XP machine and I have no problems running AT or anything else.

(in reply to Spadowski)
Post #: 5
RE: Game won't start - 7/4/2008 8:03:25 AM   
Spadowski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

I have .Net 3.5 installed on my XP machine and I have no problems running AT or anything else.

I'm very happy for you. Clearly, however, there IS an issue of some kind, or else I wouldn't found other people with similar problems, and a description on how to fix it.

Out of interest, do you have Visual Studio 2008 installed? And if so did you install the 3.5 service pack for .NET during the install? And actually, have you installed 3.5 since June 21st? Since that was the day I installed it, and perhaps it's been fixed since then.

It's not just AT that died on me. MLBTV's Mosaic application died, as did Stardock's new "Impulse" content delivery software. The only 3 .NET apps I have. The only three programs that stopped working, that then started working again once I'd removed 3.5.

The fact you didn't have an issue is great. Though that makes it harder to understand. If EVERYONE had the issue, that's great. But if you DIDN'T that means there is something far more esoteric going on. But then it's Microsoft so that's hardly a shock.

I'm just glad AT works again:)

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Advanced Tactics Support >> Game won't start Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI