Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports >> Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 6/30/2008 12:36:58 AM   
JAMiAM

This thread will serve as the AAR between PyleDriver, playing as the Confederacy, and myself, playing as the Union. The game settings used are Limited Command Recovery, Historical Leaders, and Fog of War.

I begin the turn with what I feel to be a fairly standard opening move. Sturgis and his mounted troopers take Joplin MO. Sigel detaches a militia and converts it to a mounted. The mounted moves into Springfield MO. Both regions are overrun. Now, Sigel is able to move along the road into Springfield. This will result in Missouri becoming a Union aligned state, before Jon has a chance to react.

In West Virginia, McClellan's army overruns Grafton, driving Garnett and his militia into Franklin. A militia in Parkersburg is converted to mounted and overruns Charleston. This allows the other militia and leader in Parkersburg to tactical move into Charleston. It also allows for strategic movement of a large division across the river, and will complete the Union alignment of this state at the start of Jon's turn.

In Indiana and Illinois, two armies are formed in preparation for the crucial battle for Kentucky. In New Albany, Lyon heads up the Army of the Cumberland, while in Cairo, Halleck leads the Army of the Mississippi.

I've collected most of my remaining leaders in Washington DC, and given them each a small group of militia to command. I've also moved McDowell to Harpers Ferry with two corps and McClellan to DC. I want to maximize the possibility of getting leaders with amphibious initiative next turn, so that I can start enhancing the blockade by taking the five islands.
Post #: 1
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 6/30/2008 12:44:23 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn Two, August 1862. John does not launch any offensives during his turn. Neither does he contest any of West Virginia. Garnett's militia is pulled to safety leaving only the leader, with his field glasses and a fast horse, to keep an eye on the Union forces investing the hills. He builds a few forts, most notably at Humbolt, Tennessee. This screenshot shows the positions at the start of the turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 7/3/2008 2:27:45 AM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 2
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 6/30/2008 1:03:59 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn Two, August 1862 continued. This screenshot and the comments embedded within it, demonstrate the Union's efforts in Kentucky. I'm happy with the military position within the state. I will have to wait until after Jon's turn before I can find out the political ramifications of my early move into this vital state...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 7/3/2008 2:29:58 AM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 3
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 6/30/2008 9:08:09 PM   
WarHunter

Looking forward to reading this AAR. I hope the forum gets fixed to allow Screenshots soon.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 4
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/1/2008 3:47:46 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn Three, September 1862. Unfortunately, Kentucky goes over to the Confederacy. I hope that this strategic setback is offset by the improved position that I have going into the first winter. A small Union force moves into Tennessee, and the last three offshore islands are seized.

Note: This screenshot added after the forum maintainance was finished. I didn't realize when I posted this "placeholder" that I had two screenshots for the turn. As I can only attach one, the other one will be added out of sequence below. Sorry for the discontinuity in the thread...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 7/4/2008 1:37:03 AM >

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 5
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/3/2008 2:43:43 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn Four, October 1861. The Union lands at Jacksonville in Florida, and at flanking positions on either side of it. The activity in the rest of the map is limited to cavalry actions and building up my armies.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 6
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/3/2008 2:56:17 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn Five, November 1861. The first turn of Winter. I realize that I've made a stupid mistake by only building one depot in each Paducah, Bowling Green and Harpers Ferry, as the raiding by Jon's cavalry last turn reduced the supply level below the 20 necessary for granting the home/depot bonus. Consequentally, my leaders are sitting on their thumbs (legitimately) complaining about a lack of proper supplies. Extra depots are built, but of course, now it's Winter...

This screenshot shows the ending situation along with the suprisingly high casualties of my amphibious attack against Jacksonville (from the playback).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 7
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/3/2008 3:01:05 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn Six, December 1861. McClellan in Washington DC gets initiative again, so more forces are sent to Florida and the bridgehead gets expanded.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 8
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/3/2008 9:30:51 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn Seven, January 1862. Lyon gets initiative and pounces on Tennessee.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 9
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/3/2008 2:56:59 PM   
JAMiAM

Oops...just noticed some arithmetic errors in that last one. That's what I get for playing and writing the AAR until 1:30 in the morning. And the night before another 12 hour work shift! Yeah...this game will grab you like that...

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 10
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/3/2008 5:42:29 PM   
Grotius

Looks like a good game so far. I am learning from it.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 11
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/3/2008 9:24:20 PM   
JAMiAM

Turn Eight, February 1862. An ugly montage that shows the final results of Lyon's actions in January 1862. The battle results taken from the playback and the "E" key report. Jon's forces in Northern Tennessee were utterly routed, as the forces in Clarksville were encircled and trapped against the Cumberland River, unable to retreat due to the Union gunboat flotilla.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 12
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/3/2008 10:04:51 PM   
JAMiAM

Turn Eight, February 1862, continued. This screenshot shows the frontline forces, and current political situation. I have enough PP's to be fairly safe in starting another draft, and I will make that decision later on in the turn, after checking the population levels in my states. Last turn, I had a couple of the mid-sized states that were a little under their maximum pool levels, and I want to get the most bang for my political buck.

It should be noted that my plans for a one-two punch in Tennessee have come to naught, as Grant is dilly-dallying in Paducah, without initiative, even with Halleck's help, Grant only had a 13/28 chance of gaining initiative, bacause of the Winter. If this was a non-winter, non-1861 month, then his probability would have been 13/14 or 92% chance of getting initiative with Halleck's help. Like my Daddy was fond of saying, "'If' is a mighty big word...". Lyon will reconsolidate his army and build a couple of depots so that he can maximize his chances of being able to carry on. I want to strike hard in Tennessee, before Jon has a chance to pull too much together to plug the hole.

One might also notice that the Confederacy has 5 raiders at sea. I just now had my second cruiser come off the slipways. I've been too busy with establishing the blockade against Jon, and supporting my amphibious landings to pay too much attention to defense against his ever-increasing number of Raiders. I will soon have my first several cruisers coming on line and they'll definitely have their work cut out for them.

Since my initiative rolls were again with McClellan, I'll have to console myself with trying to take out some more easy coastal targets. I might even be able to get enough to drive Jon below 900 PP's. That will have a detrimental effect to his raising of militia.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 13
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/3/2008 10:50:48 PM   
beevor_fan

Impressive AAR! Keep it going - that beating you dealt him should be hard to recover from...

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 14
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/4/2008 1:41:21 AM   
JAMiAM

NOTE: This post shows a screenshot from September 1861 and is out of sequence, as explained in Post # 5 above. Sorry for the discontinuity.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to beevor_fan)
Post #: 15
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/4/2008 6:40:56 AM   
WarHunter

Nice we can see screen shots. im enjoying this AAR very much. Entertaining and informatve all at the same time.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 16
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/4/2008 7:25:16 PM   
JAMiAM

Turn Eight, February 1862 continued. This screenshot shows the ending SitRep. After declaring the draft, the PP balance is currently at 1011:917, Union:Confederacy. Depending on the results of the actions in Jon's reaction phase, this may drop me below 1000 at the start of my next turn, or it may drop Jon below 900. If the former, then I will need to work at getting back above the magical number so that any Strategic Victories can trigger the EP, and BE. If the latter, then Jon will be further pressed in his enlistments as this will increase the cost of his militia by one. Since we're now in 1862, his "draft" is in effect and for the year his militia will only cost 6 population points apiece. Anything I can do to affect that, and reduce the total numbers raised, will help in the long run. Of course, giving him five free militia in Savannah doesn't help things. See the screenshot for the cause of that stupid mistake on my part.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 17
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/6/2008 7:30:22 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn Nine, March 1862. This screenshot shows the political situation at the start of the turn. The Confederates are under 900, which hurts their recruiting a bit. This is due to the successful invasions launched last turn in the Deep South.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 18
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/6/2008 7:38:25 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn Nine, March 1862 continued. This screenshot shows the attacks launched this turn, and the ending SitRep.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 19
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/9/2008 6:28:09 AM   
JAMiAM

Placeholder for part one of the April 1862 turn. To be filled in on 7/9/08. (screenshot's at work)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 20
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/9/2008 6:35:29 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn Ten, April 1862 continued. After last turn's spanking of Grant and Lyon by the Confederates, I switched the axis of approach with Lyon, while Grant drowned his sorrows with whiskey at Paducah. McClellan also had initiative, but true to form swore up and down that the Confederates outnumbered him. He promised Lincoln that after he gets more troops, they are better trained, and he has more supplies, he'll surely drive to Richmond before the next rainy season. Meanwhile, Abe looks out over the Capitol and seeing nothing but clouds, prays for a victory...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 21
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/9/2008 10:46:29 PM   
JAMiAM

I see that I'm going to have to put a few turn delay in posting, so that Jon isn't getting a primer on my strategy and force distributions...

I should have put a bigger "KEEP OUT!" sign on the door, eh?

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 22
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/10/2008 7:42:52 AM   
JanSorensen

You should note that in v1.00 there was a bug with the Scouted Level Percentage not working at all except against the AI. This means that the forces that attack unspotted from a rear area remain unspotted despite moving through a scouted area AND that reacting unspotted units fight unspotted even if the area under attack was scouted.

I only noticed this recently when looking through the code - but expect things to play quite differently now the fix is out in v1.01.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 23
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/10/2008 7:55:43 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: JanSorensen

You should note that in v1.00 there was a bug with the Scouted Level Percentage not working at all except against the AI. This means that the forces that attack unspotted from a rear area remain unspotted despite moving through a scouted area AND that reacting unspotted units fight unspotted even if the area under attack was scouted.

I only noticed this recently when looking through the code - but expect things to play quite differently now the fix is out in v1.01.

Thanks for confirming that, Jan! That's what I was reading into the change list for the patch. I've already updated all of my machines with the patch. Hopefully, Jon has done so, too.

(in reply to JanSorensen)
Post #: 24
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/10/2008 11:44:31 PM   
Treefrog

"Turn Five, November 1861. The first turn of Winter. I realize that I've made a stupid mistake by only building one depot in each Paducah, Bowling Green and Harpers Ferry, as the raiding by Jon's cavalry last turn reduced the supply level below the 20 necessary for granting the home/depot bonus."

JAM, I thought you had made WVa a Union border state, in which case it was part of your supply grid and you didn't have to build a depot (as for example you must do at Norfok which is clearly hostile).

Did I get this wrong (I get so much wrong it is hard to keep track)?

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 25
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/10/2008 11:59:05 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treefrog

"Turn Five, November 1861. The first turn of Winter. I realize that I've made a stupid mistake by only building one depot in each Paducah, Bowling Green and Harpers Ferry, as the raiding by Jon's cavalry last turn reduced the supply level below the 20 necessary for granting the home/depot bonus."

JAM, I thought you had made WVa a Union border state, in which case it was part of your supply grid and you didn't have to build a depot (as for example you must do at Norfok which is clearly hostile).

Did I get this wrong (I get so much wrong it is hard to keep track)?

In border states, as well as permanent enemy states, you need at least 20 supplies to count for Depot/Home help. I believe that the only exception to this is if Kentucky becomes a permanently friendly state, as then it is no longer counted as a "border" state. I used to think that you could get by with just a depot, but have had it impressed upon me by cavalry raiding, both mine and of my opponents, that just one is usually not enough.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 26
RE: Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) - 7/11/2008 12:32:09 AM   
Treefrog

Okay, good to know. Nobody tell Warhunter this as I am just starting my first ever pbem with him, and I'm Union.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports >> Preserve the Union! (PyleDriver not allowed) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI