Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/4/2008 6:40:45 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Give it or gave it The whole nine yards - Something to do with a length of belted ammunition being 9 yards long. Ledgend varies on the origin.

This is an old sailing term, referring to the surface of a fully deployed mainsail. "Give it the whole nine yards" meant full speed ahead, regardless of consequences. Oh, and let's not forget David Farragut's "damn the torpedoes" shtick.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 31
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/4/2008 6:53:13 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: andym

ROMFT     Roll On My F**king Time(Twelve)

Term used by a hacked off or RDP matelot.

RDP       Run Down Period,the period of time before the rating is released from Service,usually spent dodging work and a lot of loafing.

Ya gotta love the acronyms you ran across in the military. Some of my faves were:

BOHICA - bend over, here it comes again
GAF - give a f***, as in "I don't ..."
WDYSMRTFO (pronounced "woody smirtfo") - why don't you suck me right the f*** off?
HMNAWGSF - How many new airmen will get sore feet? Used in OTS as a mnemonic reminder of then-current USAF hierarchy (Headquarters, Major air command, Numbered air force, Air force, Wing, Group, Squadron, Flight)
STBRWO (pronounced "stuberwhoa") -sucks the big, red, wet one. Used when describing the brilliance of senior officers' ideas and plans, as in "This STBRWOs"

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 32
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/4/2008 7:02:59 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ironfist738

" Damn the Torpedoe's " I beleave was a battle cry from a American Naval officer.
means: Forward / Attack at any cost.

Sorry...who actually says "Damn the Torpedoes" in everyday life?
Just thought I'd point out the error of peoples ways

I used to work for an editor in chief who used it all the time. When he approved of publishing a piece despite its potential for prompting criticism, he'd say, "Well, damn the torpedoes, let's run it."

Another one of his favorites was "hoist on your own petard," which comes from the times when grenadiers would carry bombs with lit fuses (petards) against enemy fortifications, hoping to get there, plant the d@mned thing, and get away before it went off. "Hoist" is an old verb that meant "elevated," or, as in this case, "blown sky high." Anyway, when the old editor-in-chief had to call you into his office to chew your @$$ for screwing up, he'd always say somewhere in the midst of his tirade, "Well, you were sure hoist on your own petard this time."

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 33
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/4/2008 7:04:40 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: andym
RDP       Run Down Period,the period of time before the rating is released from Service,usually spent dodging work and a lot of loafing.

In the USAF, we used ROD (relieved of duty). Same-same.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 34
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/4/2008 7:32:07 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: MadmanRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Can anyone tell us what these military acronyms are
DFAC=?
TRATS=?

DFAC = Dining Facility

TRATS = Tin Tray Rations

Correct!

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 35
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/4/2008 9:25:14 PM   
andym

One thats never been decyphered is Biscuits (AB) and Biscuits Fruit (AB).I reckon the AB means 'ard Biscuits as they are like ships biscuits from Nelsons time.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 36
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 12:11:59 AM   
orwell

NAESU - Not Always Essential, Sometimes Useless - also known as the Naval Aviation Engineering Service Unit.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 37
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 4:57:47 AM   
cdbeck

A few more:

"He was supposed to show up at the party, but instead he went AWOL."
Same sentence could be said with, "He was 'Missing in Action.'"

During a camping trip, many people use the term Bivuoac.
I have heard people say, "I don't know about the place we are having the party. I might go there tonight for a little Recon."

My favorite is the "Half-Nelson" (holding someone by jamming their arm behind their back) - reference probably to Admiral Nelson, after he lost an arm.

Or, giving something the "Full Monty" - this is debatable, some people attribute this to Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery - but this is highly contentious.

I have heard people say the following, pretty often - "Class morale is low today." Or "We need to increase the morale of our workers." Use of "morale" is common, but definitely a military term.

"Fire for Effect" - or FOE - commonly used on usenets or forums - an artillery term to denote firing at something once range is sufficient and targeting is triangulated. Common use tends to be that a person hits an opponent with a powerful argument after setting up the discussion with some minor "targeting" shots. Go off on someone...

To "Blitz" is now a term heavily inculcated in common non-military use.

Referring to low men on the corporate or academic totem-pole as "Grunts" is also a common use for a military term.

And, the best one - Booyeah! Possibly not originating in the military, now heavily associated with Jarheads.

SoM

< Message edited by Son_of_Montfort -- 7/5/2008 8:08:00 AM >

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to orwell)
Post #: 38
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 5:28:15 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

You guys missed some major ones:
SoM

They may not have "missed" these. Perhaps they were just trying to come up with some interesting and colorful information.

Please don't criticize for their ignorance those who are just here to have a little fun.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 39
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 7:56:51 AM   
cdbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski
Please don't criticize for their ignorance those who are just here to have a little fun.

I gave no criticism, chill out. I was just trying to have some fun too. But I will edit if the wording bugs you.

< Message edited by Son_of_Montfort -- 7/5/2008 8:07:47 AM >

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 40
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 8:06:58 AM   
cdbeck

I just thought of a fun one!

SOS (and I don't mean the distress call)! My grandfather used to make corned beef on toast with a covering of brown gravy, lovingly referred to as S@#! on a Shingle (SOS). Some civvies still call it that, although the dish is rather rare these days. Pretty good tasting though, if you like corned beef.

Check my sig for another "pop culture" one.

SoM

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 41
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 2:31:24 PM   
MadmanRick

quote:

I just thought of a fun one!

SOS (and I don't mean the distress call)! My grandfather used to make corned beef on toast with a covering of brown gravy, lovingly referred to as S@#! on a Shingle (SOS). Some civvies still call it that, although the dish is rather rare these days. Pretty good tasting though, if you like corned beef.

Check my sig for another "pop culture" one.

SoM

Actually, SOS doesn't use corned beef, but rather creamed chipped beef. The difference being is that chipped beef is a dried, smoked and salted product. Also, just to clarify the gravy in my experience is normally a white gravy, rather then brown. I love this stuff. although it is increasingly hard to find, unless one takes the time to make it at home. Here is a link to a recipe:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Chipped_beef_on_toast

< Message edited by MadmanRick -- 7/5/2008 2:36:24 PM >

"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 42
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 3:30:47 PM   
MadmanRick

I can't believe that noone has come up with the really obvious ones such as "head", "galley" and "brig". "Head" being a navy term for bathroom, "galley" being a kitchen and "brig" being a jail.

There are also the following:

"Chewing The Fat" - originated in the 19th Century with seafaring men, referred to the tough cured beef that they ate. One man would sometimes chew on a piece for hours, thus "chewing the fat"

"Ahoy" - a Navy term used to hail other vessels, it was originally a Viking battle cry. It's most common use now is as a brand name, i.e. Chips Ahoy cookies.

"Above Board" - a term that now means someone who is honest and forthright, but it originated from the days of pirates when they would masquerade as honest merchantmen, hiding most of their crew behind the bulwark or below the boards.

"Knows the ropes" - another Navy term used on their discharge papers to mean that they were novice sailors and only knew the uses of the various ropes and not much else. Now it means someone who fully understands all aspects of an organization, quite the opposite of it's original meaning.

Army terms used commonly:

"Jeep" - Now used to refer to (most often) small 4 wheel drive vehicles, and a brandname owned by the Chrysler Corp. there are a number of supposed origins, the first being that it originated in World War II, when the Bantam Co. designed the small 4 wheel drive truck. It was supposedly called Jeep after the letters "GP" for general pupose. However there is some dispute of this with another possible meaning being that it came from the lettering system then in use by the U.S military, the "G" referring to government use  and the "P" referring to it's 80 inch wheelbase. Either way, it's commonly used to this day.

"Tank" - the name by which armored vehicles, designed to destroy other vehicles are known. It is know used as a slang term to describe large vehicles, particularly Sport Utility Vehicles in the U.S.

"Humvee" (also "Hummer") - Another term originally used to describe a 4 wheel drive vehicle, it originates from the nomenclature HMMWV or High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle. It is now used as a brand name by General Motors for their civilian vehicles.

"Cammies" - a slang term that refers to camouflage uniforms. Now it's used to refer to any clothes that feature a disruptive pattern of any sort, mainly used as hunting and leisure clothes here in the U.S.

"BFE" - Originally meaning "Bum F*** Egypt", used to describe remote places. Now used in the civilian world also to describe those same type of places.

"Boonies" - a military term also used to describe remote places. Now common in the civilian world.

"Cap or Capping" - originally used as military slang to describe shooting at someone or something. Also now used in the civilian world, i.e. "They capped him".

"Chop - Chop" - A Vietnam era slang term that originally referred to food. Now used in civilian life to mean do it quickly.

"Lifer" - Originally used as a derogatory term in the military to describe a career soldier. Now it is used the same way in the civvy world.

"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 43
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 6:09:55 PM   
cdbeck

That's right, cream chipped beef! That is why it tastes better! I don't recall ever having "true" SoS, might have to see if I can find the ingredients. I guess it is a popular military meal because it is cheap and quick?

SoM

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 44
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 6:43:42 PM   
thegreatwent

Basket Case. To be useless or have lost it. From WWI, quadruple amputees were carried around in baskets at the hospital and were thus basket cases.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 45
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 7:00:56 PM   
andym

quote:

ORIGINAL: orwell

NAESU - Not Always Essential, Sometimes Useless - also known as the Naval Aviation Engineering Service Unit.

we have a very similar one in the RN

WAFU = Wet And Fu**ing Useless, Fleet Air Arm member.

(in reply to orwell)
Post #: 46
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 7:01:18 PM   
jwarrenw13

16 years after retiring from the Army, I still find myself using military expressions  in ordinary conversation.  They'll come out and then I'll wonder what the other person thinks.  One, for example, is "say again" when I don't understand what someone on the phone or in person said. 

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 47
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 7:09:08 PM   
thegreatwent

R&R. Constantly here this used for going on vacation.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 48
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 9:24:10 PM   
Doggie

"The Big Red One" has a different connotation depending on which words are emphasized.  When I was there, it was always "The big Red one, with "Red One" said as one word.

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 49
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 9:26:19 PM   
andym

If you are interested in NAval terms may i reccomend "Jackspeak" by Surg Cmdr Rick Jolly RN.Have a look on Amazon for it,it also has a huge number of cartoons by "Tugg".

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 50
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 9:54:26 PM   
cdbeck

I believe that the name "Walkie-Talkie" comes from World War II military slang for a Handheld Tranceiver (HT). Funny, now this is the actual name for them.

The name Benedict Arnold still is used to denote a traitor (according to wikipedia, the name Quisling is used in Europe, from Vidkun Quisling, Norwegian politician who aided the Nazis). Arnold was an American officer who handed West Point over to the british during the War for Independence.

The word "decimate" - now used to indicate heavy losses, typically of manpower or loss of life - comes from the disciplinary tactic of the Roman military of killing off one out of every 10 men - decem = 10.

Although a bit archaic, people still use the term "Esprit de corps" to denote the happiness of a certain group - this is the French term for morale (or "spirit of the corps").

Although not a saying, and not technically military, a common food is the Croissant. Although the origin is shrouded in mystery, people think that it is either from the 732 Battle of Tours (Charles Martel vs. Spanish Moors) or from the 1683 defense of Vienna against the Ottoman Turks. At any rate, it probably is shaped as a crescent to mock the Islamic crescent moon.

SoM

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 51
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 11:10:09 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

"Ahoy" - a Navy term used to hail other vessels, it was originally a Viking battle cry. It's most common use now is as a brand name, i.e. Chips Ahoy cookies.

One summer during my misspent undergraduate years, I worked on a tree crew. The guy who ran the chipper would always warn, before running any wood into the machine, "Chips ahoy!"

Good cookies.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 52
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/5/2008 11:17:00 PM   
MadmanRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

16 years after retiring from the Army, I still find myself using military expressions in ordinary conversation. They'll come out and then I'll wonder what the other person thinks. One, for example, is "say again" when I don't understand what someone on the phone or in person said.

I completely forgot about that one! I spent some time in the Public Safety Dept here at the University I work at and when we would do radio checks, I would always repeat my radio number by saying that very thing ("I say again"). One of my fellow officers playfully mocks me with that to this day. I also frequently use "negative" instead of no, those habits die hard! I also remember right after I left the military, while looking for a job in the world I took an aptitude test and in the personal section I happened to write my address using military style numbers (with slashes through the zeros and lines through the sevens). The person who was giving the test was very critical and asked me to redo that section, because they said they didn't know what those markings were! I didn't get the job and I'm really not surprised. All turned out for the best anyway.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 53
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/6/2008 6:50:28 AM   
105mm Howitzer

I always use " Roger that". I pretty much hear it with civvies too. Sometimes I will spell out words using the military alphabet instead of common civilian ones..( no, no, it's spelled Mike-Alfa-Romeo-Charlie -Oscar) Yeah, old habits die hard.
quote:

quote:

16 years after retiring from the Army, I still find myself using military expressions in ordinary conversation. They'll come out and then I'll wonder what the other person thinks. One, for example, is "say again" when I don't understand what someone on the phone or in person said.

I completely forgot about that one! I spent some time in the Public Safety Dept here at the University I work at and when we would do radio checks, I would always repeat my radio number by saying that very thing ("I say again"). One of my fellow officers playfully mocks me with that to this day. I also frequently use "negative" instead of no, those habits die hard! I also remember right after I left the military, while looking for a job in the world I took an aptitude test and in the personal section I happened to write my address using military style numbers (with slashes through the zeros and lines through the sevens). The person who was giving the test was very critical and asked me to redo that section, because they said they didn't know what those markings were! I didn't get the job and I'm really not surprised. All turned out for the best anyway.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 54
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/6/2008 7:17:22 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

I spent 4 years in the Marines as a radio operator and I catch myself saying "Say again".
My 14 year old girl looks at me funny when I say "Hold the fort"

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 55
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/6/2008 9:57:33 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

How about, "The die is cast", attributed to Julius Caesar on crossing the Rubicon. Either means the dice has been rollled i.e the gamble has been made or the matter is fixed i.e the metal has been cast.

It means "the dice has been rolled" - that is, as you say, the gamble has been made, now we can only wait to see how the dice fall, it is now too late to go back.

And I have heard "crossing the Rubicon" occasionally, when somebody instigates a "revolt" or challenges his superiors in way that is very likely to end with either him or them losing everything.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 56
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/6/2008 10:29:14 PM   
pasternakski

Waterloo,
Waterloo,
Where were you
To meet your Waterloo?
Everybody has to pay,
Everybody has to play.
Everybody has to meet his Waterloo.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 57
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/7/2008 5:09:23 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

The name Benedict Arnold still is used to denote a traitor (according to wikipedia, the name Quisling is used in Europe, from Vidkun Quisling, Norwegian politician who aided the Nazis). Arnold was an American officer who handed West Point over to the british during the War for Independence.

Or the Norwegian 'Quisling', a traitor or collaborator.

Edit [oops I see that you've covered that one already].

< Message edited by Jeffrey H. -- 7/7/2008 5:10:19 AM >

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 58
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/7/2008 4:23:17 PM   
andym

"goffers" = Very rough weather or Soft fizzy drinks.
"Hooley" as in blowing a Hooley = lots of wind as in storm not flatus!
"Snorkers" =Sausages.
"9 O'clockers" = late evening snack served for watchkeepers,usually mug of "NATO Standard" and a "Mousetrap banjo"
"NATO Standard" = Tea,strong,white 2 sugars]
"Mousetrap" = Pussers hard cheese,supposed to be cheddar! 

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 59
RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life - 7/7/2008 4:31:00 PM   
Procrustes

Work boots have always been "boondockers" in my family, though the reference now escapes most people I know.  I picked it up from the WW2 generation - especially those that were in the Pacific.  I assumed it meant they were the boots you wore when you were deployed to the "boonies". 

As a kid our 5 gallon gasoline cans were all "Jerry Cans" - we got them from the army/navy surplus stores.  Again, seems to have passed.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Military Sayings in Everyday Life Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI