Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supreme Ruler 2020?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Supreme Ruler 2020? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/3/2008 5:47:38 PM   
PunkReaper

Noticed this game : Supreme Ruler 2020 was in the shops. Just downloading the demo but I was wondering if anyone has bought the game and if so whether they think its worth me spending my well earned money?
ps. Love the look of the new site ...very professional.
Post #: 1
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/3/2008 6:11:34 PM   
Terminus

I haven't bought the game, but I've seen a lot of people complaining about a very buggy product.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 2
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/3/2008 8:38:06 PM   
Feltan

Play the demo.

I did, and decided not to buy the game. This game will not appeal, in my opinion, to anyone who is interested in reality. The game does not correctly model how military units are raised, trained, deployed, maneuver, conduct combat, take casualties or sustain themselves logistically.

The military aspect of the game is a very basic mind numbing RTS. The economic and diplomatic portions of the game are better, but need a fair bit of work too.

If you are familiar with SR2010, it is esentially the same game with a bigger map and nifty 3D icons.

When asked why they smoked cigars instead of cigarettes, a WWII U.S. Marine responded that cigarettes "were only fit for women and children." I feel much the same way about Supreme Ruler 2020.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/5/2008 12:14:51 AM   
orwell

Feltan: Here or if you could point on the BG forums, could you elaborate on what you find wrong with the game? The few criticisms of yours I did find seemed well thought out, and I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts for what else could be done.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 4
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/5/2008 6:36:45 AM   
Feltan

Hello Orwell,

I don't participate in the BG forums any more.

As far as the game ..... golly, I could write for an hour about what they failed to do. The game has three main areas: military, diplomacy and economics.

With regard to the military/wargame portion:
- One cannot combine units to form brigades of any higher echelon. You have to move and give orders to battalion sized units -- each of them.
- There is no strategic movement. If you want a unit to move, say, from San Francisco to New York -- they have to march. No rail movement. Sea movement is squirrely, and air movement just odd.
- The AI attacks in penny packets. One battalion, maybe a couple, at a time.
- The AI will never do an amphibious assault. If you are the UK, Japan, Australia, etc -- you will NEVER be invaded.
- Artillery is a killer, which is fine, but the ranges are very very unrealistic. Esentially, you move killer stacks of artillery around to vaporize the enemy, with ground units in front just to protect them.
- Generally, the entire gound and air game was built around an RTS where the goal was to build tons of units and rush your opponent with a gaggle of hodge podge units. It isn't a "wargame" in any real sense of it.

With regard to diplomacy:
- If you play a large country (US, China, Russia, etc) you will have every country on earth declare war on you no matter what you do. Belligerance is based upon build cap, i.e. how much you can build militarily. It doesn't matter if you don't build or if you act like a saint -- simply having a high capacity and potential to build a large military sets every contry in motion to hate you and eventually (within a few game years) declare war on you.
- Numerous issues with alliances and how countries act and interact with each other -- too much to type.

With regard to economics:
- Every country is based on a Marxist-Leninist economic model. Central control of everything, no capitol nor free markets. Think command economy where the central government sets production rates, builds factories, sets taxes, takes all profit from companies, etc. With that as the premise, there isn't much else to discuss.

Now the game has its fans. From what I have seen, if you have no idea how militaries, economies or diplomacy works in real life you might like it. I believe the latest version was targeted for the masses of RTS kiddies who don't know any better. BG might well increase sales with this strategy, just don't be fooled that it is a serious game.

Keep in mind this central point: the game is not a geopolitical simulator. It could be, it should be, but it isn't by design. Rather, it is Supreme Ruler, a fantasy game that doesn't try to model reality.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to orwell)
Post #: 5
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/5/2008 5:51:30 PM   
pad152

I remember the first version of this game, you spent hours and hours trying to build an balanced armed force (Army, Navy, Airforce), invest in technology, and keep people happy, then I see Mexico, a country with no navy or airforce invade Japan and win! Any sense of realism when out the window, the game system is a total joke! Sounds like not much has changed with this version, it's nothing but a complete waste of time!

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 6
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/6/2008 1:32:43 PM   
Grell

Well that writes that one off.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 7
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/6/2008 3:34:52 PM   
LarryP

I have both 2010 and 2020. I bought 2020 without trying a demo and I am so sorry! 2010 was much better but like Feltan said so well, the realistic modeling stinks and is nonexistent.

2010 has a help function that works anytime in the game which is really nifty. Not in 2020, it's not there. No help.

The tutorials in 2020 would be a joke if I had not spent $40 for the game. They are worthless.

I hate the game.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 8
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/7/2008 3:28:30 PM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I have both 2010 and 2020. I bought 2020 without trying a demo and I am so sorry! 2010 was much better but like Feltan said so well, the realistic modeling stinks and is nonexistent.

2010 has a help function that works anytime in the game which is really nifty. Not in 2020, it's not there. No help.

The tutorials in 2020 would be a joke if I had not spent $40 for the game. They are worthless.

I hate the game.

LOL! Larry take a deep breath!

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 9
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/7/2008 3:43:31 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grell

LOL! Larry take a deep breath!

Regards,

Greg

OK... did that, now what?

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 10
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/7/2008 7:35:17 PM   
cdbeck

Wait, Larry, you didn't release that breath did you? I think he meant hold it until further notice.

On topic, I still never engaged with the demo. From the forums, it looks like there are a lot of bugs. What really killed it was the fact that the AI was not able to make amphibious landings, which pretty much makes the player invincible in overseas wars. Kinda silly really, if the opponent has the tech to attack overseas. Silly to think that Britain could DoW with the US, then just sit there with impunity.

SoM

< Message edited by Son_of_Montfort -- 7/7/2008 7:37:14 PM >

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 11
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/9/2008 4:37:41 PM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I hate the game.

LarryP,

Don't think of it as $40 down the crapper; rather, think of it as a very inexpensive education.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 12
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/9/2008 5:08:02 PM   
PunkReaper

Thanks for the replies and especially to Larry P for saving me money. Just bought an XBox 360 and some cheap games so feel like a pig in muck today!

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 13
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/9/2008 6:27:21 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan
LarryP,

Don't think of it as $40 down the crapper; rather, think of it as a very inexpensive education.

Regards,
Feltan

The problem is, I have had lots of these inexpensive educations. They are in boxes in the garage.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 14
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020? - 7/9/2008 6:29:09 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Thanks for the replies and especially to Larry P for saving me money. Just bought an XBox 360 and some cheap games so feel like a pig in muck today!

Well, actually you should thank Feltan more than me. He posted a great run down on the game. Me, I just posted some opinions without much merit.

Have fun with your XBox.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Supreme Ruler 2020? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll