Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any Zone Alarm Users out there

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Any Zone Alarm Users out there Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 2:34:15 AM   
gunny

Any Zone Alarm Users out there? You guys just got globbered by the latest windows auto update. I guess Checkpoint didn't pay their protection fees to M$. The latest MRT.exe auto update does not allow a connection to the internet while ZA is running. The smart thing is to system restore and stop taking updates or buy a new virus protection software.

Post #: 1
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 4:14:01 AM   
06 Maestro

I was wondering what in the hell was going on. My wifes laptop is the only thing online now-she is weak on updating; that can be a good thing apparently.

This was a very timly read-just moments before, I stopped a re-start to which would have finished a Windows update.

So, I guess its time to look for another firewall.

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 2
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 4:33:58 AM   
Joram

Huh, my ZA works fine? What am I not supposed to be able to do?  Which KB is it?  I see I have one pending.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 3
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 4:42:24 AM   
Joram

Never mind.  Researched the issue it's just XP.  You can temporarily lower your internet zone security to medium until they fix it anyway.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 4
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 4:56:28 AM   
gunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

I was wondering what in the hell was going on. My wifes laptop is the only thing online now-she is weak on updating; that can be a good thing apparently.

This was a very timly read-just moments before, I stopped a re-start to which would have finished a Windows update.

So, I guess its time to look for another firewall.

There is a workaround on the checkpoint ZA web site. Its a large patch file. Took me 15 min to dl. If you invoke that before the update it will be ok. Worse case turn off ZA to take the DL. But you'll be naked for 15min. And yes its an XP update.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 5
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 5:12:07 AM   
Cmdrcain

Your only Naked if ZA off if it is your one and only Firewall.

If using a Router, most have a Firewall in them, I have ZAP as asecondary firewall and to control OUTGOING thingsand limit what Programs access internet.

A Router with its firewall will block incoming

You might also while turn ZA off, turn Microsofts firewall on perhaps... for what little protection it has,
during that time.

Still if any only have ZA/ZAP, if using any cable/dsl connection its best look into buying a Router to use between the Cable/DSL modem and your PC, even if you only have One PC a Router adds hardware firewalling
as first defense line and your software firewall, which are more vulnerable as the secondary line and outgoing control.

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 6
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 10:57:50 AM   
JudgeDredd

I wondered what the hell happened yesterday. Downloaded the updates, rebooted and no internet. Couldn't get a page using Firefox OR IE7.

Used System Restore to get rid of the update and it was fine after that.

Thx for the heads-up.

Nice one Microsoft. Yet another release for people to beta test for you. I presume they know a fair number of people would be using Zone Alarm...it's arguably one of the most popular free firewalls...one would think (this being the case) they would've tested  with it.

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 7
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 1:17:49 PM   
jimi3

This comes from the ZoneAlarm Forum. It fixed the problem for me. Remember to click "Show Updates"

Click the "Start Menu"
Click "Control Panel", or click "Settings" then "Control Panel"
Click on "Add or Remove Programs"
On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a checkbox that says "show updates". Select this checkbox
Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)"
Click "Remove" to uninstall the hotfix

Thanks Microsoft
Jim

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 8
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 4:02:10 PM   
06 Maestro

I knew there was a good reason to visit this forum-now I can prove it to the wife.

(in reply to jimi3)
Post #: 9
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 5:27:04 PM   
PunkReaper

Glad I looked on this site instead of putting Zone Alarms on my wife's computer as I should have been. The Matrix Forum Magic strikes again .......its all about timing and today was a lucky day.

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 10
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 7:04:08 PM   
BAL

I had the same problem.  I just restored to a previous date & everything was OK.  Guess it's a little comforting to know I wasn't the only one that had this trouble. 

I'll try being nicer if you try being less stupid. - anon

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 11
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 8:23:37 PM   
Tanaka

Yes this drove me absolutely nuts to figure out what was going on! I finally deleted Zone Alarm and am now using Comodo. Much better! Zone Alarm has caused me too many headaches for the last time!

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 12
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 8:47:59 PM   
BAL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Yes this drove me absolutely nuts to figure out what was going on! I finally deleted Zone Alarm and am now using Comodo. Much better! Zone Alarm has caused me too many headaches for the last time!

How is Comodo? I, too, have about had it with ZA. Getting to be more trouble than it's worth.

I'll try being nicer if you try being less stupid. - anon

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 13
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/10/2008 10:27:45 PM   
Bodhi

Replaced Zone Alarm with Comodo about 1 year ago on my system. After 1 years use Ican say that's it's not perfect but I prefer it to Zone Alarm. So much so that I also removed Zone Alarm and replaced it with Comodo on my wife's system yesterday.

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 14
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/11/2008 6:11:31 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: BAL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

How is Comodo? I, too, have about had it with ZA. Getting to be more trouble than it's worth.

Having a great experience with it! Very pleased!

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 15
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/11/2008 8:41:23 AM   
06 Maestro

I looked into Comodo and decided not to install it. The recent "improvements" with that software seemed to have a bad effect. There are a large number of recent negative reviews at Cnet. Many were extremely negative, even taking to task the Cnet reviewer who gave it a glowing, and apparently, a misleading rating. It may still be a good program, but beware.
I kept ZA as it is working fine again. The problem was not with it anyway.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 16
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/11/2008 9:09:13 AM   
JudgeDredd

I've had no issues that I know of with ZoneAlarm at all....and I'd sooner unintsall that crap that is Microsoft OS than a decent tool made by a much smaller company.

Unfortunately, the way the capatalist world works, MS is the only viable OS for my system. It's a sad fact that I have to have this than nothing. It's not like they're new to the OS world. You'd think they might have got something right over the years. Unfortunately, it just seems to get worse.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 17
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/11/2008 3:23:08 PM   
mack2

On thursday (my time, it's now midnight friday) had about 20 calls (I work in a call center for the major australian ISP) out of about 40 for the day because of this.

Nice having calls that go "Hi, my internet is not working".. I say "do you have Zone Alarm, if you do can you disable it.".. "wow thanks, bye".

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/11/2008 3:28:04 PM   
JudgeDredd

I wonder how much financial burden that little update put on other businesses? Nevermind the confusion and inconvenience caused to millions of ordinary people!

You'd think they'd test their updates before release...or at least warn people what the update is to do with and what issues it might cause!

Honestly...as useless as a nun in a brothel!

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 19
RE: Any Zone Alarm Users out there - 7/11/2008 4:50:12 PM   
jimi3

What a pain for everyone. For what it is worth, Zone Alarm has a new updated version with a work around available for download. I installed the updated version and then ran the Microsoft Update and had no problems getting on the net.

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/

Jim

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Any Zone Alarm Users out there Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI