Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"The List"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> "The List" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"The List" - 7/8/2008 3:06:41 PM   
Old Man

Hi

A bit more info regarding my earlier question (below).. I used to own about 30 board games (all the cross of iron), Panzer Blitz, Midway, France 1940, Stalingrad, etc and then on to computer games with VGA Planets, Time Of Defiance (online), etc (collection of ~25).

Any era is fine, so long as it is "good" and hopefully not too buggy.

When I am asking for a "list", then I'd be happy for any and all suggestions and now with some extra time, I'll play a bit again (joy).

Again TY for any help with this, no matter how messy this might turn out to be.

-------------------------------------------
I’m looking for an up to date list for the best 4 or so games on this site to date please. I stopped playing these games years ago after getting married and am now interested in getting back to them again, though slowly. I’ve been playing a bit of Rome Total War (RTR) and the Total War series, but a list from this site would be nice.

< Message edited by Old Man -- 7/8/2008 5:16:51 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: "The List" - 7/8/2008 4:50:14 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Man
I’m looking for an up to date list for the best 4 or so games on this site to date please.

You realize this is asking for trouble - right

quote:

I’ve been playing a bit of Rome Total War (RTR) and the Total War series, but a list from this site would be nice.

It all depends on what you're into - which era (WWII, the rest), what type of games (tactical, operational, strategic) and if 3D graphics are a must. In other words : to give a meaningful answer to your question we need to have a bit more info.

That said, and irrespective of what you'll answer to the questions above : the #1 game in here is Conquest of the Aegean

Get all the info here :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=977049

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

< Message edited by sterckxe -- 7/8/2008 5:02:18 PM >

(in reply to Old Man)
Post #: 2
RE: "The List" - 7/8/2008 11:30:07 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

(all the cross of iron), Panzer Blitz, Midway, France 1940, Stalingrad, etc and then on to computer games with VGA Planets, Time Of Defiance (online), etc (collection of ~25).

Ok - detecting a WWII angle in here and this combined with your boardgame background which is mostly medium to high difficulty level I'd say you better read-up on the following games

- The Operational Art of War - a couple hundred scenarios ranging from WWI to Modern - the game most every wargamer has in one incarnation or other. A must have.

- John Tiller's Campaign Series : Matrix edition - turn-based squad level wargaming and also buckets of scenarios - an incredible bargain if you don't have it yet.

- Commander : Europe at War - strategic level WWII - the Panzer General of this generation, easy to get into and there's a demo for it so you can try before you buy.

- If 3D is your thing, check out Panzer Command : Kharkov - also has a demo

And speaking of demos : Battles in Normandy - an intricate boardgame-on-the-pc type of game and Gary Grigsby's World at War - an Axis & Allies on steroids type of game also have demos available

In short : now that you've discovered Matrix you've got years and years of pleasure ahead of you before you're through playing all their classics and every year they keep pumping out more and more great games.

It's good to be a pc wargamer in 2008

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Old Man)
Post #: 3
RE: "The List" - 7/9/2008 1:06:52 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Sterckxe, OAW features what kind of graphics ? Top-down view a la Campaign Series ( figurine-like) or old time cardboard counters/hexagon maps?
Regards
MC

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 4
RE: "The List" - 7/9/2008 5:36:49 PM   
cdbeck

Not trying to be mean, but I suggest the search function to see all of the "best of Matrix" threads, of which there are dozens. One will find that any list is subject to opinion, and with Matrix's rather medium amount of released titles, you can find them ordered in almost any configuration.

You will tend to see War in the Pacific, CotA, Advanced Tactics, and The Operational Art of War somewhere in the top five of most people's lists. Starting with these titles is a pretty good idea.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 5
RE: "The List" - 7/9/2008 5:49:58 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort
You will tend to see War in the Pacific, CotA, Advanced Tactics, and The Operational Art of War somewhere in the top five of most people's lists. Starting with these titles is a pretty good idea.

Well, yes and no - if someone asks what is the best Matrix game I've got no problems pointing him to Conquest of the Aegean - no need to look any further.

But if the question is "old boardgamer here - what would be a good game for me to start with ?" the answer is slightly different. Not saying that CotA would be an absolutely wrong choice , but it's just such a different beast when compared to your regular boardgame that it might be too overwhelming. It's like introducing a guy to boardgaming by presenting him Advanced Squad Leader. I'd rather have him try Memoir '44 or Tide of Iron first.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 6
RE: "The List" - 7/9/2008 10:13:04 PM   
cdbeck

Yeah, Advanced Tactics and Gary Grigsby's games (W@W or even WBtS) play like nice boardgames. Still, I think those that I listed are going to be what many, even rabid boardgame fans, would reccomend, particularly TOAW and AT.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 7
RE: "The List" - 7/9/2008 10:30:37 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

- John Tiller's Campaign Series : Matrix edition - turn-based squad level wargaming and also buckets of scenarios - an incredible bargain if you don't have it yet.

Just to clarify, JTCS is a platoon level game with a scale of 250m per hex.

And a gigantic update due at any moment.....

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 8
RE: "The List" - 7/9/2008 10:32:01 PM   
andym

PMSL not the old 1.03 issue again.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 9
RE: "The List" - 7/10/2008 1:38:06 PM   
Old Man

TY for all the suggestions.

I've been playing a bit of Hearts Of Iron 2: Doomsday, so it will be nice for change.

Any hmm older types on this board????     I'm 49, but if anybody asks, I'm still 25...

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 10
RE: "The List" - 7/10/2008 1:44:05 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

Any hmm older types on this board????     I'm 49, but if anybody asks, I'm still 25...

Didn't mean anything by that "older boardgamer" thing - just read it as "experienced conaisseur"

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx - 42 last time I checked

(in reply to Old Man)
Post #: 11
RE: "The List" - 7/10/2008 5:11:14 PM   
PunkReaper

quote:

Check again your picture somehow makes you look older......or are you talking doggy years?

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 12
RE: "The List" - 7/10/2008 5:42:53 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper
quote:

Check again your picture somehow makes you look older......or are you talking doggy years?

That doggie just turned 5 - and yesterday he was just a little pup peeing in the living room - how time flies

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 13
RE: "The List" - 7/10/2008 8:36:39 PM   
Zap

quote:

TY for all the suggestions.

I've been playing a bit of Hearts Of Iron 2: Doomsday, so it will be nice for change.

If your wondering, there are many on these boards in your age group and some a little older 55 here.

(in reply to Old Man)
Post #: 14
RE: "The List" - 7/11/2008 12:51:43 PM   
HansBolter

51 here....we are all a bunch of old farts.

I have a PBEM game of Uncommon Valor going with one of my local boardgame buddies.

Usually on Thursday nights we get together for baordgames. Sometimes our boardgame host is out of town on business and on those nights we have been meeting at a local restaurant to play our PBEM UV game head to head across the dinner table.

The first night we got together he made the observation that we are "the internet generation version of two old geezers playing checkers".

Spot on!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 15
RE: "The List" - 7/11/2008 1:26:59 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
The first night we got together he made the observation that we are "the internet generation version of two old geezers playing checkers".

ROTFL - that is *so* accurate

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> "The List" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread