Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 2:02:03 PM   
terje439

Current unanswered questions:

-Neilster: What strange method of guiding American air-launched weapons was suggested by a famous researcher towards the end of the Second World War?

-Warspite1: Which two naval vessels - one Italian, one German were named after the same historical character?

-Tigercub: when was the worlds first computer made and what for?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 31
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 2:03:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

when was the worlds first computer made and what for?
Warspite1

Don`t know what that`s got to do with WWII - but from my computer studies lessons back in the early 80`s wasn`t it something to do with Charles Babbage and Napier`s bones?? Late 1700`s/early 1800`s.

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 32
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 2:51:08 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

when was the worlds first computer made and what for?
Warspite1

Don`t know what that`s got to do with WWII - but from my computer studies lessons back in the early 80`s wasn`t it something to do with Charles Babbage and Napier`s bones?? Late 1700`s/early 1800`s.

Babbage, working from the 1820s until his death in 1871, didn't complete his mechanical computing machines. He kept tinkering with the designs and was a hard man to work for. His Difference Engine has since been built and it works. His Analytical Engine would have been a true computer.

There are some other contenders but generally it's considered the first electronic computer was Colossus, built by the British. It was used for code-breaking and generally on the Fish (German High Command) intercepts if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 4:05:49 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

when was the worlds first computer made and what for?
Warspite1

Babbage, working from the 1820s until his death in 1871, didn't complete his mechanical computing machines. He kept tinkering with the designs and was a hard man to work for. His Difference Engine has since been built and it works. His Analytical Engine would have been a true computer.

There are some other contenders but generally it's considered the first electronic computer was Colossus, built by the British. It was used for code-breaking and generally on the Fish (German High Command) intercepts if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

Neilster

That answers my - "Don`t know what that`s got to do with WWII" - comment then doesn`t it?

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 34
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 6:03:56 PM   
terje439

Seems this stopped up as soon as we got a few really hard ones. Oh well, I'll throw in an easy one then;

Q: Which highranking member of the Luftwaffe (early years) was more interested in testing the new models instead of running his own office?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 6:50:51 PM   
NeBert

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Seems this stopped up as soon as we got a few really hard ones. Oh well, I'll throw in an easy one then;

Q: Which highranking member of the Luftwaffe (early years) was more interested in testing the new models instead of running his own office?

I guess you mean Ernst Udet?

NeBert

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 36
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 8:32:34 PM   
Norman42

Good fun. Ok, here are a few head scratchers:

Q: What was the task of the 813th Pioneirkompanie of the Wehrmacth in Paris in August 1944?

Q: Who did Hitler call The Most Feared Man In Europe?

Q: What was the nickname of William Joyce, the British-American who broadcast English language propaganda for Germany?

Q: Identify the most decorated (ie medals, awards, citations) American unit in WW2.

Q: What was the code name for the US invasion of Okinawa on April 1, 1945?

Q: Name the Polish Division that fought on the side of the Soviets against the Germans.

Q: Identify the pilot who flew more combat missions then anyone else during the war.

And here are some real tough ones:

Q: Who was the youngest man serving in the US Navy to win a Purple Heart and Bronze Star, and how old was he?

Q: Who was sent searching Cairo to locate a mansion for Rommel to take as his HQ in his so-to-be-accoplished capture of the city?

Q: What was Hitler's dog's name?

< Message edited by Norman42 -- 7/12/2008 8:33:29 PM >

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to NeBert)
Post #: 37
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 8:41:57 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeBert

quote:

I guess you mean Ernst Udet?

I did indeed!

(in reply to NeBert)
Post #: 38
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 8:42:52 PM   
Norman42

quote:

Which two naval vessels - one Italian, one German were named after the same historical character?

Hmm.

Gonna take a guess at Julius Ceasar? (SS Kaiser Jules, and the battleship Guilio Caesare)

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 39
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 9:14:55 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42

Q: What was the task of the 813th Pioneirkompanie of the Wehrmacth in Paris in August 1944?

Q: What was the nickname of William Joyce, the British-American who broadcast English language propaganda for Germany?

Q: Identify the most decorated (ie medals, awards, citations) American unit in WW2.

Q: Name the Polish Division that fought on the side of the Soviets against the Germans.

Q: Identify the pilot who flew more combat missions then anyone else during the war.

Q: Who was the youngest man serving in the US Navy to win a Purple Heart and Bronze Star, and how old was he?

Q: Who was sent searching Cairo to locate a mansion for Rommel to take as his HQ in his so-to-be-accoplished capture of the city?

1. Didn't someone get the order to destroy Paris but they had ridiculously few men to do it? Was it these guys?

2. Otto Skorzenzy

3. Lord Haw Haw

7. Rudel, maybe

10. Blondie

Dunno the others and looking them up is against the spirit of the quiz.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 40
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 11:35:22 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

1. Didn't someone get the order to destroy Paris but they had ridiculously few men to do it? Was it these guys?

2. Otto Skorzenzy

3. Lord Haw Haw

7. Rudel, maybe

10. Blondie

Cheers, Neilster

Warspite1

2. I`d have said Rheinhardt Heydrich
3. Agree
5. Iceberg
10. Agree

Others - I could not even guess at....

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 41
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 11:43:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Which two naval vessels - one Italian, one German were named after the same historical character?

Hmm.

Gonna take a guess at Julius Ceasar? (SS Kaiser Jules, and the battleship Guilio Caesare)
Warspite1

Nope - in both cases

Clue: Both ships feature in ships in flames i.e. its not some obscure e-boat or something. By the way - what was SS Kaiser Jules??

Having ships of the same name must be fairly uncommon but bizarrely at the Battle of Trafalgar all three navies British/Spanish and French had a Neptune in the battle, both the French and Spanish had an Argonaut and Achille and Swiftsure featured in both the British and French fleets.

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 42
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/12/2008 11:54:55 PM   
warspite1

What was the name of the only man to win two Victoria Crosses in World War II (and the only combat soldier ever to do so)?
What was his nationality?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 43
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 12:07:45 AM   
cockney

can't think the the VC guys name off the top of my head, but he was a Gurkha.

never piss off a sgt major

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 44
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 12:15:44 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: cockney

can't think the the VC guys name off the top of my head, but he was a Gurkha.
Warspite1

Nope to that one too.

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 45
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 12:16:00 AM   
cockney

an easy one
who is the odd one out, and why?
Lee Marvin
John Wayne
Audy Murphy
James Stewart

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 46
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 12:17:33 AM   
warspite1

quote:

an easy one
who is the odd one out, and why?
Lee Marvin
John Wayne
Audy Murphy
James Stewart
Warspite1

John Wayne or Lee Marvin - I`ll plump for John Wayne - the others were in the air force.

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 47
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 12:32:23 AM   
cockney

good plump but not the right reason

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 48
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 12:34:55 AM   
warspite1

quote:

good plump but not the right reason

I know Murphy and Stewart were air force - so was Marvin navy or army and John Wayne neither - he just pretended to be tough on the silver screen??

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 49
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 12:41:48 AM   
cockney

Audie Leon Murphy (June 20, 1925May 28, 1971)[2] was an American soldier in World War II, who later became an actor, appearing in 44 American films.[2] He also found success as a country music composer.
In 27 months of combat action in World War II, Murphy became the most decorated United States combat soldier in United States military history.[2][3] He received the Medal of Honor, the U.S. military's highest award for valor, along with 32 additional U.S. medals,[2][3]five from France, and one from Belgium.[1][2][4]

James Stewart  in 1940, Stewart was drafted into the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC) but was rejected due to a weight problem. The USAAC had strict height and weight requirements for new recruits and Stewart was five pounds under the standard. To get up to 148 pounds he sought out the help of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's muscle man, Don Loomis, who was legendary for his ability to add or subtract pounds in his studio gymnasium. Stewart subsequently attempted to enlist in the USAAC but still came in under the weight requirement although he persuaded the AAC enlistment officer to run new tests, this time passing the weigh-in,[30] with the result that Stewart successfully enlisted in the Army in March 1941. He became the first major American movie star to wear a military uniform in World War II.

Lee Marvin was in the U.S. 4th Marine Division, serving as a sniper. He was wounded in action during the WWII Battle of Saipan, eight months prior to the Battle of Iwo Jima. Most of his platoon were killed during the battle. This had a significant effect on Marvin for the rest of his life.[2] He was awarded the Purple Heart medal and was given a medical discharge with the rank of Private First Class.[3]

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 50
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 12:48:01 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Audie Leon Murphy (June 20, 1925May 28, 1971)[2] was an American soldier in World War II, who later became an actor, appearing in 44 American films.[2] He also found success as a country music composer.
In 27 months of combat action in World War II, Murphy became the most decorated United States combat soldier in United States military history.[2][3] He received the Medal of Honor, the U.S. military's highest award for valor, along with 32 additional U.S. medals,[2][3]five from France, and one from Belgium.[1][2][4]

James Stewart  in 1940, Stewart was drafted into the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC) but was rejected due to a weight problem. The USAAC had strict height and weight requirements for new recruits and Stewart was five pounds under the standard. To get up to 148 pounds he sought out the help of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's muscle man, Don Loomis, who was legendary for his ability to add or subtract pounds in his studio gymnasium. Stewart subsequently attempted to enlist in the USAAC but still came in under the weight requirement although he persuaded the AAC enlistment officer to run new tests, this time passing the weigh-in,[30] with the result that Stewart successfully enlisted in the Army in March 1941. He became the first major American movie star to wear a military uniform in World War II.

Lee Marvin was in the U.S. 4th Marine Division, serving as a sniper. He was wounded in action during the WWII Battle of Saipan, eight months prior to the Battle of Iwo Jima. Most of his platoon were killed during the battle. This had a significant effect on Marvin for the rest of his life.[2] He was awarded the Purple Heart medal and was given a medical discharge with the rank of Private First Class.[3]

Warspite1

No - I obviously didn`t know Audie Murphy was air force!! - Right answer though

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 51
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 3:06:18 AM   
Norman42

quote:

Correct. The ~60 men of this unit were tasked with destroying Paris' landmarks, including the historic Seine bridges, and the eiffel Tower.

2. Otto Skorzenzy

Correct. Hitler's German-Hungarian super commando led daring raids, including rescuing Mussolini.

3. Lord Haw Haw

Correct.

7. Rudel, maybe

Correct. 2530 sorties and 500 tanks killed are credited to him...as well as his own WiF air unit.

10. Blondie

Correct. She was an English Terrir if I recall correctly.

Cheers, Neilster

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 52
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 3:10:58 AM   
Norman42

quote:

5. Iceberg

Correct.  Operation Iceberg was the code name of the Okinawa invasion.

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 53
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 5:55:15 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

The 442 (Nisei) Regiment was the most decorated American unit in WWII.

The First Red Polish Army was the name of the unit that the poles remaining in Russia formed.

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 54
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 5:59:56 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

10. Blondie

Correct. She was an English Terrir if I recall correctly.

Cheers, Neilster

Pretty sure Blondie was an Alsatian.

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 55
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 6:12:18 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

-Warspite1: Which two naval vessels - one Italian, one German were named after the same historical character?

Prince Eugene of Savoy - Prinz Eugen - E. Di Savoia
Fought with Marlborough at Blenheim although born in Paris. One of the big "what-ifs" of history is if Louis XIV would have recognized his talent.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 7/13/2008 6:16:22 AM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 56
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 8:22:04 AM   
Norman42

quote:

The 442 (Nisei) Regiment was the most decorated American unit in WWII.

Correct. The 442nd Regimental Combat Team consisted of Japanese-American volunteers. They won 4,667 major medals, awards, and citations, including 560 silver stars, 4000 bronze stars, 52DSCs, and 1 Medal of Honor. The unit also never had a single case of desertion throught the war. The majority served while their relatives were being held in American internment camps due to their Japanese heritage.

quote:

The First Red Polish Army was the name of the unit that the poles remaining in Russia formed.

Correct, although the first specific division that fought alongside the Soviets was called the 'Kosciusko Division'.

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 57
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 8:49:08 AM   
NeBert

Q: Which Pilots managed to score more than 300 officially approved victories during WW2?

NeBert

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 58
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 12:52:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

Prince Eugene of Savoy - Prinz Eugen - E. Di Savoia
Fought with Marlborough at Blenheim although born in Paris. One of the big "what-ifs" of history is if Louis XIV would have recognized his talent.

Warspite1 - correct paulderynck.
Still the hero double V.C winner question outstanding from me.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 59
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 4:32:19 PM   
Froonp

quote:

This is trickier and hopefully hard to Google. What strange method of guiding American air-launched weapons was suggested by a famous researcher towards the end of the Second World War?

Cheers, Neilster

Is Googling allowed or not ? I Googled to find out the Polish Bear story.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI