Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can;t download update or anything from the website

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Can;t download update or anything from the website Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/12/2008 3:46:44 PM   
dsawan

Hi, am having probs dowloading this or any other matrix update since the website was updated. All that happens is an hourglass and then times out. This never happened before the website got updated. Any way to fix? thx.
Post #: 1
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/12/2008 6:50:59 PM   
Ron Belcher

Is it the patch to JT:CS you are unable to download? If that's the case, I will send it
to you by way of Skype .. since the patch is just over 200+ mb, Skype will allow
such a big file to be easily transfered. Let me know!

(in reply to dsawan)
Post #: 2
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/12/2008 6:57:00 PM   
Ron Belcher

dsawan: Try this link once more though! I am able to access it and d/l the update without any difficulties.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/318/downloads/John%20Tiller's%20Campaign%20Series

(in reply to dsawan)
Post #: 3
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/12/2008 7:59:33 PM   
dsawan

Hi, tried and no go.  tactician, can you send it my way? thx.

(in reply to Ron Belcher)
Post #: 4
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/12/2008 8:00:28 PM   
dsawan

I should point out that i cant even do the war between the states update either. Could the server change have caused probs for people to dwld. stuff?

(in reply to dsawan)
Post #: 5
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/12/2008 8:55:42 PM   
scottintacoma

Dsawan,

I have not had a problem downloading anything since the Server move was completed.

Scott in Tacoma

(in reply to dsawan)
Post #: 6
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/13/2008 6:38:27 AM   
Ron Belcher

Here's another look at the download error phenomena...

If you downloaded the v1.03 "Beta" to JT:CS, you will not be able to download
the v1.03 "Final" release, from the Matrix menu that comes up when you
launch the game. However, the only result would be that like I posted above.
OR, obtaining it from me via Skype .. or, of course, another gamer ;)

(in reply to scottintacoma)
Post #: 7
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/13/2008 6:50:57 AM   
cw58

Dsawan,
Have you tried downloading through the Matrix homepage? Meaning, on Matrix homepage, click on news item "John Tiller's Campaign Series Gets a Mega Update!" This takes you to a second page with a link at the bottom "Get the update here". Which takes you to a third page where you can download the update. It works for me and I've already downloaded 1.03. Hope that helps.

(in reply to Ron Belcher)
Post #: 8
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/13/2008 1:41:30 PM   
dsawan

Hi, yes I have tried dwlding from matrix game link where it says download and takes you to third page. No go there. Same with the war between the states update. tried even DAP manager and no go.

(in reply to cw58)
Post #: 9
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/13/2008 2:29:30 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi dsawan,

Everything's working on this side, so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Have you tried another browser, another system, clearing your cache, clearing your DNS, etc.?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to dsawan)
Post #: 10
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/13/2008 7:58:28 PM   
Laramie

So far as I know, the Matrix Games site does not make it obvious that you have to lower your firewall in order to download files. Some sites in addition to Matrix apparently do work in this fashion, although it would seem better for customers to require cookies than to expose themselves to Internet intrusions by lowering firewalls. Most sites I am familiar with don't require either.

Disabling your firewall temporarily may not solve everyone's problems, but it might help some.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/13/2008 8:21:32 PM   
Legionaer

Hello all,

i downloaded it several times, all works. But if i want to unzip and install the exe file the program crashes. Don´t know what´s wrong.

I create and revise: OoB´s, ToE´s, Weapon Values for Modern Wars (forever CWE!) Working on OoB´s for the new CSCW and scenario playtesting for the Beta Brigade.

(in reply to Laramie)
Post #: 12
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/13/2008 8:28:55 PM   
junk2drive

dsawan solved his problem by using a different download manager.

Stefan, I used ZipGenius to extract the exe to a folder, then ran the exe.

(in reply to Legionaer)
Post #: 13
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/13/2008 10:27:32 PM   
Legionaer

Thank´s for your help. Can open the file and start the install, but now i have a lot error messages like this "A decompression error has occurred" with different bmps, org´s, scn´s ... .

Tried it now with WinZip, WinRAR and ZipGenius6. No more words.

Stefan

I create and revise: OoB´s, ToE´s, Weapon Values for Modern Wars (forever CWE!) Working on OoB´s for the new CSCW and scenario playtesting for the Beta Brigade.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 14
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/13/2008 11:40:17 PM   
Panzer Capta

To All,

I currently do not  have access to high speed internet.  Would anyone be willing to send me a copy of the update on disk and I will reimburse any postage.

Thanks

< Message edited by Panzer Captain -- 7/13/2008 11:41:08 PM >

(in reply to Legionaer)
Post #: 15
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/14/2008 12:18:58 AM   
Rekm41

I too am having problems d/ling this file. What to do??

Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!

(in reply to Panzer Capta)
Post #: 16
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/14/2008 1:10:02 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Laramie
So far as I know, the Matrix Games site does not make it obvious that you have to lower your firewall in order to download files. Some sites in addition to Matrix apparently do work in this fashion, although it would seem better for customers to require cookies than to expose themselves to Internet intrusions by lowering firewalls. Most sites I am familiar with don't require either.
Disabling your firewall temporarily may not solve everyone's problems, but it might help some.

I'm able to download from our site with my firewall up, I've never had to lower it in order to download. What firewall are you using?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Laramie)
Post #: 17
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/14/2008 1:11:51 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Legionaer
Thank´s for your help. Can open the file and start the install, but now i have a lot error messages like this "A decompression error has occurred" with different bmps, org´s, scn´s ... .

The download must have been corrupted during transfer.

We'll check what's on the server again in the morning, but I'm confident that the copy there is good, so the errors to the file must be happening in transit.

You can also use the Update feature from the game menu, as long as you have a version older than 1.03 installed (the 1.03 beta is seen as 1.03 by the auto-updater so it won't update it automatically).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Legionaer)
Post #: 18
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/14/2008 10:37:35 PM   
Ron Belcher

Yo! Dsawan... were u able to get the patch yet?  I am on Skype now, as a matter of fact.
You've yet to add me on as your friend using it.  As soon as you do, I'll start that file
transfer.

-= Ron =-

Post #: 19
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/15/2008 12:53:00 AM   
Laramie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Laramie

I'm able to download from our site with my firewall up, I've never had to lower it in order to download. What firewall are you using?

A post in tech support forum about my problem dl-ing a while back. I use Zone Alarm:

All Forums >> [General] >> Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Download not working
"Erik, I think the download problem may often be attributable to one item you mentioned - turning off the firewall. Despite having cookies enabled, and the ability to purchase and download games via your store, I could not download any file from Matrix - private or not...until I turned off my firewall - a very common one. This is not the norm at other sites in my experience and don't recall ever having to do this before, although I dl patches for quite a few programs often.

You might consider making the instruction to turn off firewalls much more prominent. It would save a lot of time and frustration on both the company and the customers' behalf. If the instruction is already present at the download locations, it isn't clear or obvious enough. Perhaps some of us are subaverage IQ or whatever, but the patch download process ought not to be an IQ test!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)"

Turning off Zone Alarm allows me to dl from the site. I noticed several other posts along the same lines. Not sure whether there is one address I could "permit" for Matrix, within Zone Alarm that would give permission for any download. You are correct that some other ftp sites have the same situation - some kind of special configuration perhaps or else just lowering the firewall. But this is pretty rare in my experience.

All that aside, once I knew to do this, the problem was solved. So for those of use whose firewalls react this way it would be helpful to make this solution more prominent on the main download page.

Erik, I want to be sure you know I'm not complaining or upset at all with Matrix Games - I think you have a terrific lineup of games and simulations, are as customer oriented as a smaller company can be, and respond to questions, requests and even rude posts with profesionalism. My suggestion is purely meant to increase user-friendliness on the site, and save time for both users and staff.

Post #: 20
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/15/2008 2:34:32 AM   
scottintacoma

Laramie,

I have heard the latest Microsoft update effected Zone Alarm. They have a patch on their site.

Scott in tAcoma

(in reply to Laramie)
Post #: 21
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/15/2008 3:39:29 AM   
Laramie

Scott, that's correct - ran afoul of that last week but the ZA new version fixes the Windows Security update clash. However, the issue with firewall and Matrix downloads has been around for a long time. Same behavior with the latest Zone Alarm. In reality, I don't think it's that big a deal - just not made as obvious what might be causing a problem for some people as it could be.

PS Do you enjoy Tacoma area? Listen to public radio there? A couple - at least! of excllent stations for jazz and for news.

(in reply to scottintacoma)
Post #: 22
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/15/2008 11:47:34 AM   
Legionaer

The situation is following: I dl again last night the newest Update on my old Notebook with WinXP/SP2 (use here a JTCS install with the last updates for tests) again and all is working, NO PROBLEMS!

Than i want to dl it for my main PC with WinXP Media Center and ... have the same problems again, can dl but not install the file. No Zonealarm on both, use the Win Firewall!

quote:

Original: Erik Rutins

You can also use the Update feature from the game menu, as long as you have a version older than 1.03 installed

I tried it, but it doesn´t work!

Is it possible that WinXP Media Center is the reason for all?

Stefan

(in reply to Laramie)
Post #: 23
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/15/2008 12:36:55 PM   
scottintacoma

Laramie,

I have been here all my life, and love it. I dont listen to PBR. Either country or 70/early 80s rock. I add the Tacoma to my name because there are a number of forums I am on that have more than one Scott on them.

Scott in tAcoma

(in reply to Laramie)
Post #: 24
RE: Can;t download update or anything from the website - 7/18/2008 8:24:29 PM   
tbsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsawan

Hi, am having probs dowloading this or any other matrix update since the website was updated.

Hi, I was having that same trouble after the Matrix server move, though that may have been a coincidence. In the past I've bought and downloaded (including Matrix Version Freebies) around 13 games and have never had a problem with download management, corrupt files, time out errors, fire wall blockages or anything else for that matter.

However, this time, I just couldn't get 'this update'. After trying a load of options: via a laptop, a tower system, with firewall, without firewall, changing firewalls, connecting wirelessly, via ethernet, via usb, I was getting a bit annoyed. I mean, I love this site, the games and the service that Matrix provides. The thought that I'd never be able to download any new games or updates in the future was rather depressing.

Thankfully, I managed to get the update today. Using a simple (free) "Download Manager", which I've never had to use before, I downloaded the update in a matter of minutes.

Very Happy.

(in reply to dsawan)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Can;t download update or anything from the website Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI