Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Things I'd like to change

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Things I'd like to change Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Things I'd like to change - 7/13/2008 11:53:46 PM   
hgilmer

1. Able to disband own units. Good grief, once you hit out of supply, the game just keeps on building militia and it won't let me disband (or does it?) - so once I'm out of supply, it is almost impossible to get back to where I'm building more supply than I need.

2. There is NOOOOOOOO way, I don't care if it is the dead of winter in the, that infantry, cavalry, or artillery could not move from forest into clear land in 1 month in the South, especially when they have initiative!! I was trying to move from Dickson to Nashville and I got initiative in all the winter months, but hey, guess what, no initiative in the "summer" months. If not for that and the supply thing, I'd have captured Robert E. Lee!!!!!! And destroyed an army of 56000 troops or more!!!

I'm kind of half joking/kind of half serious on #2. And if there is a way to disband units on my own, I'd love that and hope someone will tell me. I have not really tried to combine units that are damaged yet, maybe that is a work around (since I'm getting 12-15 damaged) to some extent to alleviate the problem, but it doesn't seem like it will completely solve my problem.

Post #: 1
RE: Things I'd like to change - 7/14/2008 12:12:47 AM   
Bo Rearguard

Technically, you are disbanding units when you merge damaged ones in the production screen. As the Confederacy it's almost a mandatory strategy.

Merge 2 infantry units - You get 1 Infantry unit and 1 Militia unit mobilized, you get to build 20 supplies with the 2 production you didn't use and only use 5 for the militia unit created with the saved population. Net 1 Infantry, 1 Militia, 15 Supplies.

Simply repair 2 Infantry units - You net 2 Infantry units.

So if you're willing to wait and then take 1 Militia unit that will need training, you save a net 15 supplies. These add up over time and allow you to do a lot as the Confederates that you wouldn't be able to do if you're always repairing your infantry as soon as they are damaged.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to hgilmer)
Post #: 2
RE: Things I'd like to change - 7/14/2008 1:02:08 AM   
hgilmer

Thanks, that will definitely help.

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 3
RE: Things I'd like to change - 7/14/2008 1:05:23 AM   
Rekm41

How do you merge the 2 inf guys in the production queue? I presume they have to be in the same region to merge?

Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!

(in reply to hgilmer)
Post #: 4
RE: Things I'd like to change - 7/14/2008 1:33:27 AM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: rekm41

How do you merge the 2 inf guys in the production queue? I presume they have to be in the same region to merge?

Correct. They'll be in the same region in last production box. They may be merged by left clicking on one of the damaged units. You'll get a yes or no confirmation message. If you say no you'll be asked if you want to disband the unit. Click yes, the units are merged. One is immediately placed on the map in the region at no production or population cost. The other is disbanded.

BTW this all works for cavalry units too.

< Message edited by Bo Rearguard -- 7/14/2008 1:42:19 AM >

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to Rekm41)
Post #: 5
RE: Things I'd like to change - 7/14/2008 1:44:04 AM   
Rekm41

Thanks. I think I was probably trying it on the Main production page.

Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 6
RE: Things I'd like to change - 7/14/2008 1:52:09 AM   
willgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer

1. Able to disband own units. Good grief, once you hit out of supply, the game just keeps on building militia and it won't let me disband (or does it?) - so once I'm out of supply, it is almost impossible to get back to where I'm building more supply than I need.

Couple of points:

1. The problem is self limiting; militia are only built with surplus supplies left over after re-supplying existing troops and whatever you're choosing to build.
No surplus=no new militia.

2. You can minimize the supplies consumed by moving on map troops, especially those not on the front line, into areas that still have abundant resources. They will auto-forage from these resources before drawing down supplies. Troops left in the same area turn after turn will tend to exhaust its resources.

3. In future games, you can build more factories. This has been discussed here and several people said they haven't found building necessary, however, YMMV!

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to hgilmer)
Post #: 7
RE: Things I'd like to change - 7/14/2008 2:27:10 AM   
hgilmer2

You ought to be able to turn off making militia. 

This is my new screen name.  I wanted to change the email address and I had to go through about 15 hoops to get a new email into the system including a new screen name.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Things I'd like to change Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI