Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Screen Res Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hornet Leader PC >> RE: Screen Res Question Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
[Poll]

Screen Res Question

Yes I can support it fine and/or I run other stuff at that resolution
  64% (64)
I cannot support that resolution at all with any system I own
  35% (35)

Total Votes : 99

(last vote on : 1/22/2020 6:53:27 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Screen Res Question - 1/1/2008 10:48:13 AM   
Apocal

Count me in the numbers who can't play the game. Although the poll might be a bit skewed, because if the game runs fine the person isn't as likely to come to the forum, whereas someone with problems is, in pursuit of tech support.

The reason I use a laptop is I go on frequent overseas trips and dragging a desktop along is just too much.

(in reply to StormcloudCreations)
Post #: 61
RE: Screen Res Question - 1/27/2008 1:25:23 AM   
barcelonablom

Any word on when we can see anything? Didn't mean that literally in this sense... 

Turns out something is jacked up with my desktop and I can't get it working...

(in reply to Apocal)
Post #: 62
RE: Screen Res Question - 1/27/2008 6:12:22 PM   
Wolfe1759

Count me in as one who has bought it but cant use it.

I admit it is my own stupid fault for getting a bit over keen having enjoyed the origional board/card version and clicking through on an impulse buy before even thinking about checking the specs.

Now I'm keenly awaiting a patch turning up that will let me play it as the bits I can see do look good.

(in reply to barcelonablom)
Post #: 63
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/11/2008 11:50:30 PM   
87Ranger

Reading the posts I noticed that Derek says that most monitors made in the last few years can handle Hornet Leader. I must be missing something because I just bought a 19" flatscreen and have a 256mb video card and my resolution only goes to like 14something to 900.

I think this is a great idea for a game, and I bought it thinking I would upgrade to a nice flat screen from my huge 17" inch monitor. No dice I guess because I have fiddled around with the settings and I still get to a point where I can pick pilots but can't move on.

In this age of niche gaming, where the prices are ever increasing, you would think that game developers would make it easier rather than harder to run these sims. I realize that there is a lot to put into a screen, but with no work around, your surely going to niche yourself right out of many would be buyers. (Yeah, all those with the laptops too.)

I guess I'll have to wait until I can upgrade to a twenty inch, or pray for a patch.

Post #: 64
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/12/2008 12:26:14 AM   
TonyAAA

Count me in the group that can play it fine---works great on my 10 year old 21" SGIs.

(in reply to 87Ranger)
Post #: 65
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/12/2008 7:21:51 PM   
StormcloudCreations

87: Hmm...strange. Rarely have I heard of a newer monitor and video system that only went that high. I did do a survey on here before release in this thread to determine the viability of this res, and at the time, 88+% were able to run it. I have learned a hard-won lesson though; future releases through Matrix will probably use 1024x768 as the base res (scaling up could be an option of course).

Derek
Lead Programmer of Hornet Leader PC
Mindtoy Games - Unique Strategy/Board/Card games for the PC - mindtoygames.com

(in reply to TonyAAA)
Post #: 66
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/12/2008 11:41:25 PM   
87Ranger

It could be that I am doing something wrong. The tweaks I'm working with are the obvious and I could be missing something that I could adjust. If ANYone has any ideas, that would be great.

Post #: 67
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/13/2008 1:13:23 AM   
flintlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: StormcloudCreations

Hmm...strange. Rarely have I heard of a newer monitor and video system that only went that high.

1440x900 is the maximum resolution on many newer laptop displays and 19" widescreen desktop LCDs.

Post #: 68
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/13/2008 1:22:13 AM   
flintlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: 87Ranger

It could be that I am doing something wrong.

It looks as though your monitor has a maximum resolution of 1440x900 (typical on 19" widescreen LCDs). Since HLPC is locked at 1280 pixels horizontally, your display will stretch it the extra 160 pixels, but you're out of luck vertically. What you have is a 8:5 aspect ratio widescreen resolution trying to accommodate a 5:4 locked resolution that's displaying 124 additional pixels vertically than your display has available.

(in reply to 87Ranger)
Post #: 69
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/14/2008 5:50:15 AM   
87Ranger

Even with new stuff some things just don't work....Bummer

(in reply to flintlock)
Post #: 70
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/14/2008 6:18:56 AM   
flintlock

Hornet Leader really is a great game, so I'd definitely hang in there as Dan and company seem genuinely committed to continue ongoing support of this wonderful title. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a patch released down the road which may resolve this issue for you and others.

(in reply to 87Ranger)
Post #: 71
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/14/2008 7:09:57 AM   
rmielech

quote:

87: Hmm...strange. Rarely have I heard of a newer monitor and video system that only went that high.

I'm stuck in the same boat, and my monitor's not old. Obviously there's more of a problem than was foreseen. Otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it. Restricting the game to this resolution was a huge gaffe. This is literally the only game I can't play on my system, and it's because of that. I find it hard to believe this happened, survey or not. I sure as hell would never have released it this way, and I wouldn't have needed any survey to come to that conclusion.

Post #: 72
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/14/2008 5:39:30 PM   
bink

quote:

87: Hmm...strange. Rarely have I heard of a newer monitor and video system that only went that high.

Stormcloud,

I am surprised that you still feel it is "rare" for a "newer monitor" to only go that high.

I presented some data to you in a previous post in this thread, back in August 07 (relating to Q1 2007 data), showing that about 40% of desktop and LCD displays shipped in Q1 2007 could NOT run Hornet Leader - I hardly call this "rare"

Furthermore, you only need to take an anecdotal look at new computers being sold to see that is is VERY common for newer monitors to have limited resolution. For example, Dell offers 17" and 19" widescreen monitors that max out at 1440x900. You have to go to a 20" monitor to jump to 1680x1050 resolution. It is a similar situation with notebooks - most consumer notebooks come with a 1280x800 resolution.

I don't think you can say it is "rare"!

Post #: 73
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/20/2008 11:42:22 PM   
Alex777

Here's 1 more consumer who would buy HL if it would display properly on my 1280 x 800 laptop.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 74
RE: Screen Res Question - 2/29/2008 2:38:50 AM   
seydlitz_slith

Interested in the game, but not with the current fixed resolution.   The poll is somewhat misleading.  While my desktop rig may be able to run in the fix resolution required (meaning I answered yes), it is certainly not a resolution that I would want to run it at. Both my desktop (1600x1050) and laptop (17" widescreen multimedia unit) do not look good with that particular resolution.   If the poll were reworded to say   "I am fine with the current locked resolution" or "The resolution must be adjustable to fit my system/preference" then I think that the answer would overwhelmingly be in favor of adjustable resolution.  Also, If I have a desktop and a laptop, but the game will only work on the desktop, saying "well you should still buy because you can play on your desktop" isn't adequate at all if my intent was to be able to play on my laptop most of the time.

(in reply to Alex777)
Post #: 75
RE: Screen Res Question - 5/29/2008 2:20:39 AM   
Herr Colonel

quote:

ORIGINAL: bink

For example, Dell offers 17" and 19" widescreen monitors that max out at 1440x900. You have to go to a 20" monitor to jump to 1680x1050 resolution. It is a similar situation with notebooks - most consumer notebooks come with a 1280x800 resolution.

I should have paid more attention instead of opening an entire new thread about this...sigh.

Anyway, as I said there, I have a Vaio that's not quite a year old that goes to 1440 x 900. My desktop is old and rickety and I don't use it for anything anymore, except as a platform for my kids to play on. So, this is my main gaming rig, and it is indeed a bummer to not be able to run it. My $0.02.

If this is a target for a future update, though, I can wait. :)

Michael Eckenfels
Matrix Games Writer/Editor

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 76
RE: Screen Res Question - 7/15/2008 2:51:55 AM   
I_need_help

I just bought the game and could not play it but Erik's suggestion (and the latest Nvidia drivers) did the trick!

< Message edited by I_need_help -- 7/15/2008 3:15:18 AM >

(in reply to Herr Colonel)
Post #: 77
RE: Screen Res Question - 8/9/2008 12:44:04 PM   
NefariousKoel

Erik's suggestion, unfortunately, doesn't work on many widescreen monitors.  MMV, yep.

(in reply to I_need_help)
Post #: 78
RE: Screen Res Question - 12/3/2008 4:03:02 PM   
Monkie

I have been a fan of the Thunderbolt /Apache leader leader board game and was excited about the opportunity to have the same experience using my laptop with Hornet Leader (I travel for a living and a desktop is not an option). Unfortunatley I'm stuck with 1280x800 with a brand new Dell M1530 XPS laptop and the demo won't work with that screen size. If this gets corrected I'd purchase the game for sure. Thanks for this thread so we can give you some feedback.

JC

< Message edited by Monkie -- 12/13/2008 11:52:11 AM >

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 79
RE: Screen Res Question - 1/12/2009 10:59:43 PM   
Scott_WAR

Wow, sorry I didnt see this game in time to warn you. I have seen this before,........ you MUST make the game able to use more than one resolution unless you use 800X600. Even requiring 1024x768 will cost you a lot of sales. Yes a LOT of people still use 800X600, and if you exclude them from buying your games, you just cut your potential sales by at least 50%.

Also always bear in mind that wargamers dont tend to have top of the line hardware, especially in the graphics department, since most wargames just dont require a really good video card.

(in reply to Monkie)
Post #: 80
RE: Screen Res Question - 1/19/2009 12:21:21 PM   
CapnDarwin

Scott,

The problem is more involved then just saying games need to support 800x600. A 3d shooter can get away with lower resolutions with a loss of looks. Wargames of the 2d variety have interfaces of a more static/fixed nature. There is only so much room for the amount of info you are trying to display. In most cases this would mean the actual game map would be very small and depending on static information you may have to right code for an entire different (less capable) interface. I know right now the new Flashpoint games bottom out at 1024x768. This is do to the information display and coding to support much larger displays, wide screens, and multiple monitors. Even then it is tough. Add in the need to be supportive to large fonts (a problem that happenend to a guy with Flashpoint Germany a couple months back) and it is trickier still. It would be great to be able to support everyone's equipment, but the reality is you just can't. Someone gets left out in the cold. The best we can do is tell you where the cutoffs are.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I hope it makes some sense.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 81
RE: Screen Res Question - 1/19/2009 1:48:59 PM   
Scott_WAR

Yeah, you get the reverse argument also. People that pay a large amount of money for their system usually arent going to settle for graphics that are outdated by a decade. On the other hand people that play wargames typically DONT have high end equipment,..... they dont need it to play the vast majority of war games. The fact is you need to support a variety of resolutions.

If a choice has to be made, when dealing with war games it obvious, you MUST cater to the lower specs that most war gamers are using. Otherwise you make your product unusable by a large portion of your customer base. The better choice would be to make it work for every resolution that is common.....800X600, 1024X768, 1280X800, 1440X900. That way you maximize the potential for sales. Whatever the reasons, the consumer typically doesnt care beyond the question 'does it work on my system?'

Oh BTW, I have a high end system, and run 1440X900. I have no problem running the game. I just understand the frustration a lot of people are having with this issue.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 1/19/2009 5:19:12 PM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 82
RE: Screen Res Question - 1/24/2009 8:12:12 PM   
StormcloudCreations

Scott: Yep, I totally understand what you're saying. The decision for that resolution was made due mainly to the amount of info we needed to display everything. I wanted most everything on ONE screen, rather than a lot of clicking to see info and popups going on. Early surveys we did supported the fact that the majority of people support the 1280x1024 just fine, so I figured it wouldn't be an issue.

Any future games I do for Matrix (or any other games for that matter) will top out at 1024x768, probably. That way I can support laptops and low end systems a lot better, but not sacrifice detailed screen displays with lots of info presented in an easy to read fashion.

Derek
Lead Programmer of Hornet Leader PC
Mindtoy Games - Unique Strategy/Board/Card games for the PC - mindtoygames.com

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 83
RE: Screen Res Question - 3/12/2009 2:00:31 AM   
bink

Derek,

Why not allow for flexible resolutions? At a minimum I think you should support a widescreen alternative, since this is the dominant type of new display for both notebooks and desktops.

Post #: 84
RE: Screen Res Question - 5/19/2009 5:31:21 AM   
NefariousKoel

Yes, widescreen resolution is a must these days.

Actually, I don't intend on buying any new games that don't support it.  And limiting screen resolution to 1024x768 will lose you a sale with me.   I have lots of available display space and if it is stretched out to insanity or I keep the original aspect ratio (with my video drivers) which would only cover half my monitor area, then I'm a no go.

(in reply to bink)
Post #: 85
RE: Screen Res Question - 5/7/2012 2:03:56 AM   
fredlufc1

Well I've just bought this game and guess what, I didn't read the requirements properly.

I have a laptop and am always working away from home so I thought I'd get a good strategy game and a friend of mine recommended this.

I know it's my fault for not reading the specs but if anyone has found a work around so that I could see the other half of the screen that would be great.

I did try the earlier solution but it didn't work.

Anyway regards Fred

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 86
RE: Screen Res Question - 11/2/2012 4:40:15 PM   
wodin

I never buy games that limit the res. All games should come with a choice of resolutions these days. A fair few of Matrix stable have low res specs. SSG games for instance are all fixed below my widescreen res. Which means it stretches the pic so it ends up looking awful.

(in reply to fredlufc1)
Post #: 87
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hornet Leader PC >> RE: Screen Res Question Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI