Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No InGame Sound at all.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> No InGame Sound at all. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No InGame Sound at all. - 10/3/2000 11:57:00 PM   
wbowley

I have installed the game four times. Two full downloads, one limited download and the latest is from the PC Gamer October CD. So I guess that spans pretty much all of the versions since the initial release. The opening videos and sounds play perfectly, but as soon as the game starts, no sound at all. I have deleted the preferences file from the save directory and restarted the game, I have selected and deselected unit fx and soundtrack so many times I have lost count. Every other piece of gaming software I own works perfectly with my hardware except the one I want to play the most, SPWAW. (Sigh). Any ideas? I have an AWE64D with the latest drivers from Creative, Altec Lansing speakers and subwoofer. Sound works great on Steel Panthers III, OPART/CW, and all of the Battleground games, but not at all within SPWAW. Please, I need some help with this. The sound is what makes the game so immersive. It's fun to play anyway, but without sound it's half a game.

Post #: 1
- 10/4/2000 12:09:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Now we have some very sharp computer folks on this forum. Bill asked me about this one and I did not have an answer. I'm not strong at all on the technical aspects of the game. I do know, however, from previous posts, that there are many here who are. So help out this fellow gamer, please! He wants to enjoy the game as much as you and I are enjoying it. Any hints or suggestions will be greatly appreciated by both "Bills" Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to wbowley)
Post #: 2
- 10/4/2000 12:18:00 AM   
Fuerte

I can only guess, but buying a new sound card might help. SB Live Value is the best choice at the moment, because Aureal is in bankruptcy. I have MX300 (Vortex 2). If that is not an option, then installing DirectX 7.1 or something might help. Still, in SPWAW 4.1 many of the sound files were fixed, they are now in a consistent format, which some older sound cards handle better. Have you tried 4.1?

(in reply to wbowley)
Post #: 3
- 10/4/2000 2:58:00 AM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Fuerte: I can only guess, but buying a new sound card might help. SB Live Value is the best choice at the moment, because Aureal is in bankruptcy.
No, don't do this - especially don't buy the SB Live Value .. it's the card that caused most of the troubles Your AWE64 should be fine, as far as I know.
quote:

If that is not an option, then installing DirectX 7.1 or something might help.
Not necessary, too, In fact, DX7.0a could cause you some problems because it needs newer drivers for graphics, sound etc. . Most times not an issue, as some "standard drivers" come along with the install, but I have seen troubles with this as well.
quote:

Still, in SPWAW 4.1 many of the sound files were fixed, they are now in a consistent format, which some older sound cards handle better. Have you tried 4.1?
Now that's important - especially SB drivers seem to have trouble playing sounds with different formats at once . IMHO most severe problems with sound originate in a faulty Windows configuration .. but don't get me wrong - some sounds missing now and than, or some weapon animation not playing at all is an old SP issue, that wasn't corrected since SP1 - and the matrix team can't do much about it as they got the code without any documentation ; But if you can't get any sounds something must be wrong - most likely with either the SPWAW install or your Windows configuration. I have tried SPWaW v2.3 on my old machine : K5-166, 64MB, 64MB Swap, S3 TrioV64 2MB, ALS120 sound, Win95c with DX6.1 .. as you can see, neither the newest hardware nor the newest drivers, but it ran well !!! But maybe there is a "special problem" with especially your soundcard or graphics card, or whatever you have in your machine - it's unlikely, but you never know Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to wbowley)
Post #: 4
- 10/4/2000 6:30:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Still looking for some answers here for William Bowley if any of you have more ideas on how to get sound for his game...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to wbowley)
Post #: 5
- 10/4/2000 6:46:00 AM   
Schrullenhaft

Earlier posts mentioned a problem with the sound formats being a bit different for a number of the sounds and this may be confusing the drivers for the SoundBlaster. The following suggestion doesn't really address this, but it may be worth a try. Assuming that you've installed DirectX 6.1 or later (if you haven't then you're going to have problems running SPWAW). Go to the Start Menu > Run > type c:\program files\directx\setup\dxdiag.exe (DX 6.1 may have a different directory structure under the "directx" directory and/or it may have a different filename which may be "setup.exe" > this will launch the DirectX control applet (the bottom of the initial tab will tell you what version of DirectX you're running) > click on the Sound tab > on the middle left of the tab adjust the "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level" all the way to the left > click on the Exit button. I'm not sure what sort of "hardware acceleration" the AWE64 would provide to DirectX, but maybe this will affect the way SPWAW works with the audio drivers. [This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited October 03, 2000).]

(in reply to wbowley)
Post #: 6
- 10/4/2000 8:26:00 AM   
Rhone

I have to disagree about the Sound Blaster Live Value. I have it and the game sounds run like a champ. 2 things that had to be done to make the sounds work were. 1. Ensure that you installed the upgrade (if it were an upgrade) to the root directory of your SPWAW directory. 2. When you are in game, ensure that fast artillery is off, this makes the artillery sounds work correctly and in many cases those could be the first sounds you expect to hear. Hope this helps.

(in reply to wbowley)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> No InGame Sound at all. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI