Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 2:42:54 AM   
Veldor

As someone who has played and quit many an MMO.. and hasn't played any in 16+ months now..

Having been somewhat annoyed at times with the people in some of the games, the guilds the groups etc..

And believing, at least partially, in the belief that we here are at least a tad bit smarter and more mature than others...

It just occurred to me.. Never ever having thought of this before...

Of all the other silly silly reasons and bases people use to put together MMO groups/guilds/etc.

Is there or could there be an MMO group comprised of Wargamers or those at least interested in wargaming?

Why not? All other really good groups transcend any one particular MMO title anyway.

I know there are a lot who also play MMOs here. Are we all that socially regressed to only play as loners or have we just not thought of this before?

Any interest? Any existing similar Groups?

What MMOs do you play or want to?

I'm considering:
Stargate Worlds
Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning
Vanguard : Saga of Heroes (Reinvented Version)
Eve Online

Thoughts outside of "MMOs suck"?

Post #: 1
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 3:28:56 AM   
Erik Rutins

I occasionally login to City of Heroes when I need a break from strategy games. Tried the others, none were really my cup of tea, COH is the only one that ever managed to really grab me.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 2
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 3:30:58 AM   
GaryChildress

What is MMO?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 3:48:02 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

What is MMO?

Man, you are old.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 4
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 4:23:41 AM   
sabre1

+1 Gary, I'm right there with you...

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 5
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 5:27:02 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

Thoughts outside of "MMOs suck"?

No.

Have a nice day
-

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 6
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 5:51:28 AM   
Joram

CoH was awesome.  Now that company is coming out with a new one too but forget the name.  I'm sure many a wargamer was attracted to WW2Online.  I'm sure you can find whole groups of them there.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 7
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 7:25:04 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

What is MMO?

Stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Game (ie. Most famous ones being Everquest & Worlds of Warcraft).

Many are among the most complicated games ever made so they can often have appeal to Strategy/Wargame enthusiasts.

Some are more mindless like Worlds of Warcraft though (But it made MMO's mainstream).

And most can be played, at least to some level, by a casual gamer with relative ease (Unlike most wargames).

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 8
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 8:04:42 AM   
Fred98

In one game MMP there was a case where one clan was battling another clan.

Over some time some of the members of one clan became real life friends.

Then one of them died.

The friend decided to hold an on-line service.

The clan got together on-line and held a service within in the game!

The other clan came along, ambushed them and wiped them out.

It was posted as a video somewhere.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 9
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 8:06:49 AM   
Marc von Martial

I wish I had the freetime left for it. Would love to give Warhammer a try.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 10
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 8:17:57 AM   
Hertston

I think you would need to pick a game where time logged in game isn't a barrier to who participates in what. What I mean by that is that unless your clan/guild is huge (and this one wouldn't be) differences in 'experience' mean you never end up playing together beyond the first couple of weeks, which rather defeats the point. Some just have much more time to devote to such games than others. Eve might be OK (never played it) as I think you continue to accrue XP even when offline?

Because of that, something like WW2OL or Planetside (if that is still going?), would be a better choice, maybe.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 11
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 12:44:53 PM   
Terl

@ Veldor: Do a trial for EVE before you buy it. I found it interesting at first but it quickly becomes very tedious. Ultimately I never bought it because it was just plain boring. It is beautiful but definitely boring.

I bought Vanguard when it first came out. It sucked. I waited until last month and tried it again. It still was horrible. I found it lagged horribly (still) and the community is not all that welcoming. Even my sons quit after a couple months and went back to their old games (EQ2). I have no idea what you mean by "reinvented version". Did the allegedly fix it? Ditching Sony would be a good start.

I am looking forward to Warhammer though

< Message edited by Terl -- 7/17/2008 12:48:49 PM >

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 12
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 12:59:56 PM   
105mm Howitzer

I'm still going strong in WOW, playing the Horde. Avoid Vanguard, in either form, definitely not worth the time oy dinhero. Warhammer seems to be a solid winner, and there are rumors of a Starcraft Online and Star Trek online supposedly for 2009.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 13
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 1:15:16 PM   
Moster

Played Planetside from the beginning. A massive battle in Planetside is still the most fun to be had in any MMO. I occasionally play WOW, COH, EO and LOTRO.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 14
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 1:18:53 PM   
HansBolter

As someone who went from addicted to "tired of the genre" and walked away from MMORPGs about two years agao I can relate to the OP.

After falling in love withe the Ultima series of RPGs in the early 90s, I jumped on the bandwagon with both feet when the granddaddy of the genre hit the internet, Ultima Online. I stayed in UO for 4 years. In that game a friend of mine in the military and I developed a system for political intrigue and occupancy of political districts based on the established Guild Houses of the major role playing oriented guilds. We basically put in place an organized wargame layered over the base RPG to give some purpose to the otherwise mindless fights.

After that labor bore fruit, both of us tired of the UO world and jumped ship to the Dark Age of Camelot, which was all about team warfare pitting three realms against each other which included sieging castles in a wild frontierland. I spent 3.5 years addicted to DAOC building up one of the largest guilds in the game consisting of over 350 members.

When things finally got old in DAOC, most of my guild moved over to World of Warcraft. I tried it for a while, as well as Everquest 2, but the genre had lost it's luster for me and I gravitated back to spending most of my game time on wargames.

A guild of wargamers in an MMO is an interseting idea. You just may have a hard time finding enough wargmaers in any given MMO to from a viable guild.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 7/17/2008 1:19:18 PM >

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 15
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 5:42:56 PM   
Challerain

I also started with UO many years and have been in WOW since launch. A group of guys who hang out over at Consimworld tried to get something going around Christmas but it never really took off. I do still play with one of the owners of MMP though (no, not Curt Schilling).

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 16
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 5:57:19 PM   
Greybriar

I briefly played Meridian 59, Ultima Online, and Dark Age of Camelot; was a beta tester for Asheron's Call. Then I played EverQuest for six years. I tried out Shadowbane and didn't care for it. My currently active subscriptions include World of Warcraft (which I will cancel at the end of this billing cycle) and Lord of the Rings Online (which I have a lifetime subscription for).

Lately I haven't been interested in playing any MMORPGs and have been spending my time playing single player PC games.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 17
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 6:08:57 PM   
hadberz

I play casually play Eve Online. I recommend you give Eve a try. There really is no other game like it, at least that I know about.

I also play Ultima Online, been playing since 2000 off and on. It's a fun game when they have events, which has been alot lately.

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 18
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 6:29:54 PM   
Zakhal

I have played (and never will again)
-zombiemud (ascii mmog) 1,5 years
-batmud (ascii mmog) 3 weeks
-ultima online 6 months
-shadowbane 2 weeks
-ww2ol 6 years
-wow 3 weeks
-eve 1 week

Playing now
-guild wars 2 months

Going to play & what I allready own
-Lotr CE I like the story aspect
-Hellgate CE I like the fps style shooting
-Tabula Rasa CE I like shooting and its RG game
-Age of Conan CE this is my favorite by all means

Going to buy in future
-Guild wars 2 CE first GW is so good that this one is a must buy

I bought the 1000 page centenary edition of conan (leather bound ~20€) that includes all the novels. Gonna read that before starting the game. Im still waiting it to be patched into better state though.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 7/17/2008 6:34:53 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 19
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 6:44:25 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

Is there or could there be an MMO group comprised of Wargamers or those at least interested in wargaming?

You could start from MMO type wargames

quote:

What MMOs do you play or want to?

MekWars
It's MMO wargame based on BattleTech, open source, free, and there are many servers with different configurations (from Star League civil war up to Word of Blake Jihad). What's best, all players (most at least) are wargamers
Would you like to know more?

I've read something about mod for IL-2 Sturmovik, which effectively turns game into MMO type simulation, like legendary Air Warrior and Warbirds (does the 2 ring any bells?). I'd love to try it out, but I don't have anything of IL-2 nor up-to-date controllers (USB ones) in reliable working order. Those cost money, and right now I'm more interested buying some more BattleTech stuff and comics (never grew out of them). And BTW, that article had AAR about cargo plane turkey shoot: VERY interesting. If you have game and flight sim controllers in working order, try find the mod.

What else... C&C Renegade ... does it count?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 20
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/17/2008 7:57:29 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Did all the flight sim MMO's from AW through WWIIOL. WWIIOL had the most potential but the devs were/are clueless WRT making it something like a wargame. I got fed up with being spawn camped by millions of tanks and planes. I don't think I'll ever go back.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 21
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/18/2008 1:01:31 AM   
Veldor

Some comments:

Ultima Online
The longest I ever played an MMO. I was an early beta tester and played through the first half-decade at least. I could write pages upon pages on what was right about it and why so many other MMO's to follow went wrong but I'll just leave it at there was no better or purer MMO experience than the early days of UO when all the modern problems like griefers and gold-farming weren't even invented yet.

Eve Online
Was a beta Tester for this game too. Pretty much have beta tested them all due to my UO experience until I lost interest in MMO's early last year. I don't like the fealing of not knowing what to do in a game and this is the primary reason why I never much got into this one and didnt end up playing after launch. To much open empty space at first. I've heard enough good things about it now that I thought perhaps to reconsider but not likely really as I tend to just go with new games usually.

EverQuest 2
This is also a guild comment. I played this a long time and the guild I inherited was a family oriented guild where people of all levels just helped each other understand all the complexities of the game and we used lower level alternate characters to adventure together when otherwise not possible. Some played a lot, others not so much. It works fine for non-diehard players.

Vanguard
One of the few MMO's I played where I wasn't in beta but I went as far as to buy a new high end PC just to play it. It's actually a nice game if your system can support it. But the problem was and I guess still is... almost nobody's can. The Diplomacy system is kind of neat but why I really dig it is because I have so much in common with the core designers in terms of my thoughts towards MMO design. Most of it stems back to UO and its as if they listened to every one of my comments (Which I never made since I wasn't in beta). For starters I hated instancing in EQ2. What point is there is having a house when no one will ever visit it for any real reason? In UO we use to hang out at someones house/castle just because it was near somewhere we were going/headed etc. The same concept was used for Vanguard to put houses and the whole world in a single instance. Many more things but you get the point. I do also see how they screwed it all up but really Age of Conan made the same mistake even bigger though (Total lack of content at launch/unfinished game). They are ridiculously expensive games to make and I'm sorry that Sigil had to ultimately sell out to Sony after not being able to pay the bills (This after buying themselves from Microsoft!). I've been hoping its all better now after the recent massive upgrades... I've logged in since its free to play this month.. Haven't played much though. It does have one of the largest resubscription rates of any MMO in history besides UO so that must mean something good? But how many will stick around this time??

Other MMO's Played
I've tried lots but the ones I played most aside from the above were Asheron's Call and Star Wars Galaxies (Early Days before the jedi)

Future MMO's
Warhammer Online is out soonest so I will at least try it. Maybe if anyone here is interested the first person can at least post what server they've joined so we at least have the option to group even if not the extreme of forming a guild together. This game is from the DaOC people which is regarded very highly in the MMO Community and has non-grinding based systems for crafting etc. so basically most people are thinking this is the big one to kill all other MMO's. Considering its the longest a MMO has ever been in production (Especially if you count the original effort that was scrapped)... I think it's at least worth a try.
It also has 25 years worth of paper content in which to be based upon.

Stargate Worlds will be something different from all the fantasy RPG types and also looks to have some nice unique approaches. It won't be out until 2009 though so its not going to satisfy any MMO hunger anytime soon.. even beta-wise.

............Good to see I was right and there are a fair number of MMO players here, now if we could all just play the same one this would work

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 22
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/18/2008 4:25:56 AM   
Moster

Anybody ever try Navyfield?

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 23
RE: Warhammer Online - 7/19/2008 12:31:34 AM   
Veldor

Apparantly the world is sold out on pre-orders for the collector's edition of Warhammer Online. I almost bought it the other day but figured I'd wait to see if I could at least try it first in open beta or earlier if I even get accepted.

I do appreciate ultra high quality game materials and you can't beat that Signature Warhammer look that even D&D envies.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 24
RE: Warhammer Online - 7/19/2008 5:42:02 AM   
panzers

great post veldor. I try not to get too involved with all that. I like to have asversity in my gameplaying. With that being said, I stick to one MMO because they really hit you hard in the pocketbook if you're not careful I know people who play something like 5 different mmo's and you have to scratch your head and say, why? I know your not playing them all, and wasting all your money on something your not even playing. But anyway, the game I play is WOW and I am a level 65 mage and I am looking for a guild. I see that there are a few of you that do play it. I am not in a guild because of the child like behavior that goes on in there. I think that would be a terrific idea if there are enough world of warcrackers out there that would be intersted in a matrix style wargammers guild within an MMO. I think that is a brilliant idea. If for nothing else, I could have an intelligent conversation in there and talk about something other than chuck norris and murloc jokes. I need a jump start in my IQ level in there, so a guild with us wargammers there would be a sight for sore eyes for me

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 25
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/19/2008 8:08:22 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moster

Anybody ever try Navyfield?

Yup, but having to pay extra if you wanted the better ships, and if you wanted to improve your crew was a turnoff.

Played;
-Swg this one was a great game untill SOE killed it
-WoW, simple but playable. Fun due to the fact that all my IRL mates played as well.
-Runescape, well it is free....
-WW2online, never seemed to find anyone to kill, ended up runnning all over Europe and nothing else.
-AoC, might still be a good one, but still seems unfinished to me. Will go back later to see if it becomes what it has potential to be
-EVE, never got into that one, and never got to like it
-LOTRO, a game I played inbetween WoW and AoC to pass time. Ok, nothing more
-Navyfield, see above.

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 26
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/19/2008 2:17:41 PM   
Sarganto

Played UO for at least half a year at the official servers and one more year at freeshards. Still like the player-driven economy.
Then played DaoC as a Beta-Tester, but didn't buy it after the launch.
Started playing WoW 2 times, for half a year and still have a gametimecard in my shelf, saving it for a month, when I REALLY don't know what to do with my time. Also have the 10 days test-time for Burning Crusade in my shelf. But I always think, that it is much harder to join a game, when it has gone this far. You will always feel like a newbie, when they throw abbrevations at you and you don't understand anything.

Besides that, I played Diablo 2 for a long time, as I would also consider that as a sort of MMO. I am about to reinstall it, because Diablo 3 got me excited again.

empty signature fanboy

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 27
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/19/2008 8:53:14 PM   
Zakhal

My current beef with MMOs is that wow has monopolized the market:

I tried to like wow (eq grinding, etc) but i failed. Even the quests seem bland and monotonous. I didnt find any story from them (i.e in comparsion to guild wars). Im forced to be a niche player in mmo market.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 7/19/2008 8:59:26 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 28
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/19/2008 10:26:15 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Sorry Zarhal, must be in total disagreement. AS a MMO who tried both GW and WOW, I gotta say WOW takes GW out to left field. Your graph shows it, most of the other MMO's all suffer from one basic flaw: linear adventuring. Gotta do quest 1 to access Quest 2, and so on, plus there's only one way to get to Quest 1, forget using alternate routes cause it won't allow you to travel overland, etc... Plus add the basic lack of weapons, armors, and other options, and voila, you got served by WOW.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 29
RE: MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? - 7/19/2008 11:37:11 PM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

My current beef with MMOs is that wow has monopolized the market:

I tried to like wow (eq grinding, etc) but i failed. Even the quests seem bland and monotonous. I didnt find any story from them (i.e in comparsion to guild wars). Im forced to be a niche player in mmo market.

hey, runescape seems to be making a push, lol
Seriously, having really only have played WOW, is there really anything better than that one, with the expansions they are coming out with now? That is a serious question

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> MMO Group of Wargamers who also play MMOs? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI