Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rumour mill

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Rumour mill Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rumour mill - 7/6/2008 7:00:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*************Office of Adm. Somerville, CIC, Eastern Fleet, Colombo, Ceylon, 12:20, January 30, 1943**********

Adm. Somerville: <intercom rings and Adm. Somerville depresses the button without looking up> Yes?

Intercom Voice: Sir, message from Captain Eccles of Indomitable. He says he wants first dibs on the new Corsairs.

Adm. Somerville:Corsairs? Is he kidding?

Intercom Voice: Hard to say sir as it is a telegram and lacks most of the customary visual and verbal cues we human beings often use to discern the true meaning of a speaker.

Adm. Somerville: Ah, yes, I see. What about Corsairs? Have we any?

Intercom Voice: Not to my knowledge, sir.

Adm. Somerville: Well, then find out. Ask what's his name. The logistics chap.

Intercom Voice: Ah, yes sir. Do you mean Adm. Phillips?

Adm. Somerville: YES! That's him. Find out what he is doing.

Intercom Voice: I believe he is securing curry for Operation You Know What.

Adm. Somerville: Did you say curry?

Intercom Voice: Yes sir.

Adm. Somerville: The yellow stuff I forbade the chef to put on my mutton?

Intercom Voice: Yes sir, the very same.

Adm. Somerville: Hmmm. Well, have him call me as soon as he returns and tell Eccles the cupboard is bare.

Intercom Voice: Yes sir. Cupboard is bare sir.

Adm. Somerville: Very well, see to it. <releases intercom button> Bloody crazy way to run a war................

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/6/2008 7:10:56 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2431
RE: Rumour mill - 7/6/2008 8:04:07 PM   
BrucePowers

And I thought these guys had deep thoughts......

Post #: 2432
Can we still be freinds? - 7/6/2008 11:14:13 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Wait, do you mean Tabpub and me or the Royal Navy?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 2433
RE: Can we still be freinds? - 7/7/2008 2:06:44 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Wait, do you mean Tabpub and me or the Royal Navy?

Actually, the Royal Navy.

< Message edited by BrucePowers -- 7/7/2008 2:07:58 AM >

Post #: 2434
RE: Motto Grotto - 7/7/2008 5:45:41 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

"Mandrake: Ok, now about some Corsairs for SEAC.....

Tabpub: oh, brother....not this again...."

He can always strip the RN carriers of their Corsairs.

Corsairs? CORSAIRS? Why don't you guys tell me these things? Operation You Know What is under way and I am still flying those crappy Fulmars? Holy Heck! Are you guys rooting for the Japs?

Uhhh... my powers of observation are failing me... I see that your date is Jan '43 and there are no RN Corsairs as of yet. Shouldn't you be using Martlets and Seafires by now instead of Fulmars?

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 2435
RE: Motto Grotto - 7/7/2008 6:15:43 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

quote:

"Mandrake: Ok, now about some Corsairs for SEAC.....

Tabpub: oh, brother....not this again...."

He can always strip the RN carriers of their Corsairs.

Corsairs? CORSAIRS? Why don't you guys tell me these things? Operation You Know What is under way and I am still flying those crappy Fulmars? Holy Heck! Are you guys rooting for the Japs?

Uhhh... my powers of observation are failing me... I see that your date is Jan '43 and there are no RN Corsairs as of yet. Shouldn't you be using Martlets and Seafires by now instead of Fulmars?

Oops. Yes, you are right. I converted to Seafires. I have a good inventory of Seafires and 65 RN Wildcats. Should I convert some to the Wildcat V? The Seafire seems marginally superior.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 2436
RE: Motto Grotto - 7/7/2008 6:36:22 AM   
bradfordkay

I'm playing CHS 2.08 and have reached 5 July, '43. I tend to choose the historical upgrades for each squadron unless necessity dictates otherwise. That being said, some squadrons get Martlets which upgrade to Hellcat IIs - while other squadrons follow the Seafire/Corsair upgrade path. One of my carriers has Wildcat VIs, which do have a better range than the Seafire I/II that is the only carrier borne Spit available so far.

If you're only using the RN carriers for point defense, then the Seafires are better than Martlets or Wildcats, but if you want to torpedo enemy ships you'll need the Grummans for their range. That's my take on it.

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 2437
RE: Motto Grotto - 7/7/2008 9:26:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

I'm playing CHS 2.08 and have reached 5 July, '43. I tend to choose the historical upgrades for each squadron unless necessity dictates otherwise. That being said, some squadrons get Martlets which upgrade to Hellcat IIs - while other squadrons follow the Seafire/Corsair upgrade path. One of my carriers has Wildcat VIs, which do have a better range than the Seafire I/II that is the only carrier borne Spit available so far.

If you're only using the RN carriers for point defense, then the Seafires are better than Martlets or Wildcats, but if you want to torpedo enemy ships you'll need the Grummans for their range. That's my take on it.

You know, in stock, the range of the Seafire is 4 hexes, same as the Wildcat. It has to a mistake.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 2438
Why we fight - 7/8/2008 7:22:53 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********M&M Enterprises, Regional Offices, Derby, 16:20, January 30, 1943*********

<A veranda framed by bouganville overlooks the harbor. A young man in a floral shirt sips a mint julep (with real mint, of course), his feet on the koa wood railing imported from Hawaii. A voice calls out from inside>

Voice inside: Mister M, it's some guy with an English accent on the super-heterodyne. He wants to know about Corsairs or something.

M.M: Corsairs? Hmmm. I'll take it out here. <flips a switch on the unit on the veranda, an orange glow illuminates the plaster. The young man puts on headphones> Good afternoon, M&M Weapons Services Division, ho may I help you..over.

<pause>

Ah, wonderful to hear from you sir. How are things in the Bay of Bengal..over

<pauses>

Splendid!..over

<pauses>

Ah, very well then, let me just say excellent. You inquired about the Corsair, a fine plane..over

<pauses>

I wish I could sir but my first allotment is promised to the Ecuadorians..over

<pauses>

Yes, that's it, the one in South America. It seems there is quite the arms race between the Ecuadorians and Peruvians...over

<pauses>

Yes sir, it does sometimes seem the world has gone mad, but Mr. Henry Ford has just built another 1000 yd long tank factory and I have it from reliable sources that the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company isn't doing too badly either. Think of all the jobs. And who are we to question the patriotism of the Ecuadorians and Peruvians..over

<pauses>

Yes sir, I suspect the Ecuadorians might be willing to forgo the first shipment, but they are sure to want some type of compensation...over

<pauses>

Well sir, I can't really speak for them, but I suspect it would be in the neighborhood of 40 to 50 K above sticker price...over

<pauses>

Yes, sir "K" means "thousand"...over

<pauses>

Yes sir, US dollars but I am sure they would take gold too....over

<pauses>

Yes sir, I understand. Perhaps you would be interested in a certified pre-owned model. I have 3 dozen carrier capable fighters with workhorse radial engines and great range...over

<pauses>

They are the historic blue and white with original paint but will paint to order..........

Post #: 2439
RE: Why we fight - 7/8/2008 8:21:30 PM   
rtrapasso

Someone is about to unload a bunch of Buffalos...

Post #: 2440
RE: Why we fight - 7/9/2008 1:16:08 AM   
BrucePowers

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2441
RE: Rumour mill - 7/9/2008 5:24:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**********Rail terminus, Kohima, India, February 1, 1943*************

The bulk of the communciation gear of SEAC is being offloaded from a boxcar to lorries. The entire HQ is relocating to Imphal in preparation for Operation You Know What.. A distinguished-looking looking gentleman in a Royal Navy Admiral's uniform approaches a crew of soldiers laboring to unload the quipment.

A distinguished-looking looking gentleman in a Royal Navy Admiral's uniform: I say there sargeant, can you tell me where I might find the command car?

Sargeant: <salutes sharply> Yes sir, last car in the train. It's that way, sir.

A distinguished-looking looking gentleman in a Royal Navy Admiral's uniform: Thank you , sargeant. <returns the salute, turns and walks away>

Sargeant: Bloody Hell! Did you see that? I believe that was Lord Louis Mountbottom.

Private: Phht...go on...."mountbottom"....hahaha..good one sarge....

Post #: 2442
Curry for Surabaya - 7/13/2008 10:15:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**********Eastern Fleet HQ, Colombo, Ceylon, February 2, 1943*********

<Operation You Know What Liason Group>

Sentry 1: You know, I've been thinking. Are we really being energetic enough? What about going for the lifeblood of the little yellow bastards?

Sentry 2: Sake, you mean?

Sentry 1: No, but something equally flammable.

Adm. Phillips: Hello? Oil is it then?

Sentry 1: Yes sir. And where do they get the lion's share of their oil?

Sentry 2: Sumatra?

Sentry 1: Bingo! Palembang to be precise. <he motions the others to come near the map of the DEI>

Adm. Phillips: But surely the little yellow bastards will have thought of their vulnerability at Palembang.

Sentry 1: Oh, indeed sir. I imagine a full division in garrison..and heavily fortified as well. Oh, and please stop calling me Shirley.

Adm. Phillips:But..I...didn't...

Sentry 2: Ah, don't fret it sir. I've called 'im worse meself.

Adm. Phillips: Splendid...oh blast..I mean superb! Shall we push on then? I'm afraid the Royal Navy will not be too keen on hazarding the Malacca Straight with the little yellow bastards at Singapore.

Sentry 1: Indeed they won't, which is why I would recommend Java, either Surabaya or something on the Indian Ocean coast, then we push North, seizing airfields until we can deny them air superiority over Palembang.

Sentry 2: Yes, go on.

Sentry 1: Right, we will need some advance intel.

Adm. Phillips: But we haven't any bases within reach.

Sentry 2: What about Nicobar?

Adm. Phillips: Nicobar, where is that?

Sentry 2: Right 'ere sir. <points to map..the others approach>

Adm. Phillips: Are you sure that isn't a fly spec?

Sentry 2: Oh quite, sir. It's quite lovely I hear. I am sure we could talk some of the Dutch boys into flying in to operate Coronados from there.

Adm. Phillips: I think you are onto something. Let me see, we'll need 250 mosquito netting kits, 3 months of quinine, 300 lbs of phosphate-free laundry detergent.......

Post #: 2443
Situation Burma - 7/13/2008 11:15:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

1) The Japs control the Burma Road from the SE bank of the Irrawaddy near Myitkyina to the West bank of the Red River at Yunan. NCAC readies an attack against 3 Japanese divisions across the Red River. As all of the Japanese transport aircraft have apparently evacuated Burma, the Japs must be in poor supply status at this time

2) British Burma Corps, comprised of 2 brigades of 14th Indian Division, 2nd Burma Rifles and 2 demoralized Chinese divisions guard Myitkyina. A further Indian brigade and one Chindit brigade are heading down from Ledo.

3) Indian IV Corps, comprised of two Indian Brigades, two Chindit Brigades and one colonial brigade confront 52,000 isolated Japanese troops (about 2 1/2 divisions).

4) Indian III Corps has cut the supply line to Jap troops near Myitkyina. They confront 60,000 enemy troops in likely good supply (2 1/2 divisions and nearly 500 tanks). The Corps is comprised of 2nd British Div, 2 Indian brigades, a light Armoured Regt. 7th Armoured promises to arrive in 2 days...this time they really mean it. RAF and USAAF mediums have been hammering the Japs here daily, causing 400-700 casualties a day. When 7th Armoured finally arrives, it may be possible to drive on Mandalay

5) Mandalay garrison is at least 60,000 with 400 tanks. The airfield is empty save for a few recon aircraft.

6) SEAC redeploying to Imphal to improve supply along the rail line.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/13/2008 11:36:58 PM >

Post #: 2444
RE: Situation Burma - 7/14/2008 12:15:03 PM   
Alfred

After your recent victory at Perth, shouldn't you have a subtantial number of Allied troops available to push up to Soerabaja from the Australian Kimberleys.  That would make Adm Phillips happy as he could then bypass the Malacca Strait and Singapore.  One of the Sumbwa islands might be better than Nicobar and less obvious regarding the direction of your axis of advance.

Alfred 

Post #: 2445
RE: Situation Burma - 7/14/2008 3:30:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

After your recent victory at Perth, shouldn't you have a subtantial number of Allied troops available to push up to Soerabaja from the Australian Kimberleys.  That would make Adm Phillips happy as he could then bypass the Malacca Strait and Singapore.  One of the Sumbwa islands might be better than Nicobar and less obvious regarding the direction of your axis of advance.

Alfred 

Yes, one US Div., 3 Aus. Div., 6 Inf Brig., 3 Armoured Regts and 3 Artillery Regts, a very serious force. The infantry units are all at 96-99 experience but the 3 Aus Div are still flagged under Blamey and they were all prepped for Perth.

I have been moving transport capacity toward Darwin but there is not enough for the entire force. Much of it was purloined for use by SEAC.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 2446
Inspirational Speaker - 7/14/2008 9:43:02 PM   
Cap Mandrake

W.C. never really was happy with Gen Pownall so they cast about and found "Lord Louis" Mountbatten bereft of a destroyer...et voila...a couple of jumps in a Lancaster and here he is in India. He has about the same land warfare rating as Pownall (apparently he learned something after Dieppe ), but he is reputed to be quite the inspirational speaker.

********Catholic Cathedral, Kohima, India, Feb. 3, 1943************

<Adm. Mountbatten addresses the assembled officers and men of SEAC HQ in the only building of suitable size. The audience appears mesmerized>

......I am well aware that it must seem that conflict in Burma appears to be interminable and that there are many dark days, but my hope is that I might humbly ask you all to perservere, indeed to ERADICATE the little yellow bastards!

<the Cathedral erupts with shouts of "Huzzah". The Admiral beams. When the cheer dies down he continues>

I hope you will permit me a personal remembrance. <the small number of women in the audience are near swooning..as are about 10% of the men>

1917 was a very dark year for my family but there never was a single uttered word about giving up. I know I never even thought about it and I am quite sure neither did my father, even though he suffered terribly. There was quite an anti-German sentiment about at the time. <general harrumpf of disapproval from the audience>

Yes, yes, I know. It seems hard to believe, but the loyalty of my father to His Majesty was in question. <more harrumphing>

Indeed, intolerance is an ugly thing, but war does that to people. To paraphrase General Sherman, it is best to "get it over with". I hope you will forgive me the preposition at the end of the sentence but I was trying to be colloquial. <uproarious laughter even though about 1/2 of those attending have no idea of which he speaks>

But you ask what did my father do for Britain? What did I do for Britain? I will tell you. My father resigned his position as First Sea Lord and I....Serene Highness Prince Louis of Battenberg....iI, n my serenity...I revoked the use of my title and we changed our family name to Mountbatten! <he crosses his arms in a Mussoliniesque pose and the Cathedral erupts with wild applause at this extraordianry sacrifice. Dozens of caps fly into the air. It is quite wild, really, I'm not kidding. You should have been there. I saw grown men crying. Men and women surged toward the pulpit. They were like seriously stoked. Majorly stoked. It was like a Grateful Dead concert without the pot smoke and with better dressed fans. Well...there weren't any beards either.....and a lot of them were shouting geeky stuff like "Huzza!", whatever the Hell that means............>

Post #: 2447
Red River Campaign - 7/15/2008 5:49:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*****************Dawn, February 2, 1943, Yunan Province, China**************

Gen Stilwell, CIC, NCAC, surveys a steeply incised river valley. On the opposite bank is the Imperial Japanese Army, two divisions worth. After months of planning and careful husbanding of supplies, today is the day his command will attempt to seize a bridgehead and begin the long battle to take back the Burma Road. He turns to the translator next to him.

Gen. Stillwell: Hop Sing, please tell Gen. Li that this looks a propitious day for our attack.

Hop Sing: He no General Li.

Gen. Stillwell: Sure he is.

Hop Sing: No, he General Liu.

Gen. Stillwell: Well he looks like General Li.

Hop Sing: Yes, all General look same. All green.

Gen. Stillwell: Hmm..where is General Li?

Hop Sing: He go back Kunming for daughter quincianero

Gen. Stillwell: Quincianero? I thought that was...ah, never mind. Please ask the General if he is prepared to cross the Red River today?

Hop Sing: <turns to Chinese General> ±ä¾Þ¡]¢°¢´¢´¡Ð¢±¢±¢¯¡^¡G§?

Gen. Liu: ¡^¡A¬°³O¦{ªª¡A¤À¤Æ¡B»¤­°«C¦{¶À¤y­xªº¤@³¡¤À¡A½s¬°¡§«C¦{§L¡¨¡C«Ø¦w¤¸¦~¡]¢°¢¸
¢µ¦~¡^¡AªïÄm«Ò³£³\¡]¤µªe«n³\©÷¡^¡C±q¦¹¥Î¨ä¦W¸qµo¸¹¬I¥O¡A¥ý«á«d¥­§f¥¬µ¥³Î¾Ú
¶Õ¤O¡C©x´ç¤§¾Ô¤j¯}ªe¥_³Î¾Ú¶Õ¤O°K²Ð¦Z¡A³vº¥²Î¤@¤F¤¤°ê¥_³¡¡C«Ø¦w¤Q¤T¦~¡A¶i¦ì
¬°¥à¬Û¡A²v­x«n¤U¡A³Q®]Åv©M¼B³ÆªºÁp­xÀ»±Ñ¤_¨ª¾À¡C«ÊÃQ¤ý¡C¤l±ä¥AºÙ«Ò¡A°l´L¬°
ªZ«Ò¡C¥L¦b¥_¤è¤Ù¥Ð¡A¿³­×¤ô§Q¡A¸Ñ¨M¤F­x³¯Ê¥Fªº°ÝÃD¡A¹ï¹A·~¥Í²£ªº«ì´_¦³¤@©w
§@¥Î¡Q¥Î¤H°ß¤~¡Aù­P¦a¥D¶¥¯Å¤¤¤U¼h¤Hª«¡A§í¨î»¨±j¡A¥[±j¶°Åv¡C©Ò²Îªvªº¦a°ÏªÀ
·|¸gÀÙ±o¨ì«ì´_©Mµo®i¡Cºë§Lªk¡AµÛ¡m®]¤l²¤¸Ñ¡n¡B¡m§L®Ñ±µ­n¡nµ¥®Ñ¡Cµ½¸Öºq¡A¡m
»U¨½¦æ¡n¡B¡mÆ[·É®ü¡nµ¥½g¡A§çµo¦Û¤vªº¬Fªv©ê­t¡A¦}¤Ï¬Mº~¥½¤H¥Áªº­WÃø¥Í¬¡¡A®ð
¾z¶¯°¶¡AºB´n´d²D¡C´²¤å¥ç²M®m¾ã¼ä¡CµÛ§@¦³¡mÃQªZ«Ò¶°¡n¡A¤w§H¡A¦³©ú¤H¿è¥»¡C¤µ
¦³¾ã²z±Æ¦L¥»¡m±ä¾Þ¶°¡n¡C¡]¡mÃã®ü¡n¢°¢¸¢·¢¸¦~ª©¡^

Hop Sing: He say no.

Gen. Stillwell: NO?! What does he mean no? WE are going to cross the Red River today. Tell him that.

Hop Sing: ¤W¶®¦n¸Ö®Ñ¤åÄy¡AÁö¦b­x®È¡A¤â¤£ÄÀ¨÷¡C¨C¨C©w¬Ù¡A±q®

Gen. Liu: <shakes his head to indicate "no">

Gen. Stillwell: <takes a step toward the Gen. , they are now nose to nose> Tell the General he will cross that river today or I will bring him up charges.

Hop Sing: AºB´n´d²D¡C´²¤å¥ç²M®m¾ã¼ä¡CµÛ§@¦³¡mÃQªZ«Ò¶°¡n¡A¤w§H¡A¦³©ú¤H¿è¥»¡C¤µ

Gen. Liu: ¾r¤»Às¡A­¼­ <nods affirmative and smiles>

Hop Sing: He say yes, bignose.

Gen. Stillwell: <smiles> Please tell the General he smells of onions and this afternoon we will both be standing on the Western bank of the Red River.

Hop Sing: ©^«ù¦æ¡AªF¨ì½´µÜ¤s¡A¤W¦Ü¤Ñ¤§ªù¡C

Gen. Liu: ÄÁÀ¯¡m¸Ö«~¡n¡^ <laughs>

Hop Sing: He say no. He say we stand on western bank of THIS river. This Lancang. He say you have crappy US Army map. He say you need Andrew Brown map from M&M Enterprises, Cartography Division. He say you have bean sprout in tooth................

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/15/2008 5:50:58 PM >

Post #: 2448
RE: Red River Campaign - 7/15/2008 5:54:54 PM   
rtrapasso

Post #: 2449
RE: Red River Campaign - 7/15/2008 9:20:44 PM   
BrucePowers

Wasn't Hop Sing in Bonanza back in Nevada in the 1860's and 70's. You know Virginia City.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2450
RE: Red River Campaign - 7/15/2008 9:21:49 PM   
BrucePowers

Now that John's other war is ending in a peace treaty, maybe this one will pick up

Post #: 2451
RE: Red River Campaign - 7/15/2008 9:59:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Wasn't Hop Sing in Bonanza back in Nevada in the 1860's and 70's. You know Virginia City.

This is grandson. It long story. Hop Sing Sr. have many story.

Here early color photograph. Little Joe catch Hop Sing Sr and Hoss in compromising position. Bonanza ranch have no womans. Town 3 days away.

Post #: 2452
RE: Red River Campaign - 7/16/2008 12:48:20 AM   
BrucePowers

Post #: 2453
RE: Red River Campaign - 7/16/2008 8:58:27 AM   
tabpub

server time is messed up I think.....this is not the time that I posted at.....

quote:

quote:

This is grandson. It long story. Hop Sing Sr. have many story.

Here early color photograph. Little Joe catch Hop Sing Sr and Hoss in compromising position. Bonanza ranch have no womans. Town 3 days away.

Hoss looks like a candidate for Kramer's Bro (tm)
Oh, and I want the 32nd Infantry Division back from it's excursion to Perth.
I'll trade you the "Fiji" Brigade, 25 Liberty ships full of supplies and an AR.....eh...eh...AR...tough to get....the Vestal is still a virgin in this universe.....

< Message edited by tabpub -- 7/16/2008 9:04:43 AM >

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

Post #: 2454
RE: Red River Campaign - 7/16/2008 12:10:23 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

server time is messed up I think.....this is not the time that I posted at.....

Yep - been messed up since the forum software "upgrade"...

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 2455
RE: Red River Campaign - 7/16/2008 12:16:22 PM   
rtrapasso

BTW - the time is set to a time zone that literally does not exist on the planet (GMT-14) - you run over the international date line before getting there...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2456
In the Mezar River Valley - 7/16/2008 3:57:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

7th Armoured (with special plaster of Paris reactive armour) finally arrives on the rail line. I doubt the Japs now have sufficient strength to relieve their troops further up the line. Once 7th Armoured have safely secured their fossils, perhaps they can go over to the attack. Meanwhile, the RAF and USAAF are going over to airfield suppression as Operation You Know What is in full swing.

This might actually work.

Positions of III Corps. This corresponds to number 4 on the above map. I found some cool 1952 US Army topo maps of Burma. Note that the Irrawaddy is navigable here (and I think all the way to Myitkyina) so the banks would have to be secured to prevent riverine evacuation or supply.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2457
RE: Red River Campaign - 7/16/2008 5:17:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub
Hoss looks like a candidate for Kramer's Bro (tm)

Hop Sing III say:

Yes, Hop Sing Sr good cook too. Cornbread with deer lard very popular at Ponderosa.

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 2458
RE: Red River Campaign - 7/16/2008 5:39:19 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

*****************Dawn, February 2, 1943, Yunan Province, China**************

Gen Stilwell, CIC, NCAC, surveys a steeply incised river valley. On the opposite bank is the Imperial Japanese Army, two divisions worth. After months of planning and careful husbanding of supplies, today is the day his command will attempt to seize a bridgehead and begin the long battle to take back the Burma Road. He turns to the translator next to him.

Gen. Stillwell: Hop Sing, please tell Gen. Li that this looks a propitious day for our attack.

Hop Sing: He no General Li.

Gen. Stillwell: Sure he is.

Hop Sing: No, he General Liu.

Gen. Stillwell: Well he looks like General Li.

Hop Sing: Yes, all General look same. All green.

Gen. Stillwell: Hmm..where is General Li?

Hop Sing: He go back Kunming for daughter quincianero

Gen. Stillwell: Quincianero? I thought that was...ah, never mind. Please ask the General if he is prepared to cross the Red River today?

Hop Sing: <turns to Chinese General> ±ä¾Þ¡]¢°¢´¢´¡Ð¢±¢±¢¯¡^¡G§?

Gen. Liu: ¡^¡A¬°³O¦{ªª¡A¤À¤Æ¡B»¤­°«C¦{¶À¤y­xªº¤@³¡¤À¡A½s¬°¡§«C¦{§L¡¨¡C«Ø¦w¤¸¦~¡]¢°¢¸
¢µ¦~¡^¡AªïÄm«Ò³£³\¡]¤µªe«n³\©÷¡^¡C±q¦¹¥Î¨ä¦W¸qµo¸¹¬I¥O¡A¥ý«á«d¥­§f¥¬µ¥³Î¾Ú
¶Õ¤O¡C©x´ç¤§¾Ô¤j¯}ªe¥_³Î¾Ú¶Õ¤O°K²Ð¦Z¡A³vº¥²Î¤@¤F¤¤°ê¥_³¡¡C«Ø¦w¤Q¤T¦~¡A¶i¦ì
¬°¥à¬Û¡A²v­x«n¤U¡A³Q®]Åv©M¼B³ÆªºÁp­xÀ»±Ñ¤_¨ª¾À¡C«ÊÃQ¤ý¡C¤l±ä¥AºÙ«Ò¡A°l´L¬°
ªZ«Ò¡C¥L¦b¥_¤è¤Ù¥Ð¡A¿³­×¤ô§Q¡A¸Ñ¨M¤F­x³¯Ê¥Fªº°ÝÃD¡A¹ï¹A·~¥Í²£ªº«ì´_¦³¤@©w
§@¥Î¡Q¥Î¤H°ß¤~¡Aù­P¦a¥D¶¥¯Å¤¤¤U¼h¤Hª«¡A§í¨î»¨±j¡A¥[±j¶°Åv¡C©Ò²Îªvªº¦a°ÏªÀ
·|¸gÀÙ±o¨ì«ì´_©Mµo®i¡Cºë§Lªk¡AµÛ¡m®]¤l²¤¸Ñ¡n¡B¡m§L®Ñ±µ­n¡nµ¥®Ñ¡Cµ½¸Öºq¡A¡m
»U¨½¦æ¡n¡B¡mÆ[·É®ü¡nµ¥½g¡A§çµo¦Û¤vªº¬Fªv©ê­t¡A¦}¤Ï¬Mº~¥½¤H¥Áªº­WÃø¥Í¬¡¡A®ð
¾z¶¯°¶¡AºB´n´d²D¡C´²¤å¥ç²M®m¾ã¼ä¡CµÛ§@¦³¡mÃQªZ«Ò¶°¡n¡A¤w§H¡A¦³©ú¤H¿è¥»¡C¤µ

Hop Sing: He say no.

Gen. Stillwell: NO?! What does he mean no? WE are going to cross the Red River today. Tell him that.

Hop Sing: ¤W¶®¦n¸Ö®Ñ¤åÄy¡AÁö¦b­x®È¡A¤â¤£ÄÀ¨÷¡C¨C¨C©w¬Ù¡A±q®

Gen. Liu: <shakes his head to indicate "no">

Gen. Stillwell: <takes a step toward the Gen. , they are now nose to nose> Tell the General he will cross that river today or I will bring him up charges.

Hop Sing: AºB´n´d²D¡C´²¤å¥ç²M®m¾ã¼ä¡CµÛ§@¦³¡mÃQªZ«Ò¶°¡n¡A¤w§H¡A¦³©ú¤H¿è¥»¡C¤µ

Gen. Liu: ¾r¤»Às¡A­¼­ <nods affirmative and smiles>

Hop Sing: He say yes, bignose.

Gen. Stillwell: <smiles> Please tell the General he smells of onions and this afternoon we will both be standing on the Western bank of the Red River.

Hop Sing: ©^«ù¦æ¡AªF¨ì½´µÜ¤s¡A¤W¦Ü¤Ñ¤§ªù¡C

Gen. Liu: ÄÁÀ¯¡m¸Ö«~¡n¡^ <laughs>

Hop Sing: He say no. He say we stand on western bank of THIS river. This Lancang. He say you have crappy US Army map. He say you need Andrew Brown map from M&M Enterprises, Cartography Division. He say you have bean sprout in tooth................

There are so many "WitP inside jokes" buried in here that I can't count them all.

Finest kind, Mandrake, finest kind!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 2459
Sabang Prologue - 7/18/2008 6:51:36 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2460
Page:   <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Rumour mill Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI