Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Forge of Freedom Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forge of Freedom Questions - 7/16/2008 12:06:40 AM   
JeanUSARMYGUARD

Im Posting these questions here since this forum recieves the most responses and I need a quick resolution to my conflict.

Im currently playing Forge of Freedom and I am experiencing a few problems

1. I currently have a 50,000 Man army with 5 or so divisions, and no Corp's. During tactical engagements I constantly have brigades that misunderstand their order and march to a different hex. How can I resolve the misundertanding of movement orders. Does including a Corps decrease such a error, or does it depend on Morale?

2. During tactical engagements... I mainly have a superior force, however after long volley duels... my units start to break, rout then retreat. Once one routs the others soon follow. The enemy which suffers more losses during the battle holds their ground and have yet to retreat. How do I have my army hold their ground and seize the day?

3. What is the most efficient way of producing units? Do you mainly produce them, muster them, conscript them, or draft them?

Also what are the negative & positive effects of Mustering, Conscript, & Drafting?

Post #: 1
RE: Forge of Freedom Questions - 7/16/2008 8:40:39 AM   
Greybriar

You know, the other Forge of Freedom thread you started in the General Discussion sub forum only has five replies in it so far. So I am wondering why you are starting this one, particularly when there is an entire set of subforums devoted to Forge of Freedom?

If the forums dedicated to Forge of Freedom aren't active enough, it doesn't make any sense to me for anyone to start discussions about Forge of Freedom in the General Discussion forum instead. That would only make the Forge of Freedom forums that much less active, or so it seems to me.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to JeanUSARMYGUARD)
Post #: 2
RE: Forge of Freedom Questions - 7/16/2008 8:44:52 AM   
Gil R.

I deny this accusation that the FOF forum might not be active. There is a steady stream of visitors throughout the day. We simply communicate through telepathy.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 3
RE: Forge of Freedom Questions - 7/16/2008 9:40:04 AM   
marcbarker

You see i am part of the Gray Ghost Division, We ride by night, slither and hode during the day, attack when least expect us. We ask some of the most redundant questions but we stick to the ROE in the forums. To answer your question on the Corps. Make sure you you have a corps with appropriate leaders in the appropriate division. If you have a horse leader with sharpshooters do you want him in a defnese of the city type battle? Look at the leaders and the attributes, their command rating, what they can offer your troops. On conscript I look at the political rating of the governer, if they are in favor there is a less chance of them breaking. but when conscripting make sure you have the preliminary training facilities and armory to establish quality troops. I hope this helps.

" Hit em Hard boys, then Hit em Low, ahhh Hell just hit em and Chargeeeeeee!"

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Forge of Freedom Questions - 7/16/2008 2:57:21 PM   
Ironclad

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeanUSARMYGUARD

Im Posting these questions here since this forum recieves the most responses and I need a quick resolution to my conflict.

1. I currently have a 50,000 Man army with 5 or so divisions, and no Corp's. During tactical engagements I constantly have brigades that misunderstand their order and march to a different hex. How can I resolve the misundertanding of movement orders. Does including a Corps decrease such a error, or does it depend on Morale?

It is a design feature to replicate the frequent misunderstandings, that occurred in ACW actions and can impact any units, whether or not in a corps. It is less likely to happen if the unit's destination is or close to a named feature on the battlefield.

2. During tactical engagements... I mainly have a superior force, however after long volley duels... my units start to break, rout then retreat. Once one routs the others soon follow. The enemy which suffers more losses during the battle holds their ground and have yet to retreat. How do I have my army hold their ground and seize the day?

Will to Fight determines who will eventually prevail in detailed battles - this is shown at the top of the screen. Hover your cursor over the numbers for the attacker and defender and you will get a breakdown of the factors taken into account. In the course of the action casualties and other changes will determine whose number sinks low enough to trigger a defeat.

Quality (morale) is critical and initially the South has the advantage, also helped by their being more often on the defensive and so gaining a bonus for that too. The best way to improve quality is through battle experience, and this is awarded to the loser as well as victor. Lower quality units gain a bigger quality boost than very high quality units so over time the quality gap will narrow. (Other positive battle outcomes include occasional improvements in container staffs and points towards additional force upgrades.) Good leaders have the capacity to train up units and so increase their quality.

Fighting capacity can also be increased through better weapons, purchase of brigade attributes, award of special abilities, force upgrades and through having better leaders and container staffs. Staffs are improved through academies each year or occasionally by a higher container - army or corps and through battles. Purchased units will have a much higher starting quality than those mustered or conscripted.

3. What is the most efficient way of producing units? Do you mainly produce them, muster them, conscript them, or draft them?

Also what are the negative & positive effects of Mustering, Conscript, & Drafting?

Produced units are best but very costly; the CSA can rarely afford them but for the Union some particularly artillery are essential. Mustering is the most common, although it doesn't always succeed. Choosing a state where the Governor supports mustering means he doesn't suffer an attitude loss and the unit starts with an extra 500 troops plus slightly higher quality. Conscription (drafting) always works but the Governor suffers a bigger attitude loss, unless he supports it, and there is a risk of losing one of your developments - and a hit to national will if its a plantation or mansion. A conscripted unit has slightly lower starting quality.

Note that the level of national will affects the starting quality of mustered/conscripted units so as with share values they can go up or down. Recruitment of infantry/cavalry will reduce the population at each city concerned with a consequent reduction in resources production or any camp replacements from there.

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 7/16/2008 5:26:39 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Forge of Freedom Questions - 7/16/2008 6:01:39 PM   
terje439

quote:

How are your units equipped in comparison to the enemy? Does the enemy have alot of sharpshooters? What difficulty level?

quote:

As the South I will start the first turn by finding units located in cities and forts that I will not need unless I am losing the war (Georgia, Florida etc) and bring those units to the front. I tend to rename them to tell them apart. I will usually free up some 20 brigades this way. Although they start with a mere 2.0 morale, they will after a few battles perform quite well indeed (actually these brigades tend to be the INF brigades that has caused the most damage total at the end of the war).

The first 3-4 turns I will muster everywere the governor supports it (and there are still men to muster), this is merely done to fill my armies at a time when I cannot afford to build any brigades (all cash tends to go into arming my forces at this time).

After the initial 5-6 turns I will start building CAV brigades, and I will usually build 12 or so (although an entire CAV army under Stuart is mighty fun!!).

Arty I never build, I capture Union arty instead.

< Message edited by terje439 -- 7/16/2008 6:02:32 PM >

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 6
RE: Forge of Freedom Questions - 7/16/2008 9:25:06 PM   
morganbj

What terje439 said.  Exactly.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 7
RE: Forge of Freedom Questions - 7/16/2008 11:05:44 PM   
moose1999

I'll just add a bit to the other fine answers.

quote:

One thing that will help with units going out of command, I believe, is raising the stats of the containers (divisions) they are in. Divisions (and corps too) are rated for 'command' and 'logistics'. Having a good 'command' rating (preferably 'good' or above) will make it harder for units to go out of command.
I also find that my most elite units never go out of command, so morale might play a role too.

quote:

Quite normal for the Union in the beginning of the war, as has been said. You just won't be able to win any major battles in the first year as the Union. Make sure you buy upgrades and weapons for your units, put them in divisions/corps/armies with good training generals (sometimes even if their ratings stink) and try to pick small, relatively easy battles for them where they can get experience without getting their but kicked too badly (in other words, stay away from the ANV...!). Also, as the Union, units you buy have much higher morale than the units you start with or muster/draft.
Another good idea, as the North, is to buy lots of artillery units and give them good guns. The South won't be able to follow you in any kind of arms race (especially not if you run an effective blockade).

And lastly, have fun!

< Message edited by briny_norman -- 7/16/2008 11:06:09 PM >

regards,

Briny

Post #: 8
RE: Forge of Freedom Questions - 7/18/2008 11:49:55 PM   
JeanUSARMYGUARD

Thank you All for your responses... especially ironclad, terje, and briny norman.

Your responses helped me to whip old Bobby Lee and Stonewall. Lee in fact got wounded during one of the battles... thanks I believe to the old Springfield rifle.

I appreciate everyones responses. Thank you

< Message edited by JeanUSARMYGUARD -- 7/18/2008 11:50:23 PM >

Visit The Glorious Cause @ http://www.thegloriouscause.us

Camp Smith, US ARMY NATIONAL GUARD
Proud NRA Member

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 9
RE: Forge of Freedom Questions - 7/19/2008 8:23:17 AM   
terje439

quote:

Thank you All for your responses... especially ironclad, terje, and briny norman.

Your responses helped me to whip old Bobby Lee and Stonewall. Lee in fact got wounded during one of the battles... thanks I believe to the old Springfield rifle.

I appreciate everyones responses. Thank you

Hmm had I known that you were going to play as the agressors... hmmm

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI