Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

is west-civ working on a new game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> is west-civ working on a new game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/18/2008 6:44:09 PM   
jnpoint

I play FOF with great pleasure. With this great game-engine, there must come some more games - maybe a WW2 game? Does anyone know if West-civ is working on a new game? I mean FOF is some years old now.
Post #: 1
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/18/2008 7:14:24 PM   
Joram

Actually they are working on new version of Crown of Glory.  It will be a complete game, not an expansion.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 2
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/18/2008 11:38:25 PM   
BruceAZ

That is good news. I hope they add the detailed battle capability, better battle maps, and allow naval battles in detailed format. This is seen as shortcomings with current in the eyes of many and I hope they would take this to heart.

Great game engine.

This game along WITP and SPWAW are my favorites.

Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 3
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/19/2008 3:39:00 AM   
pixelpusher

Hi,

Indeed; as Joram says, we are working on Crown of Glory 2: Emporer's Edition.

Check out some beta screenshots: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1853198&mpage=1&key=
Note the swell new map.

quote:

I hope they add the detailed battle capability, better battle maps, and allow naval battles in detailed format. This is seen as shortcomings with current in the eyes of many and I hope they would take this to heart.

Well, it is your lucky game, Marine! We're adding some of the improvements from Forge to Crown of Glory 2, and adding detailed naval combat.

The ships will be pretty cool, actually. They will have variable sail states, you can control your orientation to the wind, as well as a number of other fun features. No screenshots yet (since I'm still working on the ship gfx) but here's a little teaser:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pixelpusher -- 7/19/2008 3:40:54 AM >

(in reply to BruceAZ)
Post #: 4
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/19/2008 3:55:50 AM   
BruceAZ

Wow! Very cool. Can't wait to play!

Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to pixelpusher)
Post #: 5
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/19/2008 4:09:52 AM   
pixelpusher

Yeah, the naval stuff could almost be it's own game. Fans of ship-of-the-line combat will not be disappointed, I think.

So, what would you guys think of naval detailed combat in Forge?

(in reply to BruceAZ)
Post #: 6
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/19/2008 8:28:17 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: pixelpusher

Yeah, the naval stuff could almost be it's own game. Fans of ship-of-the-line combat will not be disappointed, I think.

Would be a nice extra feature, but no make or break point to me as I hardly ever build any ships as the South (except when I simply want to have some fun and play with bigger economy, when I have at times built a fleet of ironclads).

Post #: 7
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/19/2008 8:29:19 AM   
terje439

quote:

Well, it is your lucky game, Marine! We're adding some of the improvements from Forge to Crown of Glory 2, and adding detailed naval combat.

The ships will be pretty cool, actually. They will have variable sail states, you can control your orientation to the wind, as well as a number of other fun features. No screenshots yet (since I'm still working on the ship gfx) but here's a little teaser:

Sweet! Almost like including wooden ships and iron men into the game, cannot wait. A guaranteed purchase here!

Post #: 8
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/19/2008 11:59:08 AM   
jnpoint

quote:

Nice pics, seeing forward to some more!
Naval detailed combat in Forge is not that importent to me, but I really, really miss zoom-posibility!!
Will there also be some more building in the citys like in FOF?

Post #: 9
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/19/2008 1:50:01 PM   
moose1999

I'm pretty much in line with the others, here.
Naval combat in FOF would be nice, but I'd rather see the time spent in other places (civil war was a bit too lopsided on the naval combat):

1. Zoom features on the detailed as well as the strategic map.

2. More terrain types on the detailed combat map - e.g. fences, railroads and the like (I know this is not a small thing to do as it involves reprogramming the AI too...).

3. Other, more atmospheric graphical representation of armies/corps/divisions on the strategic map. The flags look nice, and fill their role well, but the little soldiers and horses representing single units are so much more atmospheric. Would be nice with something similar for military groups.

4. For COG:EE: The same wonderful unit sprites and animations in detailed combat as in FOF. I just love those little men marching around on the map. And I love how, if you buy them a marching band upgrade or some observation balloons, these things actually appear on the battlefield. Wonderful level of details...

But, on the other hand, if it's not too much work and trouble, detailed naval combat would be really cool to have in the game, I must admit.
Would give me a chance of finally breaking the union's blockade of New Orleans...
So, if you can't help it - by all means put it in... 

regards,

Briny

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 10
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 7/19/2008 3:21:51 PM   
BruceAZ

I think it would be great especially if England or France enters the war. In the west, many a battle used gunboats as firesupport platforms for long distance bomardment of various forts or troops. River transport and support was very common. I think it would be very cool to have as a recent upgrade and it would really change the makeup of the game.

Plus the programing work can be used in other games or planned in the future..

My two cents

Recon
Semper Fi

Post #: 11
RE: is west-civ working on a new game? - 8/18/2008 12:39:11 AM   
marcbarker

prime example of river support. Look at the Batlle of Sabine Pass in Texas. The Union was comming dow the river in Force. Afew CSA guns stopped it cold. The only time in CSA history Medals of Honor so to speak were given out to those individuals.

The Second Battle of Sabine Pass took place on September 8, 1863, and was the result of a Union expedition into Confederate-controlled Texas during the American Civil War. It has often been credited as the most one-sided Confederate victory during the conflict.
During the summer of 1863, the president of Mexico, Benito Juárez, was overthrown and replaced by the emperor Maximilian, whose allegiance was with France. France had been openly sympathetic to the Confederate States of America earlier in the war, but had never matched its sympathy with diplomatic action. Now that a French government existed just south of the Rio Grande, the Confederates hoped to establish a fruitful route of entry for much-needed matériel.
U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was well aware of Confederate intentions and sent an expedition into Texas to establish a military presence and to discourage Maximilian from opening trade with the Confederacy. The Federal force was under the command of Major General Nathaniel P. Banks, a political general with little discernible command ability. Banks's original intent was to lead a combined army-navy expedition from the Mississippi River into the Red River. However, low water in the Red River prevented the Union gunboats from entering it. As a consequence, the expedition entered the Sabine River from the Gulf of Mexico. Banks ordered his subordinate, Major General William B. Franklin, to defeat a small Confederate detachment at Fort Griffin near the mouth of the river and capture Sabine City. The detachment consisted of 46 infantrymen of the 1st Texas Heavy Artillery and six guns manned by the Jeff Davis Guards — all under the command of Lieutenant Richard "Dick" Dowling. Considering the prominent size of the Union expeditionary force, disposing of this fort was not expected to prove any great challenge.
On the day of the battle, U.S. Navy Lieutenant Frederick Crocker entered the Sabine River with four gunboats, accompanied by eighteen troop transports containing 5,000 Federal infantrymen. Dowling's Texans had previously placed stakes in the river to act as markers for cannon fire. As the Union convoy entered among the stakes, the Confederates opened fire with deadly accuracy and wrought havoc on the vessels. The Yankees were forced to withdraw down the river after having lost two gunboats and 200 sailors captured. The Confederates are believed not to have suffered any casualties.
The Battle of Sabine Pass was of little tactical or strategic significance. A Confederate supply line from Mexico to Texas was never established, and in any case it could not have effectively supplied the states east of the Mississippi once the Union controlled the whole of that river after its victory at Vicksburg in July. The Confederacy was therefore forced to continue its reliance on blockade running to import valuable materiel and resources.

(in reply to BruceAZ)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> is west-civ working on a new game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI