Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Assaults are broken, aren't they?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> Assaults are broken, aren't they? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/18/2008 12:26:36 AM   
towishimp

Hey all,

I downloaded the new Campaign series and installed the patch last night, ready to relive my years of glory from the Talonsoft era.

But assaults do not seem to be working correctly. I've only had one successful assault in my 3-4 games. I just gave up in dispair after my full-strength paratrooper platoon failed in an assault against a strength 2 60mm morter section. The odds were astronomical, yet I still fail in assault after assault!

Is there a major rules change that I missed, or is something wrong with the game? If so, how can I fix it? Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/18/2008 1:45:50 AM   
Jason Petho

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1859298

Top of the post explains the new rules.

There is a minor glitch dealing with 0 assault units which will be addressed in a patch, ASAP.

Jason Petho

(in reply to towishimp)
Post #: 2
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/18/2008 1:49:51 AM   
cw58

quote:

ORIGINAL: towishimp

Hey all,

I downloaded the new Campaign series and installed the patch last night, ready to relive my years of glory from the Talonsoft era.

But assaults do not seem to be working correctly. I've only had one successful assault in my 3-4 games. I just gave up in dispair after my full-strength paratrooper platoon failed in an assault against a strength 2 60mm morter section. The odds were astronomical, yet I still fail in assault after assault!

Is there a major rules change that I missed, or is something wrong with the game? If so, how can I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Where have you been?
That's been the hot topic since Update 1.03 was officially released. I'll try to make the story short: there was a major program change in how assaults worked. It was intended to discourage a type of PBEM play, I think it's called "surround/disrupt/capture", that was very unappealing to some players. However, there was a bug introduced that had to do with assaulting units that had a 0 Assault Value; just like what happened to you. Anyway, the developers have said they will fix the bug and probably make the new assault rules optional. I was going to give you a link but Jason beat me to it. Man, that guy is everywhere!

BTW, welcome to the forum.

< Message edited by cw58 -- 7/18/2008 1:50:06 AM >

(in reply to towishimp)
Post #: 3
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/18/2008 1:13:35 PM   
towishimp

Thanks guys!

Where I've been is not on these boards until now. My old copies of West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun Gold Editions had served me just fine until a few months ago when I bought a computer that runs Vista. Thanks to the "hard attack bug," my new machine made the old games useless. So I finally had to break down and buy the new version. I love it, except that the new assault rules will take some getting used to.

(in reply to cw58)
Post #: 4
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/18/2008 3:25:16 PM   
cpdeyoung

They takes some getting used to, but I find they seem accurate.  Last night I was overrunning a stack of Axis transport with T-34s.  I had to assault three times in one turn to get them all, but get them I did.  I do not think this is hard to reconcile with actual results.  The tanks are in a target rich environment, and the transport is highly motivated to be out of the LOF.  "Target" is a status no one enjoys.

Chuck

(in reply to towishimp)
Post #: 5
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/19/2008 12:36:10 AM   
big dawg

FYI,
Gas is very expensive.  Just in case you did not know.

(just kidding..  yes, assault rules are a hot topic..  Check out the rest of the MB.)

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 6
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/21/2008 5:58:41 PM   
towishimp

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

They takes some getting used to, but I find they seem accurate.  Last night I was overrunning a stack of Axis transport with T-34s.  I had to assault three times in one turn to get them all, but get them I did.  I do not think this is hard to reconcile with actual results.  The tanks are in a target rich environment, and the transport is highly motivated to be out of the LOF.  "Target" is a status no one enjoys.

Chuck

In most scenarios, they're not that big a deal. But I've found some scenarious virtually unplayable. Any scenario that involves taking prepared positions is almost impossible to win. It was hard enough to disrupt all the units in a bunker or pillbox and then assault; now, even once they are disrupted, you need overwhealming force to even have a chance. Very frustrating. And I still find it infuriatingly difficult to overrun artillery positions, which I don't get.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 7
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/21/2008 11:23:35 PM   
sztartur2

Is there a patch coming anytime soon to solve this issue?  (tuning down the resistance values and letting the non-combat units being overrun)

Artur.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu

(in reply to towishimp)
Post #: 8
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/22/2008 2:35:21 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: sztartur

Is there a patch coming anytime soon to solve this issue?  (tuning down the resistance values and letting the non-combat units being overrun)

Artur.

Yes

As soon as it is ready, it will be released.

No ETA at the moment.

Jason Petho

(in reply to sztartur2)
Post #: 9
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/22/2008 4:52:40 AM   
cw58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

Artur.

Yes

No ETA at the moment.

Jason Petho

ETA? You're talking about ETA? What, are you crazy?

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 10
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/22/2008 9:01:51 PM   
sztartur2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

Is there a patch coming anytime soon to solve this issue? (tuning down the resistance values and letting the non-combat units being overrun)

Artur.

Yes

No ETA at the moment.

Jason Petho

OK thanks :).
Could you tell in a few words what the solution will be?

Artur.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 11
RE: Assaults are broken, aren't they? - 7/22/2008 9:03:25 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Could you tell in a few words what the solution will be?

No, not yet.

Jason Petho

(in reply to sztartur2)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> Assaults are broken, aren't they? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI