Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are Fighters Useless?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Are Fighters Useless? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are Fighters Useless? - 7/22/2008 3:09:56 AM   
MarkWayneClark

This is an embarassingly newbish question, and for that I apologize. I bought this game because I love the concept. I have read the manual more than once, and yet I am still having a hard time mastering even the basics.

My latest difficulty is with fighters. They only have one movement point, that is, they can attack into a neighboring territory, and then return to base. This means that in order for them to be in the fight at all, they MUST be based on the front lines. But when they are based on the front lines, they are sitting ducks for enemy air attacks. You can have a stack of 20 infantry and two fighters in a province, and the enemy will just attack with three or four planes, destroy the fighters, lose nothing, and retreat.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for your patience.
Post #: 1
RE: Are Fighters Useless? - 7/22/2008 4:14:35 AM   
a511

welcome to the game! and wish to play pbem with u someday!!

ftrs are not useless ... but how useful they are depend on how u are going to use them to.

leaving ur ftrs outnumbered within the range of enemy ftrs is a sin ... u either use flak units to protect the sky (although they may not be too effective ... esp at the end of the game against the mighty US B-52s) or deploy enough ftrs+flaks to make it hard for any air raids.

the other obvious thing is u can increase the range/Att/Ev of ur ftrs by research (but of course, ur enemy will do the same thing) to mininise the loss/ make the attacker paid.

hope it helps and enjoy the game!!

a511

(in reply to MarkWayneClark)
Post #: 2
RE: Are Fighters Useless? - 7/22/2008 4:25:53 AM   
MarkWayneClark

Thanks!

I tend to leave my flak behind my lines to protect major industrial centers from strategic bombing. Should I move it forward? Or build more? Or build more fighters?

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 3
RE: Are Fighters Useless? - 7/22/2008 5:37:18 AM   
a511

Well, for industrial centers protection, a "screen of ftrs" outside enemy ftr range is the best defence strategy as enemy HBs will be blocked by opt-fires. flaks are used to protect areas outside the "screen".

to answer ur questions re: whether to build more ftrs, it all depends on which side u are playing and what strategy is in ur mind.

i presume that u are playing GER.

the answer will be build more ftrs if sealion is ur goal.

However, if u intend to go for an early barbarossa, flaks will be a better choice to protect the atlantic wall. one thing to note is if u want to do intensive strategic bombing in Russia and find the RUS go heavy in ftrs, u still need the Me-109s w/ range of 2 to achieve air superiority.

a511

Post #: 4
RE: Are Fighters Useless? - 7/22/2008 1:18:40 PM   
MarkWayneClark

I am playing as USSR. I was building infantry and trying to make do with my starting air force (1941 scenario). Wrong strategy?

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 5
RE: Are Fighters Useless? - 7/23/2008 9:38:19 AM   
a511

well, the beauty of this game is there is no strict right or wrong. it all depends on counter-measures.

as RUS, the ftrs can be very good defence of the nazi strategy bombing so long as they are OUTSIDE the range of the Me-109s. what i used to do is to cover the factories within the range of Me-109s by flaks.

btw, are u playing the solo mode? imo, it is good to get yourself familiar with the game engine (esp the adv supply system) with the solo mode. but once u master the game engine, pbem is the real thing u should go for.

a511

Post #: 6
RE: Are Fighters Useless? - 7/23/2008 4:08:10 PM   
MarkWayneClark

I am playiing solo, for now at least. This game is harder for me to grasp and get into than I thought it would be.

The ideal level of complexity for me would be something like A&A Europe/Pacific, but with more territories on the map, and some of the better player-created rules. I got this game on the theory that it was sort of like that but it's actually quite a bit more complex.

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 7
RE: Are Fighters Useless? - 7/23/2008 5:10:28 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: a511

btw, are u playing the solo mode? imo, it is good to get yourself familiar with the game engine (esp the adv supply system) with the solo mode. but once u master the game engine, pbem is the real thing u should go for.

a511

Agreed but don't play a511 in your first game or you'll get your butt kicked

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Clark

I am playiing solo, for now at least. This game is harder for me to grasp and get into than I thought it would be.

Hang on there the game is worth it, we've all been where you are, just keep re-reading the manual and feel free to ask questions, not too many new people around lately in the forum but there are some hard core players still around that will help you.

Rafael

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 8
RE: Are Fighters Useless? - 7/24/2008 9:53:04 AM   
a511

quote:

Agreed but don't play a511 in your first game or you'll get your butt kicked

Rafael, I also make a lot of mistakes in the game ... the fact that the royal army was kicked out of the southern italy resorts in our tournment game ... is a very good example.  may be the fact that only playing the two 2v2 tournment games in the past months, which on ave only progress by at most two-turn-a-month makes me rusty in the game.

i think i need to start some new games ...
a511

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Are Fighters Useless? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI