Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Night - Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Night - Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Night - Question - 7/23/2008 12:25:37 PM   
wespe

Hi, i have a problem. I´m playing the west front scenario "Hells Corner Vanguard". In the scenario description, the designer wants the player to change the visibility, because the turns 11-15 and 25-30 are night turns. My question: How can I change the visibility ?? Please answer in "easy englisch" because my english is only "german school english". Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 1:13:59 PM   
GHQ

I understand it changes automatically

(in reply to wespe)
Post #: 2
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 1:59:26 PM   
R.E.LEE

look in the read me that come with game ,it tell you how to switch it.you have to switch yourself.
quote:

ORIGINAL: wespe

Hi, i have a problem. I´m playing the west front scenario "Hells Corner Vanguard". In the scenario description, the designer wants the player to change the visibility, because the turns 11-15 and 25-30 are night turns. My question: How can I change the visibility ?? Please answer in "easy englisch" because my english is only "german school english". Thanks

(in reply to wespe)
Post #: 3
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 2:20:57 PM   
marcbarker

Excellent advice. I forgot about that. Thank you very much

(in reply to R.E.LEE)
Post #: 4
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 3:35:44 PM   
simovitch

barker, can you write a macro that does this type of switching for the player?

What I'm getting at is if you (and/or Arkady et al.) apply this sort of data manipulation to the DCG data files I think you can introduce some great enhancements to the DCG's, like reduction of the AI forces for the next mission if you really clobber them, real Night turns (instead of heavy fog), variable map sizes, and other stuff.

It's all about manipulating the campaign.pdt file, and the various DCG data files created and accessed by the game. just a thought...

Attachment (1)

simovitch

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 5
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 3:43:01 PM   
R.E.LEE

Hi if its that easy to have the game switch it for you,why did the people who made the game not do this??
quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

barker, can you write a macro that does this type of switching for the player?

What I'm getting at is if you (and/or Arkady et al.) apply this sort of data manipulation to the DCG data files I think you can introduce some great enhancements to the DCG's, like reduction of the AI forces for the next mission if you really clobber them, real Night turns (instead of heavy fog), variable map sizes, and other stuff.

It's all about manipulating the campaign.pdt file, and the various DCG data files created and accessed by the game. just a thought...

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 6
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 3:57:14 PM   
marcbarker

I'll look at that and get back to you....did you see the new style of scenarios on the web? I am looking at user dossier files (operational orders) for each side. That comes up on there oob list. I finally got it to do right.....thank god....

----------------------------------------
may the bird of paradise fly up your nose

(in reply to R.E.LEE)
Post #: 7
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 4:02:14 PM   
marcbarker

you mean a percentage based casulty rate: CR x RR = Total Reinforcements

30% casulaty x 100% re-enforcements = 70% total - 40% reduction for night placement so you get a total

100 rei - 30 cas =70 x 40% = 42 total add a moral loss for redeployment, strength loss......too much?

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 8
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 4:21:07 PM   
simovitch

Youa re on the right track, but I'm not sure about reduction for Night Placement.

Take a look at my "Creating and Modifying a DCG.pdf" that came with 1.03. I've made an attempt to open up the data structure so that you programmer types (god bless you) will maybe introduce some 3rd party applications. My limited programming experience (Fortran 4 on punchcards c. 1979) tells me that it should be feasible

If you want to take this on, I suggest maybe start a new thread to air your thought process.

simovitch

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 9
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 4:24:49 PM   
marcbarker

Right now I have the scenario Viewer...maybe The veiwer can be tied into the dcg with a new twist....hmmmmm

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 10
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 6:31:51 PM   
Huib

This is an interesting discussion. There are several scenarios around that require manual manipulation of the bte file to switch from day to night and back. I have been playing with the idea to write an application that can read and load bte files, showing the players in which turn they are and allowing them to checkmark day or night. After this entry the application would write this change in the appropriate line of the bte file.
A step further would be if each scenario that has a day or night change gets its own script. The application would then load the script and compare and manipulate the bte file. The big problem is that I am not a programmer. I tried to teach myself Visual Basic to design a sort of text editor that could do this but I gave up due to time and patience shortage.

Any thoughts? note that this is for scenarios, I haven't thought about campaigns.

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 11
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 6:38:36 PM   
marcbarker

IN THE OLD DAYS OF GAMING HOW THE BROKE UP THIS ISSUE WAS PREASSIGNED TURN NUMBERS. EVERY TURN IS WHAT 5 MINUTES. TURN 1 12AM TURN 12 1 AM....ETC...
YOU CAN START YOUR ON LETS SAY TURN 60 RIGHT BEFORE DAY BREAK IT LAST 2 TURNS- 10 MIN
TURN 62 - 68  IS ASSIGNED VISIBILTY RANGE OF 3
TURNS 69 - 84 IS ASSIGNED VIISIBLITY OF 7
ETC

YOU START YOUR SCENARIO WITH PRESET TURNS WITH DEFAULT VARIABLES.
VOILA ....PROBLEM IS SOLVED

BUT THE WOULD HAVE TO ADD IT INTO THE EXECUTABLE

(in reply to Huib)
Post #: 12
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 6:42:50 PM   
marcbarker

IF YOU NOTICED THERE WAS A COLUMN IN THAT SPREADSHEET "TURNS" NOT NUMBER OF TURNS, MAYBE THEY ALREADY ENCODED IN THE STARTING TUN BASED ON THAT ASSUPMTION

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 13
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 8:43:50 PM   
wespe

nice answer....the szenario files have different files (vanguard; 00juno...) i`m not able to identify the text file, can you tell me the file name - the i switch myself.....

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 14
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 9:18:02 PM   
wespe

i think i find the answer....:

**Fall Braun: Across the Maas
Dynamic Visibilty instructions

This scenario has both day and night turns. The sequence is as follows 10 night turns followed by 15 day turns
After the Allied player has finished playing turn 10 (by pressing the end turn button). He should open the .bte file with Notepad
11 lines beneath the scenario title is this line with the following digits:
1 15 15 These should be changed into 0 15 15. The first digit in this line is the night turn determinater. So as the first day breaks visibility changes to 8. Starshells are available during night turns until they run out ofcourse.
After the Allied player has finished turn 25 the same line should be changed back to 1 15 15 for the next 10 turns. At turn 35 the second day arrives, while at 40 it is getting dark again.

Mind the visibility changes at those turns! Take care when plotting artillery and make sure your units are not suddenly sitting ducks as visibility jumps from 1 to 8 hexes.

Good luck and have fun!!

(in reply to wespe)
Post #: 15
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 9:42:23 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

but if you play the AI you must edit a .btl file....

.bte is for PBEM only...

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

(in reply to wespe)
Post #: 16
RE: Night - Question - 7/23/2008 10:09:29 PM   
Huib

quote:

ORIGINAL: wespe

i think i find the answer....:

**Fall Braun: Across the Maas
Dynamic Visibilty instructions

This scenario has both day and night turns. The sequence is as follows 10 night turns followed by 15 day turns
After the Allied player has finished playing turn 10 (by pressing the end turn button). He should open the .bte file with Notepad
11 lines beneath the scenario title is this line with the following digits:
1 15 15 These should be changed into 0 15 15. The first digit in this line is the night turn determinater. So as the first day breaks visibility changes to 8. Starshells are available during night turns until they run out ofcourse.
After the Allied player has finished turn 25 the same line should be changed back to 1 15 15 for the next 10 turns. At turn 35 the second day arrives, while at 40 it is getting dark again.

Mind the visibility changes at those turns! Take care when plotting artillery and make sure your units are not suddenly sitting ducks as visibility jumps from 1 to 8 hexes.

Good luck and have fun!!

This is a description from another scenario, but the procedure is the same. Hobbes made the Vanguard scenario. Apparently he didn't include a visibility instructions document for his scenario in 1.03. Juggalo is right if you play AI you should edit the btl file instead of a bte file.

(in reply to wespe)
Post #: 17
RE: Night - Question - 7/24/2008 3:46:06 PM   
HobbesACW

I'm yet to update the Blitz site with the 1.03 version but I posted it on this thread :-

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=43211

Visibility change instructions are included in a text file for both versions
(The file is called Dynamic Visibilty instructions).

The Talonsoft version has different instructions for visibility change and doesn't include starshells.
The scenario was written for PBEM play - I wouldn't recommend it against the AI.

Cheers, Chris

< Message edited by hobbes -- 7/24/2008 4:06:18 PM >

(in reply to Huib)
Post #: 18
RE: Night - Question - 7/24/2008 8:21:27 PM   
wespe

..... ok i play this scenario PBEM. I did the changes and it runs perfectly !! Very fine !! Hobbes : it`s one of the best scenario I´ve ever played :).....

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 19
RE: Night - Question - 7/24/2008 9:36:04 PM   
HobbesACW

Thanks Wespe! It's nice to get feedback like that

Cheers, Chris

(in reply to wespe)
Post #: 20
Hell`s Corner - 7/25/2008 12:53:13 PM   
wespe

....only a little mistake : the name of the Commander SS Panzergrenadierregiment 25 wasn`t "Mayer". His name was "Meyer" better known as "Panzermeyer".

Generaloberst WESPE Kriegsschauplatz Feldzugschmiede
09.01.2009 Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern
UNTERFELDWEBEL DEUTSCHER LANDSER Kriegsschauplatz Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club
Diverse Fronteinsätze

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Night - Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI