Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 6/29/2008 2:04:32 AM   
GaryChildress

I've been looking at screen shots of CCCOI and they look almost identical to CC III. Is CC COI a refurbished CC III or are there differences? Are there any new twists to the engine in CC COI that aren't in other CCs or in CC III? Is there a campaign system? If so how does it work?

Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 6/29/2008 5:24:11 AM   
Andrew Williams

CoI and CCIII have a linear campaign sytem...so no strat map but a series of operations.

CoI is an updated CCIII so it works on medern PC's .

There are tweaks to the AI and engine and a new Grand campaign with all new maps (26?)

A whole bunch of mods have been made compatible

http://www.closecombatonline.com/CSO/index.php?name=CmodsDownload&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=29&orderby=dateD

and more are being worked on... should have Commonwealth Summer up tomorrow.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 6/29/2008 7:19:10 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

CoI and CCIII have a linear campaign sytem...so no strat map but a series of operations.

CoI is an updated CCIII so it works on medern PC's .

There are tweaks to the AI and engine and a new Grand campaign with all new maps (26?)

A whole bunch of mods have been made compatible

http://www.closecombatonline.com/CSO/index.php?name=CmodsDownload&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=29&orderby=dateD

and more are being worked on... should have Commonwealth Summer up tomorrow.

Very cool.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 3
RE: Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 6/29/2008 9:08:28 AM   
Tactics

If CC3 works on your current PC then COI is moot. Same mods, same gameplay, a redone grand camp yes, but there are enough mods out there for the original CC3 that it isnt a big deal.

Post #: 4
RE: Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 6/29/2008 10:39:39 AM   
Andrew Williams

That's about right...

if you already have CC3 and it works well on your current system the additions and the fixes are only minor...... although you will find the AI more of a challenge, depending on your skill level.

If you don't have CC3 or can't stand the hassles of trying to get it to work on your modern PC then Cross of Iron more than worth the invesment... my favourite version of CC so far.

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 5
RE: Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 6/29/2008 2:15:02 PM   
GaryChildress

I have CC 3. I haven't tried it on Windows XP yet. I'll give it a try.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 6
RE: Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 6/29/2008 2:30:50 PM   
junk2drive

I have XP and CC5 works fine for me. I haven't played it for years but recently tried again. The fansites have lots of full conversion mods that are easy to swap out with a manager program. (Wasn't like that way back then, lol)

I have no interest in EF games but would concider COI for some of the mods. I am watching for news on the CC4 remake, since I don't have 4. If it has AI improvements (over CC5) and lots of mods, I'll take the plunge.

Post #: 7
RE: Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 6/29/2008 2:41:08 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I have XP and CC5 works fine for me. I haven't played it for years but recently tried again. The fansites have lots of full conversion mods that are easy to swap out with a manager program. (Wasn't like that way back then, lol)

I have no interest in EF games but would concider COI for some of the mods. I am watching for news on the CC4 remake, since I don't have 4. If it has AI improvements (over CC5) and lots of mods, I'll take the plunge.

Also if the new CC 4 remake is easily modable by the average player I will be in heaven. I'd like to build my own campaigns in whatever campaign style I wish. That would be great.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 8
RE: Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 7/24/2008 3:34:49 PM   
Aex

Hello dear "Combatants".
Recently I've heard about CC series and I'm thinking to buy and try for the first time a CC game.
The realism of battles is what I respect in a game. I'm particularly interested in city battles. I've read in a review that CC doesn't have rivals among today's RTS games when it comes to battles in a city. However, I need some explanations from those that play CC-Cross of Iron, about how the battles in the cities actually happen.
My biggest doubt is: since there is just one squad in my command I have to "drive" it through all the huge map that CC series permit. Thus liberating/conquering a city is a huge task accomplished only by 8-20 men + the leader. Or there are some other friendly squads somewhere on the map (within the city in this case) and thus they really resemble Stalingrad picture, say.

What is the truth?

How close to reality is the Stalingrad scenario played (if there is such a scenario)?

Thanks for your time. I really want to find the answers to these questions before I put my hands on this game :).

Post #: 9
RE: Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 7/24/2008 4:32:48 PM   
Brisbin

Each side has a maxium of 15 squads to command.  I think you start with being able to command around 12 and then you can command more as your rank increases.  You also need to be able to afford the units.  Also one vehicle is equal to one squad so you can have 15 squads or 15 vehicles or any combination.  I know that the Stalingrad has special maps just for Stalingrad.  Close Combat is my favorite war game by far.   I have been playing since CC2 where I would play on the zone against other people.  It's not as popular now but you can still find players.  One cool part about CC3(COI) is that it takes place during the whole time period of the Eastern Front and some units like the Tiger will be devestating when they first appear but later in the War the Russians had more to counter them.  

(in reply to Aex)
Post #: 10
RE: Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron - 7/25/2008 10:51:13 PM   
Aex

thanks for the reply

(in reply to Brisbin)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Thinking of Buying Cross of Iron Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI