Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/23/2008 10:50:36 PM   
warspite1

Carlsberg made their strong lager Special Brew - in honour of which WWII hero? 

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 211
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 12:48:41 AM   
monkla

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Hmm... I looked it up, so I don't want to answer the questions, but I was wrong about Turkey, so Warspite should get credit for his answer.

Mind, Turkey is one answer out of seven for February 1945 DoWs on Axis.

Incidentally, there are apparently two possible answers for who DoWed Axis in March 1945. But there was someone who was even later... April 1945. Who?

Sure was Turkey and Argentina that I was thinking about. I remember reading this ages ago, but I have to admit I didn't realise a whole pile of other nations did also.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 212
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 4:18:22 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Carlsberg made their strong lager Special Brew - in honour of which WWII hero? 

I believe that one was the only Danish air ace of the war. I remember the interview with him and him describing how he managed to get airborne when the German invasion began and then dived out of the sun to shoot down a Fokker, then wheeled left and shot down another Fokker and then spun right and shot down a third Fokker. The interviewer then asked if all the enemy fighters and bombers that day were Fokkers and he said: "Oh no, all these Fokkers were flying Messerschmitts."

Paul

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 213
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 4:29:35 AM   
tigercub

good one paul but its and old one for me....

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 214
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 6:31:46 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkla

This looks like fun. I must join in. Since I saw a post about Brazil declaring war. How about this...

A) Which nation declared war on the Axis in February 1945?
B) Which nation declared war on the Axis in March 1945?

(Obviously they had to think carefully before committing themselves.....)

Leigh

A: Paraguay, Venezuela and erm...one more from South America I believe.
B: Argentina

Hey warspite: it could be worse. you could be terje439's mighty navy!

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 215
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 6:46:13 AM   
panzers

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

Here's a good one for you: What happened the first week of September 1940 over on London that caused an unprovoked attack on Berlin? where 15 or so planes attempted to bomb Berlin, but none of the bombs made it through, but instead accidentilly bombed another German city thinking it was Berlin? You probably know the answer to that one, but not many know the second part. Why was it the best possible scenerio for the Germans to start bombing London. That is question 2. Here is 2a, and the most amazing of all: What was going on in the British parliament when churchill and his staff started to hear air raid sirens for the first time over London
It's basically a 3 part question even though there is a 2a. I challenge anyone to get all three answers. Here's a clue: it was a world altering event and no one knew about it until some 35-40 years later.

First part, are you thinking about the fact that a few German bombers bombed London by mistake?
[/quot
Correct. That was the easy part. The next part is slightly harder: why was it the best thing that ever happened to England , indeed it's very survival when Hitler turned his planes on London. If you know the answer, try and give details as to why it was the very thing that saved England from a possible Sea Lion invasion because the 2nd part of this question has everything to so with what I just said

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 216
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 8:24:17 AM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's a good one for you: What happened the first week of September 1940 over on London that caused an unprovoked attack on Berlin? where 15 or so planes attempted to bomb Berlin, but none of the bombs made it through, but instead accidentilly bombed another German city thinking it was Berlin? You probably know the answer to that one, but not many know the second part. Why was it the best possible scenerio for the Germans to start bombing London. That is question 2. Here is 2a, and the most amazing of all: What was going on in the British parliament when churchill and his staff started to hear air raid sirens for the first time over London
It's basically a 3 part question even though there is a 2a. I challenge anyone to get all three answers. Here's a clue: it was a world altering event and no one knew about it until some 35-40 years later.

First part, are you thinking about the fact that a few German bombers bombed London by mistake?
[/quot
Correct. That was the easy part. The next part is slightly harder: why was it the best thing that ever happened to England , indeed it's very survival when Hitler turned his planes on London. If you know the answer, try and give details as to why it was the very thing that saved England from a possible Sea Lion invasion because the 2nd part of this question has everything to so with what I just said

Ah, now the second part makes a LOT more sense

It was a godsent for the British due to the fact that their retaliation strike on Berlin enraged Hitler beyond belief (both he and Göring had promised that not a single bomb would fall on Berlin, after this Göering was humorously talked about as Meyer (believe it was Meyer) due to his speach "if a single bomb falls on Berlin you can call me Meyer".
So at this point Hitler demanded London bombed into obliveration, changing focus from RAF's airports and factories making plane components, this allowed RAF/Allied pilots to get some much needed rest, had the Germans continued their previous plan it was likely that RAF had to vacate Southern England, but by deciding to bomb London, the Germans allowed RAF to decide which attacks to intercept, and not forcing them to intercept all of the incoming attacks.
As to why this helped to save England from a possible Sealion I've allready stated, RAF were about to vacant Southern England.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 217
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 8:35:31 AM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

This looks like fun. I must join in. Since I saw a post about Brazil declaring war. How about this...

Leigh

heeeey!

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 218
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 8:42:18 AM   
terje439

don¨'t have alot of time to post now, need to sleep, then prepare for work, then go to work, then park the truck, see maiden, do my deliveries, and then off to see Batman...(the movie not the superhero!!). Makes me wonder why I agreed to all of these things..

Anyway here goes;

Q: Name at least 4 car/truck manufactorers that still exists that produced German war materiel during WW2.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 219
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 8:45:20 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Q: Name at least 4 car/truck manufactorers that still exists that produced German war materiel during WW2.

Opel, this one I'm sure.
Mercedes
General Motors
Renault

Edit :Ah ah, I did not read the question fully !!! Geman war materiel you said !!!
So I say :

Opel.
Mercedes.
Volksvagen

< Message edited by Froonp -- 7/24/2008 8:46:05 AM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 220
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 8:47:20 AM   
Froonp

Spandau ? Does this exist ?

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 221
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 8:47:35 AM   
terje439

and there again, posting when in a hurry leaves my questions somewhat vague. hehe. Not sure about GM and Renault but it seems very possible. I'll let you have this one

Did ofc actually mean German manufactorers but oh well hehe.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 222
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 2:17:01 PM   
panzers

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

[/quot

Ah, now the second part makes a LOT more sense

It was a godsent for the British due to the fact that their retaliation strike on Berlin enraged Hitler beyond belief (both he and Göring had promised that not a single bomb would fall on Berlin, after this Göering was humorously talked about as Meyer (believe it was Meyer) due to his speach "if a single bomb falls on Berlin you can call me Meyer".
So at this point Hitler demanded London bombed into obliveration, changing focus from RAF's airports and factories making plane components, this allowed RAF/Allied pilots to get some much needed rest, had the Germans continued their previous plan it was likely that RAF had to vacate Southern England, but by deciding to bomb London, the Germans allowed RAF to decide which attacks to intercept, and not forcing them to intercept all of the incoming attacks.
As to why this helped to save England from a possible Sealion I've allready stated, RAF were about to vacant Southern England.

OK, I knew someone would come through with that one for by that time the pilots they had left literally were not sleeping. So I'm not surprised there. Here is something that, although I can tell you as fact(I have read many books on WWII, and can't honestly remember which one, It might have been the swiss series on the world warII Encyclopedia series. I'll have to look), I can't remember where, but it is a reliable source for sure. What happened in the basement of the British parliment as the first bombs were hitting London) I am really curious if anyone knows this one. To say what happened was history altering is a major understatement.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 223
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 4:10:18 PM   
monkla

Not hard if you can google, but of course we're not doing that

What was Stalin's birth name?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 224
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 4:41:26 PM   
NeBert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Opel, this one I'm sure.
Mercedes
General Motors
Renault

Edit :Ah ah, I did not read the question fully !!! Geman war materiel you said !!!
So I say :

Opel.
Mercedes.
Volksvagen

Opel and Mercedes should be right.
Volkswagen I´m not sure.
BMW (Aircraft Engines), Porsche (Tanks) and MAN (Trucks) also produced war meterial.

NeBert

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 225
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 4:49:40 PM   
monkla

quote:

The first air raid sirens over London occurred Sept 3 1939, just as the ultimatum to Germany had expired and war was declared. But this doesn't seem to fit into the category of no-one noticing till 35-40 years later. I think some people did notice the outbreak of war!!!

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 226
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 5:11:49 PM   
YohanTM2

I think if you change all those values to 9s then speed will have to drop to 1 and range to 0. Never going to move it out of port.
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think Turkey was one.

Hey Rob, look what you look like in MWiF

Warspite1

Hey Patrice, I`m Lookin good!!

Now all I need is those values changed - I was thinking 9,9,9 and er? 9 Yamato - Who are yer? Bismarck? Come on then if you think your hard enough!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 227
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 7:30:36 PM   
micheljq

quote:

Jozef?

One death is a tragedy, one thousands death a statistic - Stalin.

(in reply to monkla)
Post #: 228
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 7:33:22 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

Jozef?

One death is a tragedy, one thousands death a statistic - Stalin.
Warspite1

Dzugashvelli (sorry about the spelling)

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 229
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 7:40:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Leigh

Warspite1

Worse? Que??

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 230
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 9:32:42 PM   
composer99

What was "kickapoo joy juice"?

~ Composer99

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 231
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/24/2008 9:48:37 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

What was "kickapoo joy juice"?

Lil Abner's favorite beverage.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 232
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/25/2008 3:58:41 PM   
composer99

Could be, I suppose (I had to look up Li'l Abner). There is another answer which is more in line with this thread, though.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 233
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/25/2008 4:56:32 PM   
AbeSimpson

VW produced two of the most famous cars for the Wehrmacht! See below....

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeBert

quote:

quote:

Opel, this one I'm sure.
Mercedes
General Motors
Renault

So I say :

Opel.
Mercedes.
Volksvagen

Volkswagen I´m not sure.
BMW (Aircraft Engines), Porsche (Tanks) and MAN (Trucks) also produced war meterial.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AbeSimpson -- 7/25/2008 4:59:44 PM >

(in reply to NeBert)
Post #: 234
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/25/2008 7:55:28 PM   
NeBert

quote:

ORIGINAL: AbeSimpson

VW produced two of the most famous cars for the Wehrmacht! See below....

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeBert

quote:

quote:

Opel, this one I'm sure.
Mercedes
General Motors
Renault

So I say :

Opel.
Mercedes.
Volksvagen

Volkswagen I´m not sure.

Yes, the Kübelwagen - so obvious
But I have never seen the Käfer in military "dress"!

Thanks!

NeBert

(in reply to AbeSimpson)
Post #: 235
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/25/2008 8:54:05 PM   
Morval_slith

quote:

Josef Vassarionovich Dzhugashvili

(in reply to monkla)
Post #: 236
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/26/2008 12:33:30 AM   
terje439

quote:

Here is something that, although I can tell you as fact(I have read many books on WWII, and can't honestly remember which one, It might have been the swiss series on the world warII Encyclopedia series. I'll have to look), I can't remember where, but it is a reliable source for sure. What happened in the basement of the British parliment as the first bombs were hitting London) I am really curious if anyone knows this one. To say what happened was history altering is a major understatement.

Hmm I have no idea, but from the way you phrased the question, my guess is gonna be that the British were thinking about offering peace?

< Message edited by terje439 -- 7/26/2008 1:03:41 AM >

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 237
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/26/2008 12:45:29 AM   
terje439

Q1: What orders did the Wehrmacht have if they were oposed during the remilitarization of the Rheinland?

Q2: What German fieldmarshal was shot down 5 times during WW2?

Q3: To who did Leo Amery say "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and
let us have done with you. In the name of God, go."?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 238
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/26/2008 1:28:09 AM   
Norman42

quote:

Q3: To who did Leo Amery say "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and

Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain

He was quoting some past British parliamentarian (who said the same to, I believe, Oliver Cromwell).

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 239
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/26/2008 1:30:19 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42

quote:

Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain

He was quoting some past British parliamentarian (who said the same to, I believe, Oliver Cromwell).

Actually it was Cromwell that said it, but you are correct indeed, it was said to Chamberlain.

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI