Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Obligitory Wish List Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Obligitory Wish List Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/25/2008 2:13:18 AM   
benpark

I'm largely enjoying the game, but here are a few things that would make it fun-er-er:

-On map place names

-Ability to create hasty fortifications

-Major transportation networks (road, rail) shown on map

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Post #: 1
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/25/2008 10:05:40 AM   
doomtrader

Something disconnected me a while before so here comes it again:

quote:

On map place names

Might be usefull, indeed.

quote:

Ability to create hasty fortifications

You mean something like sandboxes and barbedwire or maybe some concrete bunkers built by production?
At the first glance, first option is not good for this scale of map, and the second one would take too much time and resources and I think might unbalance the game. We will discuss it with other devs. :)

quote:

Major transportation networks (road, rail) shown on map

Is it only, an eyecandy or should it have some game impact?

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 2
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/25/2008 10:40:51 AM   
GJK

quote:

On map place names

-Might be usefull, indeed.

Agreed, this is needed. The ability to add more cities would be nice too (I *think* that this may be possible by editing the appropriate .csv file - correct?)

quote:

Ability to create hasty fortifications

-You mean something like sandboxes and barbedwire or maybe some concrete bunkers built by production?
At the first glance, first option is not good for this scale of map, and the second one would take too much time and resources and I think might unbalance the game. We will discuss it with other devs. :)

Again agreed, I think that this is the wrong scale (EXC: West Wall, Maginot Line, etc. Are those modelled here?)

quote:

Major transportation networks (road, rail) shown on map

-Is it only, an eyecandy or should it have some game impact?

I don't think road networks would fit in at this scale, but railroads would; but I would assume that is what strategic movement simulates, correct?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 3
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/25/2008 10:46:46 AM   
doomtrader

Looks I've got some problems with autologgoff :/

quote:

The ability to add more cities would be nice too (I *think* that this may be possible by editing the appropriate .csv file - correct?)

You are correct

quote:

EXC: West Wall, Maginot Line, etc. Are those modelled here?)

They are in the game

quote:

I don't think road networks would fit in at this scale, but railroads would; but I would assume that is what strategic movement simulates, correct?

You are right again :)

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 4
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/25/2008 2:25:27 PM   
benpark

I was thinking of the road and rail network as being a useful visual "on board" representation of major supply lines.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 5
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/25/2008 10:17:24 PM   
slimer

Generated unit names (from a list of pre-created names, perhaps?)
A list of units eligible for reinforcements
Deployment of fleet units en masse, ie several units at once instead of one at a time
Keyboard shortcuts, for instance for strategic movement of units

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 6
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/25/2008 10:26:40 PM   
GJK

Are naval units also a "purchase and deploy" type of unit (as are the others)? What is the time scale of the game, is it quarterly or bi-monthly? I liked how Clash of Steel (and I think about every other ETO game) handles new builds by putting them on a production schedule.

(in reply to slimer)
Post #: 7
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/25/2008 10:53:41 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

Are naval units also a "purchase and deploy" type of unit (as are the others)? What is the time scale of the game, is it quarterly or bi-monthly? I liked how Clash of Steel (and I think about every other ETO game) handles new builds by putting them on a production schedule.

Yes naval unit are purchase and deploy. Turn length varies by season - Summer=1 week, Fall/Spring=2 weeks, winter=4 weeks. Naval units cost a lot of PP so the build up of PP could be considered the time required tobuild a ship.

(And yes I caved in a bought the game.... enjoying it so far. Definate reincarnation of Clash of Steel)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 8
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/25/2008 11:34:58 PM   
Jim D Burns

Here’s my wish list for the game after spending a few hours with it:

1. A text document covering all possible in game events. It’s kind of silly to spend political points on activating a neutral if an in game event is going to fire off and activate it later (Italy). On the other hand if there is no in game event and you think there should be (Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, etc.) it would be nice to know you should be spending points to get those neutrals in game. I’m almost to the end of 1941 and none of Germany’s minors have entered play. Unfortunately I spent most of my points on Spain because I assumed an event would bring in the historical minors.

2. Display unit locations with country specific colored dots on the mini map.

3. A global list that shows all upgradable units. And another list that shows all under-strength units. You would/should be able to spend points on the units from this list without having to search all over the map, so the actual cost should also be displayed.

4. There should be some indication if an enemy fleet is present in an area. Not exact numbers, but perhaps a color-coded outline (based on a comparison to the size of your total fleet)such as green, yellow, red. Green would be a small presence, yellow about the same size as you total fleet and red indicates a very large fleet presence. Subs of course would not be a part of this calculation.

5. Please make country borders darker, thicker and permanent. It makes no sense to have to switch between country borders and control borders. If country borders were displayed as permanent lines color-coded for their country on the actual terrain tiles, then you could always have the control border active and use both at the same time.

6. Allow a minimum of one strategic move per minor. The idea that any European minor (even Slovakia) did not have enough rolling stock on hand to rail at least a single division in 1939 is ludicrous. And spending 50 PP when your income is only 1.5 is simply too severe, so please give every country at least 1 SMP at start.

7. Get rid of the auto attack with a single mouse click. All attacks should have to be initiated by selecting the defender first. The current auto-attack feature constantly causes accidental devastating attacks when you are looking through dense concentrations of units and you accidently click a defender. If all attacks required a defending unit first be selected, then the extra click needed would cut down a lot on these devastating accidents. Color coding the group attack dot to red or orange to indicate a unit can only attack by itself would help a lot too.

8. Some kind of air recon should be auto-flown at the start of the turn. It’s silly to play with a 4 hex limit because you’ll never see an enemy air unit to attack it. So gaining air superiority before a landing is nearly impossible if your opponent keeps his airforce 25 hexes inland. A small chance of spotting units further than 4 hexes from a friendly unit if it is within range of friendly air would be a nice feature. That way if your opponent is 25 hexes inland, you can attack units you spot 10 hexes inland to generate an air battle over the hex to help win air superiority if that’s your goal.

9. Please make the one week turns last from March-October. As things are now, there aren’t enough turns to get the historical job done, due to how fast time moves with 2 week turns for most of the game. Getting Denmark and Norway done before attacking France is nearly impossible due to the two week (and eventually one month) turn spread, if turns were one week for the months listed, there would be time to get it all done before going into France. The rest of the time turns should be two weeks.

I can’t think of any more right now, but I’m sure more will come as I get further into the game.

Initial impressions are good so far, kudos on a job well done.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 7/26/2008 1:31:48 PM >

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 9
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/26/2008 12:19:13 AM   
BlueMak

I don't have the game yet, but I too would like to see an increase of the duration for the 1 week months. Perhaps have Winter only more weeks, 3?

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 10
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/26/2008 12:21:19 AM   
Barthheart

Number of weeks(impulses) per game month is modable in the scenario files. Easy to change.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to BlueMak)
Post #: 11
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/26/2008 11:01:32 AM   
Grognerd

Be able to scroll the map with the keyboard arrow keys.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 12
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/26/2008 7:49:24 PM   
darrellb9

Would be nice if the unit selected were highlighted on the map.

(in reply to Grognerd)
Post #: 13
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/26/2008 11:11:07 PM   
benpark

I'll ask for this, but it may be in- variable chance for game events.

This would be good for modeling events such as neutral country entrance into the war or severe winter, etc. It would also add greatly to replayability.

(in reply to darrellb9)
Post #: 14
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/27/2008 1:10:44 AM   
Lucky1

I am wondering what role (if any) land-based aircraft play in naval battles / seazones. In CoS, aircraft units based on hexes adjacent to water increased the odds of naval battle and, in some instances, participated in a battle (either on their own or in concert with naval units). Frankly, it was one of the only ways for Germany / Italy to have a fighting chance v the Royal Navy.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 15
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/27/2008 2:18:21 PM   
LuckyJim1006

A OOB Screen would be nice. Showing under strength units, units available for upgrades etc. Should also go to the selected unit. That way I wont keep missing my airborne units :-)

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 16
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/27/2008 9:29:37 PM   
LuckyJim1006

Screen showing VP cities/Resource Hexes etc.

(in reply to LuckyJim1006)
Post #: 17
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/27/2008 9:30:38 PM   
benpark

-Ability to upgrade an infantry unit to a mechanized one.

-Ability to upgrade a mechanized infantry unit to an armored one.

-Ability to meld two depleted units that are adjacent together to form a new unit (think Task force or Kampfgruppe). This might cost a certain amount of PP and would also not be fully up to strength, possibly even less than the combined depleted forces added totals.

Post #: 18
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/28/2008 6:23:03 AM   
Vypuero

I like the dots on the left showing the tech level of the armor - why can't we have the same for Infantry? Would make it easier.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 19
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/28/2008 8:57:41 AM   
GJK

Ok, the "1 click to attack" feature has got to go - wayyyy to many times do you accidentally attack 1on1 when you're trying to set up a multi-hex attack!

(in reply to Vypuero)
Post #: 20
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/28/2008 12:43:09 PM   
JMass

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

Ok, the "1 click to attack" feature has got to go - wayyyy to many times do you accidentally attack 1on1 when you're trying to set up a multi-hex attack!

It happens me too a lot of times and sometimes it is difficult to distingue the unit selected.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 21
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/28/2008 6:02:34 PM   
Vypuero

I concur - in fact I can't seem to get it to show the odds for 1 on 1 attacks either - I think I saw them once or twice by accident but can't get it to work again.  Needs to be 1 click - show red arrow and adds - second click = confirms!

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 22
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/28/2008 6:06:00 PM   
LuckyJim1006

Agree on the 1-1 attack thing. There does seem to be a feature that lets you get the odds but I'm damned if I can get it to replicate.

To be clear. No auto attacks on left click.

(in reply to Vypuero)
Post #: 23
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/29/2008 8:59:06 AM   
Magpius

customisable keyboard shortcuts instead of just mouse clicks.
ie:
u=upgrade
r=rebase
i=unit info
a=assign leader
etc....

Post #: 24
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/29/2008 10:31:30 PM   
Plainian

Mentioned this in another thread but I'll add it here again. How about limited control of other countries units. Possibly using the event engine?

eg Rumania goes Axis and declares war on Russia then Germany selects 3/4 Corps units and takes control of them. They move as if they were German units and can attack as if they were German units? Same with Hungary. Why not Italy as well? eg Event triggers which sends or allows Germany to move  unit (the CSIR) to Russia?

Too gamey or open to player abuse? too difficult to programme? 

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 25
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/29/2008 11:22:46 PM   
Howard7x

Really enjoying this game so far.

1. I agree with the others above, number 1 priority needs to be taking the 1 click attack function away. Seeing as attacking with 1 unit vs 1 unit is in most causes a major loss for the attacker, its a pretty simple mistake to make when your continually right and left clicking units in close proximity. Also the 1v1 odds would be easier to display.

2. Units highlighted in the mini map.

3. Strategic front line needs to be brighter colour - I see this is already going to be changed...

4. When selecting a unit and browsing its stats, in the stats menu, the name of the unit would be handy.

Cheers for a cool an addictive game.

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 26
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/30/2008 3:18:20 AM   
wjthomps

Anyone notice that during the AI turn the combat results box covers the actual battle itself. I'd like to see it moved to one side so that I can see the battle it is referring to.

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 27
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/30/2008 9:34:52 AM   
canton

So here´s my wishlist. Basically it´s a list of things i saw in other WW2 grand strategy titles, but i think they would perfectly fit into RtV:

- Actually you can build everything with your political points. I understand that in a game like this you can´t simulate every ore mine or factory, but please add at least something like the manpower/oil system you have in "Commander Europe at War". It´s a very simple system but it has a huge impact especially on the Axis strategy. At the moment you don´t need to think about how to run your tanks and you can recruit millions of soldiers.

- What i also would like to see is the "oob management" system of Advanced tactics. First of all please introduce HQ units where you can attach Divisions and/or Korps. Actually when you move a Division around it may switch it´s leader depending if it´s in the radius of leader A or leader B; i´d prefer a fixed oob which can be defined by the player like in AT. Colorcodes like in AT would be the cherry on the cake of course :)

- The third point is something you´ve in almost every wargame: different countercolors for a nation. For Germany e.g.: grey the Wehrmacht, black the SS and light blue for the Luftwaffe :)

- Add at least the pbem option. An MP Mode is absolutely necessary today!

These are my four major wishes for the moment. I think RtV is a good game at the moment and for me it´s more fun than SC2 or Commander. But with some tweaks you can create a masterpiece (and sell it for the double price :) ).

(in reply to wjthomps)
Post #: 28
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/30/2008 10:08:36 AM   
doomtrader

List of wishes in my notepad become longer and longer :)
First we will try to debug the game and then we will see what else could be done.
Some of the changes you are asking might be done, of course we will try to make the game become as close to masterpiece as it's possible :)

Thank you all for so positive feedback and advices.

(in reply to canton)
Post #: 29
RE: Obligitory Wish List Thread - 7/30/2008 11:01:30 AM   
JMass

My add:

Pbem.
The possibility to hide units to see only the terrain.
One defensive bonus (and/or offensive) to units that not move.
A confirm when you click on End Turn.
Formations and Chain of Command (i.e. units in the same formation could launch 2 multiple attacks).
A limitation to give replacements to units pocketed (also if in the pocket are cities that give supply).
Possibility to have back some PPs when disbanding units (i.e. disband one infantry units to rebuild it as motorized one).

< Message edited by JMass -- 7/30/2008 11:29:05 AM >

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Obligitory Wish List Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI