Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[semi OT] Soviet version of NTDS?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> [semi OT] Soviet version of NTDS? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[semi OT] Soviet version of NTDS? - 7/27/2008 5:48:52 PM   
tpope

Sorry for the semi-off topic post. Does anyone know where I could find the symbol set that the Soviet navy used on their tactical plots, either hand drawn or their version of the NTDS (assumign they even had one, console details are still hard to find).
Post #: 1
Harpoon - 7/27/2008 11:51:14 PM   
hermanhum

I don't know if they are "official" or not, but here are some old WWII symbology:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65219&highlight=symbols

(in reply to tpope)
Post #: 2
RE: [semi OT] Soviet version of NTDS? - 7/28/2008 4:04:07 AM   
tpope

Ok, now I'm really annoyed.  I've tried to post a reply twice now, each time when I post the form seems to have reset and I need to log back in, and each time I lost everything I've typed.

Short(ish) version:

The WWII set I'd found earlier this week on a web search.  I don't have any idea either if it is official or not, but it was certainly interesting.

The USNI Guide to Naval Weapons Systems is an excellent book.  The full extent of my (very limited) knowledge about Soviet systems comes from there.  I haven't seen the other book however, and will have to see if I can get it from the library.

I also hadn't considered that they might not have any kind of standardization, but you're right that it is quite likely.  I tend to forget that even NTDS (and CDS and ACDS and MilSpec whatever, etc.) have made changes to the symbol set over time.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the replies.  I'll keep searching and if I find anything I'll be certain to post it here.
Post #: 3
Harpoon - 7/28/2008 4:20:06 AM   
hermanhum

The "forum logging you out" problem has already been reported to Matrix.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1854907

A work-around solution is to just copy your message before you post and then if you get logged out, you can just paste it back into a new message window. The "Log-Out" problem doesn't seem to happen if you type in a new message quickly.

(in reply to tpope)
Post #: 4
RE: [semi OT] Soviet version of NTDS? - 7/28/2008 4:41:42 PM   
tpope

quote:

The "forum logging you out" problem has already been reported to Matrix.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me thrice, maybe I ought to start copying my posts before clicking "ok"  :-)

quote:

Fifth Edition, pages 85 to 88 is where I got the information for my post above. It covers mainly surface ships. There is a separate section for submarines but the information there are only a few differences. Second Captains started going to sea in the Yankee class, which were apparently designed for it.

Yep.  I went back and reread that section after your last post.  It even goes to far as to talk about the BIP layout in a couple of cases, based on photographs that aren't published.  That's something I'm going to have to search for.  I keep hoping that with more data forthcoming over the years, Friedman will do a design and development style book on the Soviet Navy. 
Post #: 5
RE: [semi OT] Soviet version of NTDS? - 7/28/2008 6:46:24 PM   
noxious

On logging out issues, have you tried logging out manually, erasing all your matrixgames.com cookies, closing the browser, then re-starting it and logging in again ?
That's what I did when I got logged out by accident after the server move, and haven't had any troubles since then.

Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.

(in reply to tpope)
Post #: 6
RE: [semi OT] Soviet version of NTDS? - 7/28/2008 7:24:53 PM   
tpope

quote:

ORIGINAL: noxious

On logging out issues, have you tried logging out manually, erasing all your matrixgames.com cookies, closing the browser, then re-starting it and logging in again ?

I'll try that if it persists. So far it hasn't reached the "really annoying" threshold yet.

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 7
RE: [semi OT] Soviet version of NTDS? - 7/28/2008 10:56:57 PM   
FransKoenz

What Soviet designation icons....

And the Chinese?

Harpoon is an old fashion Cold War Game, so, Imo, the normal Icons is for civilians [like me and many others] good enough, the military nerds around us prefere the NTDS system, but Soviet Icons???

Give me a break!

Pfffffffffffff.

(in reply to tpope)
Post #: 8
RE: [semi OT] Soviet version of NTDS? - 7/29/2008 6:30:34 PM   
tpope

Well, that would be why it is off topic. 

I'm not really interested in using these in Harpoon (mind you, I think it would be neat when playing on the Soviet side in certain scenarios, but I'm probably a minority of one in that respect), but interested in how the Soviet Navy looked at their own tactical plots and systems, as part of understanding how they approached the whole spectrum of naval tactics.

(in reply to FransKoenz)
Post #: 9
Harpoon - 7/29/2008 6:34:51 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: tpope

interested in how the Soviet Navy looked at their own tactical plots and systems, as part of understanding how they approached the whole spectrum of naval tactics.

Then Milan Vego's book, "Soviet Naval Tactics", is definitely something you want to read.

(in reply to tpope)
Post #: 10
RE: Soviet Naval Tactics - 7/29/2008 7:25:23 PM   
tpope

quote:

Then Milan Vego's book, "Soviet Naval Tactics", is definitely something you want to read.

As soon as I get back from vacation I'm going to see about getting it from the library.  It looks like just what I'm looking for.

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> [semi OT] Soviet version of NTDS? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI