Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Communication modeling

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Communication modeling Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Communication modeling - 7/27/2008 5:50:59 PM   
tpope

I was just wondering how much modeling of various communication systems goes into the game. Both basic communications as well as differences between Link 11 and Link 16 (not to mention modeling of differences before Link 11 was in widespread use). Does the game allow for this level of detail, with units dropping out of contact quicker based on older comm gear?
Post #: 1
RE: Communication modeling - 7/27/2008 5:59:40 PM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

Communication modeling is pretty basic. Networked or in-comms systems are limited by compatibility between their gear and the communication range of that equipment. Otherwise, communication is perfect and instant.

There is no difference in quality between the communication systems. We reserve some capabilities in our Professional line of products for representing TDLs, like Link16, and eventually representing throughput and subsets of track information.

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

(in reply to tpope)
Post #: 2
RE: Communication modeling - 7/27/2008 6:30:14 PM   
tpope

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

Communication modeling is pretty basic. Networked or in-comms systems are limited by compatibility between their gear and the communication range of that equipment. Otherwise, communication is perfect and instant.

Just to confirm when you say "in range" does that imply there are different ranges for different pieces of equipment, or it the range simply a constant or an environmental variable based on weather?

quote:

There is no difference in quality between the communication systems. We reserve some capabilities in our Professional line of products for representing TDLs, like Link16, and eventually representing throughput and subsets of track information.

I'd love to see some of that trickle into the commercial version at some point, since I've been doing a lot of reading/thinking lately on communications issues and how information propogates, especially tacitcal information. I imagine there is a fair bit of difference between the verbal equivalent of "they're over there!" and actually sharing tracking data over a TDL.

Thanks

Tom

(in reply to rsharp@advancedgamin)
Post #: 3
Harpoon - 7/27/2008 11:53:19 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: tpope

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

Just to confirm when you say "in range" does that imply there are different ranges for different pieces of equipment, or it the range simply a constant or an environmental variable based on weather?

Range is simply a setting within the Database. i.e. you set the range of a radio to XXX miles. Any unit that is using that piece of equipment must be within that range to exchange data (and line of sight).

(in reply to tpope)
Post #: 4
RE: Harpoon - 7/28/2008 3:27:47 AM   
tpope

That's a start at least.  Thanks.

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Communication modeling Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI