Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CleverDevils2 AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> RE: CleverDevils2 AAR Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/28/2008 9:58:37 PM   
gwheelock

Yah; but like I said earlier; this was actually an "oops" in that I forgot to place the factors & then
clicked past the nag screen too fast.

(in reply to fatfloyd)
Post #: 301
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/29/2008 8:49:22 AM   
bresh

Its been a while with any images from the Turkish empire ?

If he is doing so well, would be nice to see.

Regards
Bresh

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 302
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/29/2008 8:09:59 PM   
gwheelock

Most of the other players don't post battle results.   (& we really havn't had any major battles
since the end of the French/Austrian war and the battle where Russia lost its eastern army)
However; I expect the 4th coalition wars to start soon

It is currently the land phase of Dec of 1806.  I plan to post a set of end-of-year screen shots after the
land phase completes. 

Since you asked; the Turks are doing well.  They have occupied Kamenetz, Kiev, Ekaterinaslav, Sevastapol and Stavropol Russian capitols.  Their main army is stacked at Khotin (Khan + 2 Turkish Regular & 1 Ottoman corp ... I suspect they intentionally stood down the fuedals).  The Russians have managed to move the army that was facing France back to Brest-Litovsk (Kutuzov, 6 Russian Regular, 1 Cav & 1 Danish corp). 
At this point - because of economic conditions - I don't expect any significant battles before spring
(moving 6-8 corp at range 3 in winter is EXPENSIVE)

PP-wise; the Turks are sitting in the 36 zone; Russia is in the 24 zone (but he should drop 2 due to
losing Hamberg & Straslund - both scheduled for this turn).

On the bright side (at least from the FRENCH perspective ); I can now announce that
I FINALLY (since I just managed to replace the Guard factors lost in the Austria war)
have a full 143 factor Nappy army

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 303
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/29/2008 8:17:16 PM   
NeverMan

Simply put, it really doesn't matter.

France has won this game. Turkey is not going to catch France and I highly doubt that there is going to be another coalition war anytime soon. GB and Sp have no interest in doing war with France and so France will dominate Prussia soon enough, it's not his fault, the Pr army just can't stand alone against the Fr, bottom line.

My feeling is that this game is coming to a close shortly and everyone seems to be all the happier for it. No one is really making a move to contest France or do any diplomacy to stop him. He is riding high on both PP and VP and owns most of, or all, or western-central Europe. He will, undoubtedly, soon own Poland.

Personally, I look forward to starting a game with this group from the beginning so as not to be in this position. It will be fun. CleverDevils3 here we come!

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 304
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 12:54:46 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan
... GB and Sp have no interest in doing war with France ...

I put a corps into range of your army where it could build a depot and become 28 4.5 morale factors to add to your army, and what happened? You ran away, leaving my corps to fight the the full Grande Armee all by itself. While I understand completely the running away, I think it's wrong to say that GB doesn't have interest in fighting. In fact, if you look where my forces are, you might notice that I'm poised for a winter strike that could fall to any area of France I choose. With you fighting the Turks, though, I'm not sure I'm going to let the hammer fall.

< Message edited by Jimmer -- 7/30/2008 1:07:25 AM >

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 305
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 1:05:46 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

My feeling is that this game is coming to a close shortly and everyone seems to be all the happier for it. No one is really making a move to contest France or do any diplomacy to stop him. He is riding high on both PP and VP and owns most of, or all, or western-central Europe. He will, undoubtedly, soon own Poland.

I've been OK with this idea since 1.01b. However, I'm glad we didn't. I would currently vote to play on for maybe another six months or so, so as to find remaining bugs with a game nobody cares that much about. I have a feeling there are a few more bugs to shake out, and using an already broken game is a good way to find them.

One thing: We COULD start game 3 while game 2 is still going, with an understanding that we're going to call this game over in the middle of 1807 some time. The risk is that this would slow down both games, possibly to the point of boredom.

------------------

However, I do have to point out that Turkey and Spain are both doing quite well, and by good play. In fact, if the CURRENT pace were kept up, Turkey would be the one who declared the end of the game, not France. However, I don't believe Turkey can keep up the 11 zone long enough.

But, one thing I must say about the Turks: They have done extremely well NOT having taken advantage of any game bugs, save the one where they ended up with an alliance with GB that they otherwise wouldn't have had.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 306
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:26:36 AM   
gwheelock

OK; its now the econ phase of Dec 1806 & here are the political standings

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 307
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:27:27 AM   
gwheelock

and the VP's

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 308
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:30:31 AM   
gwheelock

and here are the end-of-year screenshots ...

Moscow is heavily garrisoned

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 309
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:31:37 AM   
gwheelock

while the Russian army finds winter quarters in Brest-Litovsk

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 310
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:32:55 AM   
gwheelock

And the Turks winter over in Khotin

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 311
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:35:17 AM   
gwheelock

while occupying several of Russia's southern provences

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 312
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:38:49 AM   
gwheelock

meanwhile; Austria has moved the remains of his army to the Turkish boarder.
Could he be planning something??

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwheelock -- 7/30/2008 4:40:12 AM >

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 313
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:44:00 AM   
gwheelock

Italy is mostly Spanish. There are a few problems which still need to be adjusted; however.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 314
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:46:24 AM   
gwheelock

most of France is well garrisoned

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 315
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:48:12 AM   
gwheelock

However; there are a few fleets missing

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 316
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:51:29 AM   
gwheelock

The central minors are all present & accounted for ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 317
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:58:58 AM   
gwheelock

While Napoleon & the Grande Armee seems to be eyeing Prussia ...
Could he be planning on the .... 4th COALITION <gasp>

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 318
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 5:01:49 AM   
gwheelock

Russia meanwhile continues to hold Denmark/Norway

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 319
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 5:04:47 AM   
gwheelock

While Britain holds Sweden (and seems to have designs on Finland ... could this
be a breach of the evil compact between Britain & Russia )

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 320
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 5:07:44 AM   
gwheelock

Britain's home army seems somewhat ... small - even by British standards

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 321
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 5:09:47 AM   
gwheelock

Spain; otoh; seems well defended

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 322
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 5:12:12 AM   
gwheelock

ah ... HERE'S the rest of the British army ... down in Africa & waiting to
stir up trouble no doubt.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 323
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 7:07:35 AM   
delatbabel

quote:

Nah, the French will simply overrun Prussia, destroy the small remnant of the Prussian army that remains, take Poland, and then finish off Austria again. Hopefully Prussia will surrender early this time and get off lightly, while Austria deserves everything it gets for not supporting Prussia in the first war, and Russia will probably catch some of the same once the Polish army is at full strength.

I'd like to see this game continue as an object lesson to players who think that Austria or Prussia can just hold fire while the other one gets destroyed by France. It simply can't be done, doing so means you're out of the game completely unless France decides to let one of you back into the alliance. It's like playing chess, and as your first move handing your queen over to your opponent and saying "look after this for me, if you think I need it give it back to me", expecting that at some point in the game they just might.

--
Del

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 324
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:40:59 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwheelock

While Britain holds Sweden (and seems to have designs on Finland ... could this
be a breach of the evil compact between Britain & Russia )

Actually, no. It's to keep you from gaining control of it should Russia attack it. I haven't yet offered the idea that I could conquer it again for him, or even purchase "war rights" to it for some unspecified price.

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 325
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:55:42 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel
Nah, the French will simply overrun Prussia, destroy the small remnant of the Prussian army that remains, take Poland, and then finish off Austria again. Hopefully Prussia will surrender early this time and get off lightly, while Austria deserves everything it gets for not supporting Prussia in the first war, and Russia will probably catch some of the same once the Polish army is at full strength.

I'd like to see this game continue as an object lesson to players who think that Austria or Prussia can just hold fire while the other one gets destroyed by France. It simply can't be done, doing so means you're out of the game completely unless France decides to let one of you back into the alliance. It's like playing chess, and as your first move handing your queen over to your opponent and saying "look after this for me, if you think I need it give it back to me", expecting that at some point in the game they just might.

I have to defend both the Austrians and the Prussians in this matter, since I don't believe either of them post here.

First, the Prussians were used to games where EVERYBODY declared war before the game started. Face to face, this makes some sense. However, we didn't have any diplomacy prior to using the GAP, so he didn't realize that whatever nation he chose would be all alone in whatever war they chose.

The real lesson in that war isn't how the central powers can be split up (although, that's a corollary). The real lesson is that a nation/coalition getting beaten needs to surrender early. The Prussians waited until their entire army had been decimated before surrenduring.

Regarding the Austrians not joining them, I don't think they should have. Once split up from the Prussians, the Austrians needed help from someone else. The Prussians were never going to be able to help him, nor he them. Remember that the Prussians were largely defeated before Winter was even over. The Austrians, at best, could have occupied a couple of minors in northern Italy.

Now, understand something: Not all French players would have pulled off such a massive defeat of Prussia in so short a time. Nor would they have been able to pull it off against Austria. I've seen such wars last 12-18 months. That's plenty of time for the other to join back in. THIS France is ruthless. He knows how to win and doesn't hold anything back (similar to Napoleon himself, actually). He would not have been distracted by the Austrians picking off cripples in the South, even if they joined the war right away. He would first have continued clobbering the Prussians until they were rendered impotent. Only then would he turn to the Austrians with more than a token force.

As I see it, yes, it's important to try to build the Austria/Prussia coalition early. But, failing to do so is not obviously fatal. But, failing to do so, AND having the Spanish and the Turks actively join in against the coalition, that IS fatal. It's hard beating the French alone or with one of those allies. Having two allies is really hard to defeat, as we are witnessing. It requires excellent play and no small amount of luck.

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 326
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 4:57:00 PM   
gwheelock

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

quote:

Yes; Prussia is in my target sites; since he only has about 50-60 guys; I don't expect him to take very long.

After Prussia comes Russia - not Austria. Russia is still at war with me and with my Turkish ally & I
need to resolve that before the Austrians come 'round again. I am to let Prussia off easily when it comes
to his army; but I NEED an unconditional where I can get Silesia, Masovia & Posen so that I can get
access to Russia.

I'm not sure how much Austria could have done to support Prussia. With the winter movement rules;
Austria couldn't reach most of my stuff before March & by that time; I had killed almost 1/2 of Prussia's
army. (I think that Prussia was too used to playing vs the AI ... and >I< do NOT play like the AI)

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 327
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 5:54:11 PM   
NeverMan

Delatbabel:

I totally agree that the Germans need to stick together, I really don't think they can survive otherwise. Since I picked up this game very late in the year I have no idea what happened to Prussia or why no one bothered to help him, instead just letting France rip right through him.

Jimmer:

I disagree. I don't think that it's very hard for even the novice French player to rip through Prussia by itself, with everyone just standing around watching. AND, as I recall didn't you guys say there was a BUG in the code that made it so Prussia couldn't surrender, or something like that?

Guy:

There will be no COALITION. Apparently few actually want to win and don't mind seeing you overrun the Germans time and time again, even your biggest nemesis (GB) sat by and watched you trounce the Au without giving any army support. I'm not sure Prussia's heart is still in the game and he does not look ready for war. I can't imagine an unconditional being too difficult to get from him (probably fairly easily actually since it doesn't look like he has totally rebuilt his army and it will, again, be him alone). I also am not sure that the Turks will last long enough for you to help him.

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 328
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 6:02:25 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

I disagree. I don't think that it's very hard for even the novice French player to rip through Prussia by itself, with everyone just standing around watching. AND, as I recall didn't you guys say there was a BUG in the code that made it so Prussia couldn't surrender, or something like that?

While you are partly correct, you are missing the major point: That it wouldn't have mattered much if the Austrians joined in. As gwheelock said, he had half the Prussian army dead by March, before anybody else (besides me) could have even moved into his territory. He wasn't about to get distracted by the Austrians until the Prussians are 80% gone.

The bug only delayed the surrender by one month (July vs. June). Further, neither side did any hostile actions during that month, as they had negotiated the surrender in the June diplo phase. France had to exit Berlin before Prussia could surrender.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 329
RE: CleverDevils2 AAR - 7/30/2008 6:07:39 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

Delatbabel:

I totally agree that the Germans need to stick together, I really don't think they can survive otherwise. Since I picked up this game very late in the year I have no idea what happened to Prussia or why no one bothered to help him, instead just letting France rip right through him.

Nobody could. He declared war on France pre-game, and his army was half gone by the end of February. Once it was clear that he was dead, Russia (the former Tsar) decided it wasn't worth trying to help at that time. I actually agree with him, in hindsight. All he could offer the Prussians was about 20 troops and a leader, and that was not going to be enough. 70 die almost as quickly as 50 do, although a halfway decent leader might have helped.

If BOTH the Russians and the Austrians had joined in in March (the first legitimate opportunity), things might have been different. But, they didn't.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> RE: CleverDevils2 AAR Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI