Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Revolutionary Thoughts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Revolutionary Thoughts Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/1/2008 4:02:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan
The only problem I see here is that the AI play is never going to be good, so at what point do you guys stop working on the AI and start working on making the PBEM (or heaven forbid, internet play) better?

I think "never" is a pretty strong word. I think a lot of people who don't have time for a PBEM just want a competent AI opponent and I'm sure we can get there. No AI has ever been as good as a good human opponent, but I think for many having it play a decent game without any bad mistakes will give them the enjoyment they're looking for.

Also, improving PBEM play is a parallel priority for us and Marshall has been spending a fair amount of time looking into PBEM issues and fixing them. Finding a way to streamline PBEM (ideally as an optional "fast PBEM" system that players can choose) is high on our priority list of PBEM improvements, but there are definitely some limitations on what we can and can't do in a reasonable amount of time.

Internet play would be great, but let's take this one step at a time. First, bug fixing and solidifying the existing AI and PBEM play, then we can go further afield and try to satisfy both those who want "classic EIA" and those who want further evolutions and more streamlining.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 61
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/1/2008 4:42:17 PM   
j-s

quote:

ORIGINAL: bresh
Most of my friends are still waiting to buy it, since they dont think its enough EIA yet.
So if you start making devarations, i doubt those ever come and buy.
There are other war games you know, who satisfy other wishes.

I agree with you. Two days ago 4-5 of my friends asked, that "is it still something else than Classic EiA?". They won't buy game before they can get a classic scenario. Before that they will play something else.

If classic scenario is made some day, then we can start PBEM with our old group, many are waiting for this. Before that, I have to play against AI and wait for classic scenario (with original map, dominant powers, corps strengths and naval rules ect.). Until that I will play by PBEM games via Cyberboard.

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 62
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/1/2008 6:16:55 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I don't think there's any harm in discussing options, as long as you all keep in mind that our top priorities remain:

1. Bugs
2. Things that hinder vs. AI play
3. Things that hinder PBEM play

After that, there are things like the game itself, for example the scenario editor, making any "deviations" we can either optional or creating a EIA Classic scenario that avoids them. Obviously, some of these things happen in parallel but discussing something doesn't mean that it's suddenly become the top priority.

Regards,

- Erik

The only problem I see here is that the AI play is never going to be good, so at what point do you guys stop working on the AI and start working on making the PBEM (or heaven forbid, internet play) better?

The AI will be good (already better in this current release) but it will "never" be like your buddy across the table. To coin a phrase just mentioned yesterday "Humans make better mistakes". Emulating human flaws in an AI system is tricky. AI's are much better at "black and white" issues than they are the grey issues.

I hear you on the PBEM / IP side and you are not alone BUT honestly these communities (pbem vs solo vs IP) are about the same sizes (Based on my communications) but that is how it is today. These two genres are not always different nor are they always the same all of the time ... if that makes sense???

In summary, nobody ever said that you can't ask for both :-)

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 63
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/1/2008 8:55:53 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I don't think there's any harm in discussing options, as long as you all keep in mind that our top priorities remain:

1. Bugs
2. Things that hinder vs. AI play
3. Things that hinder PBEM play

After that, there are things like the game itself, for example the scenario editor, making any "deviations" we can either optional or creating a EIA Classic scenario that avoids them. Obviously, some of these things happen in parallel but discussing something doesn't mean that it's suddenly become the top priority.

Regards,

- Erik

The AI will be good (already better in this current release) but it will "never" be like your buddy across the table. To coin a phrase just mentioned yesterday "Humans make better mistakes". Emulating human flaws in an AI system is tricky. AI's are much better at "black and white" issues than they are the grey issues.

I hear you on the PBEM / IP side and you are not alone BUT honestly these communities (pbem vs solo vs IP) are about the same sizes (Based on my communications) but that is how it is today. These two genres are not always different nor are they always the same all of the time ... if that makes sense???

In summary, nobody ever said that you can't ask for both :-)

Marshall, I understand you must work on the AI for market reasons, that's great, good for you and Matrix.

That said, the AI will never be good, period. It just won't. One developer coding/designing 1/2 of his time to an AI of this magnitude (the learning curve on this game is VERY HIGH complexity) will not yield a solid AI.

Some would argue that it is good now simply because you have pumped PP and VP into it, which I whole heartedly disagree. I don't think by simply giving the AI more PP and VP that it makes it good, call me crazy. It won't be "good" until it can mimic and "average" human player, one that understands the game, can make good moves but also makes some bad moves.

If you really want to see how good the AI truly is, strip away the PP and VP pumping and then play. This will reveal the AI for what it is. I don't think most, or anyone for that matter, would consider it good.

Unfortunately, it also seems that, for some reason, everytime a new patch comes out it fixes some old game crash bugs but also it introducing a few new ones, almost like a 1:1 ratio.

Maybe it would be best for Matrix to call this one Empires in Harms and start a new development that will be Empires in Arms? I don't really know.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 64
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/1/2008 9:05:05 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

The AI will be good (already better in this current release) but it will "never" be like your buddy across the table.

Actually, I believe gwheelock has played in a couple games where the real, live humans were no match for your AI. (And, no, G, we don't need their names posted again.)

I've also seen some aspects of the AI that have the seeds of greatness built into them. The problem is that to REALLY have a kicking-AI, you have to incorporate some fuzzy logic and other game theory aspects. Unless you have training in mathematics at the 3rd and 4th year college level, that would be hard to pull off. Look at how long IBM had to work before they could finally defeat all human Chess players. They had a staff of thousands working on that project for over 30 years before it happened (probably longer -- I only know for sure about 30). And, Chess is an extremely simple game compared to EiA.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

Post #: 65
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/1/2008 9:08:24 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

That said, the AI will never be good, period. It just won't. ... I don't really know.

You're right about the second part. You don't really know.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 66
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/1/2008 9:27:15 PM   
Mardonius

Jimmer's comments illuminate what I meant by diminishing marginal returns. At some point the AI is going to be about as good as reasonably expected. Each marginal return would demand a heavier investment of time (=money) that could be perhaps better spent on some variant development.

Don't neglect reasonable AI improvements/bug reduction, but keep other options open when that brick wall has been reached.

Some of these variants could be from the "good book", i.e. omitted variants from the original EiA game and others could be more HERETICAL options like those I previously noted, such as:

Minor Country Improved Morale with training. (Yours truly wrote his MA thesis on this little matter for the Portuguese. Moreover, I have had some first hand exposure to training/modernizing certain armies myself.) The old AH rules allowed for an optional rule the Brits to improve the Portuguese and the Hanoverians to a 4.0 morale with 24 months of continuous training. I would love to see other nations have the option of training them as well to say 0.5 below their own morale. So the French to 3.5 and the Spanish et alias to 2.5. I would expand this to other nations as well up to a certain limit. I would allow the gaming group to select what countries (say Holland, Denmark for example) could be trained and to what level and by whom. AND FOR THOSE WHO SAY THIS NEVER HAPPENED, REMEMBER (1) BARON STEUBEN IN THE US (2) FRANCE AND THE PONDICHERRY SEPOYS (3) BRITAIN AND THEIR INDIAN ARMY (4) EUROPEAN (MOSTLY FRENCH)OFFICERS AND THE TURKISH NEZAMI CEDID (5) FRENCH TRAINING OF MANY OF THEIR MINORS AND THE TRANSITION TO SKIRMISHER AND COLUMN TACTICS (6) THE LATE WAR SPANISH ARMY... Same holds true for other eras, including the current one.

Increased Corps Size. Allow nations to spend money and time to increase certain of their Corps. Must be in a step function and within reason.

Increase number of corps a nation can produce. Start with their smallest and perhaps could be improved as noted above.
Could apply to some minors as well.

Increase number of depots with expenditures of time and money.

Increase number of fleets with expenditures of time and money.

Allow certain minors (e.g. North Africa) to build light fleets.

Improve fortifications or harbor guns with expenditure of time/money.

I would also consider having a portion of the Privateer monies go to the privateering state. This was the common practice of the day.

added option not from original post: limit use of North African Manpower to the Turks as no other power was able to use their manpower despite repeated occupations

added option: not from original post: Increase guerrilla geographies to reflect historical realities (Portugal, Naples, Sicily, much of North Africa)

A scenari editor could allow us to change this one camapign to a series of campaigns covering from around 1700 to around 1860. Think of the possibilities (and customer base, which equals $) that could be gained by having a Seven Years War Scenario or a War of Italian Unification campaign.

Yes, we do need the Classic EiA scenario. Just don't forget that perhaps this same engine can pull a whole lot of other weight if marketed correctly.

Just some more heretical thoughts.

Semper Fidelis,

Mardonius the EiA Apostate

"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 67
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/1/2008 9:36:06 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

And, Chess is an extremely simple game compared to EiA.

Are you being sarcastic?

There is nothing "simple" about Chess other than learning how the pieces move.

pzn: I guess I really don't know, but I'm sure we can all wait and find out.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 68
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/1/2008 10:08:47 PM   
gwheelock

quote:

quote:

Are you being sarcastic?

Actually; Jimmer is right. I can write the rules of chess on a single piece of paper, the EIA rulebook is 48 pages.
Chess never had a rule 8.2.1.2.2.2.2 (I think thats the deepest drill-down in EIA).
Chess has 6 types of unit (King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, Pawn); I'm not even sure
just how many EIA has if you count all the various morale variations; 0, 1 or 2 step guard comit options, etc.
Chess is completely deterministic game (ie. there are no dice rolls to screw up "the best laid plans...")

And yet; after 30 + years (probably closer to 40), millions of $ and tens of thousands of manhours of effort by some of
the brightest minds in academia & industry - we still do not have a complete "map" of the
chess universe & a chess program that can beat a human grand-master is very recent
phenomana (& THAT was only managed by applying enough brute computer horsepower
to be able to look at thousands of result sets that would appear after just a couple of <potential> moves)

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 69
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/1/2008 10:23:14 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

Perhaps the more complicated the rules, the easier it is for a computer to beat a human.

For example, try beating a computer program that playes tic tac toe.

There was one computer game published that had a very strong AI.  It was a port of Steve Jackson's OGRE.

The reason its AI was strong was that the situation was simple enough to use Brute Force to calculate the possibilities far enough ahead to find near perfect or perfect play.

I would also point out that there have been chess computers for many many years that could handle 90% (conservatively) of the players out there.

So, again, the pattern holds.

Just my opinon on AIs in general.  Not making any comments about the AI for this game.

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 70
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/2/2008 4:34:58 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwheelock

quote:

quote:

Are you being sarcastic?

Actually; Jimmer is right. I can write the rules of chess on a single piece of paper, the EIA rulebook is 48 pages.
Chess never had a rule 8.2.1.2.2.2.2 (I think thats the deepest drill-down in EIA).
Chess has 6 types of unit (King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, Pawn); I'm not even sure
just how many EIA has if you count all the various morale variations; 0, 1 or 2 step guard comit options, etc.
Chess is completely deterministic game (ie. there are no dice rolls to screw up "the best laid plans...")

And yet; after 30 + years (probably closer to 40), millions of $ and tens of thousands of manhours of effort by some of
the brightest minds in academia & industry - we still do not have a complete "map" of the
chess universe & a chess program that can beat a human grand-master is very recent
phenomana (& THAT was only managed by applying enough brute computer horsepower
to be able to look at thousands of result sets that would appear after just a couple of <potential> moves)

You're both wrong because you are equating the difficulty of the game with the amount of rules. Simply because a game has many many rules does not make it difficult and vice versa.

Jimmer was saying that EiA is a much more complex and harder game to master than Chess, and I simply disagree. GO is another game with very simple rules yet is extremely difficult to master.

I honestly can't believe that anyone thinks otherwise.

< Message edited by NeverMan -- 8/2/2008 4:35:30 AM >

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 71
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/2/2008 7:18:15 AM   
gwheelock

No; what Jimmer & I are saying is that the programming difficulty of a game
is proportional to the number of options in the game (rules, counter types, etc).

Each one of those rules has to be incorporated into the code.  (Rules ARE
code - its just code for humans instead of machines) & to create
an AI that can handle all of those options is also proportional.

And I DO believe that to MASTER (at the level equivalent to a chess
grand-master) EIA IS more difficult than Chess or GO - its just that
we don't HAVE an "EIA Grand-Master" level of player

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 72
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/2/2008 3:09:58 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

is proportional to the number of options in the game (rules, counter types, etc).

Actually I believe that Jimmer was saying to program the AI in EiA was more difficult than to program the AI in a Chess game. I agree that the more rules in a game the more prog., just not about the AI.

Well, I guess we will have to disagree that EiA is more difficult than Chess or GO because I don't believe that. Is RISK (which I haven't played since I was 12) more difficult since it has more rules than Chess?

< Message edited by NeverMan -- 8/2/2008 3:10:19 PM >

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 73
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/2/2008 3:46:55 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Well for my 2 cents, from a programming standpoint EiANW was VERY complicated! Don't get me wrong, I think the EiA design is awesome and very well balanced but balance comes in different ways.

For example:

Turkey is poor BUT she has the feudals.
Great Britain has few troops BUT she has a huge navy.
Spain is lower middle class but has a decent navy, Spanish gold and guerillas.
bla bla bla

My point is that this game is not a linear balanced system like Risk where everybody starts with the same amount of armies and nations. This creates all sorts of special code for a specific nation i.e. Turkey can take a ONLY a feudal unit on the board and move it to its home province and raise it to full strength BUT only Turkey can do this and ONLY in December LOL! I'm surprised I didn't get a drug problem from those type of requirements!

As far as complexity? You bet! No one can tell me that doing a supply step or eco phase is easier than Risk. This is simply a complex game but these are 2 different things IMO. The game flow is complex because of all the rules but this is not what makes it difficult to master that is where the design comes in. It's simply a great game design.

Anyway, my unsolicited two cents.

< Message edited by Marshall Ellis -- 8/2/2008 3:47:56 PM >

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 74
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/2/2008 8:48:12 PM   
RayKinStL

quote:

While I agree the AI is harder to program in EiA, this is stictly because of the brute force approach computers can take to chess. Even then however, you clearly have no understanding of the YEARS it took programmers from huge companies like IBM to get computers to understand simple things like piece value, positional weaknesses, and how to attack with a plan. On a technical level, most AI for chess prgrams are dumb. They just have a simple calculation of piece value and utulize the massive processing power available nowadays to play a competent game until a human player makes a mistake.

That said, if you HONESTLY believe that mastering EiA would be harder than mastering chess, you are dillusional and have obviously never tried to play chess at a high level. While the "simple rules" make it easier for an AI to be coded and take advantage of brute force, it is also these simple rules and the number of possible moves that make chess FAR FAR FAR more complex than EiA. As both a chess player and an EiA player, I can assure you that while it took a game for me to get to a respectable level of play as far as EiA is concerned, it took YEARS before I really saw vast improvements in my chess game. Further, I sit here now, having played chess for 14 years almost, and I am still a simple class B player. While I really do respect everyone's opinions on these forums, the notion that EiA is harder to master or more complex than chess is simply ludicrous.

< Message edited by RayKinStL -- 8/2/2008 8:49:01 PM >

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 75
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/2/2008 9:08:08 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

Well for my 2 cents, from a programming standpoint EiANW was VERY complicated! Don't get me wrong, I think the EiA design is awesome and very well balanced but balance comes in different ways.

For example:

bla bla bla

My point is that this game is not a linear balanced system like Risk where everybody starts with the same amount of armies and nations. This creates all sorts of special code for a specific nation i.e. Turkey can take a ONLY a feudal unit on the board and move it to its home province and raise it to full strength BUT only Turkey can do this and ONLY in December LOL! I'm surprised I didn't get a drug problem from those type of requirements!

As far as complexity? You bet! No one can tell me that doing a supply step or eco phase is easier than Risk. This is simply a complex game but these are 2 different things IMO. The game flow is complex because of all the rules but this is not what makes it difficult to master that is where the design comes in. It's simply a great game design.

Marshall, the whole Risk analogy was purposefully silly (since Risk is such a silly game) for guys like Guy and Jimmer who believe that simply because a game has more rules that it is harder to master, which is just absurd.

Please don't compare Risk to EiA, as I have not. Risk is a VERY simple game that I have had no desire to even look at since I was 12 (started playing EiA at 15).

It is also obviuos that niether Guy nor Jimmer have played Chess even at the most intermediate level.

Post #: 76
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/2/2008 11:52:29 PM   
RayKinStL

One other thing I will add on the chess vs EiA debate.  Like it or not, the game still comes down to die rolls.  I can make the best decisions all game, but if I roll nothing higher than 3s, I wont get very far.  Like it or not, EiA is still a game of chance/luck.  Yes there are rules that seek to reduce this variable when compared to a game like Risk, but EiA will never possess the intricacy and strategy involved in a game of chess.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 77
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/3/2008 2:06:34 AM   
gwheelock

quote:

ORIGINAL: RayKinStL

quote:

While I agree the AI is harder to program in EiA, this is stictly because of the brute force approach computers can take to chess. Even then however, you clearly have no understanding of the YEARS it took programmers from huge companies like IBM to get computers to understand simple things like piece value, positional weaknesses, and how to attack with a plan. On a technical level, most AI for chess prgrams are dumb. They just have a simple calculation of piece value and utulize the massive processing power available nowadays to play a competent game until a human player makes a mistake.

That said, if you HONESTLY believe that mastering EiA would be harder than mastering chess, you are dillusional and have obviously never tried to play chess at a high level. While the "simple rules" make it easier for an AI to be coded and take advantage of brute force, it is also these simple rules and the number of possible moves that make chess FAR FAR FAR more complex than EiA. As both a chess player and an EiA player, I can assure you that while it took a game for me to get to a respectable level of play as far as EiA is concerned, it took YEARS before I really saw vast improvements in my chess game. Further, I sit here now, having played chess for 14 years almost, and I am still a simple class B player. While I really do respect everyone's opinions on these forums, the notion that EiA is harder to master or more complex than chess is simply ludicrous.

You say that you learned EIA in 1 game; fine. You can also "learn" chess in 1 or 2 games. What I am saying is that
to TOTALLY MASTER EIA to a level equivalent to a chess master or grandmaster would also take many years. By defintion;
a grandmaster can ALWAYS beat EVERYONE of a lesser rank - ALWAYS. We don't have anyone of that rank in EIA - AT ALL
(not one will ALWAYS be able to beat their opponants). You would be better off for comparison purposes to compare how
long it takes for someone to learn CASUAL chess - not expert ... because that is what most current EIAers are.

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 78
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/3/2008 5:46:45 AM   
RayKinStL

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RayKinStL

quote:

You say that you learned EIA in 1 game; fine. You can also "learn" chess in 1 or 2 games. What I am saying is that
to TOTALLY MASTER EIA to a level equivalent to a chess master or grandmaster would also take many years. By defintion;
a grandmaster can ALWAYS beat EVERYONE of a lesser rank - ALWAYS. We don't have anyone of that rank in EIA - AT ALL
(not one will ALWAYS be able to beat their opponants). You would be better off for comparison purposes to compare how
long it takes for someone to learn CASUAL chess - not expert ... because that is what most current EIAers are.

First of all, no most people don't learn how to play chess in 1 game. They may learn HOW the pieces move, but to even play the game at a beginner level takes numerous games. Second of all, that is not how ratings work at all. Often times, grandmasters lose to International Masters, Masters, or even Experts. There are no absolutes in chess. The reason we have no one like that in EiA is very simple to understand and I can explain it with one word...DICE! The fact that this game involves a die, and thus luck and chance, means that it will never be even close to on the same level as the game of chess. In chess, when you drop a piece againt a competen opponent, that is almost guaranteed to be the end. But in EiA, you can select Cordon as a defense against an Outflank, and the die rolls can still see you lose, even though you are in a favorable position. I love EiA, but the fact is that if someone called it a glorified version of Risk, I could not argue against that. Yes the rules are more intricate and there are different gameplay elements implemented to reduce chance and reward strategic thinking, but at the end of the turn, it still comes down to who rolls the better numbers on the die, and such is the same case in a game like Risk. It is absurd to even compare EiA to chess, and the fake that you even attempt to shows me how you know little to probably nothing about the game of chess. Please just stop arguing such a stupid point because it really is not even close to valid.

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 79
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/3/2008 6:29:45 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

It is also obviuos that niether Guy nor Jimmer have played Chess even at the most intermediate level.

Yes, I've played chess competitively. 1600s somewhere when I retired (class C, as I recall).

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 80
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/3/2008 2:40:39 PM   
Thresh

The inclusion of dice does not mean luck and chance area part of the game, it means there are additional  probabilities to take into account.  There are several layers of probability in the game, each adding a layer of complexity that takes newer (and sometimes older) players more than a few games to get through, and someof us still struggle.

Luck is probability taken personally.  If you don't take the time to consider all the odds involved (and in EiA that can be quite a few), the you shouldn't be surprised when you lose when you "think" you should win.  More often than not, the odds of you actually winning were a lot less than you think they were.  Yes, you may have had a chance to win, but the odds of success were not in your favor, making that particular course of action bad.

Army composition, leader effects,terrain effects, and chit picks are all things that need to be taken into account, and IMO chit picks are the hardest to judge, especially in PbEM games because it's harder to gauge an opponent that way.  They add a level of probality thats hard to quantify because they are not set instone (like die rolls are).  Sure Mack be a 1.3.4 leader, but what if he does pull the outflank "just because?"  The probability of that happening is quite low, but its these elements that make such probabilities  harder to take into account.  Die rolls are easy, I can guarentee the odds on those every time, but the additional elements of chit picks and potential morale changes add to thelevels...

But to simply make a move, roll some dice, and then explain things away as bad luck is simplistic inthe extreme.

Todd

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 81
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/3/2008 2:56:22 PM   
NeverMan

Dice are a part of the game. You cannot fully account for dice, I don't care how good your strategy is. I've seen VERY expereinced and GOOD players that have good strategies lose a war against a newbie because of dice rolls. Its utterly amazing what a 1 vs. 6 will do a few times in a game.

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 82
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/3/2008 5:09:33 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

quote:

For example:

bla bla bla

Marshall, the whole Risk analogy was purposefully silly (since Risk is such a silly game) for guys like Guy and Jimmer who believe that simply because a game has more rules that it is harder to master, which is just absurd.

Please don't compare Risk to EiA, as I have not. Risk is a VERY simple game that I have had no desire to even look at since I was 12 (started playing EiA at 15).

Neverman:

Don't take this wrong, I was not using (or trying to slam) your Risk analogy but using my own Risk analogy to demonstrate linear balance versus EiA balance. We're on the same page.

< Message edited by Marshall Ellis -- 8/3/2008 5:10:17 PM >

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 83
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/3/2008 5:19:25 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

I honestly think there ar multiple aspects that we are debating.
I don't think this is apples to apples but:

Chess is a VERY simple game to play BUT extremely difficult to master.

EiA is difficult to play and really cannot be mastered. This is no slam to Chess since this is just not a good comparison. The discussion about dice is spot on. Chess totally relies on your brain to win. In EiANW if my 8 year old rolls sixes the entire game (Understanding this is a mathematical near impossibility) then he will smoke anybody that does not roll sixes the whole game LOL!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

Post #: 84
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/3/2008 7:55:59 PM   
eske

From the programmers perspective assessing the complexity of a game has nothing to do with his ability to play or even understand the game.
In games like chess and go, where two players alternately change the state of the game (makes a move) one undividable action at the time, the program only needs two parts to play the game: a gametree searching algorithm and an evaluation function. If the computer has time to generate the complete gametree the evaluation algorithm only needs to determine who won, and the program will play perfectly. And the programmer has a method of building this program without ever having played it. Not difficult. Just work. The more special situations the game contains, the more work.
Fortunatelty for the enjoyment of playing chess or go, the gametree for those games grows so fast for each move forward, that the program most of the time cannot build a complete gametree. A chess player has on average 30 or so possiible moves each turn. So two moves (I go, you go) generates 900 positions or nodes in the game tree. Two moves more, and it is 810000 positions. Go is a filling game with 361 possible opening moves, then 360, 359, 358 etc. From the beginning four moves generates 16702719120 positions. This is the way game complexity is measured mathematically. And go is thus more complex than chess. And to no ones surprise it has proven harder to make a strong go program than a strong chess program.
The mathematical game-complexity does however not tell much about how hard it is to play, since the human brain basicly is a pattern recognition device, which is not very fast at searching gametrees.

And to conclude this little lecture the game complexity of EiA cannot be measured this way. There are 7 players, each players phase contains multiple actions, that changes the game state (with 10 land corps each having at least 10 independant possible ending positions each player has at least 10 billion possible land moves!), a player does not have full information of the game state, part of the game is random, part of the game is diplomatic negotiations (And I could go on...)
So it is not possible to build a complete gametree and it makes no sense to do it. There is no way to compare the game complexity of EiA with that of chess and go objectively.

So what is the programmer to do, to address this hydra of a game. I can think of three tools: divide the game into a number of smaller interacting games, which is more or less what EiA is. The cost of this is local optimization, where decisions lack global purpose. Use rules of thumb (heuristics) to compare positions. And use rules of thumb to make near-optimal decisions.

All in all a totally different ballgame - for the programmer. What he needs most to build a system of thumbrules is lots and lots of game-experience. And we - the players - are the largest resource there is. So guys. If you want this program to play well, you better volunteer your little secrets to the benefit of the programmer, right !

Now I'm sure Marshall has plenty to do, so it has to be only the essence in its purest possible form, to increase direct usablilty, ok? And I'm sure the AI's gameplay will grow with each update to come. 

Now back to your revolution, Mardonius

/eske

Alea iacta est

Post #: 85
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/3/2008 9:03:57 PM   
Mardonius

Thanks Eske. But now I have had a few moments during this math storm to throw a few dice and sharpen my guillotines. Got the mob with pitchforks and torches too.

I would think that we might want to find some threshold that indicates AI fruition, lest -- for reasons noted above -- we chase those diminishing marginal returns down little rabbit holes until our halcyon days. I'd love to hear what an acceptable AI is.

Bugs, of course, need to be reduced to enhance playability. I fear, too, that at some point -- don't think we are there yet -- that these enhancements will become asymptotical as well and we will never quite get there.

And so my revanche, my rejoinder, my storming of the Bastille! We should soon dedicate some portion of our work on game options (OPTIONS) including some of those, perhaps I noted above and some of the classical EiA options/scenarios as well. I, for one, would love to see the French Revolutionary Scenario, maybe a Seven Years War Scenario etc.

Sic Semper Tyrannis,

Mardonius

"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to eske)
Post #: 86
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 12:49:44 AM   
gwheelock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mardonius

Thanks Eske. But now I have had a few moments during this math storm to throw a few dice and sharpen my guillotines. Got the mob with pitchforks and torches too.

I would think that we might want to find some threshold that indicates AI fruition, lest -- for reasons noted above -- we chase those diminishing marginal returns down little rabbit holes until our halcyon days. I'd love to hear what an acceptable AI is.

Sic Semper Tyrannis,

Mardonius

I would suggest a variation of the "Turing Test".

A recap for non-programmers - (taken from Wikipedia) :

The Turing test is a proposal for a test of a machine's capability to demonstrate intelligence. Described by Alan Turing in the 1950 paper "Computing Machinery and Intelligence," it proceeds as follows: a human judge engages in a natural language conversation with one human and one machine, each of which try to appear human; if the judge cannot reliably tell which is which, then the machine is said to pass the test. In order to test the machine's intelligence rather than its ability to render words into audio, the conversation is limited to a text-only channel such as a computer keyboard and screen (Turing originally suggested a teletype machine, one of the few text-only communication systems available in 1950.

(FYI - The Turing test hasn't [yet] been met except in very restricted conditions [some people have
mistaken a program called "Eliza" for a human who was making fun of them & got rather upset with "him"])

What I would suggest as a measure of an AI "good enough" to be labeled as "done" would be if you cannot
tell the difference between the AI's play or that of an AVERAGE (not EXPERT) human player; then I would
conclude the AI is done.

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 87
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 12:40:16 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Interesting test. I like that. "Done" will be tricky. I don't think it will ever please all people so there will always be an element that thinks it should do more or act differently.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 88
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 2:56:54 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mardonius

Sic Semper Tyrannis,

Mardonius

I would suggest a variation of the "Turing Test".

A recap for non-programmers - (taken from Wikipedia) :

The Turing test is a proposal for a test of a machine's capability to demonstrate intelligence. Described by Alan Turing in the 1950 paper "Computing Machinery and Intelligence," it proceeds as follows: a human judge engages in a natural language conversation with one human and one machine, each of which try to appear human; if the judge cannot reliably tell which is which, then the machine is said to pass the test. In order to test the machine's intelligence rather than its ability to render words into audio, the conversation is limited to a text-only channel such as a computer keyboard and screen (Turing originally suggested a teletype machine, one of the few text-only communication systems available in 1950.

(FYI - The Turing test hasn't [yet] been met except in very restricted conditions [some people have
mistaken a program called "Eliza" for a human who was making fun of them & got rather upset with "him"])

What I would suggest as a measure of an AI "good enough" to be labeled as "done" would be if you cannot
tell the difference between the AI's play or that of an AVERAGE (not EXPERT) human player; then I would
conclude the AI is done.

I think the Turing test would be an impossible target and in my opinion an unrealistic one. The fundamental fact is that humans do not think like computers so getting a computer to play like a human is even harder than getting it to play competantly.

Computers can play chess better than humans but they don't think about it the same way and they don't play like humans. To beat a human and a chess computer over the board requires different optimal techniques (when playing at a high level), but the computers eventually outpaced the humans, not by playing chess 'better' but by sheer brute force computing power.

In fact the entire computer chess development is a dead end as far as real AI is concerned. It doesn't give any sort of insight into true intelligence, it's just brute force computing in a limited environment.

Regards
David

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 89
RE: Revolutionary Thoughts - 8/4/2008 4:07:00 PM   
Mardonius

Gents:

I think it would be a pretty poor use of time and resources to pursue the level of AI mentioned in the Turing Test. I am no genius, but if the test has not been met in 50 years, is it a smart level of AI to pursue? Hmmmm....

So, then, I posit: if this medium level of intelligence is not realistically obtainable, as the Turing Test pursuit reveals, why are investing in further AI development?

And if we do think we should continue, what is a realistic (REALISTIC) goal? When will be satisfied?

Mssr Withworth is spot on when he points out that the brute force calculations ala chess won't even come close to the diplomacy subtleties of EiA. So good luck with trying to get a HAL equal to kick its fellows out the pod bay door.

I think we should all set our expectation-phasers to "AI=teaching tool". This is, most of all, a diplomacy game. Some may differ, but they'd be wrong.

Just some thoughts...

But those options (OPTIONS) might not be so hard to achieve. Maybe we should put some of our efforts there?

On with the Revolution!!!

Semper Fi,
Mardonius

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: Revolutionary Thoughts Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI