Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The good, the bad, the...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> The good, the bad, the... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The good, the bad, the... - 8/6/2008 4:45:32 AM   
takati97realm

For those on the fence...
The war for Europe takes place at with units/counters at the division and Corps/Army level. Key cities and several resource locations serve as production points to build new forces, and buy other points for transportation etc. Strategic movement points is also replenished every turn.

Key leaders are present, and give a big boost to units combat wise.

While leaders gain experience, units do not. Why don't units gain experience?

It is possible to cut supplies off from the enemy. This facet is either way to easy or I am a strategic genius.

Naval combat...needs to be reworked. While I don't mind the "quick" sim of combat, the numbers of UK ships to German subs is all out of whack. (In my opinion, don't have any data handy to confirm, but the numbers don't seem to add up ship wise, which just means your subs get blown out of the Atlantic the first turn).

The game is extremely easy to just pick up and jump into.

Objectives on how to "eliminate" an opponent could be more clear. Case being I captured Warsaw as the Germans, and then Poland surrendered. I captured paris, and nothing happened. Not that this in and of is self is bad, but when you capture the major city, and have already eliminated all the major units in Northern France and nothing happens... The diplomacy options are limited. While you can influence a nation to support your alliance, there are no peace or surrender options.

PbEm I hear is coming so that will be a big plus for this game.

If you have played Strategic Command from battlefront DO NOT get this game.

WW2: Road to Victory is just a fancy dressed strategic command. Which I loved Strategic Command for what it was. Which I paid $20-25 for...

For those looking for historical accuracy and depth, look elsewhere. For those looking for something a little more in depth than a beer & pretzels game, this may be for you.

Personally, I feel it wasn't worth the $39.99 price tag.

< Message edited by takati97realm -- 8/6/2008 4:48:07 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: The good, the bad, the... - 8/6/2008 4:54:40 AM   
pasternakski

Your opinion, of course, and welcome to it.

PBEM will shortly be a reality in the first patch, which is imminent.

It is hard to respond to a series of conclusory statements, but I will attempt to do so with one of my own: this game, though simple, is hard to resist, even for the experienced wargamer, particularly if you like a strategic emphasis.

My approach so far has been to restrain my criticism pending learning more about how to play. The more time I have spent, the more fun it has become.

One wants to refrain from expecting too much from a game that never advertised itself as being more than it is.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to takati97realm)
Post #: 2
RE: The good, the bad, the... - 8/6/2008 9:59:17 AM   
Severian

I've already played 1.20 version and after surviving Russian Winter, problems with partisans and multiple Soviet division I must say - it's not easy "beer & pretzels game"

War, war never changes... but are you sure? Bitter Glory

Put an apple in your mouth, we'll play Wilhelm Tell - "Hawkeye" Pierce to Frank Burns

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 3
RE: The good, the bad, the... - 8/6/2008 3:45:01 PM   
Mickrocks201

Hopefully the AI has been improved in 1.20. I just played a '41 game as US/BRITAIN and after taking out North africa - which was fun and a little challenging though AI left itself vulnerable to getting cut off from supplies often - I invade Greece for practice. I hope at some point there is a way to supply invasion hexes, but for now you better take a port city first turn of invasion or the force is dead.

After taking Athens and moving north the AI thru a few units in my path but for the most part I had an easy time expanding thru the Balkins capturing the German Minor Allies one by one. Even without US air power I was able to get a German surrender by Fall of 43. granted I took lots of "flank" risks once I knew the AI was very reluctant to attack. I also figured out how to crack even the most well defended city with airpower multi-alliance attacks and bombardments if available. Was alot of fun doing it the first time - but I would hope the AI could be made offer a real challenge at some point.

(in reply to Severian)
Post #: 4
RE: The good, the bad, the... - 8/6/2008 7:13:11 PM   
jbunnelle

<<While leaders gain experience, units do not.>>

Sorry, I have a real problem with this. Rarely have I seen such a system in place where units gain no experience whatsoever. Can someone who owns the game share some insight on how this works, or doesn't? Thanks.

(in reply to Mickrocks201)
Post #: 5
RE: The good, the bad, the... - 8/6/2008 8:31:31 PM   
SeaMonkey

How about if you deselect a previously selected  unit that has remaining movement/action points can you later come back and use the remainder in the same turn?

(in reply to jbunnelle)
Post #: 6
RE: The good, the bad, the... - 8/6/2008 8:36:39 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey

How about if you deselect a previously selected  unit that has remaining movement/action points can you later come back and use the remainder in the same turn?

Yes.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 7
RE: The good, the bad, the... - 8/6/2008 8:41:39 PM   
Severian

You can select/deselect unit whenever you want - action points won't dissapear 

War, war never changes... but are you sure? Bitter Glory

Put an apple in your mouth, we'll play Wilhelm Tell - "Hawkeye" Pierce to Frank Burns

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> The good, the bad, the... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI