Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 8:39:25 PM   
ttjhowell

This obviously isn't a competition because it would depend on what scenario and at what stage the game is, but I'm sure I would win (loose?) if it were.

From a clean boot then double clicking on the game, then getting through the "YOUR FILES ARE BEING ORGANISED SIR!" screen then immediately clicking through both of the intros and then getting through the splash screen to the main menu... Always exactly 75 seconds.

From selecting my turn and waiting at the loading screen then getting to the password box... Around 2min 30s to 2min 45s. I using a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a 1.5GHz Intel processor with 1/2 gig of ram. I'm playing CHS scenario 157 in mid '42.

Can you beat that?!

Actually the slow load up times are a blessing. I find I can do things like take out the trash, empty the dishwater use the loo and still come back and be waiting for the password querrybox to pop up. Brilliant! I am so lucky

Post #: 1
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 8:57:24 PM   
jwxspoon

Here's what is amazing.  My desktop is AMD64 X2 4600+, 4 GB Ram, dual nvidia 7900GS SLI cards... my new $700 Toshiba laptop SMOKES it in terms of starting and running WITP.  Drives me crazy.

jw

(in reply to ttjhowell)
Post #: 2
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 9:02:06 PM   
VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwxspoon

Here's what is amazing.  My desktop is AMD64 X2 4600+, 4 GB Ram, dual nvidia 7900GS SLI cards... my new $700 Toshiba laptop SMOKES it in terms of starting and running WITP.  Drives me crazy.

jw

Let me guess: old notebook: WinXP, new desktop: Vista?

(in reply to jwxspoon)
Post #: 3
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 9:49:30 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

jw

Don't you have that reversed VSWG? I thought it was Vista that was the preposterously slow memory hog?

quote:

Actually the slow load up times are a blessing. I find I can do things like take out the trash, empty the dishwater use the loo and still come back and be waiting for the password querrybox to pop up. Brilliant! I am so lucky

Heh! Sorta like waiting for AE to come out eh!?

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 4
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 10:02:46 PM   
VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

jw

Don't you have that reversed VSWG? I thought it was Vista that was the preposterously slow memory hog?

I thought jwxspoon said that his old notebook (WinXP?) runs WitP much faster than his new machine (probably Vista)?

EDIT: Now I see what you mean, you're right. Still, the notebook is much less powerful than the desktop, so maybe it's faster because it has XP installed?

< Message edited by VSWG -- 8/6/2008 10:13:14 PM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 5
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 10:09:11 PM   
niceguy2005

How fast does the game itself run.  It seems to me that some of the startup animations might have some quirks to them and some computers could have troubles with them.  I know my startup runs a little slowish, but the game is smoking fast.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 6
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 10:17:33 PM   
Anthropoid

I got a 1.8GHz AMD 64 Athlon with 1G of memory and the game runs fine. Some of the behind the scenes calculations seem after giving orders seem to take a bit of time, but that might partly be that I have animations and ~1.5 sec for most message screens turned on.

Soon though I will four--count them! FOUR!--gigs of memory and a MUCH better vidi card Mwahahahaha!

I'll time my startup and let you know next time ttjhowell.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 7
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 10:41:45 PM   
eloso

I had an AMD Athlon XP 3200 with 2 GB of RAM. The game would boot in about 25 seconds. This system died in May and I rebuilt a 2.4 GHz Quad core (Intel chip) with 4 GB of RAM. The game now takes 3 times as long to boot. I don't notice any difference in replay execution nor in display/scrolling performance.

Both systems have/had the same OS (WinXP pro). I have a Vista Ultimate partition on the new rig but don't use it that often. When I do use it, it is for taking advantage of DX10. I have not tried installing WiTP on the Vista partition to see if it makes a difference.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 8
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 11:03:10 PM   
wdolson

The good news is that WitP AE takes about the same amount of time to start and run a turn as the original.  I've measured about 10% longer.  We've done a lot of improvements in that area, which are offset by the added complexity of the game.

I run AE on two different computers and I usually have lots of other things loaded like the development environment and sometimes the editor or Excel.  One machine is 1.5 Ghz and I think the other is 1.3 Ghz.  I think my load times are slightly faster  than ttjhowell, but I forget what I measured right now.

What eats up the most time is drawing the map.  Anything that requires a map redraw will have a delay.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 9
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 11:19:05 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The good news is that WitP AE takes about the same amount of time to start and run a turn as the original. 

Yeah, yeah, Bill, rub it in. You got the goods, and we's all just down in the hood...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 10
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/6/2008 11:23:06 PM   
Nomad

For those of you running XP, try right clicking on the desktop icon, choose properties, choose compatability tab, and select "run this program in compability mode for" and select Win 98/Windows Me. It might work for Vista too, but I don't know. It cut my loading times to 8 seconds and 17 seconds. I also have renamed the Video folder to No_Video to completly bypass that.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 8/6/2008 11:24:05 PM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 11
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/7/2008 4:06:01 AM   
Anthropoid

I kinda like the video . . . you can just type a keyboard key (might need to be Esc) to bypass it when it gets boring. But I'll try that Win 98 compat mode thing.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 12
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/7/2008 9:50:09 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The good news is that WitP AE takes about the same amount of time to start and run a turn as the original.  I've measured about 10% longer.  We've done a lot of improvements in that area, which are offset by the added complexity of the game.

Bill

That's only here say. Now if I had a copy.....

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 13
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/7/2008 2:46:49 PM   
Anthropoid

Is there a way to advance purchase AE?

Now I too am really starting to suffer the anticipatory twitches . . . reminds me of this caver-girlfriend tease who once caused me tremendous chaffing from all the clothed dry rubbing . . .

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 14
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/7/2008 7:10:46 PM   
hawker

Just check my time on lap. Toshiba dualcore with 2 gb ram and 1.8 ghz proc. with Vista OS

14.5 seconds takes from click the icon to PBEM

Vista rules

Fortess fortuna iuvat

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 15
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/7/2008 7:18:14 PM   
ttjhowell

quote:

I kinda like the video . . . you can just type a keyboard key (might need to be Esc) to bypass it when it gets boring. But I'll try that Win 98 compat mode thing.

I did this and I'm still at exactely 75 seconds. Just seems like this is the number for me. I should add that the game runs just fine when it is loaded. The only problem being that if I click on a part of the map I haven't been to before in that session then it takes a second or two to load, but otherwise ok. So it's liveable. I like the zen element of waiting for the turns to load. Oh so I convince myself at least.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 16
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/7/2008 7:56:53 PM   
R8J

45 seconds....seems like an hour

(in reply to ttjhowell)
Post #: 17
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/7/2008 8:47:00 PM   
bradfordkay

I use the Elf's pinup loading screens, so I relish the time it takes to load the game or a save...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to R8J)
Post #: 18
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/7/2008 11:02:20 PM   
eloso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

For those of you running XP, try right clicking on the desktop icon, choose properties, choose compatability tab, and select "run this program in compability mode for" and select Win 98/Windows Me. It might work for Vista too, but I don't know. It cut my loading times to 8 seconds and 17 seconds. I also have renamed the Video folder to No_Video to completly bypass that.

Thanks for the tip. It has been so long since I've had to use that feature that it was forgotten. It still takes longer to load than on my old rig which I never ran it in compatibility mode but its about half as long to load. I deleted my videos right after I installed it-I never included that with my original figures on loading. Vista has that same compatibility mode feature but from what I remember it doesn't go back further than XP.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 19
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/8/2008 12:51:06 AM   
Anthropoid

I timed two different segments: (a) from double-clicking icon to getting to Main Menu; (b) double-clicking a .sav file to game opening.

Keep in mind, I have the videos all set to run, and I just hit Esc repeatedly to skip over those after just a second or two.

I did three times to get an average, but there was virtually no variance.

(a) = 13 seconds (no variance)
(b) = 20 seconds (first trial was 30 seconds, 2nd & 3rd were both 15 seconds)

That is running WinXP, with the icon set to compatibility mode and the rig specs I described above. Now that I've timed mine, your 75 seconds does sound frustratingly slow. I'm not a techie, but my hunch it isn't your hardware though. Maybe some conflicting code, or spyware or malware, or some other kinda software issue I'd guess.

(in reply to ttjhowell)
Post #: 20
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/8/2008 4:33:32 PM   
ttjhowell

quote:

Now that I've timed mine, your 75 seconds does sound frustratingly slow. I'm not a techie, but my hunch it isn't your hardware though. Maybe some conflicting code, or spyware or malware, or some other kinda software issue I'd guess.

Spyware? Malware? That's a worry. I do run regular scans for these sort of things with two different commercial packages, and they haven't ever found anything major. Personally, I think the extra 1/2 gig of RAM might be making a big difference. I remember the first time I got this machine (1.5GHz Intel processor with 1/2 gig of ram). I took it out of the box turned it on... windows booted fairly quickly... double clicked on internet explorer and it seemed to take an age to load.

I can live with it because once the game is loaded it works just fine and besides WitP I only use it for emailing. But does anybody out there playing with a similar speed machine and only 1/2 gig or RAM want to contribute a time? I 'spose nobody else is crazy enough to only have 1/2 gig.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 21
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/8/2008 4:36:46 PM   
Anthropoid

Yeah, 1/2g ram, depending on size of your front serial bus could be making a difference.

(in reply to ttjhowell)
Post #: 22
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/8/2008 9:35:25 PM   
wdolson

The game will run with 512 MB of RAM, but the computer will be swapping stuff to disk all the time.  Windows uses a portion of the hard drive as extra RAM for low priority stuff.  If you're swapping to that space, it's going to get slow.  Hard disks are about 1000 times slower than RAM.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 23
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/21/2008 4:00:09 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

That is really interesing suggestion that really worked in both UV and WitP... just give it a try guys!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 24
RE: Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? - 8/21/2008 8:49:18 PM   
morganbj

Until I got a new computer, mine was seven minutes.  I kept track several times.   I used to start the game, then go have dinner while it loaded.  1.6 Mhz, 512M ram, XP, too much crap running in the background, so I only had about 250M of usable RAM.  It swapped and swapped and swapped ....

I got a new one about two months ago and it takes maybe 10 seconds.  Dual core, 2. something MHZ, 4Gig RAM, Vista.  I can't even get to the kitchen, let alone make a sandwich.

COG was even worse with my old machine.  That took about half an hour or so.  Even longer to exit the game.  Swapping and swapping ......

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Who has the slowest WitP Startup Time? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI