Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Memoir '44

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Memoir '44 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/5/2008 1:07:28 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Any news as of the date it's gonna be released ? Got the boardgame, pretty nice ( for a non -wargame, that is)
quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

I just found out that Days of Wonder/Alan R. Moon (Of Avalon Hill fame) got their boardgame "Ticket to Ride" made for the XBOX 360 (Via XBL). I wonder if Memoir '44 will be next?

<Crossing Fingers>

Microsoft having the first super indie friendly console platform.

Who would have thunk it????

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 31
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 1:27:25 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

Any news as of the date it's gonna be released ? Got the boardgame, pretty nice ( for a non -wargame, that is)

It's been out ~4 months I think. I saw that I could download it on XBL.. I forget the price. What was interesting is that there was no demo that I could see.. which makes it about the first ever XBL game I've seen to not have a trial.. I could be wrong on that or maybe they are getting to it.

Never having played the boardgame I'd need a trial before buying, as would I guess the whole larger XBL crowd.

So lets hope that doesn't screw up possibilities for Memoir...

I always enjoyed reading Alan R. Moon's columns in the General Magazine...

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 32
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 8:21:57 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

I wonder if Memoir '44 will be next?

A couple of years ago Jim Zabek of The Wargamer posted that a pc conversion was definitely in the works - not a peep since then so I guess that project died

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 33
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 9:03:32 AM   
JudgeDredd

My daughter has beaten me in 5 of 6 games!!

When she attacks my squad, she invariably rolls 3 infantry/grenade mixes....or even 2. If I attack her squad, I invariably roll a couple of stars...maybe a soldier...but certainly I don't get as many hits as her...jammy little sod.

And she's told me not to help her with her cards last night!! So she's playing completely alone (although I do advise if she might be playing the wrong card). Last night, I had a barrage card, well...wouldn't you know she had a Counter attack card and knew that she could play it and what it meant!. Also, she had an Ambush card...I went to play a "Move Out" card (move/attack with 4 infantry of my choice) and she knew to play the Ambush card because she gets to play it first!

She's picked up pretty quick!

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 34
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 9:26:11 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
She's picked up pretty quick!

Or you are realy lousy

Similar story with my wife and BattleCry - a friend with 25 years of experience in wargaming came over and we played a game : him against me and my wife - after 1 trial scenario I made myself scarce because she was slaughtering the guy on her own and loving every minute of it. I'm playing that guy every two weeks or so and he's still hurting from the massive beating he took that evening

He recently got hooked up again, but I doubt he'll introduce his girlfriend to wargaming - he's whipped enough as it is

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 35
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 1:09:58 PM   
GJK

Anybody played "Conflict of Heroes"? I've pre-ordered it (going through a 2nd printing already) and have the rulebook printed out ready to go; actually started reading it and this looks to be a cool game that has ASL like components but plays like Combat Commander: Europe without the random luck of card-driven game. IOW, it has walls, stone and wood buildings, mortars, HMG's, other obvious weapons, opportunity fire (defensive fire) and more akin to ASL with the learning curve of the latter (CC:E, which I'd say is a step above Memoir - and you don't need the appropriate "card" in order to fire). Also comes with nice and large 1" counters. BGG.com has some good info on the game as well.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 36
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 1:35:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

Picked up a copy of Conflict of Heroes at Origins. It's fun game, well-designed, excellent production quality and includes some concepts we've been tossing around for a while as well for a tactical game. Worth the money, IMHO.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 37
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 2:22:11 PM   
GJK

I'm excited to get my copy; I originally was looking for something a step up from Memoir that me and my boys could play together and I have CC:E (still unpunched) but just am not impressed with the card-play (no fire card, no fire!) and then stumbled upon COH. Simple game mechanics with just the right mix of chrome to satisfy the grog but not overwhelm in ASL fashion.

P.S. replied to your email Erik, I know you're a busy person but just wanted to make sure that you received it.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 38
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 2:27:03 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK
I'm excited to get my copy; I originally was looking for something a step up from Memoir that me and my boys could play together

Have you taken a look at Tide of Iron ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 39
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 2:52:57 PM   
JudgeDredd

I think Tide of Iron might be my next step. I'm enjoying Memoir '44 with my daughter and she's enjoying it, but I'd have to stay with miniatures to keep her interested I think. I might even get the air pack addon first

I like the card system. However, I do realise that it introduces a level of luck...but then so do dice, right?

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 40
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 2:56:04 PM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

I'm excited to get my copy; I originally was looking for something a step up from Memoir that me and my boys could play together

Have you taken a look at Tide of Iron ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Yeah, thought about TOI but then read too many "it's just a dice-fest" remarks on BGG.com. I take those with a grain of salt though; I wouldn't mind seeing a game being played.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 41
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 2:59:02 PM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I think Tide of Iron might be my next step. I'm enjoying Memoir '44 with my daughter and she's enjoying it, but I'd have to stay with miniatures to keep her interested I think. I might even get the air pack addon first

I like the card system. However, I do realise that it introduces a level of luck...but then so do dice, right?

Oh, for sure. However, in the case of CC:E, your whole situation depends on what cards you have in your hand. Your opponent could charge up to your stronghold knowing (or guessing) that you don't have a "Fire" card and thus can't do anything about it. Fans of the game claim that it adds a level of intensity and simulates cowarding or "they didn't see them in time" or whatever. Bah, wasn't for me.

COH could be played using mini's, an extra expense though obviously.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 42
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/7/2008 5:51:04 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Got TOI as well, rules are more fleshed out than Mem44. It's got a different feel to Mem, more tactical based for starters. Still, an enjoyable experience.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 43
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/9/2008 3:25:19 AM   
Rooster

I've got Commands and Colors Ancients and it's pretty easy to find a game on VASSAL.  I like the feel of the game... it's about right in terms of scale and movement.  The thing with M44 is that the scale looks a little wonky.

Post #: 44
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/9/2008 7:54:03 AM   
JudgeDredd

Just to let you all know...Days of Wonder sent me a jiffy bag full of tiles because I was missing a couple of river ones.

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 45
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/9/2008 11:13:15 AM   
Rooster

Excellent news Judge... very good customer service!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 46
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/9/2008 5:42:46 PM   
Sarge

Tide Of Iron “build your own platoon “ sounds like an fantastic idea till you take a look at the cheap figures that don’t really fit in there base , falling out over crowded imposable to move with out siding which as we all know is not that good idea on printed boards.

Post #: 47
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/9/2008 6:05:38 PM   
JudgeDredd

So is Tide of Iron quality a bit suspect Sarge?

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 48
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/9/2008 6:29:02 PM   
Sarge

The boards and terrain are fantastic but the figures fall way short..

Most players after one or two set ups look for alternative ways to represent platoons , the problem is their 1/72 plastic figures with an molded peg to mount on base.

Post #: 49
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/9/2008 7:45:49 PM   
Sarge

quote:

Anybody played "Conflict of Heroes"? I've pre-ordered it (going through a 2nd printing already) and have the rulebook printed out ready to go; actually started reading it and this looks to be a cool game that has ASL like components but plays like Combat Commander: Europe without the random luck of card-driven game. IOW, it has walls, stone and wood buildings, mortars, HMG's, other obvious weapons, opportunity fire (defensive fire) and more akin to ASL with the learning curve of the latter (CC:E, which I'd say is a step above Memoir - and you don't need the appropriate "card" in order to fire). Also comes with nice and large 1" counters. BGG.com has some good info on the game as well.

WoW................. thanks for the info looks fantastic

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 50
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/9/2008 8:52:11 PM   
GJK

Yeah, I've read the rules for COH and I'm ready to go - it's going to be a good game, no doubt. Just heard that the 2nd print run is delayed a bit as the entire lot is going to Europe because they over committed. They're even contemplating on just going ahead and starting a 3rd print run now, so it has become quite popular.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 51
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/9/2008 10:14:32 PM   
EagleMountainDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

WoW................. thanks for the info looks fantastic

It sure does, wets my appetite for board wargaming again. Any one knows how it compares to "Combat Commander"?

I still have ASL Beginner 1 and the first Lock N' Loaded game with unpunched counters.... Not really sure what went wrong

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 52
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/10/2008 12:48:49 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

[

For the greater Days of Wonder fans I've found out the XBOX game is only $10.00... With $7.50 additional for the European Map and likely another $7.50 for the addon once available. At that price I can't pass it up. It looks like there are litterly thousands of people who have bought the game by the looks of things.

I looked into the PC Version but its subscription based (You have to pay each year to keep playing) and costs more to begin with.

I like the board games.. and may still get them.. But I will use the XBOX game to get others hooked first.

I guess thats good news. If Memoir is next.. It likely will be $10.00 too for the base game anyway..

I'd like to pickup all the Memoir boardgames. They and their rules are polished enough in looks to actually entice others to try them. I don't see Conflict of Heroes working due to the lack of that. It appeals to me as a long time wargamer, but isn't going to entice anyone else I know anymore than me pulling out my old copy of Squad Leader.

PS. I did find a free demo for Days of Wonders Ticket to Ride on Xbox Live. Gonna try it now before buying...

< Message edited by Veldor -- 8/10/2008 1:15:21 AM >

Post #: 53
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/10/2008 1:04:56 AM   
Veldor

Where would be the best (ie. cheapest) place to order the full Memoir lineup including all expansions?

Also it looks like Tide of Iron has the same visual appeal? How does that game compare?

Lastly does Battlelore play like Memoir or totally different? Certainly looks similar...

< Message edited by Veldor -- 8/10/2008 1:07:54 AM >

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 54
RE: Memoir '44 - 8/10/2008 3:28:01 PM   
ioticus

quote:

Where would be the best (ie. cheapest) place to order the full Memoir lineup including all expansions?

Also it looks like Tide of Iron has the same visual appeal? How does that game compare?

Lastly does Battlelore play like Memoir or totally different? Certainly looks similar...

I'm buying them from superherogameland.com like I buy most all my boardgames and RPGs from. I find they usually have the best prices.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Memoir '44 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI