Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any good strategy for the south?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Any good strategy for the south? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any good strategy for the south? - 8/10/2008 12:58:09 PM   
haki10

Been playing for few weeks against AI. Allready finished one game with the union - which i won.

Was trying the south and always ended in serious problems.

Manage to draw a defence line around Kentucky and in the east holding on to a part of W-Virginia. At least thats what i can do untill summer 62.

Then the north seems to overrun my forces everywhere - and i am loosing big time.

My generals are usually with 2 or 3 in def but that doesnt seem to matter. I scout the enemy on vital fronts each turn to avoid surprises.

When the north attacks - usally in Kentucky and in the east at the same time - i loose ground and huge forces. with just minor losses on the northern side.

My backup armies behind the front lines usually doesnt have the initive or not enough movement points to aid in the battle.

I was wondering if anybody here has good tips for the south strategy and deployment of armies.
Post #: 1
RE: Any good strategy for the south? - 8/10/2008 6:33:24 PM   
timurlain

Hello,

I've won against the AI and now in a PBEM as South. One of the tricks was to have weak front lines and then keeping a massed army under a good AC with all the leaders. All frontline regions have forts to avoid an easy overrun and they usually would a leader with two-three divisions. Sometimes more, in crucial places. This will keep the bulk of your army unspotted. Which helps in the first round, so do not overrate it. Against a human this makes lot harder for him to figure out where to strike. In the east the obvious place to keep your massed Army is Richmond. In the west this can be more flexible as your front moves / one or two places behind the lines.

For this strategy to work you must count where can you reach with your army. Use all the inf 4 leaders and possibly some 3 inf for this (as they move the farthest and up to 2 regions by rail wo initiative).

Your AC must be present in all important battles. Trying to win a battle with an AC that has no init is quite hard (as he will commit fewer troops and might loose even when winning :) snatching defeat from the jaws of victory).

You cannot defend everything. Realize what would hurt you most to lose and defend only that. Do not, do not, go into battles that you are likely to lose or against superior leadership and numbers. Let the North do that :). Abandon the territory instead. After big battles regroup back to become unspotted again.

Hope this helps ...

(in reply to haki10)
Post #: 2
RE: Any good strategy for the south? - 8/12/2008 12:16:20 PM   
haki10

thanks. I'll try this.

Hard getting good generals for the south in the beginning though.

Hope i'll will be able to defend the south little longer this time :)

(in reply to timurlain)
Post #: 3
RE: Any good strategy for the south? - 8/13/2008 1:57:28 AM   
John Neal

Can't defend everywhere, but you've got to hold Richmond.

(in reply to haki10)
Post #: 4
RE: Any good strategy for the south? - 8/13/2008 3:37:17 AM   
heroldje

the first time i played as confederates i felt like i was losing badly, but when i actually looked at the score, i was winning

its a different mind set... as confederate.. you have to lose slowly to win

(in reply to John Neal)
Post #: 5
RE: Any good strategy for the south? - 8/14/2008 6:32:42 PM   
wargamer123

So the game is pretty accurate? The South is on a foot of barely surviving, just attempting to buy time for politics and anti-war sentiment in the North?

(in reply to heroldje)
Post #: 6
RE: Any good strategy for the south? - 8/14/2008 6:57:06 PM   
John Neal

quote:

ORIGINAL: wargamer123

So the game is pretty accurate? The South is on a foot of barely surviving, just attempting to buy time for politics and anti-war sentiment in the North?

Yes. The Election of 1864 is key.

From the rules:
quote:

16.0 Victory Conditions

If during the Political and Victory Phase of the Initial Turn of each month, either player has been reduced to zero political points, the game ends and the other player is declared the winner. If Lincoln loses the election of 1864 and the game has not yet ended, the game will end after the Political and Victory phase of the April 1865 turn. If Lincoln wins the election of 1864 and the game has not yet ended, the game will end after the Political and Victory phase of the July 1865 turn. If the game ends due to one of these time limits, the Confederate player is declared the victor. The level of victory depends on the Political Points of the winning player at the moment that loser reaches zero Political Points or the game ends due to a time limit....

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Any good strategy for the south? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI