Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slowly getting it but...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Slowly getting it but... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slowly getting it but... - 8/13/2008 2:57:34 AM   
jamus34

I'm slowly starting to get some of the major points down, however I ran a quick 2 regime skirmish on a 28x28 hex map and the computer put me in a town surround by mountains with the nearest town about 12 hexs away.

The computer on the other hand got a town in the open with roads connecting him to about half a dozen cities. I ran with it anyway and it ended up lasting 9 turns I think until the computer got the VP's for the win.

It's a little frustrating trying to learn the game when the random map generator gives you total lemons to start. By the time I developed a supply system (due to the terrain) to let me reach the next town the computer had control of half the towns on the map.
Post #: 1
RE: Slowly getting it but... - 8/13/2008 5:24:40 AM   
SSFSX17

Just check "Mirror Map" on. Arguably, though, that has the potential to make the game too easy for certain players.

(in reply to jamus34)
Post #: 2
RE: Slowly getting it but... - 8/13/2008 9:06:42 PM   
DasTactic

You'll end up liking the challenges and opportunities unusual starting positions offer.

For example, surrounded by mountains means that you have a lot of infrastructure to put down before you can break out - unless you use paratroops. So by checking to see where your supplies can reach gives you your first few turns objectives. Turn 1: Build paratroops and transports. Turn 2: More paratroops and some engineers. Etc etc. Operation Market Garden all over again. :) The troops can drop short of the 12 hex city and march in on foot. They will most likely be out of supply range so it will be really important for the engineers to build the supply route as soon as possible. Paratroops carry extra supply anyway so you have a turn or two up your sleeve. Also, once they take the town, a new HQ could be setup on the town to take supplies from the towns production and the paratroops could then have the HQ as their immediate HQ.

On the other hand, being surrounded by mountains gives you a very defensible position for later in the game.

(in reply to SSFSX17)
Post #: 3
RE: Slowly getting it but... - 8/14/2008 12:52:35 PM   
jamus34

That would have been an option except for two major disadavantages...1) I turned off the "Start with level 1 techs" option and 2) I bumped up the research cost to 200%.

Needless to say those two issues would have made me take just as long to develop paratroopers to airdrop.

I haven't really delved into the air or sea side of things (besides using cargo transports). I'm trying to get a high understanding of the ground system first.

But you live and learn...each game I play, although it may end in failure, still teaches me something.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 4
RE: Slowly getting it but... - 8/14/2008 8:23:31 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Das123

You'll end up liking the challenges and opportunities unusual starting positions offer.

For example, surrounded by mountains means that you have a lot of infrastructure to put down before you can break out - unless you use paratroops. So by checking to see where your supplies can reach gives you your first few turns objectives. Turn 1: Build paratroops and transports. Turn 2: More paratroops and some engineers. Etc etc. Operation Market Garden all over again. :) The troops can drop short of the 12 hex city and march in on foot. They will most likely be out of supply range so it will be really important for the engineers to build the supply route as soon as possible. Paratroops carry extra supply anyway so you have a turn or two up your sleeve. Also, once they take the town, a new HQ could be setup on the town to take supplies from the towns production and the paratroops could then have the HQ as their immediate HQ.

On the other hand, being surrounded by mountains gives you a very defensible position for later in the game.

Better yet, add an HQ unit to the paradrop and when you capture the city, associate the city to the capturing HQ. Now that city can supply your troops, (as long as they are associated to the capturing HQ as well) without a road.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Slowly getting it but... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI