Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fall of the UK question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Fall of the UK question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fall of the UK question - 8/15/2008 7:21:56 PM   
meisterchow

So if Britain has been conquered due to an infestation of Germans, where do you relocate the government? Right now, I'm torn between Canada - nice and safe from further infestations thanks in no small part to the Jolly Green Giant to the south who is getting increasingly agitated over those same Germans, and India - enabling the Commonwealth to lead the coming fight against Japan.

It is currently July/August, 1941.

'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms Motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
Post #: 1
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/15/2008 7:27:20 PM   
YohanTM2

Is there any chance of India falling?

(in reply to meisterchow)
Post #: 2
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/15/2008 7:31:50 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

I know that the British crown jewels were relocated to Calgary, Alberta in Canada during WW2. They were secretly stored in the basement of the Glenbow Museum, in fact.

It makes sense to have the seat of the British government relocated to Canada because North America is basically a huge fortess that would be very difficult for the Axis powers to invade.

My 2 cents.

GSB

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 3
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/15/2008 7:36:00 PM   
meisterchow

There is some potential danger to India long-term. The Japanese have been doing very well in China and are currently attacking Kwei-yang. However, the Communists have invaded Manchuria to the north, and it's quite likely that after the Nationalists are subdued, the Japanese will be forced to divert most of their strength back up north.

Almost all of the Indian forces available by 1941 are on the map, so India is not naked either.

My thinking is that Canada is an obvious choice, but that means both the CW and the US are faced with the hurdle of getting large forces across the Atlantic. With India (or possibly Australia, I suppose), the CW can focus its attention on the Pacific while the US puts its logistic effort into the cross-Atlantic struggle. Since the CW already has a lot of infrastructure in the Pacific, it might be a more feasible focus for its efforts.

This is a new situation for me, and I wasn't sure what the "standard" options were in such a case. I'm playing in CWiF, and to a certain extent I've engineered this situation to see what some of the outcomes could be.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 4
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/15/2008 7:38:48 PM   
meisterchow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grapeshot Bob

I know that the British crown jewels were relocated to Calgary, Alberta in Canada during WW2. They were secretly stored in the basement of the Glenbow Museum, in fact.

It makes sense to have the seat of the British government relocated to Canada because North America is basically a huge fortess that would be very difficult for the Axis powers to invade.

My 2 cents.

GSB

I think you're absolutely right, and that was my first impulse. But while that would definitely secure the CW government for the rest of the game, I'm not sure that it's the best move strategically for future employment of CW resources - hence my question. :)

(in reply to Grapeshot Bob)
Post #: 5
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/15/2008 8:06:19 PM   
brian brian

You might want to think about returning to the UK ASAP. Iirc, while the UK is not the home country only one new unit may be placed on the map and CW action limits are halved. Actually Steve Balk just told me that a few minutes before I opened this thread.

Post #: 6
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/15/2008 8:24:08 PM   
meisterchow

Hmmm, important safety tip, Boys and Girls.  I didn't realize that.  Looks like Canada then with an imperative to the Yanks to liberate ol' Blighty ASAP.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 7
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/17/2008 1:50:49 AM   
SLAAKMAN

I nominate South Africa as your new homeland.

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

Post #: 8
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/17/2008 4:54:49 PM   
composer99

Slight clarification on brian's post: you can only put one UK unit down as a reinforcement per turn. Canadians, Aussies, Indians, New Zealanders & South Africans can be placed in any numbers; however your air and naval forces are still pretty crippled by losing England.

~ Composer99

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 9
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/17/2008 8:29:57 PM   
Incy

Canada is best, as it's *much* easier to get major LL from the US (Which you'll want and need).

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 10
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/18/2008 2:44:31 AM   
meisterchow

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

I nominate South Africa as your new homeland.

I thought about that, but decided that South Africa really only gave access to Africa, which wouldn't be that hard to reach from North America. In my mind it really boiled down to India or Canada, and I ultimately decided on Canada.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 11
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/18/2008 2:45:18 AM   
meisterchow

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Slight clarification on brian's post: you can only put one UK unit down as a reinforcement per turn. Canadians, Aussies, Indians, New Zealanders & South Africans can be placed in any numbers; however your air and naval forces are still pretty crippled by losing England.

Good to know. I think next time in the same circumstances I would try India just to see how it played out.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 12
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/18/2008 7:16:34 AM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

I thought about that, but decided that South Africa really only gave access to Africa, which wouldn't be that hard to reach from North America. In my mind it really boiled down to India or Canada, and I ultimately decided on Canada.

Golly you'd think you were playing Axis & Allies!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

Post #: 13
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/18/2008 9:03:57 PM   
brian brian

That is an important clarification Christopher mentioned. You would still have to draw new units from the entire CW force pool, so the British units would pile up on the production chart until the UK is (partially?) liberated.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 14
RE: Fall of the UK question - 8/19/2008 4:16:26 PM   
meisterchow

In CWiF, all British units were removed from the pool upon conquest, leaving only CW units (Australian, Canadian, Indian, etc.).  When J/F42 rolled around, new British units were added in, but there was a window when what production they still had was going exclusively to non-British units.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Fall of the UK question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI