Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game good to buy yet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Game good to buy yet? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game good to buy yet? - 8/14/2008 2:42:26 AM   
jjarred

So, with the new patches released, is the game worth getting yet, or should I wait until 1.3 patch is out? Would like to get it, but from some of the comments, seems that the game is still needing some serious tweaking....
Post #: 1
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/14/2008 2:46:24 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Read all the recent threads that should answer your question.   I just bought it.  It still needs some work but with patch 1.20 it's much better.  Plus what I understand they are working hard on more improvements to come.

The only major draw back right now is it's very bland pre-2000 graphics but it's playable.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to jjarred)
Post #: 2
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/14/2008 2:56:18 AM   
jjarred

Yeah, I have scanned the various threads, but it is hard to really get a good idea as to the game playability and if it is worth getting now and then hold out for the next batch of patches to give it the zing it needs. I figured that I would give it till 1.3 and see how it goes. As far as the graphics, yeah, it needs to be brushed up a bit. Thank you for the reply....good gaming !!!

(in reply to jjarred)
Post #: 3
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/14/2008 2:13:16 PM   
toddtreadway

I would have no idea how to do this, but some guy made a great map for Guns of August that replaces the original map.  Is it possible to do something like that for this game?  (Not that I'm volunteering.) :)

(in reply to jjarred)
Post #: 4
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/14/2008 2:20:53 PM   
doomtrader

more-less yes

(in reply to toddtreadway)
Post #: 5
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/15/2008 7:57:41 AM   
Redmarkus5

I bought the game and played it for 3-4 days, then moved on to other things. I might try it again when patches 1.3 or 1.4 have been released. It's too bland to look at and has too many faults for a commercial product IMO. I'm waiting for World in Flames and Heroes of Stalingrad.

(in reply to jjarred)
Post #: 6
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/15/2008 2:57:51 PM   
toddtreadway

Again, not that I'm volunteering, but if there is anyone with time on their hands that could re-do the map and counters, I believe it would go a long way to making the game more appealing.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 7
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/15/2008 3:04:36 PM   
GJK

quote:

I would have no idea how to do this, but some guy made a great map for Guns of August that replaces the original map. Is it possible to do something like that for this game? (Not that I'm volunteering.) :)

[raises hand]

See my post #25 HERE for the differences between GoA and this game however.

(in reply to toddtreadway)
Post #: 8
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/17/2008 4:31:58 PM   
Harmonium

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

I bought the game and played it for 3-4 days, then moved on to other things. I might try it again when patches 1.3 or 1.4 have been released. It's too bland to look at and has too many faults for a commercial product IMO. I'm waiting for World in Flames and Heroes of Stalingrad.

I bought it too and wished I hadn't. On the shelf for now. Was considering buying this or WiTP and went with this mainly because of price, LarryP's enthusiastic comments, and it being a newer game. Ended up buying WiTP yesterday and don't think I'll regret it, and will likely get AE when that's ready.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 9
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/17/2008 8:10:30 PM   
Widell

Well, WitP is a monster grognard game and a true classic one too. Don't think you'll ever play another game if you get the WitP monkey too firmly stuck on your back . On the more serious side, the two games are completely different in the level of detail, degree of micromanagement as well as the usual diplomacy, research, economics etc implementation, so I can imagine that if you expected a WitP'ish game and got RTV or vice versa it's kind of easy to be disappointed. Says nothing about the original question "Game good to buy yet?" though....

(in reply to Harmonium)
Post #: 10
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/17/2008 8:11:02 PM   
Uxbridge

Reply to Harmonium:

Blank? Have you tried the extra units and maps from the modders?

What's AE?

< Message edited by Uxbridge -- 8/17/2008 8:21:14 PM >

(in reply to Harmonium)
Post #: 11
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/17/2008 8:31:35 PM   
Uxbridge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell

Well, WitP is a monster grognard game and a true classic one too. Don't think you'll ever play another game if you get the WitP monkey too firmly stuck on your back . On the more serious side, the two games are completely different in the level of detail, degree of micromanagement as well as the usual diplomacy, research, economics etc implementation, so I can imagine that if you expected a WitP'ish game and got RTV or vice versa it's kind of easy to be disappointed. Says nothing about the original question "Game good to buy yet?" though....

If you're looking for a fun game to play with a clean ground system, RtV may very well be something for you. There's some issues, as with most games, but I think that the ground system works much better than in CEAW or SC2 and the maps are large enough to permit manouvre.

We're now six Swedish players setting up a number of PBEM-games once the present patching is done. If you're interested you find us at www.michaeltamelander.se

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 12
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/17/2008 9:57:36 PM   
Harmonium

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell

so I can imagine that if you expected a WitP'ish game and got RTV or vice versa it's kind of easy to be disappointed.

Was just looking for a good game to play without any particular expectation - basically what AZ said in the other Should I Buy thread. But I don't think I'll mind getting hooked on WitP

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 13
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/18/2008 9:38:24 AM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uxbridge
We're now six Swedish players setting up a number of PBEM-games once the present patching is done. If you're interested you find us at www.michaeltamelander.se

Thanks for the offer. Haven't bought RTV just yet, but it's getting harder to resist. I have some other projects I want to finish first, so maybe I'll touch space with you in a month or two.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 14
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/18/2008 7:48:25 PM   
Uxbridge

You're welcome.

Mind though, most of the game talks are in a hidden part of the forum. You have to have access. When time comes, register, logg in and send me a personal message. I will then open the RTV-forum for you. I'm Michael.

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 15
The splash you hear is me diving in! - 8/18/2008 8:29:34 PM   
cpdeyoung

I too have been impressed by what I have read here.  I have downloaded the install, and will patch and play.  I have been "lurking" for a couple of weeks and it looked like fun.

Chuck

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 16
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/18/2008 9:56:40 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uxbridge

You're welcome.

Mind though, most of the game talks are in a hidden part of the forum. You have to have access. When time comes, register, logg in and send me a personal message. I will then open the RTV-forum for you. I'm Michael.

Hey Uxbridge,
We have got a lonely soul looking for players at our small forum:
http://wastelands-interactive.com/viewtopic.php?t=1006

Maybe he can be another player for your team ;)

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 17
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/19/2008 6:03:54 AM   
Uxbridge

Everyone is welcome. There's just one small problem. On my website there's a broad spectre of topics, ranging from military books and films, to games and diecast collecting. But we're all Swedes and discuss only in Swedish. I noticed that Widell was from Sweden as well, that prompting my invitation.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 18
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 8/20/2008 9:37:31 AM   
JudgeDredd

I have to be honest and say I haven't been disappointed with my purchase. Also, regarding the map and counters, I think they're great and it's one of the few games released which I haven't been looking for a mod. The first thing I did (I was so chuffed to have found the option) was switch off the 3D counters and go with the original symbols and classic map...I think they're great for the game.

I'm only into July 1940 and the AI hasn't done a great deal, but then it didn't have the ability to do so I suppose. Looking forward to my turn on Russia.

Unlike some other games out there, the game was worth the price tag, I think.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 19
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 9/8/2008 2:01:07 AM   
Mickrocks201

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harmonium

quote:

I bought it too and wished I hadn't. On the shelf for now. Was considering buying this or WiTP and went with this mainly because of price, LarryP's enthusiastic comments, and it being a newer game. Ended up buying WiTP yesterday and don't think I'll regret it, and will likely get AE when that's ready.

If you are dependent on the AI to provide you a challenge then this ain't the game for you (yet?). The AI breaks down very quickly and allows you to roll over it even with lots of extra PP help (either side, I played em all)

I DID try playing both sides to see how it plays out with some human intelligence behind it and I do like what I have seen so far. So PBEM looks like it will be worthwhile. Unfortunately it is not what I am really looking for.

I will admit that WiTP's AI suffers too, but still I can get 2 or 3 hundred hours of enjoyment out of a game over the course of a few months before AI goes too far south - hopefully the new version will be a bit more aggressive :)

(in reply to Harmonium)
Post #: 20
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 9/8/2008 8:42:18 AM   
JMass

quote:

I played it more than 3-4 days and finally I have done the same but I think you'll need patches 2.0 or 2.1 to have a mature game, much of the engine must be reprogrammed.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 21
RE: Game good to buy yet? - 9/8/2008 2:55:50 PM   
cpdeyoung

Opinions, everyone has one.  Here is mine : I love this game, and have played it for hours, days.  There are issues, a brief glance at the forum will reveal them, but I have loved every campaign.  I have been a war gamer for almost fifty years.  I remember playing AH's "Third Reich" when it came out.  I would walk home from an interrupted game vowing to crush the USSR the next day.  I remember getting so caught up in the simulation, reading books, "Hitler and the Middle Sea" comes to mind, and trying new strategies.  This game is an engine for simulating so many "what if" scenarios.  The underlying data structures are understandable enough that you can modify elements you prefer another way.  I put the American nuclear research into other investments as I do not enjoy the game with nucs.

If you are on this forum, wondering if you should take the leap, then this one man's opinion is that I have rarely spent my money more wisely than on this game.  My thanks to the authors, I am having to force myself to quit and sleep!

Chuck

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Game good to buy yet? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI