Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: An Englishman in New York

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports >> RE: An Englishman in New York Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: An Englishman in New York - 7/26/2008 5:02:22 PM   
Roger Neilson II

To Viscount Palmerston, Prime Minister, British Empire

April 1863

Sir

Little to report, some sluggish skirmishing on the Tennessee border is really all that has taken place. It is as if the union has yet to wake from its winter torpor, whilst the Rebels are content to attend on the Union pleasure.

I remain your most humble and obedient servant.

A.L. Freemantle, Col, Guards.

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 31
RE: An Englishman in New York - 7/26/2008 10:33:28 PM   
Roger Neilson II

May 1863

Sir

Ther has been a large battle in Clarksville, Gen’l Johnson pushed Gen’l Halleck back in his invasion attempt, there are large casualty lists on both sides.

Now the better weather has come the lands round Washington are again ablaze and Gen’l Forrest is also raiding in Cairo.

Thought I am not party to specifics, I gather there are several Union armies on the move, my next report could be one of significant action.

Post #: 32
RE: An Englishman in New York - 7/27/2008 7:09:24 AM   
Roger Neilson II

June 1863

Sir

The Union appears cursed, movements in New Kent, Clarksville and Paducah, all coinciding, are all turned back with significant losses. Mr Lincoln’s position looks somewhat precarious. There are moves afoot to form a ‘peace party’ to attempt to negotiate with a Confederacy that seems to be all too strong and resilient.

The North needs a major victory, and it needs it now.

After almost two years of war it must also be noted that an economy that is sound and has not overreached itself is as important as the troops on the field of battle.

Post #: 33
RE: An Englishman in New York - 7/30/2008 6:12:06 AM   
Roger Neilson II

July 1863

Sir

Gen’l Sheridan is making a name for himself. He is fast becoming the North’s equivalent of Stuart and Forrest, this month with a sweeping raid which reached the fork of the Mississippi and Arkansas Rivers. Likewise the north bank of the Cumberland is also ablaze, Of major troops movement I can report none, the Union would appear to be sitting back and recovering after its bloody Springtime.

One of Lincoln’s strongest critics in a speech the other day declared, ‘It be the economy, you dullard’. It certainly seems to have been Mr Lincoln’s weak spot. His administration has been, how shall we put it, ‘taken advantage of’ by a great many industrialists who have taken orders for new ships, new armaments, and have begun to create new factories – all of course with the ‘guarantee’ that they will help to bring the war to a speedy conclusion – but in fact are mainly about lining their pockets with gold.

It is noted that Lincoln’s new finance minister has taken the ‘bull by the horns’ now, but whether this will be in time to tame the beast must be a matter of speculation at present.

This is a new type of warfare, one where the winner may well be the one whose economy is best managed to support, in the long term, the fighting capacity of a nation.

Post #: 34
RE: An Englishman in New York - 7/31/2008 7:08:13 AM   
Roger Neilson II

August 1863

Sir

General Winfield Scott has died. He represented the last of a generation of ‘Army’ and it is to be speculated upon what the new commander, whoever he is, will bring to the task.
Little occurs, A month when really the union should be capitalising on the good weather has not produced any moves of note.

Post #: 35
RE: An Englishman in New York - 7/31/2008 8:43:53 PM   
Roger Neilson II

There will be a fortnight's halt while I am on holiday.....

Roger

Post #: 36
RE: An Englishman in New York - 8/21/2008 8:48:53 PM   
Roger Neilson II

September 1863

Sir

A month again where the armies face off along the lines. However I understand there is much reorganisation in the union forces, and it would seem that Lincoln has decided on new faces to enervate his failing strategy.

It remains to be seen whether the newly promoted, and as yet untried Gen’l Grant and Gen’l Sherman who take up respectively Army and Theatre command 2will fare any better than their predecessors.

Large tracts of the Union lie devastated by cavalry raids, with the North seemingly unable to effect repairs, there is much disquiet amongst the voters.

Post #: 37
RE: An Englishman in New York - 8/22/2008 1:37:09 AM   
O.O. Howard

I am glad to see you back

Viva Carlotta!

Post #: 38
RE: An Englishman in New York - 8/23/2008 10:35:24 AM   
Roger Neilson II

October 1863

Sir

I gather there has been little activity on land this last month, though there are rumours of significant naval movements the outcomes of which are seemingly, and uncharacteristically, kept a close secret from myself and others.

Post #: 39
RE: An Englishman in New York - 8/24/2008 8:49:14 AM   
Roger Neilson II

November 1863

Sir

Indeed some naval action was ‘on the cards’. It has not turned out quite as expected though. Union naval forces landed troops at New Bern in North Carolina and they swiftly overcame local militia forces there. However and amazing new development has occurred with the appearance of fully armoured ships. The south, despite a supposed inability to produce such industry to manufacture materials needed has managed to put together a significant fleet of ironclad ships and these have sallied forth and stand between the Union resupply and their forces at New Bern.

The North seems unable to counter this as they have not developed the numbers needed and their wooden hulled ships are no match for these behemoths. Given the South’s dominance, and the general disquiet and the state of the Northern economy I feel it is only a matter of time before the Lincoln administration must quit.

How this affects our own foreign policy is for Parliament to decide, but the choice would seem to be between recognition of the South now, or once the war is concluded. I can see no way the North can recover.

More significantly, for ourselves, and on a military matter where I feel I have more of a case for offering an opinion, the appearance of these new monsters of the sea renders all current naval doctrine irrelevant and I would urge that the Admiralty immediately begins to rethink our building programme and tactics.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Roger Neilson II -- 8/24/2008 8:52:56 AM >

Post #: 40
RE: An Englishman in New York - 8/24/2008 6:44:18 PM   
Roger Neilson II

November 1863

Sir

As expected, unable to be resupplied or reinforces the Union forces at New Bern have been destroyed by Gen’l Lee. Union attacks along the Kentucky line, a sign of increasing desperation, are all beaten back. Several more Union ships are lost to the Confederate super beasts.

There seems nothing militarily that the North can do, and there are signs of a massive problem in their economy as planned construction of war materials leave little for normal use. Many areas remain devastated to the point where it is not worth the Confederates raiding again. There are rumours that another ten Yankee ships have been sunk on the high seas by the rampant raider squadrons.

I predict Mr Lincoln has little time left in office.

Post #: 41
RE: An Englishman in New York - 8/27/2008 4:08:31 PM   
Roger Neilson II

December 1863

Sir

It ill behoves me to say so as an army man though and through, but in this modern age neglect your fleet at your peril should be the motto. Sixteen Union ships have been sunk by the armoured monsters of the Confederacy. One wonders how much more the Union can take in what is now an election year.

ON land there is desultory skirmishing and raiding. The North must, I fear, hazard all on one desperate throw but the winter months are not the time to contemplate such actions.

Post #: 42
RE: An Englishman in New York - 8/30/2008 5:33:46 PM   
Roger Neilson II

January 1864

Sir

Little moves in the dead of winter. The Union cause seems gloom mired and as dead as the landscape. I assume with spring will come the coup de grace.

Post #: 43
RE: An Englishman in New York - 9/7/2008 5:32:28 PM   
Roger Neilson II

February 1864

Sir

The Union cause is doomed. Lincoln has called for more troops, but unless he can supply them, and unless he can get his Generals to lose their lethargy there is nothing to save the Union. On the seas the confederacy rules, 8 more ships are known to have been sunk and the remnants of the Union navy cower in ports under shelter of their guns.

Post #: 44
RE: An Englishman in New York - 9/11/2008 8:26:01 PM   
Roger Neilson II

March 1864

Sir

It is merely a matter of time now I fear. The Confederacy is rampant at sea, and the Union seems unable to mount any initiative to take the war to the enemy. It is an amazing turnaround.

Post #: 45
RE: An Englishman in New York - 9/20/2008 9:07:53 PM   
Roger Neilson II

May 1864

Sir

The Lincoln Administration is no more. I gather a meeting of many noteworthies was called and the President was persuaded that his approach to the war had been ruinous. In particular it was clearly indicated that a neglect of affordability and a rampant spending on anything that could be considered worth use in the war had ruined the economy. Additionally the complete focus upon the land war had allowed the Southern forces to develop new fearsome warships and dominate at sea.

There are already talks to end the conflict, the United States is about to be no more.

< Message edited by Roger Neilson II -- 9/20/2008 9:08:29 PM >

Post #: 46
RE: An Englishman in New York - 9/22/2008 10:39:13 PM   
Marc gto

EXCELLENT A/R  love the accounts well written

Post #: 47
RE: An Englishman in New York - 9/23/2008 10:25:15 PM   
Roger Neilson II

Thanks, shame the union commander (whoever he was) - was a total idiot!

Beware fellow aspirants to keeping the Union as a Union - negelct the economy and the naval aspects at your peril.

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports >> RE: An Englishman in New York Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI