Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/26/2008 2:36:02 AM   
tocaff

Obrigado.................

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 3361
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/26/2008 9:12:38 PM   
Mike Solli

CF, do you know anything about Ishii after 27 Aug 42?

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3362
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/26/2008 9:37:10 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I know frustratingly little. He never returned to sea, I know that. After his two weeks or so aboard Ikazuchi he conned a desk, I think in SE Asia but possibly in Japan, until he died of natural causes sometime late in the war. My guess is that he was forced out of sea duty by some illness that finally killed him, but that's just speculation. I would love to know more.

Here is a list of the ships he commanded before and during the war:

DD Uzuki - 15 December 1938 - 15 November 1939
DD Yayoi - 15 October 1940 - 10 September 1941
DD Hibiki - 25 September 1941 - 13 August 1942
DD Ikazuchi - 13 August 1942 - 27 August 1942

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3363
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/26/2008 10:30:44 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I know frustratingly little. He never returned to sea, I know that. After his two weeks or so aboard Ikazuchi he conned a desk, I think in SE Asia but possibly in Japan, until he died of natural causes sometime late in the war. My guess is that he was forced out of sea duty by some illness that finally killed him, but that's just speculation. I would love to know more.

Here is a list of the ships he commanded before and during the war:

DD Uzuki - 15 December 1938 - 15 November 1939
DD Yayoi - 15 October 1940 - 10 September 1941
DD Hibiki - 25 September 1941 - 13 August 1942
DD Ikazuchi - 13 August 1942 - 27 August 1942

Thanks Cuttlefish. Please don't let him die of natural causes in your AAR. That would really suck.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3364
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/27/2008 2:36:05 AM   
BrucePowers

How about old age?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3365
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/27/2008 11:53:43 AM   
BigDuke66

How about woman?

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3366
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/27/2008 8:00:17 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

It makes me think of the story of chuken Hachikô.” All of them are familiar with the famous tale of faithful dog Hachikô, who went every day to Shibuya station to wait for his master Professor Ueno to return from his work at the University of Tokyo and who continued to do so without fail for ten years after his master’s death.

Another excellent touch, working that story into the Hibiki plotline. (IIRC, there is now a statue of the dog just outside the railway station, but I don't know when it was installed.)

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3367
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/27/2008 8:52:26 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

It makes me think of the story of chuken Hachikô.” All of them are familiar with the famous tale of faithful dog Hachikô, who went every day to Shibuya station to wait for his master Professor Ueno to return from his work at the University of Tokyo and who continued to do so without fail for ten years after his master’s death.

Another excellent touch, working that story into the Hibiki plotline. (IIRC, there is now a statue of the dog just outside the railway station, but I don't know when it was installed.)

I thought about trying to work the statue into the story, because it was installed sometime in the late 1930s and our sailors would have been familiar with it. The statue was metal and was melted down at some point during the war to contribute to the war effort. The current statue is a re-creation of the original and was installed after the war.

Here is how the statue, a very well-known landmark in Tokyo, appears today:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 3368
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/27/2008 9:26:55 PM   
Charbroiled

Cuttlefish, This is truly amazing stuff. I just found out about this thread awhile back and I have been reading it from the beginning (sadly, I'm only on page 21 at the moment). You really need to print all of your post and use them as an outline for a novel. You have true talent!

"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3369
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/27/2008 10:21:44 PM   
Cuttlefish

June 19, 1944

Course: None
Attached to: TF 23
Mission: Air combat
System Damage: 2
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Await further orders

---

Riku comes down the gangway onto the pier in the morning. There is a large stack of crates on the pier containing food for Hibiki’s crew and Riku wants to check the contents against the manifest before the crates are loaded aboard.

Off to the side is a neatly coiled hawser and lying against this is a tattered object. It looks to Riku as though the object had been lying near the base of the gangway and someone had simply kicked it out of the way. If an officer sees that he won’t be pleased, so Riku goes over to pick it up and dispose of it properly.

He picks it up and then bursts out laughing. The item he is holding is a ragged and badly chewed shoe.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3370
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/27/2008 10:23:44 PM   
Cuttlefish

June 20, 1944

---

“How long do you give them?” Lieutenant Kuwaki asks Lieutenant Sugiyura. The two men are discussing the Allied landings in Europe, news of which was awaiting the crew when they returned to Japan. The Japanese government has had little to say on the subject and the press has contented itself with passing on boastful German claims of hurling the Allies back into the sea. Among military men only the most hopeful give these claims any credence.

“They might be out of the war by the end of the year,” says Sugiyura. “Maybe if they are lucky they will last a little longer.”

“Then we will face the full strength of our enemies,” says Kuwaki. “Considering that their resources already seem like a well without a bottom that is a frightening thought.”

“Bah,” says Sugiyura. “Let them come. Unlike Germany we still have the sea for a defense and capable ships to patrol it with.”

“True,” says Kuwaki. “But do not forget we have Russia at our back.”

“Why would the Soviets attack us?” asks Sugiyura. “They must be drained from their long war and they have no quarrel with us anyway.”

“For gain, perhaps?” says Kuwaki. “What you say is true, but I think that trusting to the mercy and forbearance of Stalin is perhaps a bad idea.”

“Hm, maybe so,” says Sugiyura. “But they have no navy to speak of and so they do not concern me much.”

“I suppose that is true,” says Kuwaki. “Still, the Americans and British will be able to send more ships this way once Germany falls.”

“Let them,” says Sugiyura confidently. “We can always use more targets.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3371
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/28/2008 8:06:22 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

Thanks Cuttlefish. Please don't let him die of natural causes in your AAR. That would really suck.

I suppose that is entirely left up to the whims of the leader bug, not Cuttlefish...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3372
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/28/2008 12:04:47 PM   
cantona2

I reckon he goes down with the ship and Shun elects to go with him after saving his son in law

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 3373
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/28/2008 3:33:15 PM   
princep01

'tis our author's perogative, but for me, I hope Shun survives the war and dies of natural causes while peacefully swimming with the sea turtles off Okinawa.  The sea claims what it already owns.

He passes as a great-grandfather, loved and reverred by many and feared by a few. He is 86 years old.  He has few, if any, real regrets.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 3374
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 12:53:00 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 21, 1944

---

Lieutenant Miharu is standing on the bridge when he spies a naval staff car rolling down the pier. It stops near the base of the gangway. The driver, a staff officer by his uniform, gets out and goes around to open the door for his passenger. When the passenger emerges the lieutenant sucks in a sharp breath.

“Captain,” he says, and something in his voice brings Captain Ishii over immediately. Ishii takes in the scene and then begins fastening the buttons on his coat.

“This should be interesting,” he says as he reaches for his cap.

---

Ensign Konada is currently the officer of the deck. As the stocky man in the white uniform comes up the gangway he feels himself starting to sweat. He takes a deep breath to calm himself and double-checks his uniform. As always the young ensign looks ready for a parade ground. Wait, is that a spot on his left shoe? Horror fills Konada but there is no time to do anything about it. The visitor has reached the top of the gangway. Konada snaps and holds a perfect salute.

“Permission to come aboard, Ensign?” the newcomer asks mildly.

“Granted,” says Konada, and to his relief his voice doesn’t squeak at all. “Welcome aboard Hibiki, Admiral Yamamoto.”

---

Near the end of the inspection Admiral Yamamoto and Captain Ishii stroll together. The ship is not in the immaculate shape Ishii would want for such an inspection but all things considered Ishii is pleased. He runs a tight ship and it shows, even while they are taking on supplies and doing minor repairs.

“Very nice, Captain Ishii,” Yamamoto says. “I apologize for appearing unannounced in this fashion.”

“It is your prerogative, sir, to appear when you please,” says Ishii. “No apology is necessary.” The two men exit the aft deckhouse and move towards the stern.

“I have been meaning to do this for some time,” says Yamamoto. “Today seemed suddenly like a good day. I have spent too many days lately in offices and briefing rooms. I needed to feel a deck under my feet and smell grease and fuel oil and fresh paint. Making a surprise inspection seemed excuse enough to get away.”

“We are glad to help, sir,” says Ishii. The men stop at the stern and Yamamoto turns to face Ishii.

Hibiki has compiled an enviable record,” he says. “You have engaged enemy ships at Kuching, at Wake, three times at Gili Gili, and at Luganville. You have sunk seven enemy ships or submarines and can claim partial credit on four others. In addition you participated in the battles of the Phoenix Islands, of Timor, of Exmouth Bay, of Santa Cruz, and of Woleai. No merchant vessel under your protection has even been damaged, much less sunk. Am I leaving anything out?”

“No, Admiral,” says Ishii. He is proud of his ship’s record and proud that the admiral has taken time to review it.

“When this came to my attention,” says Yamamoto, “I had to ask myself why the captain of a ship with such a record remains a lieutenant commander. So I asked around. You have a reputation for speaking your mind to the wrong people, it seems.”

“Yes sir,” says Ishii a little uncomfortably.

“Good,” says Yamamoto. “Good. Then you are a man I wish to talk to. Tell me, Ishii, what do you hear from your sailors and other officers about the fact that the fleet remains in port while the enemy attacks the Marianas?” Ishii braces himself. As he looks at Yamamoto’s broad and impassive face it is obvious that the admiral is looking for the truth.

“Sir,” he says, “no one is happy about it. We hear that many enemy ships have been sunk in the battle. We know that our fleet is still strong. It is very hard to sit here while others fight, knowing that allowing the enemy to gain a foothold in the Marianas imperils everything. There is a lot of grumbling, sir.”

Yamamoto nods slowly. “Yes,” he says. “I hear it from above, too. They say the same thing in the Imperial Diet and at the Ministry of War. Many want me removed.” Ishii says nothing. After a moment Yamamoto goes on.

“But I think that I have divined our enemy’s intentions,” says Yamamoto. “They do not intend to threaten the Philippines, or Java or Borneo, or anywhere else. No, they are aiming straight at Japan itself. And to do that they must capture Iwo Jima. That is where we must fight them, Ishii, where we can bring our full power to bear. That is where the final battle will be fought. We have to preserve our strength for that battle. It is the only one now that truly matters.”

Yamamoto is now gazing out to sea as he speaks, gazing south. Ishii gets the feeling that that the admiral has almost forgotten his presence.

“I have had a strange feeling lately,” Yamamoto continues. “It is almost as if I am living somehow on borrowed time. Let them remove me if they can. Until then I will continue to do my job as I feel I must.”

Ishii remains silent. A breeze ruffles the water off the stern and from somewhere nearby comes the cry of a gull. After a long moment Yamamoto turns back around.

“Thank you, Captain Ishii,” he says. “I appreciate your candor. I fear I must return now before my staff notices that I have escaped and comes in search of me.”

“We have been honored by your visit, sir,” says Ishii. He means it.

The two men walk forward. There Hibiki’s crew has assembled. They stand at attention in silent rows along the rail, on the foredeck, and on the torpedo and gun decks. Admiral Yamamoto stops at the top of the gangway and at Lieutenant Miharu’s order they salute in unison. Yamamoto looks up and around at their faces and somehow every man aboard feels as though the admiral looks straight at him. Then Yamamoto returns the salute before turning and descending to the pier. The crew remains at attention as the admiral’s car backs up, turns, and drives off out of sight.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3375
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 12:54:47 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 22, 1944

---

Headline in the Mainichi Shimbun, June 22:
Gallant Imperial Soldiers Close to Victory on Guam

Headline in the New York Times, June 22:
Army, Marines Declare Troops in Control on Guam: Fighting Continues

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3376
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 2:49:33 AM   
tocaff

Iwo, huh?  I wonder.........nah.

Todd

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3377
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 12:36:59 PM   
cantona2

Loving the cameo's, though the way CF has written that makes me really wonder if Iwo was the Hibiki's last action and hes building up steam to it.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3378
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 2:01:28 PM   
tocaff

That's what I was considering.  If it's true then Hibiki's demise doesn't need to be the end of this saga as survivors can carry on in Japan's hour of need.

Todd

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 3379
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 3:19:02 PM   
vettim89

I guess it would be better to have Hibiki sunk near an island or land mass as it would be easier to justify saving a selected few cast members. If you were sunk in the middle of the ocean with no friends around, it would be a lot less plausible

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3380
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 5:18:59 PM   
tocaff

Warships usually travel in multi vessels TFs so a mid ocean sinking wouldn't preclude a realistic rescue. 

Imagine Shun's return to Hibiki for her fateful demise and then being in a lifeboat for a couple of weeks.  Sharks be afraid!  That's what CF has accomplished with his tale, a riveting story where nothing is beyond the realm of the possible.

Todd

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3381
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 8:03:37 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

June 21, 1944

“I have had a strange feeling lately,” Yamamoto continues. “It is almost as if I am living somehow on borrowed time.

That wouldn't have anything to do with his being dead by this point in the historical timeline?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3382
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 9:28:16 PM   
Cuttlefish

June 23, 1944

---

It has taken two weeks of hard fighting but on Guam the Allies now firmly control the both Apra harbor and the important airfield at Orote. The airfield cannot handle aircraft yet – the main runway looks like the surface of the moon – but that will soon be rectified.

The fighting is far from over, however. Japanese planes and submarines still make the waters between Woleai and Guam a dangerous place and there are wide areas in the north part of the island firmly under Japanese control. It will take three more weeks of combat before the Allies declare the island secure.

And even then the story of the Japanese occupation of Guam is not necessarily over…

---

Near Mt. Barrigada, Guam, 1964:

“It’s hot, Jimmy,” complains Sally Tegan as she sits down on a low rock. “When are we going to have lunch?” She sets the picnic hamper she is carrying beside the rock.

“Soon,” says Jim Tegan, emerging from the entrance to an old bunker. “I think this must be about where Dad was wounded. I want to look around a bit.” The elder Tegan is a gruff but very nice man whose left shoulder still hurts sometimes in cold, wet weather. Yet somehow, sitting here, Sally can picture him twenty years ago, younger than Jimmy is now, charging up the hill below them and waving a rifle while Japanese soldiers scream defiance and shoot down at him.

“All right, dear,” says Sally. “But be careful. Remember what the man back at the resort said about stuff that can still blow up.”

“I’ll be careful,” her husband promises, and plunges off into the tall grass and underbrush.

“And watch out for snakes!” Sally calls after him. She has no idea if there are snakes on Guam or not, but the area reminds her a bit of Topanga Canyon back home and there are certainly snakes there.

Jimmy comes back into view a moment later. “Hey, you have to come see this!” he says. “There’s an old Japanese artillery piece back there.” Sally reluctantly allows herself to be led to where a rusting old gun sits forlornly in the tall grass.

“I think it’s a seventy-five,” Jim says excitedly, taking a couple of pictures with his boxy Brownie camera. This means nothing to Sally, but she makes admiring noises anyway. If being dragged around an old battlefield for a few hours is the price to pay for a vacation in the Pacific then so be it.

“All right,” says her husband after a bit. “Thanks, love.” He kisses her on the cheek. “We passed some trees on the way up the hill, that should be a nice spot for a picnic.” They make their way back to the clearing around the bunker, but when Sally looks the picnic basket is gone.

“Someone stole our lunch!” says Jim. He jumps up on the rock and looks back down the trail, but there is no one to be seen. Sally looks up the hill and for just a second, through a gap in the underbrush, thinks she sees a Japanese soldier scuttling away. At least he is wearing a ragged version of the uniforms she saw in the pictures at the museum Jimmy dragged her through back in Tumon Bay. It looks like the figure is clutching something

Whatever it is vanishes almost instantly, like a phantom. Sally opens her mouth to say something and then closes it. It must have been her imagination. The past seems very close here, she thinks, and her imagination is working overtime. If she told her husband she saw a ghost he would think she was having heatstroke or something.

Jim gives up the search and the couple descends the hill. Sally turns her head and takes one last look before they get back in the car but sees nothing. The car drives away. Above them the forgotten artifacts of war rust amid the openings to the tunnels and dugouts of the Barrigada Line. Whatever ghosts remain there are left to their loneliness and silence – and perhaps to a ham sandwich or two.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3383
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 9:39:55 PM   
vettim89

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3384
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/29/2008 9:53:58 PM   
tocaff

There were no snakes on Guam until a freighter brought, unknowingly, some brown snakes (I think they were).  So any of the Navy types here who were ever there would tell you that in the 60s there were plenty of birds.  The snakes ate the bird eggs so there are no longer singing birds on Guam and the snakes hunt for whatever they can find now.

Todd

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3385
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/30/2008 12:44:24 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 24, 1944

---

Chief Petty Officer Shun walks down the road that leads to the village of Kunigami from his house. His daughter walks alongside him. They have gone half a mile and her father is showing no signs of weariness. The first time they walked this far, ten days ago, he was pale and trying to hide the fact that his hands were shaking. Nanami almost had to help him up the path back to their house.

A military lorry goes rattling by and the driver waves cheerfully to them as it passes. Such vehicles are more and more common on Okinawa these days. The number of troops on the island has quadrupled since the beginning of the year and more arrive almost every day.

The truck rattles on its way, leaving a faint cloud of dust behind it. The dust is quickly carried away by the breeze off the ocean. Shun and his daughter stop for a moment while Shun looks down the wildflower-clad slope to where waves crash on the beach. Nanami knows he is not stopping because he is tired, but because he wants to watch the ocean for a moment.

Hibiki is back in Japan. The naval doctor at the base at Kadena has agreed to see Shun again in a week and if he gives his approval Shun will return to active duty. Nanami suspects that her father is still far from fully recovered from his gunshot wound but she knows better than to say anything. Even her grandmother has had to step aside in the face of Shun’s determination to return to the destroyer. Nanami thinks it likely her father will pass his physical.

“Shall we head back?” she asks him after a moment. Shun nods his head.

“Yes,” he says in his gruff voice. “Perhaps tomorrow we can walk all the way to the village.” Together the two of them turn and walk back down the road towards home.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3386
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/30/2008 3:54:16 PM   
Feinder

quote:

“Yes,” he says in his gruff voice. “Perhaps tomorrow we can walk all the way to the village.”

Been there, done that.

Pushing yourself to recover quickly for whatever reason(s) makes all the difference.  In my case (had major surgery last year), I didn't wanting to be the invalid/burden, and more so, didn't want my sons to see we in weakness.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3387
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 8/31/2008 2:27:11 PM   
princep01

Now, this is scary!

Saturday (football) Highlights:

Shun White, Navy, 19 rushes 348 yards, 3 TDs.   Hummmmmm, Shun's great-grandson, maybe????

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 3388
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/1/2008 6:14:18 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 25 - July 1, 1944

System Damage: 1

---

A quick week in Tokyo takes our destroyer and her gallant crew into July 1944:

June 25 – Captain Ishii is belatedly notified that a letter of commendation has been placed in his file for commanding the task force that delivered the 48th Independent Mixed Brigade to Iwo Jima without losing a man earlier in the year. Along with the commendation is a letter of thanks from General Shigematsu, the brigade’s commander.

June 26 – Allied aircraft begin operating out of airfields on Guam.

June 27 – Reports reach Tokyo that enemy battleship forces are off Ulithi. Heavy damage from bombardments is reported.

June 28 – System damage aboard Hibiki drops back to 1.

June 29 – In anticipation of a night of shore leave Seaman Shoji buys some raw oysters from a street vendor. Instead of having the desired effect the oysters make Shoji very ill. He spends the next three days in the ship’s infirmary.

June 30 – Enemy transports are reported massing at Woleai.

July 1 – Chief Petty Officer Shun is cleared to return to duty.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3389
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/1/2008 7:55:56 AM   
bradfordkay

"June 29 – In anticipation of a night of shore leave Seaman Shoji buys some raw oysters from a street vendor. Instead of having the desired effect the oysters make Shoji very ill. He spends the next three days in the ship’s infirmary."

I suppose that in the Japanese language the little mnemonic about months with an "r" doesn't exist...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 3390
Page:   <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI