Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Opponents Wanted >> Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/4/2008 2:42:56 AM   
Jimmer

The previous tutorial game "The Art of War" has been terminated due to lack of interest (there were only two remaining active "students").

So, I'm starting another game, but with a slightly different focus. No contrived rules, but one overriding principle:

We play to learn and teach, not to win nor even to play. Yes, we play as if we intend to win (i.e. don't do stupid things; kill your opponent when he does do stupid things -- It's EIA, after all). But, that's not the main goal. The main goal will be to allow people new to the game to see how more experienced players think and act.

To this end, people will discuss their strategies for their moves openly. The "few secrets" idea will make the game play a little more woodenly, and certainly people can take advantage. But, since we aren't going to care who wins ... that shouldn't be an issue. Riiiiiight guys?

I'll be giving the guys who started the other tutorial game (the one run by me) first crack at the new game. But, I'll take names from others now. I'm going to reply in the order received sometime after midnight, Friday night, US Central Daylight Time (GMT -6, +1). I'll be looking for two experienced veterans to play France and Great Britain. They can even play "real" against each other, for all I care. The learners will take the other powers by bids. To make this happen, I'm going to manually input the bids, removing France and GB from the list (and have the two experienced players pick bids). But, bidding will be normal other than that.

We'll start a thread in the after action reports forum to handle the traffic, banter, etc. Files, however, will be uploaded and email sent to the Google Group "The Art of War" (which I control). In order to be invited, I'll need your email address. Once the 7 players are ready to go, I'll ask for email addresses and we'll do some pre-game diplomacy. Then, we'll bid (as above).

Questions and requests for joining can be made here. Don't include your email address yet, though (insecure -- we'll use PMs when the time comes). But, please include whether you consider yourself experienced or a learner (for purposes of this game -- I have no doubt that EVERY player of this game has to be a learner to succeed).

One last thing: IF I can figure out how, I'm going to host the game WITHOUT playing. If I can't figure that out, though, I'll play one of the two majors.

Jim

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
Post #: 1
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/4/2008 6:48:24 PM   
ess1

You have me.
Sellick

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/4/2008 8:09:11 PM   
menik

Do you need a learner? I'm an old (litterally) player of the EiA boardgame. I had never closed a game but I had always a lot of fun.
My time is +1: I live in Italy and ... my english is not perfect.
... but I hope you can understand me

Antrocom Online Journal of Anthropology:
www.antrocom.net

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 3
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/4/2008 8:45:45 PM   
Jimmer

Sounds good!

Ess1, you were in the previous game, right? Plus, I got another letter from MW, who also was in. Htullio, it's fine by me that your English might not be perfect. Diplomacy works best at the end of the barrel of a gun anyhow, doesn't it? :)

One thing about time zone differences: It's perfectly acceptable to only be able to respond once a day (which a 7-hour difference will pretty much force). But, for ALL players, it will be important to respond EVERY day if possible, and to tell the group of expected times when one will not be able to respond. Otherwise, people tend to gravitate away themselves, and the whole game bogs down.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to menik)
Post #: 4
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/5/2008 1:29:40 PM   
menik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

One thing about time zone differences: It's perfectly acceptable to only be able to respond once a day (which a 7-hour difference will pretty much force). But, for ALL players, it will be important to respond EVERY day if possible,

every day from monday to friday, a turn between saturday-sunday: i. e. 6 turn for week. I suppose we can skip the prussian naval turn since the Prussia does not have a fleet (a moving fleet: actually I'm plaing as Prussian in a game and I have the control of Naples. But I have a turkish fleet blocking Naples, so I can skip the turn too). The first player _need_ to have a new turn on monday. Battle, of course, are another question: it can delay the game for the non engaged players. But the 2 player in a battle _need_ to have a battle-turn every day too.

www.antrocom.net

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 5
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/5/2008 2:52:16 PM   
RayKinStL

Jimmer, do you need more players?  I'd be interested.

(in reply to menik)
Post #: 6
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/5/2008 5:21:41 PM   
Jimmer

Yes. I'm up to 4 of 6 with you, Ray. (I'm counting myself, since I don't think there's a way to be a non-player host.)

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 7
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/5/2008 6:07:44 PM   
RayKinStL

Sounds good.  We gonna use the GAP?  Also is there a way to do pre-start DOWs? (ones that result in no loss of PP)

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 8
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/5/2008 7:23:36 PM   
Jimmer

We'll only use the GAP if the two experienced players will be bidding 30 or less (which is unlikely). The GAP caps the bids at 30. We'll discuss this once we get a full team together.

If we don't use the GAP, we can't implement startup wars.

Also, as we found out in my current game, startup wars can be extremely costly. Personally, I would NEVER start with a preexisting war, no matter which country I'm playing (unless the other guy declared it). In EIA, there were some rare diplomatic situations that might have caused me to lean that way. However, EIANW has way too many minor neutrals for any power to feasibly start the game with a war (IMO).

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 9
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/6/2008 10:53:33 AM   
ess1

Jimmer, it was me (Spain) in tutorial.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 10
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/6/2008 3:40:05 PM   
DCWhitworth

Hi, I'd be interested in playing GB. I'm an experienced player but inexperienced at playing GB - don't know how well that fits your criteria ;)

I'm GMT +0

Regards
David

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 11
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/6/2008 5:19:00 PM   
Jimmer

OK, that makes six:

From this forum:

ess1
htullio
RayKinStL
DCWhitworth

Plus, there's one more player I know by email, but I'm not sure if he posts here.

Finally, there's me. I do not know if there is a way to host without playing, so I'll probably play France then.

So, we need one more learner-type (those playing countries other than GB and France).

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 12
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/6/2008 5:23:07 PM   
Jimmer

I will start a new thread in the After Action forum titled "The Art of War" sometime between now and when the seventh player pops in. That's where we'll do all of the metagaming (discussing strategies, planning, etc.) The actual game files will be placed in the Google group "TheArtOfWar".

So, keep an eye open for an email from there asking if you want to join.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 13
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/6/2008 5:32:15 PM   
DCWhitworth

Just realised one problem. I am going to be away for a couple of weeks in mid-October without access to the game. I don't have an issue if you want to AI my turns for that period, but I'll also understand if you think this will be too disruptive and would rather have someone else play.

Regards
David

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 14
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/6/2008 5:39:45 PM   
Jimmer

I have a friend who might be able to take over for you during that period. I would rather do that than skip your turn, since it could be important.

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 15
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/6/2008 5:41:57 PM   
Jimmer

I will need the email address of those for whom I do not already have it:

htullio
RayKinStL
DCWhitworth

You can either post it here (not recommended for security reasons, unless you edit it later), or send me a private message.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 16
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/6/2008 7:04:01 PM   
menik

email sended

www.antrocom.net

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 17
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/6/2008 9:10:28 PM   
RayKinStL

Jimmer,

My email address is RayKinStL@yahoo.com  I was planning on bidding fairly high for France simply because I wanted to get a lot of land experience.  So if you are saying you are taking France, then my interest in the game may not be as high.  I was really going to bid aggressively for it in this game since I figured this would be a good game to get my feet wet playing France for the first time in a real game (non AI).

(in reply to menik)
Post #: 18
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/7/2008 4:46:03 AM   
Jimmer

I don't have a problem with that, Ray. However, in "learning mode", France needs to not make too many mistakes, or else the other players won't see what she can really do. But, if you want, I have no problem with that.

Anybody else interested in one of the two big boys?

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 19
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/7/2008 8:46:59 AM   
stephenw

I am learning this game. Playing against AI. I am very interested in playing a smaller power, non-GB or France. Any positions open? Thanks, Stephenw

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 20
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/7/2008 10:27:29 AM   
ess1

Looking good. Thanks Jimmer.
Let us hope we can stay the course

(in reply to stephenw)
Post #: 21
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/8/2008 5:08:59 AM   
RayKinStL

Jimmer,

DC is interested in giving GB a go and I am interested in giving France a go.  I feel ready, but I'll never really know until I try and I think this will be a good game.  I take a lot of time and think out my moves, so I think I can handle the task!

Ray

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 22
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/8/2008 5:53:02 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: stephenw

I am learning this game. Playing against AI. I am very interested in playing a smaller power, non-GB or France. Any positions open? Thanks, Stephenw

Yup. You are number 6, I think (plus myself). I'm going to see if I can host a game without playing. If so, then there will be one more player. If not, then I'll start asking questions in the After Action Reports (AAR) forum shortly.

(in reply to stephenw)
Post #: 23
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/8/2008 5:53:31 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: RayKinStL

Jimmer,

DC is interested in giving GB a go and I am interested in giving France a go.  I feel ready, but I'll never really know until I try and I think this will be a good game.  I take a lot of time and think out my moves, so I think I can handle the task!

Ray

OK by me.

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 24
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/8/2008 10:42:10 AM   
ess1

Jimmer, Have you managed to find a way to delete files in Google Group yet? I looked in help but couldn't see how to.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 25
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/8/2008 8:23:15 PM   
Jimmer

There is a way, and I purged a bunch a few days ago. However, I can't find a way to purge the emails other than to not keep them in the first place. Hopefully, it won't run us out of space anytime soon, because I really like the name.

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 26
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/8/2008 9:26:28 PM   
RayKinStL

Just tweak it to a new google name...like "The Art O' War" or something like that.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 27
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/15/2008 5:48:01 PM   
Jimmer

We're still looking for one more player for this semi-tutorial game. It doesn't matter if you are experienced (in fact, that's the idea -- help inexperienced folks).

(in reply to RayKinStL)
Post #: 28
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/15/2008 6:33:51 PM   
Mardonius

I can do it if you are looking for someone who has played before.

best
Mardonius

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 29
RE: Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) - 9/15/2008 9:06:29 PM   
Jimmer

Thanks. PM me with your email address.

It doesn't matter if you have experience. Two of the "new" guys want to bid for the big powers (GB and France), so it looks like a free-for-all. But, the GOAL of the game is to learn, not to "win at all costs". We're going to discuss strategies and tips throughout, even giving away our secrets, just so everybody learns.

I suspect people will get tired of the format after about a year or three of game time. But, it's a learning opportunity.

I do request that any experts or very experienced people not take advantage of the newer folks. But, that's about it.

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Opponents Wanted >> Starting new "tutorial" game (well, semi-) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI