Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does not recognise DVD-r in the drive?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Does not recognise DVD-r in the drive? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does not recognise DVD-r in the drive? - 9/6/2008 6:19:33 PM   
m10bob

Completely straying from the games with my problem. I have downloaded some great war flicks and want to transfer them to DVD-R..I have done this before using Memorex DVD-R but when trying to use another brand I have, the burner sez "no disc in the drive".What gives?..I am using Windows XP,Pro, Media Edition,(with all the bells and whistles).
I have an entire pack of DVD-R's and have inspected all, and while they "look" o.k., none of them are recognized on my computer.

BTW, I am using Windows media player 10, (cannot upgrade to 11 apparently due to the age of the 'puter, which I bought new a few years ago.)

Dell Dimension 4600......Thank you in advance..

Post #: 1
RE: Does not recognise DVD-r in the drive? - 9/6/2008 7:18:18 PM   
wworld7

I can't tell you why you are having problems, but I also have had the same issue come when I have tried to use other than Memorex. So that is all I buy now.

Flipper

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Does not recognise DVD-r in the drive? - 9/6/2008 7:22:26 PM   
TonyE

Yup, not all media will work with all drives. Some players will play DVD-R but not DVD+R, and so on and so forth.  It does make it difficult :)

Sometimes the drive maker will have updated firmware for the drive that will tell it how to use more media. So it won't be a Dell site thing but rather whichever company that made the DVD writer (samsung, toshiba, etc.).

< Message edited by TonyE -- 9/6/2008 7:23:26 PM >

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 3
RE: Does not recognise DVD-r in the drive? - 9/6/2008 7:26:09 PM   
m10bob

Like the man sez, sometimes some of us educate ourselves only when a driver fails to perform.

I am learning this is indeed a common problem and with so much talent out there, and money to be made, seems it's an issue some Bill Gates-type might have tackled by now??

Looks like others may be watching this thread as well..Thank you for your quick responses.

Just noticed the Memorex that works is a DVD "+" R(these others are DVD "-" R..)
Wonder what that is all about???

< Message edited by m10bob -- 9/6/2008 7:28:49 PM >

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 4
RE: Does not recognise DVD-r in the drive? - 9/7/2008 3:13:46 AM   
m10bob

What I have learned so far:
I went to about.com and learned there are 2 separate schools of technology with DVD player/burners, the "+" school and the "-" school. Neither recognized each others' discs until after 2006. My computer was made in 2004, so it will only handle "+" discs.
Till now I had never even noticed the "+" or "-", and sure did not know the difference.

Henceforth, I need purchase solely the plus DVD items..

About.com also touched on the fact there are programs out there which will "fool" your burner/driver into accepting both, but it only indicated the manufacturers versions of them, and my driver is made by NEC, (which does not list this program for my unit, per se..)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Does not recognise DVD-r in the drive? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI