Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steel Panthers 3 sound !?!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Steel Panthers 3 sound !?! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steel Panthers 3 sound !?! - 10/7/2000 6:17:00 AM   
NOVA350

I know this is off topic, but I am sure many of you still play SP3, so here goes. I tried to play SP3 in EVERY way possible under WIN98se, but it just wouldn't work- I kept getting a VESA480.dll failed to load error. The sound DID work when I used it in the WIN Dos Box, but the Video was a NO GO! So, I was tired of hassling with the video problem, created a boot disk to play sp3 from DOS, and have my CD, Mouse, and sound card drivers load from the boot disk. All is well with the video now, but now sound is a NO Go! I run sound.exe, and it does detect my sound card and say it is configured to work; but the sound will not work!I have an Aureal vortex 2 sq2500. Luckily, it doesn't crash the game, but I would like to get the sound to work. Any tips and/or advice would sure be appreciated!

Post #: 1
- 10/7/2000 6:25:00 AM   
Red Baron

quote:

Originally posted by NOVA350: I know this is off topic, but I am sure many of you still play SP3, so here goes. I tried to play SP3 in EVERY way possible under WIN98se, but it just wouldn't work- I kept getting a VESA480.dll failed to load error. The sound DID work when I used it in the WIN Dos Box, but the Video was a NO GO! So, I was tired of hassling with the video problem, created a boot disk to play sp3 from DOS, and have my CD, Mouse, and sound card drivers load from the boot disk. All is well with the video now, but now sound is a NO Go! I run sound.exe, and it does detect my sound card and say it is configured to work; but the sound will not work!I have an Aureal vortex 2 sq2500. Luckily, it doesn't crash the game, but I would like to get the sound to work. Any tips and/or advice would sure be appreciated!
Hi Nova.. Try one of these pos: Right now i plat it on Win 98 se. And the only prob. i have encountered, is that you have to make a shortcut with maximized sceen and on some systems it may be nessesary to run the game from the "run" promt to avoid probs with the "dll" files. Win98 DLLs seem to have a problem with DOS games. But you can run it from a shortcut, but you have to do three things. 1) Make sure it is on full screen and 2) suspends the background and 3)no screensaver Regards..Red Baron. ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!!

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 2
- 10/7/2000 6:34:00 AM   
NOVA350

Red Baron- Thanks for the ideas, but I have tried all of that already. I have created a shortcut, and tried it with all of the suggestions that you have given. I also have written a custom config.sys and autoexec.bat file for the shortcut that contained the necessary CD and Mouse drivers + sound Drivers. I rebooted to MS-DOS mode and got the same VESA480.dll error. That is the reason for the boot disk, which works OK (no vesa480.dll error) and I really don't mind using it, it's just with no sound

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 3
- 10/7/2000 7:03:00 AM   
Red Baron

Hi Nova Are you sure that the VESA480.DLL file is in your SP3 directory?? I have just tried to run the game without it and got the excact same message? Regards RB ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!!

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 4
- 10/7/2000 7:09:00 AM   
NOVA350

Yes, Red Baron, it is there.. THanks for trying it out, But please don't put your system in jeopardy :^) That is one of the first things I tried. The error is VESA480.dll load initialization failed. I had to jerry rig SPWAW to get it to work, but once I got it to work, Man, What a neat game! So, I bought SP3 with the hopes that all would go well, but now I am back in the same boat that I first had with SPWAW- it won't work Correctly- (yet):^)

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 5
- 10/7/2000 12:02:00 PM   
Wild Bill

I'm really sorry to hear that, Nova. I've been blessed I guess. I've run all SP games to date on various computers with various sound cards and it has always worked for me. Right now I have SB live and had no problem. I just ran setsound.exe and it found the card, the settings and I was off. I do sympathize with you. It ain't war without sound...kinda like watching Birth of a Nation after watching Gettysburg I hope it does get resolved for you. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 6
- 10/7/2000 2:09:00 PM   
Ilja Varha

I had the same problem but after I installed the game in "real" DOS and ran the Soundsetup from there (I had to manually choose the card as the autodetect crashed my PC). After the install was ready I could run the game from windows with the Steel3.exe... Thank God WAW is windows game... creates less problems. Ilja

Ilja Varha Leader (and proud of it!)of the SPMW development team.

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 7
- 10/8/2000 12:27:00 AM   
NOVA350

Ilja, believe it or not , I tried that TOO! I agree with WAW being a WIN game, but alas, had problems getting that to work. It was worth messing with SPWAW to get it to work! IT is a great game, and with the people that actually orchestrate the production of the game, such as Wild Bill, contibuting to and LISTENING to the gamers on this forum, SPWAW could quite possibly become the best of all time in it's genre. Anybody with any doubts should take a look at the tremendous gains given to the LINUX OS by way of feedback from users, and programmers listeninG! If anybody might have any boot disk suggestions for me regarding the Aureal 8830 chips, please don't hesitate to post! I sure would like to get sound out of SP3

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 8
- 10/8/2000 1:13:00 AM   
Ilja Varha

Well, SP3 sounds are not worth it anyway... when you have heard SPWAW and the goodie sounds it offers, you don't want to hear those puffs you get out of SP3... Ilja

Ilja Varha Leader (and proud of it!)of the SPMW development team.

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 9
- 10/8/2000 2:51:00 PM   
Rickenbacker

I remember having to manually run the VESA driver off of the SP3 CD in order to run the game under Windows 95/98. Haven't had the CD out in years, though, so I don't remember exactly where it is. After I ran that, though, I didn't have any graphics problems at all, as I was effectively running it under the older generic driver I think . ------------------ Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund -------------------------- rickenbacker@innocent.com

Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund -------------------------- rickenbacker@innocent.com

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 10
- 10/9/2000 12:28:00 AM   
NOVA350

Interesting, Rickenbacker... If the VESA480.dll file is the generic driver, how do I run that manually off of the CD and stArt the rest of the game? Doesn't that need instructions to work because it is a .dll file? If you can remember how you did it, please let me know! I tried to find the generic video card VINSTALL setup for the SP3 game, but it is no where to be seen on my cd.

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 11
- 10/9/2000 12:54:00 AM   
Von Rom

How old is your video card? Maybe updating the video card drivers might fix the problem... Good luck ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge...

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 12
- 10/9/2000 10:26:00 AM   
degen

I have SP3 and also use Windows 98, but the game loads fine. The only problem I encountered is that it occasionally crashes without any reason. I found it for $5 at CompUSA, so I can't complain. Since you all play SP3, do you know anything about an upgrade to it? I have read snippets here and there about an upgrade, but I cannot find where to obtain it. Anybody know?

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to NOVA350)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Steel Panthers 3 sound !?! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI