Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A picture of suffering

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: A picture of suffering Page: <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A picture of suffering - 8/28/2008 9:45:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Cap Mandrake

I felt like telling her to go play with a potato masher

Good idea! Give her this "potato masher" as a gift. Be sure to instruct her how to use it properly.

YES! YES! That is exactly the one I was thinking of. I'll check the Williams-Sonoma catalogue.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 2551
I am Siamese if you please.. - 8/30/2008 7:02:53 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Rather than force their way out overland, it looks like the main Jap effort is to evacuate as much as possible by air. On the 16th, ancient Dutch Demons have a field day intercepting Jap transports over Rangoon. On the 17th all the USAAF P-38's in theater are concentrated at Imphal, striking Lashio on the 17 and Mandalay on the 18th. A goodly number of Jap fighters and transports are downed. The airfield and port facilities at Rangoon are also bombed.

The Japs have their successes too. Jacks and Tonys (from Mandalay perhaps) intercept Spits and Chinese bombers over the Burma Road..downing half a dozen. Jap bombers from all the way from Hanoi manage to hit a RNN DD near Moulemein but suffer heavy losses. Also, the Jap rearguard on the Mandalay-Myitkyina railway perfectly times a night withdrawal and pulls back just before a planned attack of 7th Armoured.

Jap paratroopers try to cut off the Indian armor on the rail line South of Rahaeng by landing on the town on the 18th, but are thwarted by the timely arrival of an Indian infantry brigade.

Meanwhile, the other Indian armoured brigade has reached the Gulf of Siam. Lord Admiral Tabpub has advised a push toward Bangkok. I think he is right as there are reinforcements landing at Georgetown and Songkhla. There are also many Jap units in China on the march, undoubtedly headed toward the action.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2552
Yes we have no....mangoes.... - 8/31/2008 6:56:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

********Small Clearing Perimeter, Lyman Field, Hilo, Hawaii, Feb. 19, 1943***********

Major Quimbo is a proud man, or, more accurately, he was a proud man. He was a proud man when General MacArthur personally flew to Cebu, put his hand on his shoulder and asked him to take command of the remnants of the 82nd Philippine Army Division. The General had put a tall, patrician hand on his shoulder and said, "Generoso". In point of fact, it wasn't really such a surprising thing for the General to say such a thing because it was Major Quimbo's first name. I suppose you could also say MacArthur's hands were neither tall nor patrician. The General himself was tall, but his hands were more.....well..like long..yeah that's it, long. The General wasn't really patrician either, but he liked to pretend. The truth be told, the General was a bit of a primadona. Still, it was a moment of great pride for the Major.

"Generoso", the General had said, "You are the most senior officer of the Division still alive, I want you to take your men to Darwin. I shall be down presently". MacArthur said things like that.."presently", I mean. He might of said "soon" or "right away" like a normal person but he liked to say things like "shall" and "presently". It made him seem more patrician and it helped to distinguish him from the enlisted men. I have heard people say he really talked like that in private but I don't buy it for one second. No way.

The General continued, "Major, I want you to mold your dispirited force into a proud unit. Together WE, you and I and the men of the 81st shall return and take back this land."

Of course he said yes. Wouldn't you? I mean, what other gig did he have going? The Major and his men boarded the USS Tambor and left for Australia. Then, somewhere in the Sulu Sea they were bombed by Jap search planes and by some unfathomable set of circumstances, they were diverted to Hilo, Hawaii. That was late may of 1942. Now the tall and patrician General MacArthur was nowhere to be found and they were stuck here living in two tents at a US Army airfield with half a dozen surplus M1's and two colors of leggings. He had no communication with the Philippine Government in exile, if there even was such a thing and the US Army had no orders on what to do with them. At first he had tried his best. He had even recruited a few Filipinos who had been working at a nearby sugar plantation, but there was no pay, there was nobody to fight. It was hard to avoid ennui.

The Major is distracted by shouting among his men. They are building a human pyramid to try to reach some ripe mangoes high up in a tree from which the low-lying fruit has been picked. "At least the fruit is good", he thought. It reminded him of the mangoes from Cebu. At that moment the ungainly pyramid topples over pitching a young fellow onto his neck. "I will not lose 3% of my fighting force for a mango!", he says to himself, standing up. Then, he calls to his men, "You there, that is not how it is done..you must put the bigger ones on the bottom......"

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/2/2008 5:29:50 AM >

Post #: 2553
With the 81st - 8/31/2008 7:09:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/2/2008 5:30:08 AM >

Post #: 2554
RE: With the 82nd - 8/31/2008 7:56:45 PM   
Terminus

"Georgetwon"?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 2555
RE: With the 82nd - 9/1/2008 10:26:11 AM   
Reg

9 forts?????

Well I suppose they needed something to do....

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 2556
RE: With the 82nd - 9/1/2008 10:27:47 AM   
Terminus

It's all relative. 9 forts for 30 men isn't the same as 9 forts for 30,000.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 2557
RE: With the 82nd - 9/1/2008 2:12:56 PM   
BrucePowers

How much concrete did they use?

5 90 pound bags of ready mix?

< Message edited by BrucePowers -- 9/1/2008 5:50:49 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2558
RE: With the 81st - 9/1/2008 4:14:47 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

9 forts?????

Well I suppose they needed something to do....

********Small Clearing Perimeter, Lyman Field, Hilo, Hawaii, Feb. 19, 1943***********

Major Quimbo, mango in hand, heads out of the bright sun into the cool of a surprise canyon. The walls are covered with ferns and water trickles from several spots in the wall.
It is the mouth of a lava tube perhaps 20 feet in diameter. He comes to a barrier of pumice boulders which reach almost to the ceiling. In the center there is an old C-47 door which has been welded to iron supports driven into the rock. The Major raps on the door.

"Halt, who goes there?", comes a voice through a small slit in the rocks. It is a young man's voice, purposely and artificially lowered in timber to add authority.

"Oh, cut it out Marcos, it's hot out here, let me in........"

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/2/2008 5:30:34 AM >

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 2559
RE: With the 82nd - 9/1/2008 5:52:32 PM   
BrucePowers

Ya know, if you moved them to Pearl, maybe they would rebuild faster.

Post #: 2560
With the 81st...wait where did they go? - 9/2/2008 5:37:46 AM   
Cap Mandrake

I am not making this up. I do a whole backstory on the men of the 81st Philippine Army Division building their own Malinta Tunnel near Hilo and the very next game day (2-20)....they are gone...all 33 of them!

I checked on Oahu too. They aren't at Madame Wu's.

Maybe they died of boredom?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/2/2008 5:38:45 AM >

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 2561
With the 81st...wait where did they go?...oh,here they ... - 9/2/2008 9:42:06 AM   
tabpub

Hold #3 USS Sawokla----off Hilo Anchorage.

About 30 men sit around eating K-rations and mangoes.

Marcos: I wonder what's up; those Shore Patrolmen weren't very polite....you'd think we were deserters the way they surrounded us up in our valley fortress.....

Ferninand: <grunts>....Well, they at least let us bring our mangoes...these K-Ration things aren't that good....though this SPAM is delightful, I will say. Mr Hormel should be proud of his product.

Marcos: Ferdinand, you are from Mindinao, right?

Ferdinand: Yes.

Marcos: And you are a Muslim, no?

Ferdinand: Yes; and your point?

Marcos: <hears hatch open> Oh, nevermind; enjoy the SpHaaaammm food. <sees the Major come thru the hatch> Oh, Major!! Find out what is up with all this????

Quimbo: Yes, yes I have; gather round all!! <shuffling of 60 feet for some 10 seconds>
Well, the SP's were confused; being white Navy boys, they thought that we were stewards who had jumped ship from the Fleet. I have that all straightened out now; and better news!!

Many voices: What? Tell!! Where are we going in this tub!?

Quimbo: AUSTRALIA!! <much murmuring, rising in pitch>

Quimbo: SILENCE!! I know....I know, why Australia....well, the 81st is reforming there under a Major General that I have never heard of; but, it is a fact. We will be sailing to rejoin the unit and we can finally lose this /2 tag off our unit ID. It is promised that we will be back in the fight and leading the way for the Allied forces back to our homeland!!
<deafening shouts and much jumping and back slapping>
Ok, ok; quiet down again. It's a long voyage to Australia and then a train ride to Darwin where the Division is located. So, let's work out the daily schedule for training and calesthentics.
<the cargo hatch over head rumbles open and soon a large pallet filled with boxes marked SPAM is lowered into the hold>

Ferdinand: GREAT!! More SPAM! We will eat well on this journey!!

Quimbo: Don't you know what Sp....<interrupted by Marcos grabbing his arm and shaking his head negatively>....eed this convoy will be going? Don't eat too much, you will be seasick...<shakes his head and mutters soto voce> What a war.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tabpub -- 9/2/2008 9:44:30 AM >

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

Post #: 2562
RE: With the 81st...wait where did they go?...oh,here t... - 9/2/2008 3:47:18 PM   
Cap Mandrake

HUZZAH! HUZZAH! They are found!

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 2563
This just in! Japs trying to win! - 9/2/2008 3:48:06 PM   
Cap Mandrake

More to follow.

Post #: 2564
Important Safety Tip - 9/2/2008 4:27:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So, Sunday, Stalker Girl talks me into going to this street fair thingy. It is pretty fun. Goods bands. $4 Amber Bocks, $6 Italian Sausage sandwiches. No carnies. I have no cash with me so she is nice enough to buy me a couple of beers and we are walking along taking in the sights. An early 20-something babe cuts in front of me, making full use of her jeans which appear to have been shrunk in place. A signal quickly emerges from the reptilian part of my brain, forcing itself past roadblocks that are now unmanned because of yeast excrement. I think to myself, "Nice ***!".

Or at least I thought I said it to myself. Stalker Girl turns towards me immediately and says, "What the **** did you just say?"

Here is the safety tip. Don't do the same thing.

Post #: 2565
RE: Important Safety Tip - 9/2/2008 4:28:45 PM   
Terminus

Post #: 2566
RE: Important Safety Tip - 9/2/2008 4:36:34 PM   
BrucePowers

Ahhhh Yup. One has to be very careful.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2567
Biff...Bam....POW! - 9/2/2008 5:19:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2568
RE: Biff...Bam....POW! - 9/2/2008 8:20:45 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Time for an upgrade -- the P-40E isn't a front-line fighter any more.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

Post #: 2569
RE: Biff...Bam....POW! - 9/2/2008 9:06:16 PM   
tabpub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Time for an upgrade -- the P-40E isn't a front-line fighter any more.

Well, they were out-numbered 4 to 1 and took down an equal amount with them....
Now, as to WHY they were out-numbered....well that is a SEAC thing. I hear that now the P38 groups have taken over the CAP over Moulmein.
The Generalissimo will be glad to have the P40's once the Road is open again and the steak and beer flow freely to the Yangtze.....

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2570
RE: With the 81st...wait where did they go?...oh,here t... - 9/3/2008 12:05:12 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub

Hold #3 USS Sawokla----off Hilo Anchorage.

About 30 men sit around eating K-rations and mangoes.

Ferdinand: GREAT!! More SPAM! We will eat well on this journey!!

Quimbo: Don't you know what Sp....<interrupted by Marcos grabbing his arm and shaking his head negatively>....eed this convoy will be going? Don't eat too much, you will be seasick...<shakes his head and mutters soto voce> What a war.....

My father loved the stuff. He used to fry it up on a cast iron skillet

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 2571
RE: With the 81st...wait where did they go?...oh,here t... - 9/3/2008 3:07:04 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

So, Sunday, Stalker Girl talks me into going to this street fair thingy. It is pretty fun. Goods bands. $4 Amber Bocks, $6 Italian Sausage sandwiches. No carnies. I have no cash with me so she is nice enough to buy me a couple of beers and we are walking along taking in the sights. An early 20-something babe cuts in front of me, making full use of her jeans which appear to have been shrunk in place. A signal quickly emerges from the reptilian part of my brain, forcing itself past roadblocks that are now unmanned because of yeast excrement. I think to myself, "Nice ***!".

Or at least I thought I said it to myself. Stalker Girl turns towards me immediately and says, "What the **** did you just say?"

Here is the safety tip. Don't do the same thing.

If reptile-man were not 'conning' the brain at the time, you would have shot back:

CM: "Nice the way that jerk stepped right in front of me - I almost tripped trying not to run into him!"

SG: "It's a 'her'."

CM: "Didn't notice - too busy not tripping."

It might have worked!

Post #: 2572
RE: With the 81st...wait where did they go?...oh,here t... - 9/3/2008 8:29:52 AM   
bradfordkay

As long as Stalker Girl's name isn't Lorena you should be able to weather this storm, but you'd best keep your mind under control from here on out. Women remember that stuff forever...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2573
RE: With the 81st...wait where did they go?...oh,here t... - 9/7/2008 4:08:03 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub

Marcos: Ferdinand, you are from Mindinao, right?

Ferdinand: Yes.

Marcos: And you are a Muslim, no?

Ferdinand: Yes; and your point?

Perhaps Father Emmanoulides can come by and give confession when the trip is over. In the meantime, I say let him enjoy himself.

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 2574
The fitS hit the Shan - 9/7/2008 5:15:58 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**********No. 225 Group HQ, RAF, Moulmein, Burma, 07:20, Feb. 19, 1943*********

Vice Admiral Sir G. S. Arbuthnot, KCB, DSO was an unhappy man. True, there is a lot of that going around, but, in this case I can't blame him. To begin, he had been brought down a notch or two. At the start of the war, he had been C-in-C of East Indies command, then, in some imponderable maelstrom of entropy, a single chad on his Admiralty Service Specialty Binary Inventory of Training and Expertise IBM card had been partly dislodged when a secretary at Whitehall had inadvertently interjected his ASSBITE card between her bottom and a misplaced knitting needle. The presence of the knitting needle at Whitehall had been a serious security breech and there are suspicions but that is a story for another time.

In any event, he had been converted from an expert in naval warfare to a man who could do an outside loop in a Spitfire with his eyes closed, well, at least that is what his ASSBITE card said. Sure, he had protested. After all, he came from a long line of Royal Navy Admirals going back to the 18th century. He had sailed at Jutland. He recalled one particularly frustrating conversation with a clerk at Eastern Fleet HQ.

"Look, I have a commission in the Royal Navy. Do you not see my uniform?"

"Sorry sir, that is not what your ASSBITE card says. It says here...<refers to form>..expert in aerial combat and East Asian cooking."

"Now look here, I DETEST curry."

"Sorry sir, that's not what it says here."

"But I sailed with Jellicoe!"

"Sorry sir, there is no field for that."

"Look, there has been a terrible mistake, is there no way I can be transferred back to the Royal Navy?"

"Oh, yes sir. You need only petition the RAF Service Change Review Enterprise - West/ Uniformed-personnel."

"SPLENDID..oh..sorry, I mean SWIMMING! Where can I find the....?"

"Oh the RAF SCRE-W/U office, you mean, sir?"

"Yes, yes, SCRE-W/U, that's what I want."

"Why, it's right across the parade ground, 4th bungalow on the right, No. 22, sir."

"SWIMMING!" <turns to leave>

"Oh sir, I wouldn't advise you do that sir."

<stops, looks a bit piqued> "Why is that son?"

"Why, it's lunch time sir."

<looks at watch> "BLAST! when will they be back?"

"Oh, they won't sir."

<now growing more angry> "Why is that, son?"

"Well sir, they closed in January 1941. It seems nobody wanted to leave the RAF. Apparently it's the uniform sir. It acts like a chic magnet....."

The Admiral shook himself from his unpleasant reverie...there was a job to do.

(to be continued)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/7/2008 6:09:51 PM >

Post #: 2575
RE: The fit hits the Shan - 9/7/2008 5:39:18 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2576
RE: The fit hits the Shan - 9/7/2008 5:39:43 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2577
RE: The fits hit the Shan - 9/7/2008 6:09:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**********No. 225 Group HQ, RAF, Moulmein, Burma, 07:20, Feb. 19, 1943*********

(Cont)

Staff officer with completely uninteresting personal story, even to his own mother: Sir, do you recall your wish that we consider other resources to protect the airfield and the dozens of ships in harbour and those ingressing and egressing, given that all the P-38's had been called away to Imphal and also given that even the two Beaufighter squadrons had been redeployed leaving us with only 37 operational P-40E's and 6 obsolescent Demons? Do you recall that discussion sir?"

Vice Admiral Arbuthnot: Yes, yes, I do.

Staff officer with completely uninteresting personal story, even to his own mother: Well sir, we put in a request for some Spits to be shipped in, but as they are beyond ferry range and as they will have to be crated and shipped in by transport, requiring some time to reassemble, and therefore, we will have to make do with what we have for now and given that we are having trouble with the radar system, a number of us felt we might need some alternative early warning system.

Vice Admiral Arbuthnot:I am listening.

Staff officer with completely uninteresting personal story, even to his own mother: Well, sir, are you familiar with the Shan?

Vice Admiral Arbuthnot: The Shan?

Staff officer with completely uninteresting personal story, even to his own mother:Yes sir, the Shan people of Eastern Burma. A certain number among them are said to be clairvoyant. I have taken the liberty of employing a number of them who are said to have this power in the early warning role. I have 15 arrayed in an arc along the axis of likely Jap attack. I am told when they perceive danger, they enter an epileptic state. <just then, one of the Shan at the SE end of the runway falls to the ground, shaking and foaming at the mouth. Within seconds the Shan to his right and left meet a similar fate.>

Vice Admiral Arbuthnot: INCOMING BOGIES BEARING 150, MANY! GET THOSE P-40'S IN THE AIR. ALERT THE SHIPS IN HARBOUR......

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/7/2008 6:10:42 PM >

Post #: 2578
RE: The fits hit the Shan - 9/7/2008 6:49:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

It was an interesting play by the Jap, which are a clever foe, even if they have bad teeth.

They began to base a large number of elite fighters at Mandalay and a fair number at Lashio. After their air evacuation efforts through Rangoon were put to an end (by LRCAP out of Moulemin), it was my suspicion they were getting troops out of the Northern Burma pocket by air from Mandalay. The Mandalay and Lashio airfields needed to be shut down, but all the longer range fighters were in Southern Burma. The big Jap airfield at Bangkok remained a threat, however. On the 17th, recon showed no bombers at Bangkok, just 200 fighters and several hundred transports. With this information, the P-38's were redeployed to Imphal on the 18th and led a big raid on Lashio, destroying a squadron of Sallys and 8-10 Jacks. Jap recon, however, discovered the CAP had been weakened over Moulmein. On the 19th, the P-38's swept the air over Mandalay, destroying a dozen Jacks in the air. B-25's and Wellys smashed the airfield.

But the Jap had a plan. 198 Jacks and Tonys from Bangkok swept over the airspace at Moulmein, provoking a number of seizures and engaging 37 P-40E's and 6 Demons. All the Demons and all but one of the operational P-40's were destroyed but an equal number of Jacks and Tonys fell. All but 14 of the P-40 pilots parachuted to safety. The same cannot be said of the Jack and Tony pilots, but the way was now open for lightly escorted bombers from Hanoi and Andaman. A the many dozens of ships near Moulemin, a total of 12-13 Allied AK's and AP's were hit. The PG Hollyhock, with Adm Draemel aboard , attracted 3 torps and was sunk. One AK sunk the next morning and 1 or 2 more will likely succumb to their damage, though it might have been worse.

Most of the AK's were empties headed back to Chandpur or were unloading supplies only. One AK with men of the 45th Indian Brigade was hit leading to 200 casualties and oen AK carrying a Spitfire squadron was hit, destroying 10 crated Spits, but leaving the pilots and remainder of the squadron to safely unload.

Lord Admiral Tabpub was less than pleased as the P-40's were on loan from China Command

The Japs have evacuated Bangkok airfield. B-17's and LB-30's were redeployed to Moulmein (along with the P-38's) and paid a visit over Bangkok on the 20th. Hanoi and Georgetown seem to be the major air threats at this time. The Jap bombers and fighters at Andaman were destroyed on the 20th when they went after RN carriers escorting troop ships from Chandpur.

This was by far the biggest non-carrier based Jap fighter force assembled for the war up to date. They downed 36 P-40E's and 6 Demons but, despite a nearly 5:1 ratio in the air, lost an equal number of their best Jacks and Tonys, including a disproportionate number of pilots. They sunk Hollyhock and one AK, with one or two more likely to sink. They have to be less than completely satisfied with the result. Of course, that could be my spin.

Post #: 2579
RE: The fits hit the Shan - 9/7/2008 9:02:02 PM   
BrucePowers

Keep telling yourself that

Post #: 2580
Page:   <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: A picture of suffering Page: <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI