Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Paratroopers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Paratroopers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Paratroopers - 9/17/2008 1:30:37 AM   
Mickrocks201

Wayyyy tooooo powerful!!!! They can jump every turn and cause extreme havoc by allowing breakthrough after breakthrough. Consider not allowing them to jump the turn following a jump and/or that they need to be adjacent to a city prior to jumping. No question that airborne needs to have its place, but not every turn of an offensive.
Post #: 1
RE: Paratroopers - 9/17/2008 1:56:32 AM   
geozero

I would go further and suggest that they can only "jump" once every 3 months.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to Mickrocks201)
Post #: 2
RE: Paratroopers - 9/17/2008 3:48:43 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

ORIGINAL: mickrocks

Wayyyy tooooo powerful!!!! They can jump every turn and cause extreme havoc by allowing breakthrough after breakthrough. Consider not allowing them to jump the turn following a jump and/or that they need to be adjacent to a city prior to jumping. No question that airborne needs to have its place, but not every turn of an offensive.

Actually, after my first Axis game against the AI, I got a lot more cautious with the paratroops. They were blasted by the Soviet armor when I tried to use them to isolate Soviet units. The supply being judged at start of turn gives the Allies a large edge against paratroops.

Also, the presence of enemy air can really ruin their day. There's nothing like seing a unit it took 3 turns of production to build take nearly 50% losses on landing .

Post #: 3
RE: Paratroopers - 9/17/2008 9:41:44 AM   
balenami1291

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Dubost

Actually, after my first Axis game against the AI, I got a lot more cautious with the paratroops. They were blasted by the Soviet armor when I tried to use them to isolate Soviet units. The supply being judged at start of turn gives the Allies a large edge against paratroops.

Also, the presence of enemy air can really ruin their day. There's nothing like seing a unit it took 3 turns of production to build take nearly 50% losses on landing .

IF

- you have quite air superiority;
- you use paratrooper just beyond enemy lines (so they can help armor & infantry adding one more odd column, one bonus hexside) with good chances to remain in supply and the end of the turn.

THEN

Since rebuild paratroopers is much expensive and supply rules are so heavy with units "out of supply", a player is not encouraged to use beyond enemy line (as "market garden" or "D-Day") but as an powerfull "jumpin-frog" infantry unit.
In this way paratroopers are too strong and they don't make their historical jobs.

Just my 2 cents...

Another issue:

What do you think about paratroopers can move after Drops ??

Ok it's useful because they must take a supply source before turn ends but I think is not realistic ...

excuse my bad English.

< Message edited by mi1291 -- 9/17/2008 9:50:18 AM >

(in reply to Mike Dubost)
Post #: 4
RE: Paratroopers - 9/17/2008 1:43:53 PM   
Mickrocks201

quote:

ORIGINAL: mi1291

quote:

IF

- you use paratrooper just beyond enemy lines (so they can help armor & infantry adding one more odd column, one bonus hexside) with good chances to remain in supply and the end of the turn.

THEN

Since rebuild paratroopers is much expensive and supply rules are so heavy with units "out of supply", a player is not encouraged to use beyond enemy line (as "market garden" or "D-Day") but as an powerfull "jumpin-frog" infantry unit.
In this way paratroopers are too strong and they don't make their historical jobs.

Just my 2 cents...

Another issue:

Ok it's useful because they must take a supply source before turn ends but I think is not realistic ...

excuse my bad English.

Exactly. No need to send paras into harms way, just use them to crack lines. In essence they end up being "cheap" air power, since if you use them in a 7-1 attack they never lose much strength while to get a 5-1 to 7-1 using air power it might cost 2 or 3 (or more) points of air strength which are not only costly to replace, but to replace them the air unit is not available that turn. That a para unit can be used turn after turn to leap over the lines to enable 7-1 armor breakthroughs is just brutal for the defenders.

(in reply to balenami1291)
Post #: 5
RE: Paratroopers - 9/18/2008 3:42:48 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

quote:

IF

THEN

Just my 2 cents...

Another issue:

excuse my bad English.

No problem with your English. You communicate the information, so that is all that is required. Heck, you write English much better than I would write any other language.

My efforts in the USSR with the German paratroops did in fact use them only to capture the last hex or so to complete an encirclement, but due to the Soviets still being in supply for their turn, it proved to be hard on the paratroops. If you limit your use of them to tactical drops just behind enemy units, maybe that would make them more powerful. I am not sure we should call this against history though, given that the first combat use of the German Fallshirmjager (I hope I am spelling that right) was against the forts in Belgium to open the path for the main forces, more or less in the way you describe.

I do think they should be allowed to move after drops. If you look at the history of the 82nd and 101st in Normandy (I hugely enjoyed the miniseries Band of Brothers), you see that they were used extensively in the weeks immediately after D-Day as (in effect), light infantry, starting immediately after landing. Then they were pulled back to the UK to rest and refit. During the next few months, several drops were planned but called off due to rapid advance of the main armies in August and September. This makes me reluctant to endorse a limitation of drop frequency, but maybe every other turn would be OK.

That being said, after considering your points, I think it would be a good idea to require paratroops to start in or ajacent to a city in order to jump. This would be close to matching they way they were used historically by most of the combatants and limit their power somewhat, while still allowing signifcant flexibility in their use.

I did find out that paratroops require a certain level of supply in order to jump, so they cannot be used in all locations (I took Denmark with a paratrooper, and forgot to run a supply convoy, so I had a 1-turn delay in my Norway attack).

I am enjoying this discussion. Thanks for the food for thought.

Post #: 6
RE: Paratroopers - 9/18/2008 12:11:09 PM   
Twotribes

A turn represents a week , 2 weeks or a month. The Paras should be able to move after dropping.

Post #: 7
RE: Paratroopers - 9/18/2008 4:15:06 PM   
comrade

The other idea I have is to allow paras to jump only when they are inactive (i.e. do not spend a single AP) for x turns (it would be configurable, with defauylt value 2 or 3).  This could reflect preparing for the operation far from the combat.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 8
RE: Paratroopers - 9/18/2008 7:36:48 PM   
Twotribes

Once again a turn represents either a week, 2 weeks or a month. How long do you think it took to prepare for an operation?

(in reply to comrade)
Post #: 9
RE: Paratroopers - 9/18/2008 9:22:59 PM   
balenami1291

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes
Once again a turn represents either a week, 2 weeks or a month. How long do you think it took to prepare for an operation?

Twotribes,

I think about your post above and you have right.
Paratroops can move after landing.

But It's a strategic game.
Strategically "prepare for an operation" became a complex operation:
1) You must refit your men;
2) replace your loss (it isn't so simply became a good paratrooper to launch beyond enemy lines:
after Arnhem, °°English°° army made no more strategic drop)
3) prepare a plan to drop airborne units & after rescue paratroopers with a smashing land operations.
4) Planned mission was delayed for weather conditions or quickly changes in Strategic / Operational conditions.

during the war **STRATEGIC** Airborne operations wasn't so much....

I think a delay simulates at high level ALL above strategic factors and , Looking at gameplay, "gamey" became more difficult.

Just my 2 cents.

quote:

ORIGINAL: comrade
The other idea I have is to allow paras to jump only when they are inactive (i.e. do not spend a single AP) for x turns (it would be configurable, with default value 2 or 3). This could reflect preparing for the operation far from the combat.

Comrade,

I think what you suggest is very good.

When you tells "inactive": a unit taking replacement is inactive or not ???

Thanks

< Message edited by mi1291 -- 9/18/2008 9:23:55 PM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 10
RE: Paratroopers - 9/19/2008 2:25:02 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

quote:

Twotribes,

I think about your post above and you have right.
Paratroops can move after landing.

But It's a strategic game.
Strategically "prepare for an operation" became a complex operation:
1) You must refit your men;
2) replace your loss (it isn't so simply became a good paratrooper to launch beyond enemy lines:
after Arnhem, °°English°° army made no more strategic drop)
3) prepare a plan to drop airborne units & after rescue paratroopers with a smashing land operations.
4) Planned mission was delayed for weather conditions or quickly changes in Strategic / Operational conditions.

during the war **STRATEGIC** Airborne operations wasn't so much....

I think a delay simulates at high level ALL above strategic factors and , Looking at gameplay, "gamey" became more difficult.

Just my 2 cents.

quote:

ORIGINAL: comrade
The other idea I have is to allow paras to jump only when they are inactive (i.e. do not spend a single AP) for x turns (it would be configurable, with default value 2 or 3). This could reflect preparing for the operation far from the combat.

Comrade,

I think what you suggest is very good.

When you tells "inactive": a unit taking replacement is inactive or not ???

Thanks

I am reluctant to see an imposed delay. At most, it should be 1 turn. It was possible to launch airborne operations on short notice. Granted, the primary example is the drop into the Salerno beachhead, which was not a textbook operation. On the other hand, the only way the (more thoroughly planned) Sicily drop would make it into a textbook would be as an example of what not to do (dispersed drop zones, long over-water night flight with green transport pilots, etc).

To address your first two points, the need for refit /replacement would come about as a result of losses, which would simply use the existing replacement procedure (i.e., no operations on the turn of replacement). Is there a parameter that determines the % loss on landing? If so, adjusting this parameter could satisfy those who think paratroops are too overpowered, without requiring major re-progamming of the game system.

I wonder if there is some way to "borrow" an idea from World in Flames. WiF uses a separate air transport unit to fly the paratroops around. Is there some way to do this? We could even have it as a research category to have increased range, or something.

This is my 2 cents, which nowadays won't buy anything .

Post #: 11
RE: Paratroopers - 9/19/2008 2:32:24 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

We are planning to create this as a moddable parameter.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 12
RE: Paratroopers - 9/20/2008 12:57:53 AM   
Mickrocks201

The basic thought I had was in keeping an otherwise manageable front from collapsing after 5 or six turns of airborne/armor assaulting.   This is especially true when the defender has little reserves to go after the para, or contain the constant breakthrus as is the case with Russia early and Germany later.   The flow of the game in human v human is in other respects very well paced, but using these combined arms para attacks turn after turn after turn will ruin any ability to form a consistent defense  very quickly.   Plus with the para being able to drop many hexs away from its current position and of armor to be able to move also many hexes.. it is very difficult to stem the leaks once the wall starts to crumble.   I feel that this is only because of the flexibilty of using an airborne unit each turn - not only does the para get you to a 7-1 more cheaply than using air, but it makes trying to form a defense around the breakthru more difficult. 

Perhaps a good method would be not to allow an airborne unit to jump again untill it has been stragegically moved.  That will make the process of jumping more in line with reality not only do you have to move it close to a city but you must use a SM to activate its ability to jump again (maybe that would be a way to abstract the air transport needed as well as preparation and planning).

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 13
RE: Paratroopers - 9/20/2008 3:30:19 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

The basic thought I had was in keeping an otherwise manageable front from collapsing after 5 or six turns of airborne/armor assaulting.   This is especially true when the defender has little reserves to go after the para, or contain the constant breakthrus as is the case with Russia early and Germany later.   The flow of the game in human v human is in other respects very well paced, but using these combined arms para attacks turn after turn after turn will ruin any ability to form a consistent defense  very quickly.   Plus with the para being able to drop many hexs away from its current position and of armor to be able to move also many hexes.. it is very difficult to stem the leaks once the wall starts to crumble.   I feel that this is only because of the flexibilty of using an airborne unit each turn - not only does the para get you to a 7-1 more cheaply than using air, but it makes trying to form a defense around the breakthru more difficult. 

Perhaps a good method would be not to allow an airborne unit to jump again untill it has been stragegically moved.  That will make the process of jumping more in line with reality not only do you have to move it close to a city but you must use a SM to activate its ability to jump again (maybe that would be a way to abstract the air transport needed as well as preparation and planning).

In general, I subscribe to the theory that it is better to present the player with the widest possible array of choices. I would prefer to allow the player to have the option of doing paradrops more frequently while making it expensive to do so. In that spirit, I suggest a 3-point plan to allow multi-turn paradrops while "disincentivizing" the practice:

1. Require the paratroop unit to be in or adjacent to a city in order to drop.
2. Increase the loss on landing slightly, even with air supperiority.
3. Give a unit which paradrops an efficiency penalty (cumnulative for each paradrop), which only goes away if the unit does not paradrop for a turn.

The idea behind item 1 is to simulate the need to concentrate the division and load it aboard air transports at secure air bases. This could use the logic which identifies a legal hex for stategic movement destination, for ease of coding.

Item 2 is to better simluate the historical experience of the Western Allies. For example, the US/CW had total air superiority over Normandy during the D-Day drop, yet the paratroops experienced noticeable loss on landing.

Item 3 is to simulate the scattering of paratroops which occurred during all drops in the course of the war. If the division had immediately left on another paradrop, many of these men would have been left behind.

I feel that the combined effect of these 3 points would be to place the player in a position similar to an actual commander attempting to do his own cost/benefit analysis on the use of paratroops. Yes, you could use them over and over again, but at a price. A more cautious player like me would be reluctant to continuously paradrop units. A more desperate or "risk tolerant" player would still be able to use his paratroops multiple turns, but after a few turns, he would find few troopers remaining available for the drop.

What do you think?

Post #: 14
RE: Paratroopers - 9/20/2008 1:45:32 PM   
James Ward

If you have enough PP's to keep dropping prtroopers turn after turn then you are probably already in an overwhelming position.
Para's, like air, are expensive to build and maintain and shold be used judiciously. They should be prime targets and attacked at every opportunity.

Post #: 15
RE: Paratroopers - 9/20/2008 3:05:46 PM   
Plainian

quote:

quote:

In general, I subscribe to the theory that it is better to present the player with the widest possible array of choices. I would prefer to allow the player to have the option of doing paradrops more frequently while making it expensive to do so. In that spirit, I suggest a 3-point plan to allow multi-turn paradrops while "disincentivizing" the practice:

3. Give a unit which paradrops an efficiency penalty (cumnulative for each paradrop), which only goes away if the unit does not paradrop for a turn.

The idea behind item 1 is to simulate the need to concentrate the division and load it aboard air transports at secure air bases. This could use the logic which identifies a legal hex for stategic movement destination, for ease of coding.

Item 2 is to better simluate the historical experience of the Western Allies. For example, the US/CW had total air superiority over Normandy during the D-Day drop, yet the paratroops experienced noticeable loss on landing.

Item 3 is to simulate the scattering of paratroops which occurred during all drops in the course of the war. If the division had immediately left on another paradrop, many of these men would have been left behind.

I feel that the combined effect of these 3 points would be to place the player in a position similar to an actual commander attempting to do his own cost/benefit analysis on the use of paratroops. Yes, you could use them over and over again, but at a price. A more cautious player like me would be reluctant to continuously paradrop units. A more desperate or "risk tolerant" player would still be able to use his paratroops multiple turns, but after a few turns, he would find few troopers remaining available for the drop.

What do you think?

Of the 3 ideas above I like idea 1....but I'd modify it so that the Para unit had to be adjacent to an Air unit at start of a turn. Represents the build of logistics required for drops and long term planning required for the drop.

I'd also like to see Divisions that drop only have 2 action points when they land.

I think the game engine caters for Item 2 and possibly 3 in that units will go low in supply and thus drop strength.

I'm also eager to see what the moddable parameters that Doomtrader hinted at will be.

Post #: 16
RE: Paratroopers - 9/21/2008 8:46:17 PM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plain Ian

quote:

quote:

What do you think?

Of the 3 ideas above I like idea 1....but I'd modify it so that the Para unit had to be adjacent to an Air unit at start of a turn. Represents the build of logistics required for drops and long term planning required for the drop.

I'd also like to see Divisions that drop only have 2 action points when they land.

I think the game engine caters for Item 2 and possibly 3 in that units will go low in supply and thus drop strength.

I'm also eager to see what the moddable parameters that Doomtrader hinted at will be.

I agree with your suggestion for Item 1, they should indeed have to start the turn there.

As far as the game engine having Item 2, yes there is some loss on landing based upon enemy air activity, but even with zero enemy air activity, there should be some loss (based upon the actual events of June 5/6, 1944), so my suggestion is to tweek this paramenter.

Item 3 is not taken into account in the supply rules at present. The objection to paratroops as currently constituted is that they can be used to crack any line and drop every turn, if the drop zone is right behind the line and can be reached immediately by friendly troops. In this case, they would not have low supply at the start of the next turn, unless the line is far from a city. This is what another poster above implicitly thinks of as a "tactical" drop instead of the strategic drops (Market-Garden).

I like your idea of a smaller number of action points after a drop. I am not sure what the ideal amount is, I think we would have to try it out to see.

I think the moddable parameter would be a "hardcoded" can't drop within X turns of a previous drop. I agree this would stop the more gamey strategies, but I would rather have the player free to make a choice, with costs and benefits on each side.

I would emphasize that this is my opinion, and no matter how this is resolved, I do enjoy the game.

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 17
RE: Paratroopers - 9/23/2008 7:50:01 AM   
doomtrader

Ian, you will be able to set how many turns paras can't do anything to be able to paradrop.
I think we will set it to three, but you will be able to change it in csv file.

Post #: 18
RE: Paratroopers - 9/23/2008 11:51:01 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Ian, you will be able to set how many turns paras can't do anything to be able to paradrop.

And remind me what program will open a CSV file?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 19
RE: Paratroopers - 9/23/2008 11:57:11 AM   
JudgeDredd

The beauty of a CSV file is that you can open it up with a text editor. Notepad will do it...NotePad++ is even better

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 20
RE: Paratroopers - 9/23/2008 12:04:53 PM   
doomtrader

of course you can use MS Excel :)

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: Paratroopers - 9/23/2008 3:34:41 PM   
Mickrocks201

You do not necessarily have to be in an overwhelming position. You are just looking for an overwhelming position locally at the point of your attack.

The key is to use the Para in conjunction with your armor to get a 7-1 on a defender -- especially where you could only attack the defender from 2 hexes. The Para gives you the 3rd hex and associated bonus to push the odds up. In this situation the attackers do not take any losses (or very light losses) so the para remains pretty much intact. The attacker can then run some armor or motorized units thru the hole to either protect the para, or cause the defender enough grief that the para is the least of their worries.

For this to happen once, is great for game play. Classic blitz. But to be able to use the same para again the next turn and the turn after to continue the havoc I think is a bit much.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 22
RE: Paratroopers - 9/23/2008 3:37:27 PM   
Mickrocks201

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Sounds like a reasonable solution! Perhaps add to the game preference screen?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 23
RE: Paratroopers - 9/23/2008 5:53:07 PM   
James Ward

quote:

You do not necessarily have to be in an overwhelming position. You are just looking for an overwhelming position locally at the point of your attack.

The key is to use the Para in conjunction with your armor to get a 7-1 on a defender -- especially where you could only attack the defender from 2 hexes. The Para gives you the 3rd hex and associated bonus to push the odds up. In this situation the attackers do not take any losses (or very light losses) so the para remains pretty much intact. The attacker can then run some armor or motorized units thru the hole to either protect the para, or cause the defender enough grief that the para is the least of their worries.

For this to happen once, is great for game play. Classic blitz. But to be able to use the same para again the next turn and the turn after to continue the havoc I think is a bit much.

If the key points in the line is being held by such a weak unit that 2 attacking units give you 7-1 then I'd say your position is pretty good!

Post #: 24
RE: Paratroopers - 9/23/2008 7:21:17 PM   
Mickrocks201

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

quote:

If the key points in the line is being held by such a weak unit that 2 attacking units give you 7-1 then I'd say your position is pretty good!

It is most difficult for the Germans to keep every hex on the Russian front occupied by max level inf corps especially if they have US/BRITS attacking in Italy or France. I would not consider the following as "on the ropes" for the Germans. But they would be hard pressed to keep any sort of line after 2 or 3 more consecutive turns of Russian armor/para assaults. Only place they Russians can get the 7-1 w/out air support is this attack or the 6-4 inf corps that can be attacked with 3 armor corp plus paradrop. Most times you just don't have the movement points to get every unit into perfect position.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 25
RE: Paratroopers - 9/23/2008 7:54:07 PM   
James Ward

quote:

It is most difficult for the Germans to keep every hex on the Russian front occupied by max level inf corps especially if they have US/BRITS attacking in Italy or France. I would not consider the following as "on the ropes" for the Germans. But they would be hard pressed to keep any sort of line after 2 or 3 more consecutive turns of Russian armor/para assaults. Only place they Russians can get the 7-1 w/out air support is this attack or the 6-4 inf corps that can be attacked with 3 armor corp plus paradrop. Most times you just don't have the movement points to get every unit into perfect position. [/font]

The problem in this picture is't the paratroopers it's all the armor:).

If you are the Axis and worried about the continued use of paratroopers turn after turn then they should be attacked after each drop. The replacement cost will easily equal the cost of a new armor corps after a few drops. Personally I'd rather be facing the para's every turn than have another armored corp added to the Russian OB! :)

Post #: 26
RE: Paratroopers - 9/23/2008 8:45:38 PM   
Mickrocks201

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

quote:

It is most difficult for the Germans to keep every hex on the Russian front occupied by max level inf corps especially if they have US/BRITS attacking in Italy or France. I would not consider the following as "on the ropes" for the Germans. But they would be hard pressed to keep any sort of line after 2 or 3 more consecutive turns of Russian armor/para assaults. Only place they Russians can get the 7-1 w/out air support is this attack or the 6-4 inf corps that can be attacked with 3 armor corp plus paradrop. Most times you just don't have the movement points to get every unit into perfect position.

The problem in this picture is't the paratroopers it's all the armor:).

If you are the Axis and worried about the continued use of paratroopers turn after turn then they should be attacked after each drop. The replacement cost will easily equal the cost of a new armor corps after a few drops. Personally I'd rather be facing the para's every turn than have another armored corp added to the Russian OB! :)

The only reason the Russians have so much armor is that w/the paratrooper, they never lost very much armor or air points, so they were able to buy new armor/motorize corps instead of having to rebuild their existing ones. This is the 4th turn in a row that that airborne units has jumped. The Russians no longer need to risk any armor in 4-1 or 5-1 wear down attacks - just punch one hole and pour armor/motorized units thru it.

The Germans are forced to use their armor to plug holes in the line instead of having a reserve to counter attack. Plus German need to replace at least one inf corp that was destroyed and find 2 or 3 others to contain the new salient. The cost for this type of offensive for Russia is maybe 20-30 pp while the Germans are forced to spend everything trying to patch things up. You reach a tipping point pretty quickly. If I had to use air units instead of the para then the offensive would have started to lose steam after a few turn - and no new armor units. The Germans would then have a breather to catch up and stabailize the situation.

As to attacking the para... I would if I could but it would have been at the expense of having a huge hole in the line. Plus since it is only one hex away from the original line it is easy to protect with the armor exploiting the hole.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Paratroopers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI