Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Graphics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> New Graphics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Graphics - 9/18/2008 6:18:56 AM   
osiris_slith

HI

Did anyone at Matrix really think the PzIv icon with weeble wobble head on it was really good looking?
Did the grey SGIII covered with 3 spots of green fungus really look attractive?

Finally does anyone really think the german trucks had a white canvas in a sky swarming with Allied fighters?????????????????

Osiris
Post #: 1
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 6:43:07 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: osiris

HI

Did anyone at Matrix really think the PzIv icon with weeble wobble head on it was really good looking?
Did the grey SGIII covered with 3 spots of green fungus really look attractive?

Finally does anyone really think the german trucks had a white canvas in a sky swarming with Allied fighters?????????????????

Osiris

Feel free to replace the BMP with something you would prefer.

Takes all but a minute.

Jason Petho

(in reply to osiris_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 6:52:29 AM   
osiris_slith

I already did..but I shouldnt have too.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 6:54:43 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

I already did..but I shouldnt have too.

Everyone views the Mona Lisa differently.

Some think it is art, some think it is trash.

Fortunately, you have the option and ability to choose what you prefer.

Jason Petho

Post #: 4
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 7:17:13 AM   
osiris_slith

This message is not for you Jason..its for Matrix and the Matrix Quality control department (if there is such a thing)

So fortunate for Matrix we do have the option..choice

Given the headaches of replacing those icons with more realistic, sensible and logical ones..another customer may have just said to hell with this game and matrix...I came so close to just tossing the whole thing into the garbage and go back to the EF2 version 1.03 and the blitz disk, which as far as I am concerned is still the best update ever. 1.02a and b come a very second close. The formula for those was simple..less eye candy and more practicle fixes, more scenarios. 1.03 was a great idea, with some really bold ideas and radical approaches...but too many compromises led to 1.04...now we have more but actually we have less.

So I took away the more, the unecessary (PzIv with head), the illogical (white top canvas german trucks), it makes no sense but lets do it anyway objects (fungus covered SGIII, Panthers, tigers, german truck canvas which goes up when you load units) 

and now Im happy

message to matrix..you can make customers happy with less!

Rene

Post #: 5
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 12:03:37 PM   
big dawg

Gosh Rene,

Should we open a thread discussing your scenarios? 

Your tone is inappropriate.

Post #: 6
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 12:22:55 PM   
e_barkmann

serenity now!

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 7
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 5:23:35 PM   
marcbarker

Choices are great...but the choice was already made by including those in the install......maybe , just a thought but maybe an options patch like CM: Barbarrosa...they had a special disk for skins and etc for user add ins. Great idea, maybe you will consider something like that in the future..thanks

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 8
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 5:29:49 PM   
osiris_slith

HI Big Dawg

I have not seen a more supportive community of a product than the CS series...and Im very proud to be part of it. Matrix has a treasure box of talented, overly borderline fantatical customers for this product..they will stick with this product...good or bad patches and so on.

Patch 1.03 and all that followed and all that happened can be summarized in those 3 graphic icons..illogical, unecessary and it makes no sense and lets do it anyway..

Some of us could teach military history in universities and colleges with out the damn degrees better than Phds sitting there right now. It would'nt hurt matrix to tap into 4-5 individuals who are well versed in history and ask for there opinions.

I wonder how many graphic artists at Matrix studied military history since the age of 10? I wonder how many of us here in the community have studied military history since we were 10..

Those graphic icons symbolize all that went wrong with 1.03. Matrix has a treasure box of information on its doorstep..it would'nt hurt to ask..personally I would gladly give the information away for free.

Rene

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 9
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 5:41:40 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

it makes no sense but lets do it anyway objects (fungus covered SGIII, Panthers, tigers,...) 

OK.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 10
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 5:42:45 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

the unecessary (PzIv with head),

OK.

Keep in mind, the Panzer IV with the tank commander sticking out is also the company command vehicle(s).

Jason Petho

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 5:44:44 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

the illogical (white top canvas german trucks), 

The logic is simple.

The canvas is up to prevent your enemy from seeing what you're carrying on the trucks.

Jason Petho

Post #: 12
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 5:45:29 PM   
marcbarker

remeber these icons are very very small......does it really matter whetther the fungus has branches...or does it look like stg iii....i do like the aromor to resemble the armor it supposed to represent. Can we get a weed eater or some funicide for it?

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

Post #: 13
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 5:48:51 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: barker

remeber these icons are very very small......does it really matter whetther the fungus has branches...or does it look like stg iii....i do like the aromor to resemble the armor it supposed to represent. Can we get a weed eater or some funicide for it?

Looks like a StuG to me.

Jason Petho

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 9/18/2008 5:49:29 PM >

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 14
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 6:10:19 PM   
timshin42

Wouldn't it also be logical to keep the canvas up so the enemy couldn't tell what, if anything, is in the truck.
As it is the enemy can use his limited resourses to target loaded vehicles and ignore empty ones. Just think about it, (the concept of unrealistic free intelligence to the enemy) please, for possible future changes.

timshin42
"Freedom isn't free"

Post #: 15
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 6:11:09 PM   
tide1212

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Post #: 16
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 6:26:08 PM   
marcbarker

Yeah I was right it has the Miracle Grow coating...nah just kidding....

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to tide1212)
Post #: 17
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 6:32:47 PM   
tide1212

Here ya go Rene

ftp://ftp.theblitz.org/pub/mods/campaign_series/East_Front/

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 18
RE: New Graphics - 9/18/2008 10:57:53 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: barker

Looks like a StuG to me.

Jason Petho

And, some of the leaves have bird's nests in them. Along with the butterfly flitting around the one on the right I thought they looked great.
Some people can't see the StuGs for the trees?

That does bring up a complaint though. I have to make a copy of the US infantry platoon where I saw the second man from the right smiling.

RR

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Post #: 19
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 12:18:10 AM   
tide1212

Ed you saw the butterfly also?  I thought it was just me

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 20
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 12:22:37 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

This message is not for you Jason..its for Matrix and the Matrix Quality control department (if there is such a thing)
So fortunate for Matrix we do have the option..choice

Yes, we do have quality control. No, we do not check icons for subjective artistic quality as part of our quality control. Quality control would be confirming that the icon exists and that a StuG was not replaced with a picture of Elvis.

quote:

Given the headaches of replacing those icons with more realistic, sensible and logical ones..another customer may have just said to hell with this game and matrix...I came so close to just tossing the whole thing into the garbage and go back to the EF2 version 1.03 and the blitz disk, which as far as I am concerned is still the best update ever. 1.02a and b come a very second close. The formula for those was simple..less eye candy and more practicle fixes, more scenarios. 1.03 was a great idea, with some really bold ideas and radical approaches...but too many compromises led to 1.04...now we have more but actually we have less.

How exactly do you have less in v1.04 than in v1.02? Honestly, I'm curious, I just don't see it. The list of fixes is a mile long and the most controversial changes are now optional.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 21
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 12:24:03 AM   
Ladmo

To the Art Critics of the CS Boards,

You are quite right. Any attempts to improve this game by offering enhanced values, rules sets, graphics is a heresy. All along you have shown us the way: "Give me what I want and to hell with everyone else." Too right. I mean, the temerity of suggesting someone move one little bitmap from one file to the other,. This is incredbile: is there no end to outrages the CS Legion will perpetrate! Those things are so damned heavy. I tried to pick one up today and hurt my back. Those lil bastards are even heavier when you print them! And to think, this stuff was free too, made by someone who didn't get a nickel out of it. I can see why you are all so upset. You really have been cruelly used!

And now I must confess that I stand before you guilty, utterly ashamed for having spent so many hours trying to provide this substandard variant artwork. I deserve to be kicked from here to the TOAW Thread for my high crimes. I wish someone could have been there to say "No, no - don't do that. Kick back and gripe alittle. Nothing is better after playing a scenario than logging on an kicking the crap out of Jason because while you may want the game improved, you don't want it improved quite like that. And that guy is always answering those emails and solving problems and being so bloody polite and professional all the time. We really cannot tolerate people like that. If they keep acting that way it may catch on and we will all have to be kind and selfless and giving and dedicated. God, imagine having to live in a world like that.

I apologize for clearly the whiners are correct. I am sure any day now they will burst on the scene with solutions to all CS gaming issues and new artwork that shows mine up as the crap it is. What a golden day that will be. And guys, no worries, eh: I promise I won't do anything more to contribute to CS. I leave that to you...

Post #: 22
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 12:35:06 AM   
tide1212

Ladmo hello again.  I really can't say what I think about this thread but I've wanted to congratulate you and thank you for the art work although I worked directly on the game I didn't see the new art work until I downloaded the full update. I loved it Thanks For The Effort!!!!.

Gary

(in reply to Ladmo)
Post #: 23
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 12:38:46 AM   
Erik Rutins

I have to agree - personally, I like the StuG with camo.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tide1212)
Post #: 24
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 1:24:15 AM   
MrRoadrunner

I see you replied to my post? I hope you were not lumping me in with the complainers. I was using sarcasm to point out the nit picking that Rene/Osiris, Barker, et al. were doing.

I like your artwork. I've even stated, over and over, how much I like the look and feel of 1.04.
If you would remove your arm from the way, I may even be able to give you a pat on the back?

Film at eleven.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

(in reply to Ladmo)
Post #: 25
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 1:32:37 AM   
tide1212

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

I see you replied to my post? I hope you were not lumping me in with the complainers. I was using sarcasm to point out the nit picking that Rene/Osiris, Barker, et al. were doing.

I like your artwork. I've even stated, over and over, how much I like the look and feel of 1.04.
If you would remove your arm from the way, I may even be able to give you a pat on the back?

Film at eleven.

RR

I was just commenting on the butterfly Ed I like butterflys If part of the post wasn't directed at me Ed beg your pardon. I still like butterflys

< Message edited by tide1212 -- 9/19/2008 1:37:42 AM >

Post #: 26
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 1:49:07 AM   
MrRoadrunner

(in reply to Ladmo) <<-------------

Bottom right side of the post Gary.
I knew your sarcasm was built upon mine!
I just thought that I was supporting Jason and the upgraded graphics and I got smacked down by Ladmo.

I thought the butterflies were a cool effect.

No worries.

RR

(in reply to tide1212)
Post #: 27
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 2:18:22 AM   
1925frank

I'm in Ladmo's corner.  Ladmo, thank you for all your efforts.  I'd rather have one Ladmo than 100,000 critics of Ladmo's efforts.

It isn't possible for Matrix to make the game to everyone's specifications.  Mods are available for those persons wanting to make adjustments. 

If you don't find what you like, the forum usually has someone who is both willing and capable to cook something up for you.  The very people who are most capable and most willing to accomodate individual tastes are now feeling alienated and abused for their efforts.

Without naming names, my impression is some posters want what they want and are willing to trash the game, Matrix, and, with relentless complaints, even the CS forum to effectively extort certain concessions from Matrix.  Regardless of the merits of any complaints, I perceive an element of arm-twisting.  I've never found that to be necessary, and if certain posters feel it is necessary for them personally, it may be a by-product of their approach. 

Post #: 28
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 3:04:58 AM   
big dawg

Ladmo,

I like the Stugs too.  In fact I think you had several examples of your work on the mods thread & I asked for more.

Keep it up.  I will gladly include them in my game.

Cheers to all!

Post #: 29
RE: New Graphics - 9/19/2008 6:47:34 AM   
cw58

Ladmo,

I would also like to take a moment and congratulate you on your work. I've tried my hand at a few modifications to graphics icons (with results not nearly as good as yours ) and I think I've got a small understanding of the amount of time and effort that you put into your work. And while I may not use all of the new graphics (yours or any others'), I really like having the choice. I feel that the more options we have, the better. I appreciate your talent and your effort, as well as your willingness to share. Thank you.

Sincerely,
cw58

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> New Graphics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI