Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just watched a film called Thirteen Days

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Just watched a film called Thirteen Days Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 12:07:44 AM   
JudgeDredd

Well, didn't watch all of it...recorded the last hour.

It's about the Cuban Missile Crisis. I don't know how factually correct it is, and I don't really know anything about that particular event...but it looks interesting...looking forward to the recorded finale tomorrow.

Funny thing though...I'd swear I saw the President sign a document and date it Oct 1967...seems the Cuban Missile Crisis happened in 1962?? I suppose I could've read it wrong
Post #: 1
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 12:32:31 AM   
Terminus

Good film, for a Kevin Costner flick.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 7:16:27 AM   
JudgeDredd

I can honestly say I've never seen a bad Kevin Costner film...but vefore that get sme hung, I will clarify I haven't seen them all 

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 7:37:25 AM   
Skipjack

Obviously, you have not seen "Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves"

Not to say he has not made several good ones - I may have to check this one out ...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 7:56:47 AM   
GShock

i guess the sales are the only way to decree whether a film is good or bad. Perhaps dances with wolves was the best seller hence best movie worldwide. I think i've seen this 13 days movie but i don't remember it. As of Robin Hood, i didn't like it much....the subject has been exploited too much and surely it could have been portraited better, however, it's definitely one of those movies whose soundtracks helped the sales a lot. 

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 5
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 8:50:20 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skipjack

Not to say he has not made several good ones - I may have to check this one out ...

True...forgot that one.

I liked Tin Cup, Dances With Wolves, Water World...was he in No Way Out? I didn't see The Postman but heard some bad things...The Guardian I liked...Open Range was enjoyable...despite the revies and the somewhat artistic licence afforded JFK, I liked it...The Bodyguard was alright...Bull Durham (mind you, the fact I think Susan Sarrandon is one of the sexiest woman alive may have swung that one)...Wyatt Earp...and The Untouchables...A Perfect World I thought was brilliant.

I think, personally, he gets a raw deal from critics...I think they've just came to hate him and therefore just pony up with some bad reviews. Certainly I've seen movies he's been criticsed for (probably most of the above) and thought they were enjoyable films.

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 6
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 10:55:43 AM   
Twotribes

The Alamo Siege was 13 days as I recall, probably a better event to make a movie of, especially when you consider 13 days was a political hack job.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 10:56:11 AM   
Dennistoun

I would agree JD. Costner is a very good actor and he has suffered at times from unwarranted negative press from our fickle media, film critics et al. Postman and Waterworld are 2 quite good action and adventure movies that incurred the wrath of the above mentioned but I reckon he gives it his best shot in everything he does. No Way Out is a damn fine movie with a good performance by the ever dependable Will Patton.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 11:09:57 AM   
Krasny

quote:

i guess the sales are the only way to decree whether a film is good or bad.

That's truly crazy talk.

Does that make Norbit an excellent movie?

Was Die Fälscher one of the worst movies ever made?

(in reply to Dennistoun)
Post #: 9
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 12:38:24 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krasny

quote:

i guess the sales are the only way to decree whether a film is good or bad.

That's truly crazy talk.

Does that make Norbit an excellent movie?

Was Die Fälscher one of the worst movies ever made?

Well no sales means no one liked it and huge sales means LOTS of people liked it. So in a sense based on THAT criteria it would be true.

But in other catagories that would not apply. And since a movie is not just rated on sales over all it would be untrue. BUT if I invested ina movie I sure as heck would want it to a commercial success.

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 10
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 1:54:08 PM   
Neilster

The problem is most people are morons. As smart as a box of rocks and about as knowledgeable. Monster trucks, professional wrestling etc...

Now, IMHO if Kevin Costner was any more wooden you could whittle him but if people like him, that's fine.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 11
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 2:08:53 PM   
sullafelix

There was a much better older film. I didn't mind the Costner one except for the horrible Boston accents. Wyatt Earp suffered because of Tombstone I believe. Tombstome is one of my five top movies. The Untouchables is almost as high on my list. I liked the Postman. The only thing I never got was why the bad leaders second in command stayed with him after he emasculated him. I would make it my lifes goal to inflict painful lingering torture on the man.

< Message edited by sulla05 -- 9/21/2008 2:12:01 PM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 12
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 3:28:20 PM   
GShock

The tombstone movie u talk about is the one with Val Kilmer in the spoils of Doc Holliday? (There's another tombstone with Kurt Russel as Earp I am unsure on the two)

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 13
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 4:30:50 PM   
Grell

I have both Tombstone movies by both Russel and Costner. They are both good movies.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 14
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 5:38:58 PM   
sullafelix

Gshock it is the same movie. Russel as Earp and Kilmer as Holiday.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 15
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 6:39:32 PM   
Dennistoun

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

There was a much better older film.

There is an older movie (1974) based on the Cuban Missile Crisis called "The Missiles of October" starring William Devane and Martin Sheen. I have recently bought it but have yet to watch it.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 16
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 6:47:36 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: teddy

I would agree JD. Costner is a very good actor and he has suffered at times from unwarranted negative press from our fickle media, film critics et al. Postman and Waterworld are 2 quite good action and adventure movies that incurred the wrath of the above mentioned but I reckon he gives it his best shot in everything he does. No Way Out is a damn fine movie with a good performance by the ever dependable Will Patton.

He, (Costner) was pretty good in that recent Western with Robert Duvall. Although I can't recall the title of it right now....

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Dennistoun)
Post #: 17
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 7:07:14 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: teddy

He, (Costner) was pretty good in that recent Western with Robert Duvall. Although I can't recall the title of it right now....

That would be Open Range

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 18
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 9:38:48 PM   
sullafelix

That's the one I was thinking about Teddy.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 19
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/21/2008 9:56:30 PM   
GaryChildress

Dances With Wolves is one of my favorite movies of all time. That and A Bridge Too Far.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 20
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/22/2008 12:57:08 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

True...forgot that one.

I liked Tin Cup, Dances With Wolves, Water World...was he in No Way Out? I didn't see The Postman but heard some bad things...The Guardian I liked...Open Range was enjoyable...despite the revies and the somewhat artistic licence afforded JFK, I liked it...The Bodyguard was alright...Bull Durham (mind you, the fact I think Susan Sarrandon is one of the sexiest woman alive may have swung that one)...Wyatt Earp...and The Untouchables...A Perfect World I thought was brilliant.

I think, personally, he gets a raw deal from critics...I think they've just came to hate him and therefore just pony up with some bad reviews. Certainly I've seen movies he's been criticsed for (probably most of the above) and thought they were enjoyable films.

The Postman is one of his better movies. The book by David Brin is way, way better than the movie of course, but the movie does a passable job of capturing the spirit of the book. Actually, Will Patton steals the show as his depiction of the maniacal bad guy is awesome.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/22/2008 3:55:35 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

True...forgot that one.

The Postman is one of his better movies. The book by David Brin is way, way better than the movie of course, but the movie does a passable job of capturing the spirit of the book. Actually, Will Patton steals the show as his depiction of the maniacal bad guy is awesome.

Whats the name of the book and was the author? I just might need to buy that.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 22
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/22/2008 4:19:43 PM   
HansBolter

The book is the same name as the movie: The Postman, by David Brin.

Can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Postman-Bantam-Classics-David-Brin/dp/0553278746/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222096764&sr=1-1

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 23
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/22/2008 10:22:32 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

True...forgot that one.

Will Patton was good (and maniacal) in No Way Out as well.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 24
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/22/2008 11:37:00 PM   
ezzler

Thirteen days is an excellent movie. Factually accurate as far as I know. A bit of schmaltz thrown in for Hollywood, but the Kennedy brothers and the top brass and advisors are all well played.
very good movie.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 25
RE: Just watched a film called Thirteen Days - 9/23/2008 5:31:03 AM   
Unhappy

I don't think anyone mentioned Field of Dreams.  That is a favourite of lots of folks, just check out the gushing praise on IMDB.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Just watched a film called Thirteen Days Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI